TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Zetterberg is God

NHL Thread

I hope Montreal knocks out Buffalo. Not just they can stay close with Pittsburgh, but you know, brag about it to certain family members and the wife. And to tell all of you guys that I said earlier that Buffalo wont make the playoffs :D

Ask and ye shall receive. Buffalo becomes the third team in NHL history to miss the playoffs the year after leading the league in points.

I still can't believe it's coming down to the last game of the season for Ottawa. Rangers and Capitals both won as well. Even the beatdown of the Leafs doesn't make me feel better, after seeing Alfie get knocked into next week.

Ovechkin now has 65 goals, after a two-goal night against the Lightning to become the highest scorer left-winger in a single season. Playoff race going down to the wire, there just can't be any doubt now about who the MVP is this season.

And the Rangers clinch. This is great, 3 years in a row. Renny is a great coach. Even without Jagr having a great year we still did it. The PP is starting to heat up and Drury and Gomer are playing great going into the playoffs. The fact we clinched against the Ice-Landers makes it sweeter.

Ask and ye shall receive. Buffalo becomes the third team in NHL history to miss the playoffs the year after leading the league in points.

Oh how I wish I was home mocking all those Sabres fans and listen to them whine about it. Anyways, maybe next year, thats if the fan base shows up if the team becomes even more pathetic.

Who were the others? I heard both TSN and The Score mention that, but little else.

Also, remember when Vancouver beat Edmonton on the last night in 2004? When the fans sang 'nah nah nah nah, hey hey hey, goodbye' at the Oilers?

I'd like Vancouver to get into the playoffs, obviously, but karma.

It looks like Alfie and Mike Fisher are going to be out for a signifigant amount of time. (Fisher with a groin injury.)

The Kings won, so now we won't have the best odds in the lottery, barring a miracle. This team can't do anything right.

Guest (Loggins Name)

Nashville won tonight and the Hawks are through. Highly disappointing season in some respects, given all the hype around the youngsters, but the team's organizational health has increased exponentially, and with the right moves this summer, there's no way they don't make an impact next year. At least this season got people interested in Chicago hockey again, and they'll be able to watch the games on TV, now, too. Those better be great ratings after all these years.

Maybe Rockford will do well in the AHL from here on out. Go (shudder)...IceHogs.

It looks like Alfie and Mike Fisher are going to be out for a signifigant amount of time. (Fisher with a groin injury.)

Both will probably miss the first round of the playoffs. But, at least it looks like the Sens will actually make the playoffs -- even if they lose to Boston tonight (which I'm expecting), I can't see Philly picking up all four points against the Devils and Penguins.

Philly being the odd-team out would make my day; they were the team responsible for Boston's two worst injuries this season (the questionable hit on Bergeron & the out-right cheap-shot on Alberts), plus I detest a fair amount of their fanbase. Having them suffer through last season & then make such a splash at the deadline & in the off-season and STILL miss the postseason would be exquisite.

Then again, them not making it makes a Boston/Montreal first round match-up VERY likely, and that's not something that's appetizing at all.

Philly being the odd-team out would make my day; they were the team responsible for Boston's two worst injuries this season (the questionable hit on Bergeron & the out-right cheap-shot on Alberts), plus I detest a fair amount of their fanbase. Having them suffer through last season & then make such a splash at the deadline & in the off-season and STILL miss the postseason would be exquisite.

Then again, them not making it makes a Boston/Montreal first round match-up VERY likely, and that's not something that's appetizing at all.

I'd love to see the Habs-Bruins in the first round, given the history and rivalry. The season series sweetens the deal as well. Plus, despite the NHL marketing machine would probably overkilling it, but a first-round matchup of Pittsburgh vs. Washington would be pretty cool.

Looks like the Sens will sneak in the back door. Carolina has lost to Florida, leaving them needing a Washington loss in regulation to make the playoffs. Ottawa, Boston and Philadelphia will all clinch playoff spots tonight (Boston assuming they hold onto this lead).

Aaaaaand the Flyers are in by virtue of a dominating win vs. the Devils and Carolina losing to Florida.

CarLOLina dropped from third to ninth with their loss tonight. Pretty damaging.

I'm very proud of the Bruins making the playoffs too. They're the kind of team that is dangerous in the playoffs: Very streaky goalie; Very streaky scoring; Very tough to play against.

All things considered, I'd rather they play Pittsburgh, even with their Hossa-Crosby-Malkin line. Considering what the Scabs have done over the last however many games...Pittsburgh.

