TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Just call me Dan

Grand Slams in the WWE

Since you can't hold the European Title anymore, and with the addition of another world, midcard, and tag title, what would be considered a Grand Slam now?

Has anyone actually held the grand slam in the company?

Would you consider the Grand Slam now to encompass six titles?

If so, there may be only one person I can think of who's won them all.

Edge held the WWE title (from Cena), the WHC (from Taker), the WWE tag titles (w/ Mysterio) the WTTC (w/Christian, Benoit, etc.), the IC title (multiple times) and the US title (from Angle (?))

Is that fair to consider so many titles?

What do you guys think?

Actually, I'm sure Jeff Hardy is the only wrestler who is left that can still win the Grand Slam under it's original definition(since the European Title is no longer around) if he ever wins the WWE Title. Also, Im sure you can replace the WCW Belts w/ their WWF/E counterparts as substitutes.

Like the U.S. Title could sub for the IC Title, The WWE Tag Belts(WCW) could sub for World Tag Team(WWF/E), World Heavyweight for WWE Title

Grand Slam implies 4 titles, and it's very unlikely that anyone besides Edge will ever hold all 6 current titles..so I don't think there's such thing as the Grand Slam anymore. Not to take anything away from the few men who did earn the GS, but now it should just be the Triple Crown or something (WWE or WHT, IC or US, Tag). It's not like the European Title ever meant anything anyways.

It's not like the European Title ever meant anything anyways.

I don't know... I thought in the 1st few years of the title excistence it was a very good lower-midcard title. Similar to WCW's TV Title... There were some very good feuds over the title... The X-Pac/D-Lo Brown feud was awesome, as was HHH/Owen, X-Pac/Shane McMahon, and D-Lo/Venis... But after Shane McMahon retired the belt, and Mideon came back with it, it just wasn't the same,

Actually, I'm sure Jeff Hardy is the only wrestler who is left that can still win the Grand Slam under it's original definition(since the European Title is no longer around) if he ever wins the WWE Title.

Val Venis and William Regal are also a WWE title away from it. The wikipedia article on the WWE Grand Slam is pretty good.

I always wanted a European Championship belt since I thought it looked the coolest followed by the old IC Belt (when speaking specifically about the WWF/E...the big gold belt owns all for me).

I think since the term 'grand slam' was a play on the baseball definition with four points, scores, runs... it would mean the four biggest titles which at the time is what they had; Euro, IC, HW, Tag. Now I guess maybe you'd do it by brand? I'm not sure that would work because no brand has four belts. And would you put the ECW title higher than IC/US ?

Perhaps we fans should concede 'grand slam champion' is an archaic term?

I would definitely consider the ECW title higher than the IC/US. For example this year at Mania the ECW title has TWO matches surrounding it. IC and US has none. And the ECW title is pretty much the title to fight for on one brand, the IC and US titles are purely secondary on their own brands. I'd rate it like 1a/b. WWE/World title, 2. ECW, 3a/b. IC/US.

Isn't the Big Show only a WWE Tag Team, and IC title away from having held all the major belts.

WWE, World Heavyweight, ECW, World Tag Team with Kane right?, US Title

I don't know... I thought in the 1st few years of the title excistence it was a very good lower-midcard title. Similar to WCW's TV Title... There were some very good feuds over the title... The X-Pac/D-Lo Brown feud was awesome, as was HHH/Owen, X-Pac/Shane McMahon, and D-Lo/Venis... But after Shane McMahon retired the belt, and Mideon came back with it, it just wasn't the same,

Greatest gimmick of the Euro title was Al Snow, when he came to the ring each week dressed from a different European country. Greece was the best, as he dressed up like a character from the movie and not the country.

Greatest gimmick of the Euro title was Al Snow, when he came to the ring each week dressed from a different European country. Greece was the best, as he dressed up like a character from the movie and not the country.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=t1HXZoiAzbk

Guest ForumPro

In my opinion, it's a Grant Slam if you get to main event in WrestleMania. This is the highest honors in entertainment in alot of ways, I feel, because there are only two people in a main event, and nothing else is that exclusive. Even if you win the Oscars, you're not the only person that wins, because a lot of people are in movies on the cast and crew alike, and you beat lots of other movies too, but when you're in WrestleMania, it's just you and the other person, with everyone watching you, so that is probably the highest achievement, because winning the championship at WrestleMania is so big, that really, in a lot of respects, it's like you win a championship even if you lose, because you're on such a high stage in front of so many people. It's more of a championship to lose at WrestleMania than to win at RAW. Okay, this is just my option.

In my opinion, it's a Grant Slam if you get to main event in WrestleMania. This is the highest honors in entertainment in alot of ways, I feel, because there are only two people in a main event, and nothing else is that exclusive. Even if you win the Oscars, you're not the only person that wins, because a lot of people are in movies on the cast and crew alike, and you beat lots of other movies too, but when you're in WrestleMania, it's just you and the other person, with everyone watching you, so that is probably the highest achievement, because winning the championship at WrestleMania is so big, that really, in a lot of respects, it's like you win a championship even if you lose, because you're on such a high stage in front of so many people. It's more of a championship to lose at WrestleMania than to win at RAW. Okay, this is just my option.

Not always..

dont forget as a vampire from Transylvania.

Transylvania was great but I thought Stereotypical Italian was the best. Test sold a cardboard pizza box like a chairshot and I think a picture of Tony Danza was involved.

I laugh my ass off when I hear people ranking the ECW title higher than the IC title.. unreal.

One is getting defended at Wrestlemania, one isn't.

Whether or not it's being defended at WM is of no consequence. One of the guys who holds the title is in a gimmick match for a WWE/World title shot.

Even still..

- the IC title has a more prestigious lineage than the ECW title.

- the IC title is the second in line on the A show. The ECW title is the only title on the C show, and it's pretty much a joke.

I'm not talking history and lineage, I'm just talking about right now.

When was the last time there was an actual sustained feud for the IC title?

And I don't actually consider the existing IC and US titles to have the lineage that most do. To me they began in 2003 when Christian won the IC title in the battle royal at Judgment Day and Eddie Guerrero won the US title at Vengeance. Then again the same would be said of the ECW title which began when RVD started sporting it on the first ECW TV show since WWE brought it back.

As for the IC title being second in line on Raw, yeah sure it is, but the gap between it and the WWE title might as well make it a third tier title. And in theory the MITB winner could use the briefcase to get an ECW title shot. You don't get that for the IC title.

The way they've been saying the winner gets a choice at ANY title without specifying "world" (they were doing this last year too) makes me think in kayfabe, they actually can go after the IC or US title. You'd just be a huge opportunity on something like that, and I would consider the same true if CM Punk were to cash in a MITB victory to challenge Chavo Guerrero.