TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Diamonddust

Wrestlemania XXIV Discussion Thread

Show is now an impressive 1-6. Lucky for him they split Carlito and Masters up / decided to have The Spirit Squad win them on Raw because I thought for sure they were winning the belts at Mania 22.

Guest frostdude1

Loved tonight's show, it was definitely the best overall Wrestlemania since XX.

Finlay vs JBL was nice and short and good thing they didn't do any stupid Hornswaggle wacky moment to take away from the brawl.

MITB was fantastic as always and Punk winning was beyond great and setup the rest of the show nicely for me.

Batista vs Umaga was a borefest as Tista's matches usually are ... but the good thing I liked about it was the crowd turning on Tista during the match.

Kane vs Chave was LOL nothing unexpected.

Flair vs Michaels was a match I wish I had paid attention to more but I was watching at a packed bar and was not paying attention too much during this one but from what I saw, it was an emotional roller coaster and the ending was classic.

BunnyMania was what you would expect but the lights going off was cool and made the match more interesting ... and it looked even though they got some of the lights back on for the rest of the night, not the whole thing was back to normal.

Triple threat was another one where I will have to watch again and to appreciate and grade better but I felt that it was too shot but the ending was very nice and I had no problem with Orton going over .. they made him look reaaaaaal good going over the 2 biggest stars tonight.

Mayweather vs Show was in terms of crowd reaction/excitement/overachieving the best match of the night. Hardly a missed spot and everything seemed to have gone smoothly with a sick finish.

Taker vs Edge was very very nice. I knew Taker would win but I was wholeheartedly cheering for Edge and thought he would win at a point but you gotta send the crowd home happy.

So overall the show was very entertaining and it was better than the past 3 wrestlemanias and Vince surprised the hell out of me by not appearing once on camera. The only bad thing tonight was the commentating which was weak overall but the crowd was fantastic, especially since they were outdoors.

Excellent show tonight.

JBL/Finlay - Not what I was expecting, instead of an old school brawl, it was a new-age garbage match.

**1/2

MitB - I enjoyed this match quite a bit; more than the 2nd one. Great spots, and no real slow part.

Batista/Umaga - just there

ECW Title - 9 seconds, actually worked for the participants.

1/2*

Flair/Michaels - Great story with a classic ending

BunnyMania - They tried.

Triple Threat - Very reminiscent of the WM22 Triple Threat in that everything felt condensed, albeit very good . The ending was perfect for the storyline.

***3/4

Mayweather/Big Show - Surprisingly, very fun. Mayweather did more than probably even LT. The media should have fun with the fact that Mayweather used brass knuckle to win the fight.

***1/4

Edge/Taker - I felt like this had the most heat, outside of the Flair match. The last 3/4ths of the match was outstanding, WrestleMania main-event caliber stuff.

****1/2

With all the cool false finishes in Edge / Undertaker, I actually thought Edge might have had a chance of ending the Streak. It was great booking really.

Oh yeah...I'd forgotten that was the first time Cena's lost a Mania match.

Coolness.

It was fitting that Orton was the one, who pinned him since Orton had never defeated Cena by pinfall until tonight.

Orton's victory was historic because not only did he win without McMahon's help, but he was the first world champion to retain in a triple threat match at Wrestlemania and he won clean!

Let the build begin for Michaels vs Undertaker at WMXXV, In their Home State, make it career vs career/streak just for kicks.

I was reading some feedback on Meltzer's site and apparently the WWE should never do an outdoor event again since it made the crowd seem minimal. Maybe it was just me, but I thought the crowd was fantastic all night and they throughly enjoyed the atmopshpere. I'll admit having a WrestleMania in the Spring Time in Florida was a Gutsy decision, but It worked out in the end and the WWE got what it hoped for. The only match I was disappointed with was Batista/Umaga. I don't know how you can say the Bunny match was the worst because it obviously was meant to be a crowd cool downer and the crowed still enjoyed the Snoop/Santino interaction even w/ the power outage.

I for one enjoy her ass.

As for the show, Punk winning and the Flair/HBK match were the highlights and it looks like a purchase for the ol' video library.

Man, loved this Mania.

Flair/Michaels ruled, even though HBK started to slip a bit into his retarded mode, that match was fucking awesome.

Loved Mayweather/Show.

Glad Orton went over, he's the best heel right now, and he's finally looking strong after getting Superkicked like 5 weeks in a row by Michaels, and then pretty much getting owned by Jericho. His reign is starting to hit it's stride.

Edge/Taker might have been Taker's best Mania match to me. Haven't been that into a Taker match since the Orton Mania match, and Edge comes out of this looking good.

Oh yeah and as far as special Cena entrances, this was the best one yet. The visual of the lights down, Cena standing between a marching band and the people actually cheering for him was pretty damn cool. Simple and so damn effective.

2 FAST 2 FURIOUS Cena was hilarious.

But this one felt like the first legit special entrance. Really, the lights going out helped with it and the fact that Cena didn't act too much like a hyped up jackass in between the marching band.