EDIT:

Holy fuck, if the Bruins get two points against the Sabres tomorrow and a Rags loss on sunday, the BROONS would take over fifth from the Rags. Either way, a single point tomorrow gets them sixth and the possibility of a matchup against Warshington/CarLOLina...I would certainly rather that than the Scabs or Crosbys.

So, as discussed, a pretty unique situation with the playoffs. With the exception of Washington-CarLOLina (I'm gonna steal that), the six other teams in 1-8 have all clinched. If Washington wins Sunday, they're in. If they don't, Carolina's in - I'm hammered, but is that right?

Oh yeah, Czech and the Hawks continue to fuck over gamblers across the continent. For all the talk early this week of "Nashville will get in because all they have to do is beat St. Louis and Chicago", Chicago gets the win tonight.

Guest Teal-y Dan

If Detroit takes the last game off or otherwise gets beaten like they have five times already, the Hawks will miss the cut by one stinkin' point. Right in the middle of draft/playoff purgatory. The fucking worst. All I can think of is that horrible sans-Toews losing streak when they couldn't do anything right.

Regarding next year's TV deal: there seems to be some ambiguity as to whether the 20 WGN games are only on channel 9 or if they're on 9 and the superstation feed. Either situation would result in nationally televised Blackhawks, but if it's the former, the nation will be Canada, since I think they get the local feeds of WGN and WTBS. It's time for Hamilton to commit to the Indian.

So, as discussed, a pretty unique situation with the playoffs. With the exception of Washington-CarLOLina (I'm gonna steal that), the six other teams in 1-8 have all clinched. If Washington wins Sunday, they're in. If they don't, Carolina's in - I'm hammered, but is that right?

Almost. All Washington needs is a single point, so they can lose in overtime and still get in.

The amazing thing is -- this was Florida's first win in Raleigh in sixteen games (0-14-1).

I don't see the refs letting Washington lose that game. The over/under on Washington power plays is going to be around 10. I'd say there would be a sniper in the stands to take out Olli Jokinen, but the NHL owners are probably too cheap to spring for one. I don't mind as I'd certainly rather watch Ovechkin than Carolina in the playoffs.

My mom asked me about the standings earlier in the week, and why Carolina was in third, despite having the eighth-most points. My explaining of the division leader rule made me realise, once again, how stupid it is. Thus, I came up with division re-alignment if/when Winnipeg and Kansas City get teams again:

Four divisions per conference, four teams per division. I've always liked the idea of divisional matches in the playoffs and division winners.

Howe Conference

Messier Division: Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, Colorado

Gretzky Division: L.A., San Jose, Phoenix, Anaheim

Hull Division: St. Louis, Minnesota, Dallas, Kansas City

Yzerman Division: Detroit, Columbus, Chicago, Winnepeg

Orr Conference

Sittler Division:Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Buffalo

Bossy Division: Long Island, New York, New Jersey, Boston

Lemieux Division: Pittsburgh, Washington, Philadelphia, Nashville

Francis Division: Carolina, Atlanta, Florida, Tampa

Six games apiece against inter-division opponents 18

Four games apiece against inter-conference opponents 30

Two games apieces against out-of-conference opponents 32

That's 80 games, which is better. I don't have a problem per se with how many games are played, but moreso, when the season finishes. I like it starting on Thanksgiving weekend as it does now, but it really should be over by May 2-4. Yzerman's been talking about making it 84 games instead of 82. If that comes into effect, then the pre-season should be cut from nine games to four. There's no need for nine pre-season games.

Suck my balls hippie.

Flyers have actually played pretty good the last couple of weeks. I think that they need to end up 6 to have a shot though. The Penguins have owned the Flyers lately and the Habs are a good team. The best match-up would clearly be against which team wins the division that does not want to be won.

Guest Teal-y Dan

Cut the preseason to 4 games and bump the regular season back to 84. Also, is there a way we can get the playoffs to end like one week earlier so that it's not concurrent with the NBA Finals despite the season starting a month earlier?

Cut the preseason to 4 games and bump the regular season back to 84. Also, is there a way we can get the playoffs to end like one week earlier so that it's not concurrent with the NBA Finals despite the season starting a month earlier?

Yeah, you can read my post above. Bagel-lovin mothefucker.

Edit: Probably too snide, but I'd wanted to call someone a (hyphenated)-loving motherfucker for like, a week.

Guest Teal-y Dan

Yeah, you can read my post above. Bagel-lovin mothefucker.

Edit: Probably too snide, but I'd wanted to call someone a (hyphenated)-loving motherfucker for like, a week.

Yeah, well, I hate your division names.