TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NYU

The Current Events Folder

Like I said in my post, I don't really care one way or the other. I was making an observation in that she posted in that thread, and it went all wonky. People can talk about Jesus in a campaign thread, doesn't bother me any. I was just curious as to the reasoning behind it when I read all that.

The way I look at it, is that caused an uproar, but at the same time it gives ME amusement so really...win for me. It is a benefit of not posting that often.

Guys, just so we're perfectly clear, it is appropriate to have alternate viewpoints in the Current Events folder. Just as in the real world, some have liberal opinions and some have conservative opinions. While I understand that many of you now aren't used to having Republican posters visit the forums anymore, the mere fact that they are conservative is not a bannable offense.

So no, I do not want any more PMs from posters that ask me to take action simply because Cancer Marney is posting in the CE Folder again.

As long as flaming is avoided, and people can get along civilly without getting personal and offensive with one another, everything should be just fine. Healthy debate is encouraged. I would hope that if we're grown-up enough to have an opinion on the War in Iraq, then we're grown-up enough to deal with criticism from others who might have a contrasting viewpoint.

So yeah, Marney is welcomed back, as is Vyce, Dr. Tom, and anybody else who have stayed away from TSM that wishes to post in the Current Events folder. When someone truly steps over the line with an offensive insult or a racial slur, you can be rest assured either myself or another hot rat will step in and take the appropriate action. But until then, it's best to learn that conversations are obviously going to get heated at times but hey, that's politics.

I dont believe one word of this. I got called out as being the worst poster on the board and sent away for a weekend, 75% of the reason being my what I posted in CE (I shall accept that I probably was offending people in Sports as well), and I followed exactly what you're saying is allowed and encouraged. The CE folder as it is now, specifically the Election thread, is an absolute joke. Theres no way you're going to have intelligent discussion with people who act like 12 year olds. Not to mention the whole "ghey sex" as a filter for someone who's opinion they can't stand (which totally bashes me for having a contrasting viewpoint which you're saying here should be encouraged, but hey, its ok cause GB sucks).

Im not going to sit here and waste my time trying to post stuff in CE anymore, its not even worth it. I dont understand why you couldn't tolerate me trying to post about politics and yet you can tolerate Marney (ugh) and Snuffbox (what exactly does Jesus being a bastard have to do at all with the election, seriously?) and Im the one that gets called a troll?

But hey, you all get what you want (me no longer posting my GB influenced opinions in CE). Its a glorious new TSM World!

Guest (Loggins Name)

You got suspended for a weekend because you won the worst poster tournament and Mole isn't around to vouch for you anymore. I agree that the Current Events folder sucks. Any of the conservatives from the Pit who left on their own accord are welcome back if it means we can offer more varied opinions. I got all the fun I'm gonna get out of the gay sex filter so I'm gonna get rid of it. Is there anything else I can do for you today? :)

I think the primary reason that a lot of people got sick of you posting in Current Events was because you weren't any fucking good at it. You'd post articles to back up a point you were trying to make, but the content of the articles themselves would actually completely contradict your arguments. We can argue that lots of other people suck there, but you'd reguarly get your ass kicked not because people were making it personal with you, but because you were the fish in the proverbial barrel on a lot of topics.

It's that whole Voltaire defend-your-right-to-say-it thing. I think we should adopt a Cabaret Voltaire axiom from here on out, like "why kill time when you can kill yourself" or something. I hope gary floyd makes it to this thread now.

Wish granted, it's Just Fascination.

Anyways, I really don't like Marney. I'll put up with her though, since that's the way the world works. Besides, she doesn't make me scream at my computer monitor like Marvin did, and it doesn't take a genius to know she'll "cross the line" eventually.

Also, I agree with NYU that MikeSC should stay banned. Let's not forget his (failed) attempt at derailing a thread about "Good Night, Good Luck", his trolling in the TNA folder, and his comments about rape. Hell, the guy got kicked off of Amazon for being beligerent. He can't go anywhere without pissing people off. Also, I just went there-he calls us "the tard board."

I agree the CE folder can suck. Hell, I sometimes wonder why I go there. I'm a liberal guy (who's considering becoming a libertarian), and I get annoyed with NoCalMike posting lengthy articles and saying recycled talking points, as well as a few other things. As it stands though, I can't do shit about it, so I'll just let it all pass.

