TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Angle-plex

Should Austin come back for one last match at Mania 25?

Did nobody watch Austin's last match? The whole storyline was predicated on Austin passing the torch. I remember Rock's interview prior to the match. "Finally..." and all that.

That was about ROCK finally getting a win at Mania against Austin. Not the same thing exactly. However, thinking about it now maybe he should leave it be. That is a good end to his career, but EVERYONE is forgetting the Survivor Series send off Austin got.

Guest Shylock

If he was to have one last program that ends at 'Mania with a match, I'd like it to be MVP who got the rub from the whole deal and sending Austin into retirement.

Did nobody watch Austin's last match? The whole storyline was predicated on Austin passing the torch. I remember Rock's interview prior to the match. "Finally..." and all that.

That was about ROCK finally getting a win at Mania against Austin. Not the same thing exactly. However, thinking about it now maybe he should leave it be. That is a good end to his career, but EVERYONE is forgetting the Survivor Series send off Austin got.

Does that really count? All Austin lost was his co-GM slot. Eric's team won but Austin still showed up on tv.

Given that Austin hasn't wrestled in a *very* long time, the notion of a angle leading to his "retirement" are essentially moot.

However, Austin has gone on record in an interview somewhere that he has one last big match in him. Now, if he worked out and literally said that this match was only about that one last "big match" to give a knowing goodbye to the fans (read: a "special challenge" sort of scenario) and didn't get run into the ground by and overly contrived angle that the WWE can't possibly sustain (i.e. Flair's retirement) I'd be really interested in watching it.

But if he's magically inserted into a title match or random bullshit that coincides with his last match calander, I can't possibly begin to care. Really, I love Austin and would like to; but, man, it's just not going to happen.

Exhibition or bust. Otherwise I think that no one buys the attempt or cares about the match.

Austin and JBL would be all kinds of awesome.

Agreed. They should go for that. :headbang:

Am I the only one who fails to see how beating a long-retired wrestler with well documented injuries and no chance of doing anything more than a one-shot can give anyone the dreaded "rub"?

This is a really odd trend around here. Beating Flair is 'instant rub'. Taker's WrestleMania streak is 'instant rub'. Beating Austin is 'instant rub'. I just don't see it. One match alone isn't going to turn anybody into a star overnight. Sure, it might help them along the way. But it's just as likely to turn into something new to boast about in every damn promo until people get bored of it and it begins to mean nothing what-so-ever, like Chris "First Undisputed Champion" Jericho.

I agree about the Jericho thing. The casual fan could care less about that. I really thought Austin or Rock should have got the undisputed title. It would have meant more with all the nitro/raw war. Jericho winning it wasn't no big deal especially how they booked him with the title. Steph's manservant being one incident. :huh:

It's an odd argument to have. To argue that getting a rub from retiring Flair, to end Taker's streak, to retire Austin (though that's an odd notion in itself considering his wrestling schedule these days is nil) could be equivalent to the Chris Jericho "First Undisputed Champion" deal is to assume that WWE would fuck it up as bad as they did the Jericho reign. Now assuming they did not fuck it up, is there any question whether those events would be a huge rub to be given? I'd say there is no argument there.

Since there's Rock talk here, I'm just going to say it that I DO think he will be back. If only for one more match, one more angle, or more.

I'm not saying it will be in the next couple of years, maybe it won't even be until he's into his 50s, but he's still in good shape.

I don't like how everyone likes to get all upset and say hes never coming back at somebody when they mention him. Never say never, and I'd be willing to put money that at SOME POINT, we'll see The Rock in a wrestling ring again.

I'm not going to say anymore about it because I know everyone will get up in arms. It's just my prediction, that I don't think is as far fetched as everyone else seems to.

Austin is a Red-State Redneck.

Austin drinks a bunch of "Steveweisers" and his drunk ass beats people up.

Austin curses and spits and abuses people.

Austin is 1998. Old. He is an oldie. He is "classic rock".

Don't your realize that beer and red state politics and cursing are wrong. Don't you realize the world needs a revolution?

STRAIGHT. EDGE.

My endorsement is CM Punk vs. Austin. That would be passing the torch. I would have Punk win, leave Austin battered in the ring, then, right when Punk is at the top of the ramp...he comes back down and helps Austin up. Because new recognizes old.

I would love to see it.

Don't your realize that beer and red state politics and cursing are wrong. Don't you realize the world needs a revolution?

STRAIGHT. EDGE.

My endorsement is CM Punk vs. Austin. That would be passing the torch. I would have Punk win, leave Austin battered in the ring, then, right when Punk is at the top of the ramp...he comes back down and helps Austin up. Because new recognizes old.

I would love to see it.

As cool as that sounds, I can't see Austin lying down for anyone if he does wrestle again

STRAIGHT. EDGE.

I would love to see it.

