TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheech Tremendous

Random Thoughts 3-27-08 to 5-28-08

Guest Bigelow34
What year did all this happen, fancy watching it, sure it'll be on a tracker somewhere.

Summer of 2005.

He also did a killer wwe.com exculsive promo just prior to his final. His gimmick became that he wasn't allowed on SD because of the network, so he would just he allowed on the web.

To be honest, if he stayed on Raw, they may have been ok, but UPN wanted nothing to do with him and once the unfortunate timing of having the cell attack Taker coincide with a terrorist attack the same day they just pulled the plug.

Steve Austin often says the only time he's been knocked out legit in the ring was against the Undertaker. I think the PPV was "A Cold Day in Hell."

Anyone remember how he got knocked out?

Besides the fact that Knox was using that finisher before Kennedy started using a finisher that had been used by many WWE wrestlers before him...Knox's move is not even the same move. Knox is basically doing a "Roll the Dice" move only he is inverted. I'm guessing the reason he did it that way was to distinguish it from other moves and make it more of his own.

Steve Austin often says the only time he's been knocked out legit in the ring was against the Undertaker. I think the PPV was "A Cold Day in Hell."

Summerslam 98 v. Taker- the legdrop on the Spanish announce table

Summerslam 98 v. Taker- the legdrop on the Spanish announce table

IIRC, it was actually on a spot where he kicked Taker in the head to counter a backdrop, and when Taker rose up his head caught him on the chin.

And yeah, the build for SS 98 was the best of all time IMO.

I always thought the best build was for Sting/Hogan @ Starrcade 97. Of Course it came off awful and probably should have been booked differently, but that build was probably the best slow burn build that i can think of. It was almost 2 years wasnt it?

Probably a little over a year. I'd agree that that one's up there, since I was insanely biased against WCW at the time but even I had to get that show.

SummerSlam 98 was just on another level though. That Highway to Hell theme was my damn anthem that year.

Everything. Commercials running featuring AC/DC's "Highway to Hell" over computer animated images of a city in fiery rubble, with the SummerSlam logo being the ultimate goal. There was just a mystique surrounding the Austin/Taker match due to 'Taker having thrown Foley off the top of HIAC a couple of months prior, and now that Austin was THE MAN it was interesting to see he and 'Taker, both top faces in the company, going one-on-one. It sure does help that the match was fucking solid, too.

Everything. Commercials running featuring AC/DC's "Highway to Hell" over computer animated images of a city in fiery rubble, with the SummerSlam logo being the ultimate goal. There was just a mystique surrounding the Austin/Taker match due to 'Taker having thrown Foley off the top of HIAC a couple of months prior, and now that Austin was THE MAN it was interesting to see he and 'Taker, both top faces in the company, going one-on-one. It sure does help that the match was fucking solid, too.

Taker/Austin SummerSlam Promo

2 questions:

1. Why was Big Daddy V replaced with Matt Striker in the 24 man Mania battle royal?

2. I asked this in the old GD thread, but who did Paul London piss off? He went from having his partner walk out on him/jobbing in a tag match, to losing a dark match, and he's not in the battle royal while Kendrick is.

I don't think London pissed off anybody. I think it's a combination of selling his beatdown, and even more so the wwe wanting to save that storyline for post-Mania.

What are the odds on Robbie getting fired? Rory seemed tired of the business anyways and is hurt now, and Robbie certainly doesn't have singles level talent.

I still love the build to Austin/Rock X-7 with the intense interview segment from Smackdown being my favorite part. And the My Way music video which is the only time I will ever enjoy anything Limp Bizkit is involved with.

Guest LME

Except for the fact that they threw Debra McMichael in there with no buildup, for no real reason and then dropped that angle like a hot potato with no explanation, I mostly agree with you. Oh, and also I thought they really failed to get over the "Austin will do anything to get the title back" angle they were going for. Which, if they had, may have made the Austin turn make (some) sense. Of course, they would have totally dropped the ball on that turn regardless, and it was probably a bad idea to begin with, so it's all a moot point.

Anyway, I'm rambling now, but this is just a long-winded way of saying I also really enjoyed the "My Way" video. "My Bad", as they say in the streets.

2 questions:

1. Why was Big Daddy V replaced with Matt Striker in the 24 man Mania battle royal?

2. I asked this in the old GD thread, but who did Paul London piss off? He went from having his partner walk out on him/jobbing in a tag match, to losing a dark match, and he's not in the battle royal while Kendrick is.

They probably kept BDV out since they already have Kane, Snitsky, Palumbo, Festus, Henry and Khali in the match and didn't want to have that many big guys involved.

I would think that if Lashley was around he would probably be in Umaga's spot vs. Batista. I'm sure Vince would love HOSS vs. HOSS match. Infact, I'd actually be intrigued by it too. Would remind me of Lesnar vs. Goldberg.

2 questions:

They probably kept BDV out since they already have Kane, Snitsky, Palumbo, Festus, Henry and Khali in the match and didn't want to have that many big guys involved.

See, I don't know what the reason would be, but I don't know why that would be it. Big Daddy V has more seniority and credibility than most of those guys. He was even in the initial four pushed for the match. Has anyone had any reports of him at the fan fest? I'm just thinking maybe it is something like personal reasons he is away because he disappeared off TV like two weeks ago and pulled from the match last minute.

