TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest (Loggins Name)

Airbag/How Am I Driving?

Guest LME

1. What have we done that you like?

The clean slate you've extended many banned users has been a good start. Adding more users is a good thing, not a bad thing. Also, I like the effort being put into stimulating conversation in all its forms throughout the board. Hopefully it continues past the honeymoon period. The previous administration started out like this, then quickly faded away. The manual name changes were a great addition, especially with the one change per week limitation. Being extremely open to suggestions and responsive is a big plus as well.

2. What have we done that you wish we hadn't?

De-modding Agent, albeit temporarily. He's one of the best mods, as he turned NHB from a place where everyone complained that NHB sucked to a halfway entertaining area of the board.

3. Is there anything you'd like us to do?

I wish more previously banned users were let back, but I understand why the clean slate is selective. Your board, your rules. Also, any way to get the 100 posts per page option re-added? Every time this question comes up it gets ignored. I'm guessing it probably has to do with server load issues. However, as a lurker it would probably be the one thing I'd really like to see added.

4. Would you invite people here to expand the community?

I have very few online friends and my real life friends are usually too busy to participate in something like this. However, I'll try to bring a few over.

5. Are you optimistic that we're not going to be fucking terrible at this?

Sure, why not?

6. Chicken tenders or chicken fingers?

I like chicken.

As for the recent mod conversation, I'm perfectly okay with board ownership making their friends mods. That's part of the point of owning a message board, isn't it? Plus, board drama amuses me greatly and the many of the current mods are notable and polarizing. That makes for entertaining message boarding, which is the ultimate goal as far as I'm concerned.

Guest Teal-y Dan

The necessity of an MMA folder mod wasn't anything I was aware of. Mik asked me if he could handle closing and pinning threads, I said I didn't know nor care, and then someone else gave him the folder.

As for the staff all being pals, yes, you're right, and yes, I think we did let it get a little bit out of hand with how many people were promoted, but all I can offer is that it shouldn't affect day-to-day stuff much at all. Just because everyone can use the control panel doesn't mean they will at all times, in ways that affect conversations. Ideally, it just means that if you guys have suggestions for changes, there are more people available to effect them. We're more your bitches than your overlords, in a lot of respects.

As for 100-post pages, I thought about it, but I remembered that we had some bandwidth trouble when people were loading 100 posts at a time. I added 50/page last week, and maybe I'll add 65 or something, but I'm wary about going with 100.

Guest Teal-y Dan

I suppose the reason why it ended up being the AIM chat friends is that we know each other well, we get along well, and we've been at this board for so many years. I suppose the options would be either to have a well-oiled machine, so to speak, or a motley assortment of good posters. I get along with most people here, I'd like to think, so either would work with me, but I think for the most part, we've assembled a good staff. If it's any consolation for our rampant patronage, I'll try to find some ways to roll some privileges back to you guys, like we did with name changes, but I don't know what's left to roll back.

As a member of the staff, I'll admit that I kind of scratched my head at some of the promotions myself, but Danny and CWM wouldn't have modded those guys if they didn't think they would do a good job, regardless of whether they chat with us or not. Mik has never been in one of our chats, that I know of, and Cheech has only been in a handful. Also, keep in mind that we are helping pick up Mole's share of the bill for the site.

And the ROCK MODERATOR group was made as a gag; Metal Ed doesn't have any actual powers. At least that's what Czech told me.

Guest LME
As for 100-post pages, I thought about it, but I remembered that we had some bandwidth trouble when people were loading 100 posts at a time. I added 50/page last week, and maybe I'll add 65 or something, but I'm wary about going with 100.

Cool, thanks for the addition and as I said I understand if there are server issues related to adding the 100 posts per page option. Here's what I mean - so far you've been really open to feedback and suggestions. Keep it up and I don't foresee there being any real problems in the future.

Guest Teal-y Dan
I guess I just don't like the idea of VX potentially fucking with my anti Packers rants that I plan on unveiling next season when they go 5-11.

If he pulls that, I'll put them right back.

There appears to be, on the surface at least, a desire to try and make improvements (even if not everyone agrees with them) and to listen to the fair majority of TSM regulars (besides the total loons). I think dealing with Mike and Mole for the past however-long-it-has-been has caused things to really go down the shitter. I do not even think it is either of their faults. Mike is just sort of "that admin guy" that keeps everything afloat technically and nobody ever gave Mole any respect because, well, he's Mole. I'm not even trying to bash the guy, but when you come into a position of power it helps if people care enough to voice their opinions and openly discuss improvements rather than looking at the person in charge and going "eck, it's Mole, I don't want to deal with that fruitcake." Me and Czech certainly have gone around the wagon a few times (well, fairly, he's gone around it while I sat in the wagon and got burned to death) but I think everything the past week or so has been much better overall. Whether it's the "Maff Clique" or the simple fact that it is not Mole in charge, there seems to be more LIFE around here (in the "more activity" way, not the "riotous rebelling rage" way) and things just seem to get done. Could it be that nothing really got done around here for the past year or so? I won't go that far, but there just was not the same sort of community around here that seems to be (re-)building now.

I don't give a shit about the number of moderators around here. I think everyone with a colored name knows that if something happens and it's hated on by the uncolored folk, there's a whole other board they can go, if they have to, and bitch (where the mods here would be bound to see it since most of them are over there anyway) and there is fantastic feedback that does not just turn into a bunch of whiny bitches fighting.

So no, I don't think anything has been done wrong. The re-combining of that middle section of CE/Sports/MMA with the rest of the board sometimes messes with me, but I don't hate it.

Make Leena stop using the name "Slovakia" in her goofy posts. It's not witty, cool, or otherwise, and makes me want to run a rusty rake (alliteration) across her asshole.