I'd go for that if Punk can establish himself as a major player. He's not _quite_ yet there yet...also, he'd have to be heel for the feud, and I don't think WWE is going to turn him if they're pushing him for the kids.

Austin has nothing left to prove or accomplish. They should absolutely induct him into the Hall of Fame next year, though. In fact, there are a ton of guys who are either from Texas or made their name there that they can and should induct next year, such as Austin, Hansen, Funk, the Von Erichs, etc.

Guest This is Bo

Why am I the only one that think CM punk is overrated?

Cena vs. Austin...I dont think would be good for the simple fact is half of the fans hate Cena... 90 percent of the fans love Austin. WWE will try to put Austin as a heel to keep the pretty boy face intact on Cena (as much as I hate it.)

How many times have the Rock and Austin faced in Wrestle Mania? I count two...right? Well, they are 1-1, so another face off would be kinda cool, the tie breaker. Let them both talk shit, and "lets settle this once and for all." That's if the Rock does come back, I dont think he is, although I would love to be wrong. I would just make them both know that they are coming back for this one last match...win lose or draw, this is the last match and they will go "ALL OUT" for the win.

Austin vs. Ortan sounds good on paper, but the next WM will be in Texas, so you know a win for Austin is like a given.

For some reason I would like to see HBK vs. Austin...No reason why, but it really facinates me. People still showed love for HBK even when they tried to put a little heel on him right before WM, he can work the mic and can do great matches.

That's my imput on things.

How many times have the Rock and Austin faced in Wrestle Mania? I count two...right? Well, they are 1-1, so another face off would be kinda cool, the tie breaker. Let them both talk shit, and "lets settle this once and for all." That's if the Rock does come back, I dont think he is, although I would love to be wrong. I would just make them both know that they are coming back for this one last match...win lose or draw, this is the last match and they will go "ALL OUT" for the win.

Austin and Rock have faced each other 3 times at Wrestlemania:

WM15-Austin

WM17-Austin

WM19-Rock

Nobody is going to retire Austin because he has been retired 5 years. Rock is retired as well. It seems as though wrestling fans have been disillusioned as to what retirement actually is.

If Austin WAS stupid enough to do another match, just make it against Vince or something.

How would ending UT's streak NOT equate to a big rub, exactly?

I'm not saying it couldn't. But people seem to be talking in terms that beating The Undertaker at WrestleMania is going to make anyone a star overnight, in and of itself. Ending Undertaker's streak is probably the best starting point possible that the company has. But it's what happens after that counts.

You can't just 'make' someone in the course of one match by booking them to 'be made' by someone. Forcing it like that never works. Just as likely to backfire. If anyone's ever made themselves a star in the course of one match, it's via performance (ie. Austin at WM 13). You can argue maybe Sting over Flair, but that wasn't just 'put Wrestler X against Ric Flair and have him pass the torch', it wasn't built backwards from the win like Undertaker's streak it was built from the ground up. Just beating The Undertaker... all it is is one accomplishment unless the follow up angle works or unless it's a fantastic match with a great performance from the right guy at the right time.

Not to mention, the fact that building someone around one win or one accomplishment is doomed booking, because inevitably people are going to get sick of hearing about it. Not just Jericho as Undisputed Champion, but stuff like Billy Gunn as King Of The Ring, Luger slamming Yokozuna, Booker T 5-Time WCW Champion, and so on.

If it's the right guy, a great performance and the follow-up is good then sure it'll put somebody over. But just expecting that one win alone to set somebody up for life is idealistic at best. That's all I'm arguing.

I think that if someone beat Taker at Mania, there would only be a huge backlash against the guy and he'd end up being a huge flop. Taker and his streak are too attached to people and people who legit hate the guy that the company forced him to lose to. It would be one of those moments were people would stop thinking in kayfabe while watching the show and just think about the shitty booking they just saw.

Yeah, I can't see any good coming out of Taker jobbing the undefeated streak now. Orton was the best guy imo and they didn't pull the trigger. The wwe has also gone out of the way to make him the only undefeated male wrestler in Mania history now if memory is correct. Edge had a streak going until last year and they were conscious of it.

Cena/Austin would be good and yes Cena would get heel heat, but anyone facing Austin will get this heat in Texas. Rock or Austin in a return match will get Hogan WM 18 heat regardless.

Virgil's 2-0. They should build that up.

I'd rather Austin not come back to wrestle. He had a great last match, and it would be kind of sad to see him go out there and just rely on nostalgia to get through it.

Wrestlers with a minimum of three matches at WM that are undefeated:

Animal 3-0

Ax 3-0

Hawk 3-0

Rob Van Dam 4-0

Sable 3-0

Undertaker 16-0

Maybe. I got the stats from the same guy that compiled records of every WM participant. He was counting what was actually shown from the start of the PPV, not dark stuff before it. It's arguable that it was a WM loss, though, so count whatever you think individually.