TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JN News

Favorite Wrestlemania from each era

Name your favorite Wrestlemania of all time from each era of WWF/WWE, and why.

Federation Years:Wrestlemania 4 - This PPV centered around only one thing. The WWF Title. It actually made that belt look important. Savage & Elizabeth's happy ending after Savage's title win was just awesome.

Attitude Era:Wrestlemania 17 - The very last 'Mania & PPV of the WWF's boom period. E&C winning the tag titles, and Austin becoming a 5-time WWF Champion were my favorites in this one.

The Current Era:Wrestlemania 20 - The 20th Wrestlemania at MSG, which saw two wrestlers that are now no longer with us embrace in a joyous celebration, as Benoit & Guerrero both left that PPV as World Champions.

Your turn......

Federation Era: WrestleMania III (Yeah- this is kind of a two match show but the whole card has an unbelieveable energy and atmosphere to it that makes even the forgettable matches incredibly watchable)

Attitude Era: WrestleMania X-7

Current era: WrestleMania XX

Federation Era: WM III

Attitude Era: WM XIV holds place in my heart, so even though it wasn't the best, it's my favorite.

Current Era: WM XX

Federation Era: III. This was the first PPV I ever saw, and it still feels special every time I watch it. Savage/Steamboat remains my second-favourite WM match of all time.

Attitude Era: X-7. Probably the best ever, even with the awful ending.

Current Era: XX. Even knowing what happened to them afterward, I still get chills at the finish of the main event. A very well done show, and being at MSG adds immeasurably to the atmosphere.

VIII, for reasons I explained in detail in the Mania VIII thread.

X7 for being the pinnacle of the Attitude era.

23, because I was there. XX is still a great show but it is forever tainted.

There's also a really good thread from 2 years ago or so that's a survey of Favourite / Least favourite Mania matches and such. Very similar to Al's "Mania Awards" thread, actually.

Federation Era: WM VIII.

WM VII is a VERY close second, but rewatching VIII last week, just don't think so. VIII gets rid of a good amount of filler and has two classics: Bret-Piper and Flair-Savage. VII only has Warrior-Savage... not to say there isn't any other good stuff, but that's the one match that I would call classic. Besides that, VIII just has a unique feel, if that makes sense. And the commentary rocks.

Attitude: X7

As if there was any doubt. After that I'd probably say XIV, if you consider it Attitude. Rewatching XIV yesterday, it's a really solid show. Nothing spectacular, but nothing actively bad. I seriously can't tell you how psyched I was for Taker-Kane back then.

Current Era: XX

It's tainted, but watching it back in 2004 was just amazing. It can stand to lose both 4-way tags (sorry RVD & Book...) and the Cruiser match should have been just Rey vs. Chavo, but it's still a great show. Runner-up is 21. The only disappointment I had for that was Cena-JBL.

Pretty original answers...

Just to say something different...

Federation Era : VIII. I like III but I prefer Piper/Hart - Flair/Savage over Savage-Steamboat.

Attitude Era : X-7.

Current Era : XX. The finale is pretty much in my top 3 wrestling moments ever, despite of what happened to Benoit and Guerrero. All the big matches delivered wrestling wise more than the following WMs, with the exception of Angle/Michaels. The return of the Deadman gimmick is still a great markout moment. The only matches that slows down the card are the two 4-ways, Goldberg/Lesnar is an entertaining trainwreck.

I don't know if XIX is fitting in the current era or the Attitude era, but it takes second place either way as it really is an underrated Wrestlemania. I think the frustration comes more from the booking of the event with the Booker/HHH match and all the focus being on McMahon/Hogan instead of Angle/Lesnar. Still, it is a very good show with solid matches.

I still don't see how Angle/Michaels was that good. The match makes no sense. Michaels, who was NEVER a mat wrestler, dominates an Olympic Champion on the mat for ten minutes, Angle then destroys HBK's back which he promptly no sells as usual, then Angle wins with an anklelock after ZERO work was done on the ankle, as usual. Give me Taker/Bats or Cena/HHH over that one as matces that exceeded expectations.

FEDERATION YEARS: WM I.

I'm a Piper mark, and the heat for this main event is off the charts. It's also the reason we still have the WWF/WWE as a dominating force today, so I take that into heavy account. Nothing worth watching outside of the main event, which is horrible from an actual quality standpoint, but I love watching Piper in the 80's.

ATTITUDE ERA: WM X7.

Perfect all-around. I remember going "HOLY SHIT" so many times during this show, and I think the only other PPV that the WWF/WWE has done since to come close to matching it in overall quality has been Vengeance '03.

CURRENT: WM 22.

