TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Aero

Smackdown vs. Raw 2009: News/screens

In Career, it seems like the difficulty on Normal is about the same as Hard. This isn't the same with RtwM. However, where I was getting 4 and 5 stars on Normal, I get 3 and 4 stars on Hard.

Does this jive with everyone's experience?

Can anyone tell me whether you can upload music to use as entrance themes on the PS3, or is that only on the Xbox?

Is it wrong that's probably decided that I get a PS3 instead of an Xbox? Or rather than, even though the PS3 seems to have better features, I was willing to get an Xbox instead if I couldn't upload music for entrance themes on the PS3?

Don't answer that.

So the verdict is this is worth picking up? Since I never had a PS2, the first time I had a chance to play a decent wrestling game on any of the XBOX consoles was SVR 2007 (XBOX didn't have any good wrestling games, I think LOW 2 was the best I played on there and that's not saying a lot). I never spent less time on a wrestling game than I did with 2008. Other than the Extreme Rules matches, the Career mode was shit and the game was basically the same as 07.

Also, I saw screens of a WCW faction in the game, whats up with that?

I think it's a rental, especially if you didnt like 08. I was going to buy it but my roommate rented it before it came out to buy. I played it twice in a week. Solid game, but basically a more polished version of 08. And with all the great games that have come out lately, this is far down the list for me.

So the verdict is this is worth picking up? Since I never had a PS2, the first time I had a chance to play a decent wrestling game on any of the XBOX consoles was SVR 2007 (XBOX didn't have any good wrestling games, I think LOW 2 was the best I played on there and that's not saying a lot). I never spent less time on a wrestling game than I did with 2008. Other than the Extreme Rules matches, the Career mode was shit and the game was basically the same as 07.

Also, I saw screens of a WCW faction in the game, whats up with that?

I think it's worth picking up. It's the only Smackdown game I've enjoyed immensely since Here Comes the Pain.

As for the WCW stuff.. you can unlock the WCW "brand" to categorize your wrestlers. It's just a cosmetic thing, there's also a "Free Agent" and "WWE Legend" brand.

For the entrance themes.. I love that they included the custom stuff on PS3 this year. So cool! I've changed Regal's theme to his heel theme from a couple years back, Kane's to his Slow Chemical version, Taker to his Ministry of Darkness version, Victoria to that remix of that Tatu song she used to use.. and of course, Tommy Dreamer to Man in the Box. Oh, and my CAW uses "The Champ is Here" by DJ Green Lantern & Jadakiss. I just find it adds a lot of longevity to the game, IMO. Now, next year, let's have it so that we can upload video files to be used as entrance videos! How kick ass would that be?!

FYI, if you play with your CAW online, and he uses Custom Music, your opponents will hear the sweet sounds of silence.

I tried playing an online battle with CMWaters, then realized I had no idea what to do once I invited him to play. I was probably scared to get my non-reversing ass whipped and didn't try hard to figure it out.

Lots of fun little things I began doing when I learned how. Superbombing people though flaming tables, Pillmanizing them with chairs... all fun stuff.

At the risk of sounding like a caveman, does anyone have the PS2 version? If so, is that worth a buy? I have HCTP and FPR and may be ready to pick this up.

Also, how do some of the special matches play like Royal Rumble, HITC, Elimination Chamber, battle royals, ect?

Also, what's the deal with Hornswoggle's managing skills? Is he invisible? Do you need to do some special move that summons him?

I think it's RB + Taunt. He comes from under the ring and slides the shillelagh into the ring.

At the risk of sounding like a caveman, does anyone have the PS2 version? If so, is that worth a buy? I have HCTP and FPR2 and may be ready to pick this up.

Also, how do some of the special matches play like Royal Rumble, HITC, Elimination Chamber, battle royals, ect?

I have it for PS2. I love it. The only real special match I've played on 09 has been the Inferno match just to try it out. Otherwise Ive just been playing through Career/RtWM at the moment. The lack of Downloadable content is gonna suck, but its still worth it.

Edit: Actually, HiTC is really fun this time around. Being able to toss people off the cell through the announce table is awesome.

OK...question.

I'm playing career mode right now with my CAW.

