TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest (Loggins Name)

Airbag/How Am I Driving?

Just out of curiosity, what is the actual downside to having too many mods? What is the ideal number of mods? How would you ever even determine that?

By the way Bob, for your information, the board certainly doesn't police itself. I know it might seem like it from that side, but there's actually tons of shit that has to be dealt with just to make sure things keep running smoothly. I only have the wrestling folders, Dandy's there to help me and it's still a lot of work,

I just don't think it's a good idea to have so many moderators, especially when they're not needed. I really think TSM could get by with 4-5 moderators.

Given I don't see a lot of rulebreaking done by the posters, what else is there to do besides maintenance like pinning threads, closing topics and just making sure no one is being too much of a dick.

Having people on at the necessary times is one problem. If you have 4-5 moderators and one is on vacation, 3 are asleep and the other is not online, that doesn't really accomplish much. It's not like we have that many moderators to go around "policing" everyone and banning people. Bannings have been changed to trips to the Gulag, and Cheech and I don't have power to do anything like that anyway. We are basically trying to restructure and bring some life back to the wrestling folders, and the other guys are handling the necessary things on the board. There were roughly the same number of mods as last time, but Cheech and I were made custodians, not exactly mods.

If you have 4-5 moderators and one is on vacation, 3 are asleep and the other is not online, that doesn't really accomplish much.

At certain hours, you're rarely going to have any mods on anyway. That's how it always is.

It's not like we have that many moderators to go around "policing" everyone and banning people.

That's the point, the moderators aren't doing much, so having 11 is not necessary.

There were roughly the same number of mods as last time, but Cheech and I were made custodians, not exactly mods.

Before the changeover- there were 9 mods by my count. Now there are 11 plus you guys, who I didn't count. I simply think that's too many and unecessary.

Well, you are entitled to your opinion. However, there is a good mix of people on West Coast and East Coast times, and it is the set up that the new administration wanted. If they do a horrible job over the course of their tenure, I could see complaining. If nothing is going wrong, I personally don't see the point in complaining. That is me speaking for myself, and not for the mods. You have been the most vocal about it, Bob, and it makes it sound like this is really rubbing you the wrong way for whatever reason. Everyone involved is trying to make improvements that the posters want to see, not by being tyrannical and imposing their wrath. I quoted policing because that was the term you used. Moderating is not all about banning people and "policing" the place.

1. What have we done that you like?

The gulag. More shall be cast, hopefully.

2. What have we done that you wish we hadn't?

Corporate sponsors, but I understand.

3. Is there anything you'd like us to do?

Salad bar.

4. Would you invite people here to expand the community?

Commission?

5. Are you optimistic that we're not going to be fucking terrible at this?

Fucking terrible at being optimistic at all. About everything. Not necessarily here.

6. Chicken tenders or chicken fingers?

Chik'n fingers, thx.

1. What have we done that you like?

The wrestling folders are looking up. That's a huge plus. The general atmosphere is also better.

2. What have we done that you wish we hadn't?

Nothing yet.

3. Is there anything you'd like us to do?

Don't fuck up.

4. Would you invite people here to expand the community?

If I knew people that I thought would actually make good posters, yes. But in general I don't. All of them I know are already here, really.

5. Are you optimistic that we're not going to be fucking terrible at this?

I'm objective, which isn't the same as optimism. To me, you haven't fucked it up, so you aren't fucking it up. You might, but you haven't, which is good. Optimism is overrated. But good job so far.

6. Chicken tenders or chicken fingers?

Tenders. And ranch.

I'd still like my personal folder to be moved as a sub-folder of GTG. I'm not really motivated to do what I had planned on doing because maybe all of 20 people go down to the e-feds so nobody is gonna see my shit anyways. My life right now could be comedic relief to all.

Guest (Loggins Name)

It's patently absurd that you even have your own private folder in the first place. It's not as if I can put it with CWM's Lumberjack Lounge, Encyclopedia Kinetica, CanadianGuitaristCenter, The Czecherboard, Kingofthe909's Greetings From Rancho Cucamonga, Hoff-man Estates, and The Snuffbox Supper Club. Give me a break here. That I gave you your own folder was a serious misfire on my part. I hadn't read If You Give a Moose a Muffin since 2nd grade, so forgive me.

Hey guys, if you go to the pulldown and hit the End key, Fridge has his own private folder called The Failed Safe. Please, go read it and post in it so his life has a raison d'être once more.

The gulag really needs more people. And not like Marvin who just waited out his suspension...

Quite honestly I didnt want to spend 4 days only being able to see Leena's posts. I probably could have put 100 posts in there WM night in a Marvin only post thread but I decided it was better to sit and enjoy WM.

