TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bob_barron

Wrestlemania IX

Let's see: A countout in the I-C title match, two DQs, and a 26 second title match.

It's Wrestlemania!

I will say that the atmosphere for the show is awesome, and Caesar's Palace was a great place to hold the show.

I know I've said it before a million times (and Bob basically said it before me) but all of this show really has going for it is its atmosphere. One of the two or three best WrestleMania venues ever IMHO. There may be two matches on that show that break the ** barrier (Shawn Michaels/Tatanka and The Headshrinkers/Steiner Brothers).

The problem with the show is they seemed to book themselves into a corner with all the matches:

They don't want to take the belt off HBK, but don't want to end Tatanka's undefeated streak.

They want to push Narcissist to the moon, but don't want to have Perfect do a clean job since he just beat Flair.

They can't put the belts on the Megamaniacs, but Hogan can't job.

They can't job Bret cleanly, because then Hogan has no reason to come out and protest.

They should've just had Giant Gonzales win, it would've killed the stupid streak before it began and saved everyone a lot of trouble in later years.

Also, if they're pushing the Steiners, they should've made the match an exhibition for them, not the Headshrinkers controlling most of the way. And why does Razor Ramon beat Backlund with a cradle- destroy him with the Edge.

Such a bad show.

I've seen this too many times for such a mediocre show. I'd wear my PPV VHS copy out as a kid for some reason.

If anything, the show serves as evidence for just how bland the Fed's roster was at this point. There's that weird transition where the WWF started to lose some of their more popular mainstays (Hogan, LOD, Warrior) and the company didn't have the resources to immediately replace them.

And one of their biggest stars, Savage isn't even on the show. I always thought they should've done Perfect-Flair at Wrestlemania and used Savage to put over Luger.

And one of their biggest stars, Savage isn't even on the show. I always thought they should've done Perfect-Flair at Wrestlemania and used Savage to put over Luger.

That would have been a pretty good idea. I have no idea why Vince was so determined to keep Savage at the broad booth. I understand wanting to push new talent (at this point in time they had to) but not utilizing someone who had so much to offer was stupid. And despite what wwe.com would have you believe, Savage showed everyone what he still had left in his WCW stint.

WM9 was definitely the weakest of all the cards. Even as bad as WM4 was, you still had Savage and Demolition winning the titles. Even Bret/Yoko was a strange main event. As good as Bret was, there is only so much he could get out of Yoko.

I think their WM X match is worse, their WM IX match is decent. I love Bret's strategy for the match. I heard their cage matches in summer 93 were really good

It's definately not a good show, but It's nowhere near the worst Wrestlemania (It's better than 1, 4, and 15). The opener and the main event were way better than I remembered them being. I didn't like Bret/Yoko at 10, but Bret showed a lot of fire in this match and all of his moves looked great against Yoko. Luger/Perfect and Steiners/Shrinkers were watchable as well. The spot in the Steiners tag where the Shrinkers have Rick up for the Doomsday Device and Rick catches him and powerslams him off the other Shrinker's shoulders is fantastic.

The card just didn't feel like a Wrestlemania. The outdoors setting and the ring and all the glitz and glamour were neat, but the card just seemed to be lacking. Why didn't they do Shawn/Marty here, or have Macho face Luger, Taker could've faced Yoko, Steiners face Money Inc, hell they could've just had Bret/Macho.

Too many heels won, six of nine matches as I recall. Those wins even then were Tatanka by countout, Undertaker by DQ and Steiners by pin (not counting the Hogan/Yoko stuff). At some point you need to give your fans something more to cheer for.

I agree with whoever said the card itself was lackluster on paper. Did any of these matches have hot feuds going into them except Perfect-Luger and Hogan/Beefcake-Money Inc? I don't even remember any of the buildup for Bret-Yoko except Luger blindsiding Bret at the WMIX press conference.

I agree with whoever said the card itself was lackluster on paper. Did any of these matches have hot feuds going into them except Perfect-Luger and Hogan/Beefcake-Money Inc? I don't even remember any of the buildup for Bret-Yoko except Luger blindsiding Bret at the WMIX press conference.

I remember Yoko attacking Bret during the contract signing and giving him a Banzai Drop but that's about it.

I think their WM X match is worse, their WM IX match is decent. I love Bret's strategy for the match. I heard their cage matches in summer 93 were really good

A friend of mine saw Bret vs Yoko in a cage at a house show. It ended with Lawler throwing the salt into Bret's eyes.

Outside of the contract signing, there really was no big build for the title match. You realize now that match was almost 15 years ago?

