TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Zetterberg is God

NHL Thread

If the Kings wind up with the third pick...fire everyone, for winning meaningless games, that is.

Why can't the fucking Sabres just lay down for the Bruins? The Bruins laid down for them last year. Stupid Sabres.

They started their backup who hadn't played in like 30 games...a defenseman who hadn't played all year following heart surgery...and 2 guys who hadn't played in a long time and aren't any good...

It's not their fault Boston can't score.

They'll face Washington if Pittsburgh beats Philadelphia tomorrow. If the Flyers win, then they jump up to 6th, Ottawa will be in 7th to face Pittsburgh. The Rangers and Devils face each other to determine which team gets home ice advantage in their 1st round matchup. Besides those two, we know that the Bruins and Habs will faceoff for sure in the quarterfinals. It's like a natural law in hockey that Boston and Montreal have to play each other in the postseason if they both make it.

Which is good, because I can't see Boston taking more than two games against Montreal in the playoffs, but its playoff hockey and anything goes.

Cut the preseason to 4 games and bump the regular season back to 84. Also, is there a way we can get the playoffs to end like one week earlier so that it's not concurrent with the NBA Finals despite the season starting a month earlier?

Yeah, you can read my post above. Bagel-lovin mothefucker.

Edit: Probably too snide, but I'd wanted to call someone a (hyphenated)-loving motherfucker for like, a week.

Yeah, well, I hate your division names.

Francis Division was a stretch. But who's a legend who played for a Southeastern team? Could we ever see a Brian Bradley or John Vanbiesbrouck division? I hope not.

And, the Caps' win locks Alex O for the Hart. I also think it gives Boudreau the nod for the Jack Adams. Discuss.

I'm sure this will come as shocking news, but I'm delighted to see the Bruins again in the first round.

Cut the preseason to 4 games and bump the regular season back to 84. Also, is there a way we can get the playoffs to end like one week earlier so that it's not concurrent with the NBA Finals despite the season starting a month earlier?

Yeah, you can read my post above. Bagel-lovin mothefucker.

Edit: Probably too snide, but I'd wanted to call someone a (hyphenated)-loving motherfucker for like, a week.

Yeah, well, I hate your division names.

Francis Division was a stretch. But who's a legend who played for a Southeastern team? Could we ever see a Brian Bradley or John Vanbiesbrouck division? I hope not.

And, the Caps' win locks Alex O for the Hart. I also think it gives Boudreau the nod for the Jack Adams. Discuss.

I'm sure this will come as shocking news, but I'm delighted to see the Bruins again in the first round.

No, bring back the Patrick, Adams, Norris and Smythe division. Maybe add Gretzky division and Orr division for names.

If Pittsburgh wins then round 1 has 3 great rivalries in the East: NJ/NY, PHI/PIT and MON/BOS. Awesome. The down side is the Sens getting stuck with the one team that swept them during the season.

That would be awesome. Every series in the West looks good as well:

A win by Colorado would move them into 6th, and they'd play Minnesota, so a potential playoff matchup this afternoon. If Colorado loses, Minnesota would play Calgary (which, in my opinion, could be the best first-round series), and Colorado would play San Jose. Anaheim-Dallas in 4-5 and Detroit-Nasvhille in 1-8 are both divisional matchups.

Lots of pressure on the Habs, what with the 11 game winning streak against the Bruins, the high seed, the division title...

Just saying.

Mann Fernandez coming back anytime soon?

Wait, no. The last two times Montreal was eliminated, goaltending switch did them in.

I will say, this is going to be a great first round for the East. Habs/Boston, Pit/Ott, Washington/Flyers and Devils/Rangers. That's going to be fun.

No, bring back the Patrick, Adams, Norris and Smythe division. Maybe add Gretzky division and Orr division for names.

Naw. They all have (important) trophies as well. Keep the Conference names, but change the division names to honor some legendary "Original Six" Players:

Maurice Richard of the Montreal Canadiens for the Richard Division (Obvious. And yes, he has a trophy, but he deserves a division, too.)

Gordie Howe of the Detroit Red Wings for the Howe Division (Obvious)

Bobby Orr of the Boston Bruins for the Orr Division (Obvious)

Bobby Hull of the Chicago Blackhawks for the Hull Division (Obvious)

Leonard “Red” Kelly of the Toronto Maple Leafs for the Kelly Division (Popular, excellent player, won a few Cups and held GOVERNMENT OFFICE during his time in Toronto.)

Frank Boucher of the New York Rangers for the Boucher Division (Won the Lady Byng so many times they just GAVE him the damned trophy and bought a new one, helped lead the Rangers to two Stanley Cups and won one behind the bench for them, and he's really the only legendary Ranger player that played on the team during his prime. Plus, three cups.)

- Team Movement: Florida moves to Winnipeg and they revert back to the Jets. Nashville moves to Portland and becomes the Portland Predators. Tampa moves to Las Vegas and becomes the Las Vegas Lightning. Atlanta moves to Hamilton and becomes the Hamilton Thrashers.

- Conference Switches: Detroit and Columbus move over to Prince of Wales Conference.

Campbell Conference

Howe Division: Chicago Blackhawks, St. Louis Blues, Dallas Stars, Minnesota Wild, Winnipeg Jets

Boucher Division:Colorado Avalanche, Edmonton Oilers, Calgary Flames, Portland Predators, Vancouver Canucks

Hull Division: Anaheim Ducks, San Jose Sharks, Los Angeles Kings, Phoenix Coyotes, Las Vegas Lightning

Prince of Wales Conference

Orr Division:Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Flyers, Washington Capitals, Carolina Hurricanes, Columbus Blue Jackets

Kelly Division: Boston Bruins, Montreal Canadiens, New Jersey Devils, New York Rangers, New York Islanders

Richard Division: Detroit Red Wings, Toronto Maple Leafs, Hamilton Thrashers, Ottawa Senators, Buffalo Sabres

Give outstanding players of recent memory like Lemieux and Gretzky trophies in their honor. I'm sure they can make up a few things for them ("General Lifetime Achievement in advancing the NHL in a meaningful way"). Add in a few more to honor Defensemen (Paul Coffey Offensive Defensemen Award for one, Scott Stevens Achievement for physical players, with qualifiers of no fines, no suspensions, and less than 125 PIM).