The second MitB. Edge/Foley. The great crowd interaction during HHH/Cena. I don't remember any other matches, because those are the only ones I need to remember at all. Edge/Foley may just be my favorite 'Mania match ever. Outside of Benoit/HHH/HBK from XX, I can't think of any other really solid match. 'Taker/Kane was shitty, save for 'Taker's entrance, and Lesnar/Goldberg was only enjoyable in the sense that the crowd hated both men. 21 is pretty solid, 23 was "meh," so I'll take the post-X7 'Mania with my favorite match on it, which would be 22.

Federation Years - Tossup between V and VIII. VIII was light years better but V holds a special charm to me. Trump Plaza was by far my favorite Mania venue despite the yuppie crowd. Eh, I'll go V since I saw a chunk of it fairly recently. Then again, maybe I should go w/ III. I feel like Bobby Heenan making a battle royal prediction.

Attitude Years - X-7. Is there even a choice? XIV was alright, similiar to I in that they ushered in a new era of wrestling but the shows themselves aren't all that startling. I do think 13 (not sure if this Attitude era or not) gets a bit of a bum steer. Besides Austin/Hart, the streetfight was extremly entertaining, and Rocky helping Rocky was a fun moment. I also enjoyed the dynamic between DBS/Owen and Vader/Mankind. But yeah, X-7 is the III of the Attitude Era.

Current - XXIII. The Benoit stuff ruined it just enough to bump XX out of any "favorite" categories. To be honest, the MiTB Manias just bleed together for me. Nothing stands out but I'll go w/ XXIII due to Ford Field and the fact that the ECW Originals scored the upset win of 07 by defeating the New Breed. Plus, I remember the wrestling being plenty solid.

Federation Era - Wrestlemania VI - Not necessarily for match quality, but this was the first PPV I ever saw as a kid. The Ultimate Warrior was what made me a wrestling fan, and his victory over Hulk Hogan cemented me as a permanent wrestling fan.

Attitude Era - Wrestlemania X-SEVEN - A fantastic PPV from beginning to end, and IMO, the end-all-be-all Wrestlemania. Austin's heel turn, E&C winning the ladder match, Angle and "that guy's" clinic, and even the Hardcore match was excellent.

Get the F Out Era - Wrestlemania 21 - The thought of Big Dave becoming World Champion over HHH had me the most excited I had been for a Wrestlemania since X-SEVEN.

Guest Bigelow34

Fed Era: Wrestlemania VI - for the exact reasons listed by Haws. It was the first PPV I was a fan for and it rocked. I love the atmosphere and it is Jesse and Gorilla at their best.

Attitude: X-7: Top to bottom greatness. Great commentary, great matches, great crowd, end of an era, all the usual praise...

Current: XIX: So underrated and loaded with good stuff. Great atmosphere and some cool moments in Austin's final match, Piper's return, Michaels first Mania match in 5 years and Angle wrestling despite being nearly crippled. XX and XXIII are close behind it. I was at XX and will always be fond of the night but b/ween Benoit and the rest of the card being subpar, I think XIX edges it.

Federation:

WrestleMania 6: Even though Hulk lost, I still find the match between he and the Warrior to be one of the best WrestleMania matches. I loved the atmosphere at the SkyDome. WrestleMania 1 through 8 are all wonderful. With the exception of a few, the rest of them are garbage. 10 was good because it answered all the questions left open by 9. I thought 17, 18 and 19 were great although I don't know if the experts consider that trilogy to be part of the attitude or current era.

Federation: WM 8, shortlyu followed by WM 6. 6 for nostalgia purposes since it was the first one I saw and I loved me some Warrior. I didn't get a chance to see 8 in full until 1999, but when I saw it...DAMN! Pretty much my favorite Mania ever if I had to pick just one.

Attitude: This is really weird for me, as I crossed over into smarkhood somewhere between XV and 2000, and honestly Mania just didn't have the same significance for me during this period. X-7 is easily the best show on paper, but 1) I didn't see it live, 2) I saw the Austin turn coming a mile away, and 3) I didn't see HHH/Taker (the match I REALLY wanted to see) until 6 months later, and was underwhelmed at that. That leaves me to choose between XIV and XV, and believe it or not I actually liked the latter more. Even at the time I could see that it was pretty bad for a Mania, but the HHH turn alone pushes this over the top for me. So somehow, XV ends up being my favorite of the bunch...

WWE: XX hands down...the show was too a little long for my tastes, but there was a lot of good stuff going on with the two MEs, the return of Old School Taker, and the conclusion of the Jericho/Trish/Christian saga (I saw Trish's turn coming too, but it came off really well).

Federation: 7 for pure nostalgia, but 8 is right behind.

Attitude: 17, followed by 18

Entertainment: 20 for obvious reasons, 19 is very close second.

III Just for the greatness of Piper and the magnitude of the event.

17 because it's the best ever

24 because Flair's retirement is either my favorite Mania moment ever...or second after Austin/Hart. It would be 20...but with Eddie dead and Benoit...Benoit it just doesn't FEEL the same anymore.