TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Thanks for the Fish

WWE Draft 2008

Well with ECW and Raw soon to be taping on the same night people are assuming they will do the cross promoting deal. What sense would it make for SD guys to show up on ECW in that scenario?

Has anyone actually confirmed that ECW is doing the Raw talent exchange deal, or are we all just assuming so?

People are just assuming.

Here's my thoughts on the Draft.

RAW:

-- Rey Mysterio -- I like this move, Mysterio can easily add to either Mid-card title or Top Title scene.

-- CM Punk -- I really don't know about this move. Punk is also someone who could add to Raw's mid-card scene and Raw's Top title scene...but I can easily see him getting lost in the Top Title scene, but with the Money in the bank title shot, Punk could easily be moved somewhere else.

-- Michael Cole -- I look forward to Lawler and Cole calling Raw.

-- Batista -- Batista may replace HHH when it comes Raw's title scene.

-- Kane -- Eh I don't know, Kane's someone who always seems to get lost on Raw in random feuds, I have a feeling Kane will just get lost once again. I think Kane being on ECW as their champion has been really better for him.

-- Jamie Noble -- He's gonna get lost on Raw. He might be thrown into the IC title scene, but probably not, he's gonna be lost.

-- Deuce -- Gonna get lost in the Raw shuffle.

-- Chuck Palumbo -- Same as Noble.

-- Matt Striker -- Lost in Raw shuffle.

-- Layla -- ummm if anything should have been thrown on Smackdown.

-- Kofi Kingston -- I really don't know what Kofi is going to be doing on Raw. I think for awhile he'll be thrown into random feuds and then maybe get a IC title run.....but it's a tough call.

Overall: With HHH gone and other RAW heavyhitters, it seems RAW might be trying to rebuild the IC title and World Title scenes....but we'll have to wait and see if that actually happens or not.

SMACKDOWN:

-- Jeff Hardy -- Good move, I think Hardy would shine even more on Smackdown.

-- Jim Ross -- I'm looking forward to hearing Jim Ross and Mick Foley call matches together.

-- Umaga -- A good move as well. Umaga pretty much did everything he could on Raw, he'll really add to Smackdown.

-- Mr. Kennedy -- Same as Jeff Hardy, though I don't think he was given enough chance to shine on RAW, but Kennedy vs Edge restart will be nice.

-- Triple H -- Remember what I said about Hardy, Kennedy, and Umaga....yeah forget all that.

-- Trevor Murdoch -- Eh, I don't think Murdoch will add to anything on Smackdown. Espically since Smackdown currently doesn't have a mid-card title.

-- Big Daddy V -- Same for Murdoch, if anything might become the new version of Mark Henry.

-- DH Smith -- Should have been put on ECW or left on RAW.

-- Brian Kendrick -- If pushed, yay, but I have a feeling will be lost in shuffle, should have been put on ECW.

-- Maria -- I don't know really what to say.

-- Shelton Benjamin -- Should have been left on ECW. Most likely will be used randomly like he was on RAW.

-- Carlito -- He fucked himself.

Overall: While Smackdown has gotten a lot of positive drafts I feel it's gotten fucked over the worse. Smackdown lost it's Mid-card title and the World title scene which had better chances for others to win the title, just lost that with HHH moved over to Smackdown.

ECW:

-- Matt Hardy -- Like the move, gives ECW a mid-card title. Which is something I felt ECW has needed for quite awhile. However it takes a mid-card title away from Smackdown, which is something Smackdown really needs as it's roster is a whole lot bigger.

-- Mark Henry -- I kinda like the move. Henry has improved a lot since his return, but I don't know if being the biggest man on the roster is going to be a good move for Henry.

-- Hornswaggle -- *shrugs* he's with Finlay, he'll be good.

-- Super Crazy -- I'm very happy about Super Crazy to ECW, he'll be used a lot more. Which is awesome.

-- Finlay -- He'll probably be the one to feud with Henry for the ECW title if Henry wins it.

Overall: ECW really got 50/50 outta this. While ECW lost a lot of positive names (Punk, Kofi, Shelton, and Kane.) and it's Heavyweight title (for now.), it did gain a mid-card title and really didn't get any names that wouldn't help improve the show. Plus with the move, I like to think the ECW title is looked at a bit higher in value now since there are 3 different wrestlers from 3 different brands going after the ECW title.

so Raw got the better end of the deal, while ECW got a 50/50, and Smackdown pretty much the worse end of the deal since the Smackdown title scene basically just got locked in with certain wrestlers going after it and also losing it's mid-card title.