I got the "submissionist" or whatever skill.

Does anyone know the requirements for the other skills...so I can decide the other 5 that I want?

Abilities

For this section, The Ability name will be in bold, and how to obtain it will be in italics. And you have to win the match to earn all of these.

Bloodshed

Make your opponent bleed 10 times, and bleed yourself 10 times

Cage Match

Win a Cage Match by escaping in under a minute (Cage Match is unloced by Intercontinental Title path)

Dirty Pin

Get a 5-star match rating against 3 Superstars who have this ability

Durability

Beat a Superstar rated 20 points higher in overall while you both have orange limb damage

Evasive Dodge

Win Special Matches against 2 of the 3 follwing Superstars; Rey Mysterio, Jeff Hardy, and/or Jimmy Wang Yang

Fan Favorite

Successfully taunt you opponent 10 times in one match match (cannot have the Steal Taunt ability active)

Hammer Throw

You must have earned at least one ability in your first 10 Career Matches, then get the Sit in the Corner Award

Kip-Up

Win 6 championships

KO

Earn 5-star ratings against ever competitor in a single championship path (excluding the champion)

Ladder Match

Get a 5-star match rating in a Ladder Match against one of the Hardys (Ladder Match is unlocked by the Cruiserweight Title path)

Lock Pick

Go against Chris Jericho in a Singles Match, and escape the Walls of Jericho

**** Theft

Defeat 20 different superstars

Object

Execute 50 weapon attacks in your Career

Outside Dives

Complete 25 dives (from in the ring to out, not off the top rope) in your Career

Possum Pin

Beat 3 Superstars who have his ability

Referee Shield

Get 5 DQ losses, then win a championship match against a good guy (Ex. Triple H)

Resiliency

Kick out of a pin attempt at a 2-count while having 2 parts with red damage

Tis easit way to earn this ability is a single w/ manager match and while being pinned, have your manager distract the referee(RB + up n d-pad)

Springboard

Win the Cruiserweight Championship

Steal Taunt

Foil your opponent's attempt to steal our taunt(cannot hae Fan Favorte abiltity active)

Submission

Attempt 7 Strugg;e Submissions and win the match

Tables Match

Break 40 Tables in your Career (including Announce Tables) [ECW Extreme Rules Match is unlocked by ECW Championship path]

And keep in mind, you can't change abilities you've earned. The only way is to start career mode over with you CAW and achieve new ones. (Is what I've heard)

I picked this up tonight having not played a Smackdown game since SD vs. RAW 2006. This new control scheme is going to take some getting used to. I like it since it gives you more control and gives you more to do in the ring (nothing beats chopping the shit out of someone in the corner), but I still keep wanting to hit a face button to try and do grapples.

If anyone who has it on 360 is up for a game, send me a message thru Live.. I've been trying to play some of you guys but it always says y'all are busy doing RtWM or season...

God bless the new economics of video games. I now have HMV and Koodo banners all over the game. Makes it real!

I had an arena full of futureshop banners not too long ago. Looked a little odd seeing every other board being bright red

Hmm...seeing how to earn abilities...looks like it means you can't give created Divas things like lock-pick, evasive dodge, springboard or ladder match without cheating.

Why not? You can't compete in the right matches?

Hmm...seeing how to earn abilities...looks like it means you can't give created Divas things like lock-pick, evasive dodge, springboard or ladder match without cheating.

Scroll up and read the abilities.

You can't have a Diva win the Cruiserweight Championship, so there goes springboard.

You can't face Rey, Jeff, or Yang...so no Evasive Dodge.

Can't face Jericho, so Lock Pick is out.

Scroll up and read the abilities.

You can't have a Diva win the Cruiserweight Championship, so there goes springboard.

You can't face Rey, Jeff, or Yang...so no Evasive Dodge.

Can't face Jericho, so Lock Pick is out.

Are you positive a diva can't win the Cruiserweight championship?

I did career as Victoria to get the achievement, and after I won the Women's title, IC and US opened up. And I didn't try, but I'm guessing you can do them. And if you could, I don't see why cruiserweight wouldn't be available.

Why can't you face the guys? Is that because you only get to wrestle other Divas?