Blue Jays (A.J. Burnett) at Yankees (Mike Mussina), 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN2

SATURDAY

Mets at Braves, 3:55/12:55 PM, FOX

White Sox at Tigers, 3:55/12:55 PM, FOX

Dodgers at Padres, 3:55/12:55 PM, FOX

SUNDAY

Red Sox at Blue Jays, 1:00 PM/10:00 AM, TBS

White Sox at Tigers, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN2

I'm lucky enough to see the Mets' first game of the year and Santana's first start with the team in person tomorrow. Dad lives in Fort Lauderdale so he's putting me up for a couple of days so we can attend both the first and second games.

Never been to an Opening Day of any sort before. I'm unbelievably excited.

I don't think the Jays were on American TV once last season, and I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't on again after the 3 times in the first week. The TBS game is going to be filled with Sox fans, though, since it was part of the Jays' genius decision to sell tickets to Boston fans before anyone else had a shot at them.

Everyone should go to Opening Day at least once. There's always such a feeling of optimism in the air. Even if you're a Pittsburgh fan.

I think I went to Angels' Opening Day a few years back. I didn't appreciate it back then. I can't wait to see how Minnesota reacts to Torii Hunter.

Guest Anglesault

Went to opening day in 98. I'm going to the third game of the year this year.

Guest Bullshiterica

It's retarded to have Opening Day at Wrigley Field, especially considering the weather here is absolutely horrible and there's still some offseason sprucing-up that might not be 100% complete by tomorrow. Give us 12 to 14 games on the road to start the season to significantly diminish the possibility of snowouts or really unpleasant weather, and load up the schedule with wonderful June afternoons. It's like we learned nothing from last year about keeping early April baseball to the south.

The Cubs have the pitching and personnel to repeat as division champs, but the first month may decide their fate. They have an overload of home games in April, and only nine in September.

Hey, where's an awesome place to have lots of April home games? Oh, I know, a midwestern city with an open-air park about half a mile from Lake Michigan, known for its wind patterns. Smart. These schedulers have to be the dumbest people in America. I might even venture to say that a fifth straight year of 3 million attendance is seriously jeopardized by this, since even the diehardiest of the diehards can't be too jazzed about an endless slate of ugly brown and grey April day games with the Cincinnati Reds. If I didn't know better, I'd think they were trying to cut into the team's profits.

Check out this picture of Lastings Milledge and Da Meat Hook. It's still cracking me up.

young2.jpg

Yes. That's a Halliburton briefcase for Dmitri. Contents unknown.

C-Bacon, afternoon Opening Day games are a tradition.

I don't have a problem with openers in midwestern locations. Last year was an unusual situation, usually the weather is not that bad. The only thing is that teams in that situation should use some common sense and schedule as many games as possible in the afternoon. It's those 40-45 degree night games that kill you.

Having Atlanta/Washington tonight is a bit ridiculous. Both teams have DAY games in different cities tomorrow! If they were playing same city tomorrow, it would make more sense.

I've got the Philadelphia/Lehigh Valley game taped on tv right now. Really nice park, they have kind of the Jacobs Field setup with dugout suites behind home plate.

Watched some of the Booyah special on the new Nationals park, where a Nationals spokesman talked about how this was the start of a new era, something big... of course, the Pirates probably thought the same thing when they opened PNC

also, great heel heat for Bush

Watched some of the Booyah special on the new Nationals park, where a Nationals spokesman talked about how this was the start of a new era, something big... of course, the Pirates probably thought the same thing when they opened PNC

The Nationals at least have a fresh unjaded fanbase, and real young talent.

Guest Smues
Having Atlanta/Washington tonight is a bit ridiculous. Both teams have DAY games in different cities tomorrow! If they were playing same city tomorrow, it would make more sense.

It's completely unfair to both teams and I don't understand why they did it. I get wanting to open in DC, but what's so hard about making it the start of a 3 game series? And I think both teams were in a different city yesterday, making it all the more reasonable. I blame ESPN! And because of this horseshit Atlanta opens and closes it's season on the road. LAME.

Anyway, I decided Braves season opener over Wrestlemania, so huzzah making it home in time for first pitch. If they weren't dragging this out so damned long I would have made it just in time, as it is I made it in time for the National Antheme to be sung about 3 octives too high. I think I need to replace my windows.

It's too bad we traded Renteria, because a 2-3-4-5-6 of Renteria Jones Tixeira Francoeur and McCann could have been awesome, but I'll settle for Jone Texeieria Francoeur McCann 3-4-5-6 I guess. Go Braves.

A) They're going to Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. Not exactly a long haul.

B) The Nationals are playing at 4:00, while Atlanta has a night game.

I agree, though, that it makes no sense why the Braves and Nats couldn't just open with a three game series.

Guest Smues

Like him or hate him, he's always a great choice for the first pitch.

B) The Nationals are playing at 4:00, while Atlanta has a night game.

I agree, though, that it makes no sense why the Braves and Nats couldn't just open with a three game series.

It's not a long trip, but consider that the Phillies get to hit the Nats' #2-3 starters with Brett Myers and Cole Hamels. I shouldn't complain too much.

Guest Smues

Actually Atlanta plays at home tomorrow, thus this one game screwed them out of opening at home.

That's his last one, too

Which candidate has the best curveball?

Guest Smues

Hey Al did you pick this over WM too, or are you not watching this/watching both?

Guest Smues

That's his last one, too

Which candidate has the best curveball?

I really hope I don't have to watch Hilary throw out first pitches. Obama I could live with. Hell he'd probably be a better choice over McCain, as you don't want your president dying on the mound.

Actually Atlanta plays at home tomorrow, thus this one game screwed them out of opening at home.

Oh, my bad. That's really stupid, then.

Guest Bullshiterica
C-Bacon, afternoon Opening Day games are a tradition.

I don't have a problem with openers in midwestern locations. Last year was an unusual situation, usually the weather is not that bad.

With climate change causing more frozen precipitation over the Great Lakes, April blizzards are the new normal. Just to be on the safe side, I'd rather get 12 to 14 games logged before the Cubs come home, and go light on the home games until the third week of May. Since everyone is already in the south at the end of March, just have everyone migrate north gradually.

Hey Braves, navy numbers on navy shirts = epic fail. Atlanta Braves: 10 point infraction!