Why did they break up Londrick? Unless they're gonna push both superstars (which they aren't) then it was pointless. I wanted them to have a Rockers-esque break-up (which I thought they were going for the night Kendrick walked out on London to be destroyed by Umaga) with London getting the HBK mid-card heel push but alas it never happened. Oh well, both are barley gonna be used.

I think it's too soon to move Kofi up to Raw. He should have stayed on ECW for another year, maybe fued for the title then move up to Raw.

I think it's too soon to move Kofi up to Raw. He should have stayed on ECW for another year, maybe fued for the title then move up to Raw.

I feel the same. I worry that he is going to be mistreated.

I would rather see Kofi Kingston as a low-to-mid-card RAW competitor than watch him suffer through matches with Mark Henry and Big Show in the Goliath hell that is the ECW main event scene. Let's see him climb the ranks and be the next challenger for the IC Title after Jericho and Michaels finish their feud in a couple of months.

I hope Carlito challenges for a title on his return to Smackdown. That's always been one of his little signatures everytime he debuts/returns to a brand.

I have a feeling we'll see Carlito as a jobber for some time. Assuming the US Title comes back to SD after NoC, I can't see WWE having someone as disliked as Carlito challenging someone as equally disliked as Chavo. Unless they throw a third into the mix (Jeff Hardy?) so the fans have someone to cheer for.

This isn't saying Carlito is unable to pull off a face turn. I just don't want to see it.

I have a feeling we'll see Carlito as a jobber for some time. Assuming the US Title comes back to SD after NoC, I can't see WWE having someone as disliked as Carlito challenging someone as equally disliked as Chavo. Unless they throw a third into the mix (Jeff Hardy?) so the fans have someone to cheer for.

This isn't saying Carlito is unable to pull off a face turn. I just don't want to see it.

There's always having Carlito be fodder for Triple H. I didn't say he'd actually win a title, he should at least make reference to it.

I wish Howard Finkel was eligible to be drafted. WWE's not the same without him on the microphone. I'd mark if he came out and did only Kennedy's introductions and lead-outs.

There's always having Carlito be fodder for Triple H. I didn't say he'd actually win a title, he should at least make reference to it.

True. I guess he could challenge for the top title (whatever ends up on SD; let's not get started there) and main event on his triumphant return to SD, only to lose and be quickly shifted down to the midcard.

My thoughts on each individual pick:

RAW

1. Rey Mysterio serves as the link to the hispanic audience and (more) kids to RAW. Remember that Smackdown is usually in the top 10 hispanic (Neilson) ratings every week. The only problem I see is that the PECKING order really doesn't bode well for Rey on RAW plus his lack of size will get him nowhere. I rate this move: Smart, but will hurt Rey more than helps.

2. CM Punk - you saw it coming, but I actually pegged him as moving up to Smackdown 1st before going to RAW. Like Lashley before, there will be chances for Punk to shine/fail as his unique ring style will clash with most on RAW and his mic type will become non existent if he can't cut a good promo FAST! He has the MITB briefcase and dependant on his success/failure on RAW, the MITB will be used in that direction. I just don't see the RAW writers backing CM Punk. I rate this move: Death sentence for Punk.

3. The swap of Michael Cole and Jim Ross is better than 1st thought! Heck, it could've been Adamle for Ross (now that is SCARY, since Vince has REFUSES to admit Adamle is a failure). Vince has time and time again tried to get JR off RAW because of his age and "look" (Ross suffers from Bell's Palsey) without regard to his performance which is generally universally regarded as the best play by play announcer out there! To me this is another shot for Cole (possibly a "reunion" with JBL at some point as a tandem on RAW) and he looks more prepared than his previous attempt. For Ross, he saw it coming and DESPISED the announcement when it was revealed "anyone was available for the draft". Dispite that, I think this will be a "Dream Team" announcing team of JR and Foley...no more stupid "puppies" and sexist jokes by Lawler. This new team WILL be CALLING MATCHES vs McMahon's style of "freestyle chatter" (ie Adamle and Coachman). I rate this move: Good for Ross (at least there's less pressure on him on SD) and time for Cole to step it up another level! No more editing for him, so this could be a telltale as to his improvement or lack thereof. Will JR be back in the RAW seat AGAIN?! We shall see!