Fuck, lights should have stayed out for the rest of the night.

Some people, Meltzer included, must have been watching the show on some crappy mono TV with one speaker that was barely working. I thought the crowd was great.

Yea, this crowd debate is so odd. It was hot the whole night except for Bunnymania and 1st 10 mins of Taker/Edge.

It was even hot for Batista/Umaga (U-U-UMAGA) and very hot for anything the Big Show did in the last bit of his match.

Crowd was great, but we got surround sound here... maybe others were watching in an element where the sound wasn't good.

U-U-UMAGA! Hopefully catches on, and I can imagine them not being happy with the whole front of the hard camera crowd being big Umaga fans and shitting on Batista.

Where can I get hold of one of those 'We Hate Cena' T's? Obviously ones that weren't worn by big sweaty fat people. WWE should make them :P

HBK/Flair was amazing, truely amazing. The emotion coming from the match was pretty intense towards the end, and the downplayed lone walk back the locker room of Flair was perfect. Ric Flair and HBK should be proud of that match, and Flair should know that his last match probably stole the show at WM24.

Crowd was great, but we got surround sound here... maybe others were watching in an element where the sound wasn't good.

Yes, I was watching in surround as well.

Some people seem to be of the opinion that if the crowd isn't coming up with cute chants the entire night and popping for every single move, it isn't a "hot crowd." There's still such a thing as "paying attention to the match."

I gave in and ordered it last night, and I wasn't disappointed. Best match was obviously Flair vs HBK, and the best part of the night was right after HBK slapped Flair early in the match, causing Flair's mouth to bleed, to which Flair replies "First blood, Brother" - sounds sorta weird in print, but it was pretty bad ass. I was hoping he would have left his boots in the ring, but it's certainly not going to take away from the match.

Finlay vs Bradshaw was solid for what it was, stiff as one would expect. I still think JBL was 100x more valuable as the CC guy for Smackdown.

Money in the Bank was probably the second best one of the lot. Maybe it was because there was so many legit possibilities to win with Jeff Hardy out. Punk wining is actually a surprise. They had solid spots, and inly one botch. Benjamin once again was the MVP of the match. Speaking of MVP - Why did Hardy run in out of the crowd in his ring gear, specifically without his shirt on. Yeah, when you have to nitpick it means it was a good match. Nobody seemed to want to catch Nitro when he did the moonsault with the ladder to the outside bit.

Raw vs SD! match wasn't bad, but it was just there. While I'm a hater, Batista does surprise me in spots. His jumping from cage to cage in the Punjabi Prison Match, then the "top rope induced tombstone flip" in the Elimination Chamber were solid spots. There was really nothing last night, but I think the two could have a solid feud if that is the direction they want to take. The Demon bomb spot where Batista fell down actually added to the match and the finish.

ECW Title match was so damn predictable solely because Chavo took so damn long to get to the ring. I hope the two have a return match on ECW this week and are given the time to put opn a solid match.

Flair vs HBK - I've already touched on it, but it was worth the price of the PPV alone. It wasn't the best work rate ever, but the story and emotion was top notch. I'm glad Charles Robinson worked the match as well. That moonsault out onto the table had to have injured HBK. Then Flair totally misses on catching him on the outside.

Bunnymania was fluff. Ashley is absolutely HORRID! I think she needs to be fired. Candace would have been so much better in the role and match. I didn't understand Lawler getting involved though, when Snoop was going to do his bit later.

Triple Threat match was the letdown match of the night. It really didn't click for me. HHH has dropped a lot of mass and when compared to Cena was outright orange. You can tell he tans in a bottle whereas Orton probably hits the tanning beds. Anyways, I was surprised Orton retained, and dare I say I think HHH should have won. They probably didn't want to have all titles change hands in one night though. I just don't know what is left for Orton right now. Cena is terrible. This is the first time I'll admit he deserved all the criticism he gets. His finisher STFU is ridiculously sloppy in that he isn't pulling back at all on his opponents head, to the point where Ortons head is wobbling around in the space between his arms. Also he completely no sells at points, just pops up and goes on offense like the previous beatdown had no effect. He just really bothered me tonight.

Big Show vs Mayweather was better than I had expected, though not Bam Bam vs LT level, it was decent. Are his handlers indie wrestlers? Mayweather emoted/sold really well and the fans seemed interested throughout.

World Title Match was a good match eventhough the result was never in question. I HATE the gogoplata finisher UT does, but that's the MMA mark in him I guess. Seeing Charles Robinson hauling ass to the ring was funny as hell because it was so damn far to run. I did think that the Hawkins/Ryder interference should have happened before Robinson came out though - it didn't make sense to me the way they did it. One of the guys got killed - he ate a stiff elbow from Taker, and then got smushed when his partner was choke slammed on to him.

Flair-HBK

MITB

Undertaker-Edge

Mayweather-Big Show

The rest