Because everyone could do with a diversion, here is the top 20 in the 100 greatest wrestling moments as selected by the readers of WrestleZone:

The 100 Greatest Wrestling Moments of All Time

1. Hulk Hogan turns heel and forms the NWO

2. Hulk Hogan bodyslams Andre the Giant at WM III

3. Y2J debuts for the WWF

4. Austin 3:16

5. Mankind vs. The Undertaker, Hell in a Cell

6. The Rock vs. Hulk Hogan at WM XVIII

7. Shawn Michaels vs. Bret Hart, Iron Man Match

8. Mankind defeats The Rock for the WWF title

9. Chris Benoit wins the WWE World Heavyweight Title

10. Stone Cold stuns Vince

11. The Montreal Screwjob

12. Shane McMahon appears on Nitro (WWF buys WCW)

13. Bret Hart vs. Stone Cold, I Quit match

14. Eddie Guerrero wins the WWE championship

15. Scott Hall / Kevin Nash show up in WCW

16. Ricky Steamboat vs. Randy Savage at WM III

17. Sting returns and beats Hulk Hogan at Starrcade '97

18. Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit celebrate at WM XX

19. Goldberg defeats Hulk Hogan for the WCW title

20. The Rock vs. Stone Cold, WrestleMania series

Austin and Angle singing was at 44, while Austin winning the WWF title was at 94.

Y2J at #3? Way too high. The list is too slanted towards current wrestling, of course. It'd be fun to come up with a list proper.

Oh, and #9 and #18 are essentially the same moment.

I might be the minority, but I really like Kennedy's up-tempo theme on Vol. 8. The opening beat is really good. Maybe it helps I'm not a huge fan of the version he actually uses.

I fast forwarded through ECW this morning (its shown on a Thursday Night in the UK)

Is anyone else shocked they allowed Mike Knox to use what is essentially the "Mike Check"?

I know Kennedy has been in the doghouse, but there is NO way anyone else would have been allowed the Rock Bottom, or God forbid the Pedigree during the ascension to the top of those two.

In all fairness, Knox was using it long before Kennedy started using it

Steviekick and I actually had a long discussion about the seemingly rampant use of the Reverse STO and it's variations in pro wrestling. It just feels like I've seen way too many people using it right now as a signature or finish. Up until the last few years, it was very rare to see one wrestler use a move of another as a signature. I mean, there are always overlaps (DDTs, certain suplexes, powerbombs and chokeslams, etc), but when guys are winning matches with similar moves and they are being put over as a match finisher it is just kinda bizarre.

I fast forwarded through ECW this morning (its shown on a Thursday Night in the UK)

Is anyone else shocked they allowed Mike Knox to use what is essentially the "Mike Check"?

I know Kennedy has been in the doghouse, but there is NO way anyone else would have been allowed the Rock Bottom, or God forbid the Pedigree during the ascension to the top of those two.

In all fairness, Knox was using it long before Kennedy started using it

Steviekick and I actually had a long discussion about the seemingly rampant use of the Reverse STO and it's variations in pro wrestling. It just feels like I've seen way too many people using it right now as a signature or finish. Up until the last few years, it was very rare to see one wrestler use a move of another as a signature. I mean, there are always overlaps (DDTs, certain suplexes, powerbombs and chokeslams, etc), but when guys are winning matches with similar moves and they are being put over as a match finisher it is just kinda bizarre.

The Reverse STO is to WWE as Movez~! ending in a backbreaker or michinoku driver are to Indy wrestling

My problem with Hassan's in-ring work was that every move he did worked the back, until he then used the reverse STO as a finish. He used the Camel Clutch, but only ever as an out-of-match beatdown move of 'put the face in the submission and shout angrily'. If he'd built to that submission to follow on from the work he did on people's backs during the match, it'd have made a whole lot more sense.

Former WWF personality, Sean Mooney, did an interview with the Club WWI radio show. Here is a highlight,

I don't know how it happened, but some people think I am ashamed of my wrestling past. That is not true. There's really good people. Even to this day, I still have friends from (wrestling) that I keep in touch with. But it was. It was a great time. You know and people, over the years, because they don't understand how you walk away from something. I didn't leave that world because, you know, I didn't want to work for Vince McMahon. He was great. He gave me my start. He paid me a lot of money and didn't ask me to leave, you know? I just, my contract was coming up, and I just, you know what, I don't want to do this anymore. Maybe I was thinking a little more than I should of in thinking that I could go and do other things because after I left there, it took me a year. Nobody would talk to me because of that. I had to take the WWF off my resume because it was getting me automatically turned down. I thought that was very unfair, but that was in the middle of the steroid scandal. But even Vince McMahon at the time didn't believe I wasn't going to Atlanta (to WCW). No matter what I told him. I looked him in the eye and told him, "I'm done."

I have been casually watching Raw since Jericho came back... usually fast-forwarding through about 30-50% of the show but the amount of FF'ing I have been doing has been getting less.

I'll be ordering WM tonight. First WM I've watched since I saw Rock vs. Hogan live in Toronto 6 (?) years ago. I'm kinda excited about it.

I just quit watching wrestling altogether when Triple H raped the dead body or whatever that was and didn't start watching it again until Jericho came back. Quitting watching was independent of Jericho.