Not a whole lot more needs to be said about how bad the card is. I don't mind watching it, though, because the atmosphere is just awesome.

One thing that always bothered me about the Bret-Yoko match was the finish. Bret simply had salt thrown in his eyes, and Yoko just crawls over and pins him like that? He couldn't have dropped a leg after the salt? Still, you have to love the USA chants during the match, as well as Hogan saying that he predicts the title will stay in the USA! (referring to a Bret win, of course, not himself)

I can only think of one or two worse PPV's that WWE has done. Off the top of my head, anyway.

I can only think of one or two worse PPV's that WWE has done. Off the top of my head, anyway.

King of the Ring '95

Over the Edge '99

ECW Discember to Dismember '06

Those come to mind off the top of my head.

Which ones?

Off the top of my head- I remember liking King of The Ring '95, King of The Ring '99, the first Judgement Day, and WrestleMania XV all less than WrestleMania IX. Granted, I haven't watched any of those more than once or twice. Some of those early In Your Houses are pretty dire. Haven't had the misfortune of seeing Over The Edge or December to Dismember.

Which ones?

Off the top of my head- I remember liking King of The Ring '95, King of The Ring '99, the first Judgement Day, and WrestleMania XV all less than WrestleMania IX. Granted, I haven't watched any of those more than once or twice. Some of those early In Your Houses are pretty dire. Haven't had the misfortune of seeing Over The Edge or December to Dismember.

Dismember to Dismember is simply not PPV quality at all. The portion of the card in the middle would rank as good if shown on a syndicated weekend show.

Over the Edge has Owen Hart of course. The rest of the card really dies after that, no wrestler has any real interest in the card, with good reason. They were obviously just going through the paces.

"Over the Edge has Owen Hart of course. The rest of the card really dies after that"

oh you cheeky bastard

Not the best use of language, but you get the idea. It wasn't just a PPV with a tragic accident. The wrestling was subpar isolated from that incident.

What's funny is that all the shows surronding this show were good to great. Survivor Series 92 had Bret/HBK and Perfect-Savage/Flair-Ramon, Royal Rumble 93 had HBK/Jannetty, a good rumble and Bret/Ramon, King of the Ring had three great Bret matches, Summerslam 93 had Bret/Lawler, Steiners/Heavenly Bodies, HBK/Perfect and Survivor Series 93 had some very good work in the elimination matches. This was the big show, yet easily the worst of the bunch.

I agree. Maybe it was just because it was the time I was just getting into wrestling but I think all of the PPVs in '93 are really solid except WMIX.

Another PPV I thought of that's probably as bad as WMIX---King of The Ring '02. RVD/Jericho saves it from being worse but other than that it's the drizzling shits.

WWF King of the Ring '95

King of the Ring '99

Never seen December to Dismember, so it didn't come to mind.

The problem with the show is they seemed to book themselves into a corner with all the matches:

Also, if they're pushing the Steiners, they should've made the match an exhibition for them, not the Headshrinkers controlling most of the way. And why does Razor Ramon beat Backlund with a cradle- destroy him with the Edge.

Such a bad show.

"he beat the wrestler with wrestling!"

Wrestlemania 11 was really bad for me. It didn't feel like a Wrestlemania at all.

The WWF talent pool was very thin during Wrestlemania 11. The Royal Rumble match itself earlier in the year had the weakest amount of contestants ever. And King of the Ring 95 would be a disaster. But I thought HBK/Diesel was good and LT/Bam Bam turned out pretty good itself. Plus, Owen Hart won his first title.

Over the Edge 99...well, we know what happened with Owen. As for the card itself, it was nothing special. No matches that really stood out. Taker won his 3rd WWF title that night but it's a match you'll probably never see.

Over the Edge 99...well, we know what happened with Owen. As for the card itself, it was nothing special. No matches that really stood out. Taker won his 3rd WWF title that night but it's a match you'll probably never see.

i can't see WWE ever releasing it...

But illegal youtube videos will never die!!!

Part 1

Part 2

Part 4

WM IX was coming off too many fun WM shows and it had no real sizzle. The WWF did some timeless TV in 1993 but I never thought that initial Raw excitement translated to the PPVs at all.

You know though, I don't think WM XV is as bad as reputed. The main problem with it is that it doesn't really feel like a WM all that much, more just another typical PPV like Backlash or something. At the time I ranted against that show (I think I said the ECW PPV the previous week was better) but it's somewhat silly and enjoyable on the Russo trashy level.