Not to mention the whole "ghey sex" as a filter for someone who's opinion they can't stand (which totally bashes me for having a contrasting viewpoint which you're saying here should be encouraged, but hey, its ok cause GB sucks).

Fixed.

Glenn Beck. See.

Marvin, let's talk. Send me a PM or something.

If you get offended so easily, the internet probably isn't for you.

Seriously. If I can make amends with Marney after our issues years ago (and we've been cool for a few years afterward), I think anyone else here should be able to deal with it.

If you feel the need to cry when people get harsh on a message board, don't talk politics. The fucking end.

Both, although what was complained about is kinda open to interpretation. But yes, I think that the complaints have a lot to do with her opinion. If she was in agreement with the majority and saying those things, who would've complained? Nobody at all. To note, it's a whole lot easier to punish complainers. Everyone who reads this might think about that in the future.

People complained because she called Obama "B.O. HUSSEIN." That's all it took!

The queers thing is a non-issue, as it was said in response to a joke about painting the White House. Who really cares about that stuff? I'm more worried about posts like this

Hey!

I'm not interested in you, child. Keep your mouth shut while your betters speak.

You said this.

You called someone a "child" and referred to youself as their "better" on an internet forum. You're a fucking caricature! I can hardly conceive of you existing outside of the internet. You communicate in a slobbering blend of bad vampire novel character and Rush Limbaugh. You seemingly exist in a September 12th, 2001 version of the movie Groundhog's Day. Watching your failed intelectual flailings is like watching a chihuahua bark at a passing dog. Your entire existence on this forum is traced from talking point to quackery to talking point like a retarded constellation. You make a mockery of real issues by constantly bringing up things like lapel pins and middle names. You're polarizing in the worst way, and, just so you don't forget -

I'm not interested in you, child. Keep your mouth shut while your betters speak.

- you posted this and then thought to yourself "take that."

I hate you.

That is more of a problem than anything else. I don't care if you guys insult each other as long as you stay on topic, speaking for myself, of course. What I do care about is long tangents which have nothing to do with Campaign 2008, or politics in general. I don't want threads to go as far off topic as that post could take it. Balanced discussion is key. No more circle-jerks. I don't want to punish anyone for something they say in CE, so hopefully it never gets to that point and everyone (including myself) stays within the bounds of reasonable discussion.

If anyone wants to flame, just create a thread in the chocolate socket, and you can have it out. Basically, the only thing not allowed in there is racism, so, everything else is pretty much fair ground. If you don't like someone, use the fucking ignore button.

Got it everyone? Good.

Ambassador Marney is not an unknown e-quantity. She was asked to come back. Why is there this shock at nobody wanting to engage in serious discussion with somebody who refers to a presidential candidate in every single post as 'B.O. Hussein', drives a point of him being a 'bastard' as far as it could go, and cites bad Wikipedia links for her points? Nobody took it seriously or enjoyed it when Marvin did it or all the posters that were banned "for sucking" did it. It's cool if the new moderators (and, yes, we are well aware by now of the new e-powers you possess) quietly agree with the ideas and research of Marney but don't act surprised when it's laughed at for what it is.

I'm more worried about posts like this

Hey!

You said this.

You called someone a "child" and referred to youself as their "better" on an internet forum. You're a fucking caricature! I can hardly conceive of you existing outside of the internet. You communicate in a slobbering blend of bad vampire novel character and Rush Limbaugh. You seemingly exist in a September 12th, 2001 version of the movie Groundhog's Day. Watching your failed intelectual flailings is like watching a chihuahua bark at a passing dog. Your entire existence on this forum is traced from talking point to quackery to talking point like a retarded constellation. You make a mockery of real issues by constantly bringing up things like lapel pins and middle names. You're polarizing in the worst way, and, just so you don't forget -

- you posted this and then thought to yourself "take that."

I hate you.

That's a pretty great post, though. I agree that ad hominems and shit aren't really conducive to good discussion, but can't an exception be made for really well-executed insults?

If you want to laugh, you laugh. Also, it doesn't matter whether or not I agree with her methods. If you think I do, then that's what you think. If you think I don't, then that's also what you think. I'm not telling.