I dont get the use of the gulag as punishment unless you put a "you must post X # of times" restriction on it before you can come back. Who here wants to only be able to post in a forum that hardly anyone else reads and cant respond to? Why waste your time doing it? I dont think anyone here is that addicted to TSM that they would have to post in there for the sake of posting.

Oh, and to quote a famous fast food campaign slogan:

Chickens dont have fingers.

You mean other than Leena right?

she seemed to take some offense to the comment (I believe it got a "fuck you" in her rating thread thing) but surprisingly I wasn't thinking of her when I wrote that.

It's patently absurd that you even have your own private folder in the first place. It's not as if I can put it with CWM's Lumberjack Lounge, Encyclopedia Kinetica, CanadianGuitaristCenter, The Czecherboard, Kingofthe909's Greetings From Rancho Cucamonga, Hoff-man Estates, and The Snuffbox Supper Club. Give me a break here. That I gave you your own folder was a serious misfire on my part. I hadn't read If You Give a Moose a Muffin since 2nd grade, so forgive me.

Hey guys, if you go to the pulldown and hit the End key, Fridge has his own private folder called The Failed Safe. Please, go read it and post in it so his life has a raison d'être once more.

So wait... How do you get there? What's the pulldown?

Edit: Found it.

When I was a mod at PW.com for about 6 months I was one of 30 some odd mods. We had 8 just for the WWE folder to account for time changes, etc. So with 13ish by Bob's count that's not that much really.

Well, you are entitled to your opinion. However, there is a good mix of people on West Coast and East Coast times, and it is the set up that the new administration wanted.

Haha, West Coast mods. I'm glad the new administration wants that setup, I still don't agree with CWM and Danny Dubya at all.

You have been the most vocal about it, Bob, and it makes it sound like this is really rubbing you the wrong way for whatever reason.

I'm just posting my dislike about it and responding to those who respond to me.

Everyone involved is trying to make improvements that the posters want to see, not by being tyrannical and imposing their wrath. I quoted policing because that was the term you used. Moderating is not all about banning people and "policing" the place.

Fine, then what is it that all 11 mods will be doing?

As I said, I think 11 mods is a bit much, and I don't agree with naming someone a mod because they participate in an AIM chat

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Well, look at it mathematically, Bob.

We have over 5100 registered users. That's neighborhood of 500 users per moderator!

Most large communities run with smaller ratios than that.

In terms of "What are mods doing?" There's plenty of stuff. Considering we're (for the most part) being a lot more democratic about the decision making process, it's good to have multiple sets of eyes looking at the same thing. That's more input and more ideas.

The fact that you're really missing here is that it's their dime. If I owned the place, I'd choose my own moderator staff just as every other owner has done. Were you to financially take the reigns, you'd do the same.

In fact, just for kicks. Bob, let's pretend you're the CEO of TSM. Who's your mod staff?

Well, look at it mathematically, Bob.

We have over 5100 registered users. That's neighborhood of 500 users per moderator!

Most large communities run with smaller ratios than that.

In terms of "What are mods doing?" There's plenty of stuff. Considering we're (for the most part) being a lot more democratic about the decision making process, it's good to have multiple sets of eyes looking at the same thing. That's more input and more ideas.

The fact that you're really missing here is that it's their dime. If I owned the place, I'd choose my own moderator staff just as every other owner has done. Were you to financially take the reigns, you'd do the same.

In fact, just for kicks. Bob, let's pretend you're the CEO of TSM. Who's your mod staff?

One of the boards I post on has 5 times as many yet only have like... 5 mods.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Conversely, a football site I frequent has over 33 thousand users and at least one moderator per team forum, plus a handful of global mods and admins. Probably a ratio similar to or smaller than ours, were I to add them all up.

Guest Teal-y Dan

Okay, you guys. To what extent does a glut of posters with access to the control panel adversely affect your day-to-day posting? I'm not even the guy making personnel changes.

Here's the staff: Danny W, Josh, and Mike handling all the really important stuff; alfdogg, alkeiper, CWM, NYU, Smues, myself, Treble, Agent, VX, and 909 doing everything else; plus Cheech, Dandy, and Mik doing the wrestling stuff at the top, and they don't have control panel access. Whom do you guys specifically have problems with in positions of power and why? "There are too many mods" is a nebulous complaint. Give me some real constructive feedback as to how the staff should be assembled, since clearly its current iteration is an affront to the community. Fire away.

Perhaps extending the qualifications for modship beyond being part of the Maff AIM chatroom might be a good start? First off though, we don't really need FOUR sports oriented mods, which I see Agent, Al, VX and King being. The MMA folder definitely does not need a "custodian" of their own, since outside of EHME, there are not many troublesome posters frequenting that folder. And I'd cut down the wrestling folder custodian to a mere 1, since they are "open" to ideas in theory, you don't need any more than 1 to execute those ideas, and you still have people like King that frequent the wrestling folders, or Al, and they can do the moderating duties there if necessary.