TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheex Incarnate

Dream matches

I know they wrestled once in 2001, and disappointed the hell out of most people, but I'd love a full-on Matt Hardy vs Jeff Hardy match. Maybe a ladder match with the US or IC belt on the line.

I could pretty much watch Sting wrestle any of the top guys in WWE. He's not great in the ring or anything...but he's got that "thing" that makes me like his matches. I don't know what that thing is...but I like watching him anyway...

John Cena reminds me of a lot of "young" Sting. They both have "it." They aren't the greatest technical wrestlers, but they both have great mic skills and flat tops.

Here's one I've mentioned before on the board, but how about RVD vs. Goldberg? The most dominant ECW guy of an era vs. the most dominant WCW guy of the same era.

To me a dream match has to be something that hasn't been done before, so stuff like RVD/Rey or UT vs. Shawn is out.

Yeah, but RVD/Goldberg wouldn't really be a dream match because they have entirely different styles. RVD is more aerial flippy-floppy, and Goldberg was a straightforward powerhouse. RVD would make Goldberg look like a million bucks, but the match would be shit due to Goldberg not wanting to sell anything of RVD's.

Re: Cena

I MUST be in the minority of the IWC now, because I haven't enjoyed a single Cena match since Vengeance '03 (which still remains as the ONLY Cena match I like), outside of Cena/Orton SSlam '07 due to the heat Orton was getting just by locking Cena in a headlock.

I MUST be in the minority of the IWC now, because I haven't enjoyed a single Cena match since Vengeance '03 (which still remains as the ONLY Cena match I like), outside of Cena/Orton SSlam '07 due to the heat Orton was getting just by locking Cena in a headlock.

How can that be possible? He's had the most good-great matches of any pro wrestler on the planet the last three years.

Royal Rumble 07 vs. Umaga is one of the top 10 matches I've ever seen. Period.

Not to mention vs. Lashley(which I adored), vs. HBK for an hour on Raw, vs. Orton at SS and NWO, vs. Edge at SS and Unforgiven, vs. HHH at WM22

If you haven't seen any of these, check them out. He doesn't do as well on TV because he doesn't have time to play to his strengths(long term selling, storytelling, comeback spots,etc.).

It's funny but I actually had a booking idea for that RVD/GB match that turns Goldberg's no selling into a positive. Imagine RVD throwing everything in his arsenal at Goldberg and like the Terminator GB just keeps getting up and coming back. Van Daminator, Van Terminator, 5 Star...none of it works for a 3 count. Goldberg destroys RVD with a bunch of high impact power moves, but RVD is too agile and keeps avoiding the lethal spear/jackhammer combo. Or maybe GB hits that on the floor.

My point is, if it was booked properly and had the right spots the match would be killer stuff. If it was paint by numbers then it wouldn't be that great.

It's funny but I actually had a booking idea for that RVD/GB match that turns Goldberg's no selling into a positive. Imagine RVD throwing everything in his arsenal at Goldberg and like the Terminator GB just keeps getting up and coming back. Van Daminator, Van Terminator, 5 Star...none of it works for a 3 count. Goldberg destroys RVD with a bunch of high impact power moves, but RVD is too agile and keeps avoiding the lethal spear/jackhammer combo. Or maybe GB hits that on the floor.

My point is, if it was booked properly and had the right spots the match would be killer stuff. If it was paint by numbers then it wouldn't be that great.

Yes.

And the John Cena = Sting comparisons are right. Cena has said multiple times that he tries to channel the energy of a young Sting alot of the time. If you look for it, you can see the influence in most of his matches.

Ooh...I still want to see Hogan vs. Jarrett...just because it was announced for 2 different companies...and never happened.

It doesn't make it a dream match...but damnit...third times the charm!

Ah but they did face off! The Nitro after Great American Bash '00. The match also featured a nonsensical Kidman face turn (who was heel guest refeering and had faced Hogan the night before tried to take a spear for Hogan from the interfering Goldberg) and a foreshadowing of future events (G.I. Bro made the save for Hogan from the heels). It's depressing that I remember all of that.

I tried to find said match on YouTube but the best I could do was a Hulk Hogan and Sid Vs Scott Steiner and Jeff Jarrett match featuring hilarious Scott Steiner antics and another SHOCKING! turn.

I tried to find said match on YouTube but the best I could do was a Hulk Hogan and Sid Vs Scott Steiner and Jeff Jarrett match featuring hilarious Scott Steiner antics and another SHOCKING! turn.