4. Batista really should be keep on SD (In SJ's SD taping on 6/8 he was the most over person besides Vicky who got nuclear heat) as he was the TOP star. RAW doesn't need MORE STARS, they need BETTER ANGLES and Stories. Batista will do fine on RAW and be protected. I rate this move: Good on paper (RAW), but bad for WWE as it really brands SD as MORE "B" show than ever before and will kill live show attendence in the future. The scarifice is NOT worth it in the long run.

5. Kane...don't understand this move at all. Seemingly like Chris Benoit who went from RAW to SD to ECW, I felt that Kane on ECW was to keep him "a top fish" in a smaller bowl. It gave ECW a seasoned "name" champion, but now on RAW...seems out of the blue. I rate this move: Overall Bad as it will futher KILL ECW (not that it had much of a pulse before) and make more people tune out on it. What good is Kane on RAW? He can't beat HBK, Cena, Orton, etc.

Smackdown

1. Jeff Hardy - Wow is all I can say. He's in somebody's doghouse for sure (whether it be Vince, Stephaine or HHH)! Man, on top of the WORLD in December, missing his title shot in Jan and then the suspension. Maybe, Jeff KNEW he was never gonna see the WWE title so why push himself?!? Maybe?!? Regardless, the glass ceiling is in tact so nobody's losing their "spot". In theory, yeah right like this would EVER happen, if HHH was prepping Jeff up on the SD side to become WWE Champ then I say "awesome, long range goal accomplished", but we know it's now to be, it will NEVER be. So I rate this move: Unfortunate for Jeff, but great for SD as he's overall one of the most over faces the WWE has! For a second "the Hardy Boyz reunited"...yeah right!

2. Umaga - long awaited and expected...heck he's been beaten to death by HBK, Cena, HHH, etc...what else was left for him as a heel on RAW? Without turning him face (can not have ethnic faces...they can't draw mentality), a switch is the only way to freshen him up, but fans aren't stupid and see that he's a second tier guy on RAW moved over to be top tier on SD. I rate this move: Good for Umaga and good for SD.

3. Mr Kennedy - just like Jeff Hardy or any hot non RAW guy, they moved him over to RAW last year prematurely. Missed opprotunity (Was supposed to be Vince's son), suspension and injuries did hold him back and what "fire" he had in SD was quickly burnt out on RAW. A switch back to SD will humble him and he can rebuild himself up once again. I rate this move: A jolt of reality and for Kennedy to get back on the fast track!

4. Triple H. This is definitely a WAIT and SEE decision. Will this be the farce they pulled several years ago when he was drafted to SD, only to have him TRADED back for a bag of magic beans (think Paul Gasol for Kwame Brown). If he is indeed switched then I applause this move, it's time to reign a different cast and to step aside for the younger players (Cena, Orton, etc). This would be a chance for him to stregthen SD and work with Hardy, Kennedy, Big Show, Edge (boy he probably cussed when HHH was announced), etc. SD also has a lighter schedule than RAW and this would give him time with Stephaine and his offsprings. HOWEVER, only time will tell what HHH intentions are and whether the "his draft" is real. Heck we might see Vicky trade HHH for Rey Mysterio cause "he's my nemesis" - yeah try to make sense of that! I rate this move: IN DUE TIME

ECW

1. Matt Hardy - just like Jeff, no matter how popular you are, you 're gonna get screwed and he has! ECW challengers include Nunzio, Delaney, Striker, Richards, etc - wow - what a list! The glass ceiling just got higher again for Matt. OVerall ECW got kicked to the curb badly and the matches they had made them look even worse. I rate this move: Bad for Hardy as it doesn't make his future brighter

As for McMahon's Millions?!? He's trying to kill (or somebody is) himself so that he doesn't have to do it anymore (what's funny is the suspense factor wasn't there which killed the segments. Honestly, it should have been a giveaway with a game show atmosphere like "deal, no deal"). This also gives him another attempt at the "Who wants to kill McMahon".