Go to Ken Holland's plan of 84 Games.

Guest Teal-y Dan

Chris Pronger would win the inaugural Scott Stevens Award For Being A Fucking Prick Who Gets Away With Everything Because No Fines/Suspensions/PIMs Are Levied Against Him.

Also, you have to put Chicago, Toronto, St. Louis, Minnesota, and Detroit together. I mean, you start with that and go from there.

As much as I'd love for Chicago to be in the same division (Since the rivalry between the two cities is great), I hate being in a division where basically only home games are at EST. But I've finally accepted the fact that the large part of Southern teams need to be killed (Carolina and Washington being the only exceptions now). In all honesty, if they weren't stuck playing 4 other (essentially) expansion teams most of the time, the Caps would probably be a bit more popular.

And find another name, but something honoring physical players (it doesn't just need to be defensemen) who play clean is something necessary. I mean, it's fun to have Nick win the Norris all the time, but Phaneuf deserves some sort of award for his great play. It seems like there are a dozen awards geared towards everyone but defensemen.

On-topic: I'm sad that the Wings didn't get seeded with the Canucks, who we'd readily roll over. But the Predators aren't too bad as long as they can survive the 3rd Period flurry that they seem to put up. It's better than getting stuck with the Blackhawks, who would still worry me even though we've beaten them a few times recently. But I feel pretty good about this playoff run. I just hope the Sharks get eliminated in the first round to shut Barry Melrose up already. I can only handle so many verbal blowjobs, and he's been doing this for like two years now.

Guest Teal-y Dan

Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to me if Jeremy Roenick got his name on the Stanley Cup.

I can't bat an eye over the Eastern thing. Dallas and Minnesota, espec. Dallas, play oodles of division games against teams two hours to the west. Now that sucks, and Minnesota Wild/Vancouver Canucks isn't even a real fucking rivalry.

If Dallas didn't have long-standing rivalries with teams in a totally different conference, I might agree. Then again, I'm pretty sure that Detroit probably plays more 2-3 hour away games than Dallas does, simply because they are one of two EST teams and there are only 5 CST teams in the conference.

Frankly, I have no clue why Dallas and Minnesota aren't in the same conference. It seems to me that there's an instant-rivalry not being exploited in the "Old Franchise/New Franchise" thing. Then again, I just don't care anything for Minnesota so I just feel nothing towards them.

Link

In November 2007, NHL Board of Governors announced that the format schedule for 2008–2009 season will revert to the format used before the lockout, allowing teams to play at least one game against each team. The format will be as follows:[2]

* Six games against division teams (three home games, three road games, 24 games total)

* Four games against same conference other teams (two home, two road, 40 games total)

* A total of 18 games against other conference teams (nine home, nine road) with at least one game against each of the 15 teams.

However, it is rumored that another major NHL re-alignment is on the way for 2009 or later. Several alternate formats (for the league and the schedule) have been suggested:

* Re-alignment into two conferences of two divisions each instead of the current three, with the divisions roughly aligned on the basis of standard time zones. It has been further proposed that the top two teams in each division would automatically qualify for the playoffs, with the second place teams being awarded the third and fourth seeds. [3]

* Re-alignment into three conferences, with the Eastern Conference staying intact and the Western Conference splitting into two conferences based on time zones. One conference would be aligned to include all the current Western Conference teams from the Eastern and Central time zones (Detroit, Nashville, St. Louis, Columbus, Chicago, Dallas, and Minnesota), while the other would include teams from the Mountain and Pacific time zones (Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, Colorado, Anaheim, Los Angeles, Phoenix, and San Jose).

* Re-alignment into four conferences, with the six Canadian teams placed in one conference and three eight-team conferences created for the U.S. teams. The conferences may or may not be further split into divisions under such a format. Reducing the conferences' size would allow for teams to play home and away against each inter-conference opponent while still allowing for several games against each intra-conference opponent.

* Re-alignment into five divisions (Southeast, Northwest, Midwest, Pacific and Original Six). This would allow teams to play a home and home versus every other team (58 games), plus 4 additional games against divisional opponents (20 games), and a home-and-home series against two non-divisional rivals (4 games), which would rotate. In Olympic seasons, teams would play a 78-game schedule, with the extra non-divisional games removed. Playoff seeding would include the five divisional champions, then at-large teams, with the highest seeds choosing their own opponents in a draft of playoff-eligible teams.

While I know that it's Wikipedia, the latter three are just wacky enough to warrant some discussion. An Original Six division? A Canadian Conference? Interesting ideas, if a bit out-there.

As great as the ideas sound, an all-Canadian or all-Original Six conference is grossly unfair.

My biggest concern is fairness in the alignment. Should Detroit play 20 games in each time zone when Anaheim or San Jose play 77 games in the Pacific? If they can't remedy that (or similar inconstitencies), they need to do something along the lines of, say, drawing up the divisions by latitude instead of longitude. Even something along the lines of baseball, with an east/central/west in each conference sounds pretty do-able.

Don Cherry made a point Saturday about how much more entertaining 1-8 is than the division-based playoff seedings. So maybe, using my conference re-alignment above, four division winners and four wild cards, but let the best play the worst, and so on, regardless of division.