Another shocking turn? Wow, WCW was so awesome back then. Did somebody deviate from the dreaded "script" or something? I sure hope so. And I sure hope that the announcers used the word script a few times.

No, this match was from before Russo's return so there's no worked shooting here. But Scott Steiner does loudly yell "fuck you" at Hogan. That alone makes it worth watching that YouTube clip.

I like that comparison, Cena to Sting...good job.

bps, that HBK/Cena match won't feel like an hour...give it a shot.

IIRC both Cena and Sting were trained by the same person, if not at the same place (obviously years apart).

I still haven't watched the Michaels/Cena match from RAW. It's on my HBK dvd...I just haven't fealt like sitting and watching an hour match recently.

I think its only 45 minutes anyway since they had to take endless commercial breaks. Watch it, its worth it!

I remember people comparing Cena when he first came out to a young Sting, so it's cool that the comparison has stuck.

I remember two matches that were "Dream" matches for me recently, but they'd probably suck if they actually occurred.

Samoa Joe vs Vader

Vader vs Brock Lesnar

Taz vs Samoa Joe

Brock Lesnar vs Samoa Joe is the only pairing that could have a pretty good match. But yeah those guys together would be pretty cool.

If I could go back in time to see a dream match, I could wish for matches like Brian Pillman (1996-pre-injury) vs. Triple H (2000-w/Steph). The matches & promos would've been out of this world.

In 1996, I would've love to see Arn Anderson vs. Jerry Lawler. The King was such a great heel in the 90's, that he could even take guy like The Enforcer, and turn him face. (or at least make the fans cheer Double A over Lawler)

Nowadays, it's hard to find a real dream match, IMO.

Early 90s Vader vs. current Joe would have been awesome. If I was putting on an all time card...there's a good chance that matchup is on it.

In a similar vein, I'd like to have seen Joe face Shinya Hashimoto or Toshiaki Kawada in their respective primes.

How can that be possible? He's had the most good-great matches of any pro wrestler on the planet the last three years.

Royal Rumble 07 vs. Umaga is one of the top 10 matches I've ever seen. Period.

Not to mention vs. Lashley(which I adored), vs. HBK for an hour on Raw, vs. Orton at SS and NWO, vs. Edge at SS and Unforgiven, vs. HHH at WM22

If you haven't seen any of these, check them out. He doesn't do as well on TV because he doesn't have time to play to his strengths(long term selling, storytelling, comeback spots,etc.).

Each of those matches, save for vs. Orton from SSlam, I found to be incredibly dull. Not offensively bad, but not particularly decent, either. They were "there," and, IMO, totally undeserving of being the main event. I don't know exactly what it is about Cena I dislike as far as ringwork goes, but everything he does either comes off entirely business-exposing or sloppy. Here's a guy with the look and the charisma, but with talent that has only decreased since his initial solid heel run in '03. It's just so by-the-numbers, and it doesn't help that he just shakes off a lot of limbwork for the sake of nailing a couple of highspots.

A match that will never happen that I would love to have seen would be Raven vs Jake Roberts. Hell, the promos and build would be better then the match.

I also wanted to see Triple H vs Brock Lesnar. I don't recall them ever hooking up.

bit off topic but this would be my dream card of wrestlers that have never faced each other before (at least to my knowledge)

Hulk Hogan (1987) vs Steve Austin (1998)

Bret Hart (1994) vs Kurt Angle (2003)

Owen Hart (1994) vs RVD (1997)

Andre the Giant (1987) vs Big Show (2000)

Randy Savage (1988) vs HHH (2000)

Shawn Michaels (1996) vs Sting (1992)

The Rock (2000) vs John Cena (2006)

Ricky Steamboat (1987) vs Chris Benoit (2004)

Ultimate Warrior (1990) vs Goldberg (1998)

Brock Lesnar (2003) vs Batista (2005)

Curt Hennig (1990) vs Eddie Guerrero (2004)

I also wanted to see Triple H vs Brock Lesnar. I don't recall them ever hooking up.

It wasn't on TV so it doesn't count, but they had a match at an MSG house show in late 2002 when Brock was WWE Champion and Triple H was World Champion. I remember the most random stuff...

It wasn't on TV so it doesn't count, but they had a match at an MSG house show in late 2002 when Brock was WWE Champion and Triple H was World Champion. I remember the most random stuff...

Almost. Lesnar/HHH was advertised for the show, but for some reason HHH pulled out and it turned into Lesnar against Team Angle in a gauntlet match. As I recall, the MSG crowd did not react positively to the change in card.