Lastly, I hope Melina is alright! W

Whew, that's how I feel - what about you guys.

As pointed out, the draft could have played a part in Benoit losing it last year...will something similar repeat itself?!

---

Supplemental Draft:

Raw:

1. Jaime Noble - no impact in ring, but adds depth as backstage prepper

2. Duece - Dad got him here, so will see what they do with him...I say NOT much.

3. Chuck Pulumbo -If he still rides his bike to the ring = push. If he doesn't, then another Polumbo gimmick failure.

4. Matt Striker - Schools now in session, which heel needs a mouthpiece?!?

5. Layla El - SHOCKER to me, as Vince hates her look...I say they bury her, but she's a fighter/good learner and the audience DOES like her! We'll see, but my moneys on writers "couldn't figure out what to do with her".

6. Kofi Kingston - this break out RISING star will get the Shelton Benjamin treatment on RAW...what does that mean...see Shelton Benjamin last few years on RAW (it felt like years!). Don't think you can break the ceiling buddy...he'll be labeled "can't draw, can't speak, can't work correctly"

SmackDown:

1. Trevor Murdoch - He had to go with Cade elevated/linked to Jericho and gone from his side. Because Murdoch's body type is atypical, he will NEVER be more than "named" enhancement talent (ie Val Venis). A tag team with Jimmy Wang Yang would be an interesting redneck tandem? Just might work!

2. Big Danddy V - Ordered to lose 50-100lbs before returning, hopefully in a body suit/PJs...will be 2nd tier talent on SD, but means NOTHNIG for ANY brand.

3. DH Smith - Shot out the cannon and was getting over with little help, but the public drug test failure sent his stock to just above ZERO.

4. Brian Kendrick - I guess that means Paul London will be further smacked in the face with ZERO bookings on RAW house shows and he'll make the occasional Heat appearance...oh wait Heat was cancelled and so IS his career! As for Kendrick, a bit brighter on SD, but plenty of Samoan spikes, pedigrees, mic checks, tree slams are in his immediate future...after that they could rebuild him from the ashes which will lead to NOTHING! Sad way to kill a tag team that meant something two years ago!

5. Maria - Shocker for me...Once the hottest Diva at the start of the year, got Playboyed and now dumped asap to SD...wow, that's an a CLEAR indication that your career has peaked...see Torrie Wilson for Maria's future!

6. Shelton Benjamin - Up, down, up, down...which way is he headed?! I see him as an IC or US title chaser and holder. I wish the best for Shelton - may he be blessed with "normal" hair color once again!!!

7. Carlito - get mad and rip a hole in Triple H only to move to SD under TRIPLE H...screwed again...time to revisit WWC in Peurto Rico and be champ there!

ECW:

1. Mark Henry - Will be ECW champ at Night of Champion. This is the fall out from the Michael Hayes racial insensitive case. I like Herny, but WWE doesn't. Why?!? He makes a downside $1 Million (or has it been 10 years already).

2. Hornswaggle - Don't care, but kids do like him.

3. Super Crazy - Welcome home "ECW Original"...as soon as Adamle says "ECW Original" Crazy's career will essentially be over just as quick...I hope not, but you know what "Not Vince's Original" means in the big picture!

4. Finley - old veteran paired up with Hornswaggle...they'll push their merchandise for another year. Great teacher/worker, will probably have a program with Henry to make him look better (aka what he did for Batista)

I know why Layla was moved to Raw.

She's gonna be the host of the next Diva Search contest.

Wait... wait...

a fantasy moment...

WWE is going to jettison her into outer space...

because hopefully that is where the next Diva Search is going to be held...

1. Mark Henry - Will be ECW champ at Night of Champion. This is the fall out from the Michael Hayes racial insensitive case. I like Herny, but WWE doesn't. Why?!? He makes a downside $1 Million (or has it been 10 years already).

The contract expired in 2006.

I think the dumbest part of all this is that the titles can go with the champions if they're drafted. Titles should be bonded to a show and not tradeable. If a champ gets drafted, he should have to vacate if he doesn't get beaten for it prior.

Smackdown's going to seem weird without a secondary title unless Matt Hardy or Chavo somehow get traded. I don't think Jericho's going there really, plus he'd have HHH to deal with again.

TV title being brought back maybe?