That's a pretty great post, though. I agree that ad hominems and shit aren't really conducive to good discussion, but can't an exception be made for really well-executed insults?

No. Create a thread in Chocolate Socket, put it there.

Fact of the matter is, it takes two to tangle. Let's put it this way, if ANYONE ever gets punished for insulting in CE, a second punishment is going to follow? Why? Because, especially yesterday, there was more than one person doing the arguing. I don't give a damn who started it.

Why is there this shock at nobody wanting to engage in serious discussion with somebody who refers to a presidential candidate in every single post as 'B.O. Hussein', drives a point of him being a 'bastard' as far as it could go, and cites bad Wikipedia links for her points?

As far as the B.O. Hussein stuff goes, I don't care about it. Nobody does. Nothing is going to change my mind on that. For the wiki link, it is absolutely fine. The same stuff has been reported by reputable news sources. See, look!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1770

http://genealogy.about.com/od/aframertrees...arack_obama.htm

If it's sourced on wikipedia and the article checks out, I don't fuckin' care if you use it. Ok, maybe that second one doesn't check out. I dunno. But still, you get my point.

See, this is what I'm talking about with the circle-jerk comment. We are not silencing opinions (unless you get racial, basically). Period. It's not a Marney thing. It's a "we want discussion thing." You're allowed to get tough back. Nobody's holding your fucking hand around here. If you don't take her seriously, use your ignore button. Or when you see someone's name next to the "Last Post By" thing, stay out of the thread.

Most importantly, I don't want to punish anyone. Please, everyone, don't make me do it.

The shit folder where everyone agrees with each other all the time is exactly that, shit. I hate it. If you've got something to complain about and want to talk about it, I've got AIM. I listen.

Guest (Loggins Name)

I'm not moderating that folder. I tried to earlier today and I felt really lame about it. I'm going to go look up the Latin for "let the writer beware" and put that in the subheader. (EDIT: scriptor was what I was looking for. Duh.)

Oh, I forgot one thing.

drives a point of him being a 'bastard' as far as it could go

You guys make fun of George Bush in a similar fashion ALL THE TIME. Pot.Kettle.Black.

Give me a break.

Guest (Loggins Name)

I don't care what anybody thinks anymore. Bellicose bluster, tin-foil hat ranting, we've got it all, and I don't give a fuck.

All I'm saying is if people are allowed to stay stuff like that, they shouldn't be complaining if someones calls them a shit face.

You are allowed to criticize that opinion if you please. And people are allowed to attack Christianity if they want, and be criticized just the same.

ALSO, Jerk asked her what we should do with Muslims. He solicited the response. You solicit the response, you get what you ask for. She might say that at the Pit, but I don't care about what people say at the Pit. They can say what they please over there.

Marney hasn't complained at all, so....yeah. She doesn't complain when being attacked, she does something about it. You guys should probably do that too.

What are you talking about? She was all pissy cause Jerk called her names. I don't give a crap. All I'm saying is that people should be ALLOWED to call people names (when people say stuff like that), something that seems to be being cracked down on.

YOU ARE ALLOWED TO CALL NAMES.

I just don't want to see paragraphs upon paragraphs with nothing but namecalling.

Then why the hell was IK Cool Jew reprimanded for basically calling Marney names? I know it was a paragraph, but half of the stuff was just explaining why he was calling her out. Whatever.

paragraphs upon paragraphs

1-2 lines, good. 7 lines, bad. Very bad.

From now on, I'll just move them to CS. With that, I think I've addressed everything.

Also, I apologize for being mean in this topic. I hate being mean.

:(

I would've said most everything in this thread a long time ago, but for two reasons. One, the topic hasn't come up in a really long time. Second, it would've fallen on deaf ears, so why try? My "powers" don't have anything to do with my opinions.

I just don't want problems, and by saying the things I said, hopefully there aren't any. I don't want CE to turn into the Pit's version either, in case anyone's worried about that.

I'd kind of like to see the shots at the Pit cut out, as well. I'm not saying we have to sign a peace treaty or anything, but I'd rather not see those kind of discussions break out all over the place, because board wars are lame.