Of course.

Most all of you in charge have had some sort of modding experience (be it here or elsewhere) and so I am quite optimistic that things will be just fine if not better than they have been. This place doesn't feel like a total clusterfuck anymore.

Fingers.

You're all very personable. The name change thing has pros and cons but overall is probably a good move (if the display name history could be brought up without having to click on someone's profile, that would eliminate one of the variables I consider a con). Cheech and Dandy seem to be trying with the WWE folder and coming up with tactics to encourage discussion, but the flip side of that is it encourages more discussion and argument banter with people the TSM Intellectual Thinkers Society don't want to hear from in the first place.

Can you guys perhaps agree on a title for yourselves or is that going to the next "great" TSM running gag? What zany thing will the Tie Wearers / Waffle House Managers / Whatever they are now be next!? (Yes, that's quite the minor nitpick but there hasn't really been any major decisions that I have any issue with).

Send TaigaStar to the Gulag. She seems like the type that would chat in there for the sake of doing so. I know people have been complaining about her from day one but I'm not familiar enough with her posts to know about that (though I have seen a few where she came off as... I don't know what to call it, trying to hard by acting like she wasn't trying hard enough? Maybe simpler put as "being annoying"?) but I DO know that she apparently lacks the ability to notice EVERY SINGLE PERSON'S MEMBERSHIP STATUS IS MODERATOR before starting a thread to say "Hi community that already doesn't like me, here's another example of me not using my head and annoying you!".

A friend of mine is a member here but despite my telling him he could discuss non-wrestling things, he seems to think he'll get found out as a non-fan by posting about food and baseball and be banished (partial exaggeration on his part, I'm sure). I've explained to him more than once that it's fine, but I guess when he sees me talking about wrestling he gets lost and often forgets about the board.

All 27 of you should be able to adequately moderate the goings on here and make it a better place for those that already enjoy it here.

Fingers.

Guest Teal-y Dan

I change the staff group names because I can. The idea was to not call ourselves any sort of authority.

That's an excellent point about TaigaStar. I'm going to do it!

The Gulag has entertainment potential. Right now it's just Leena so it's like staring at a lioness at a zoo. It's be nice to see some gazelles thrown in with her.

I second the motion.

Guest Teal-y Dan

The folder realignment was just going back to what it was before Mole changed it.

I think all the ground has been covered in the Too Many Mods brouhaha. I'll change it back to Members, or something else, if anyone wants to suggest a replacement.

After going over some of the opening posts about how the mod status was turning into "Olympia Dukakis and Bo Derek in: Too Many Grandmas" I was going to offer my take, but since Dandy and Czech already explained the whole "Dandy, Cheech, and the like have no real power", it would just be repeating points already made. I mean, Cheech and Dandy can't even change your name for you - and YOU can do that for yourself. Is THAT the power that is feared? Having a few people in the wrestling area that are knowledgeable / not The Truthiness that have the ability to pin and unpin threads, move things around, merge redundant topics if two people started the same thing by accident, etc. is not a bad thing and really shouldn't change your posting habits.

So, after saying I wasn't going to take the time to repeat points already made, I did and I believe parroted Czech's "does this change your posting habits?" question. Leena, I probably deserve an infraction.

Edit: This was being written before Czech's last post.

Guest Teal-y Dan
"Olympia Dukakis and Bo Derek in: Too Many Grandmas"

Did someone let Venks in the staff folder?

I do agree with her point that Tzar was using questionable math to justify the ratio, but at the end of the day it's just more people that can help out with something. I think Czech's explanation of why the Maff crew wound up with the positions was good too - that doesn't mean it's a good enough explanation for you or Leena or bob or Porter or anyone else saying "why are THESE people in power?", but it at least showed the train of thought behind the decisions. And hey, I've been at chats and you don't see me holding a Wrestling Custodian title.

I hereby ask to be transferred to the Gulag myself, at least until such time as Taiga is let out. After all, I had the same initial reaction:

I'm entirely too tired to respond right now.

Wait. When the hell did I become a mod. And why. <blinking>

<looks around a bit more>

I made everyone a mod.

Oh.

So, Taiga's banishment just proves my Leelee's point. It's all about your popularity. I'm a draw, so I wasn't thrown in there immediately. Taiga, apparently, isn't, so she was.

Like Tom said: "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss."

So, Taiga's banishment just proves my Leelee's point. It's all about your popularity. I'm a draw, so I wasn't thrown in there immediately. Taiga, apparently, isn't, so she was.

Like Tom said: "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss."

Because that never happens in other message boards.

No offense to anyone that was confused by the member/moderator thing, but if I don't see all that shit over there <-- in a color other than black, I don't take much notice of it. And if I did see my name or someone else's name in a color I didn't recognize or with a name I didn't recognize, I'd at least look into it through the "View Members" tab or something, or PM someone.

Really I don't think she should have been banished either especially since 99% of what she does post is down south to begin with.

It just seems like the two sides of this little war (at least the louder ones) are just fighting over which way is better to be an asshole to people. Czech and the others are more sarcastically and humorously childish while the other side is the loudmouthed attention whore army (some of which are placated by the sarcastic childishness of the first group).

The Gulag seems to exist less for punishment and more for putting people in a spotlight. The ramifications of the spotlight differ depending on the victim, but it's a spotlight nonetheless. You can be like Leena or Marvin and wallow in the one-ring circus of filth like pigs or you can whine and hope you get your way and be seen like someone that just can't take a joke. Whatever works.

And as much as I still hate that Slovakia nonsense, I'm not trying to attack Leena, Marvin, Czech, or anybody with this. These various arguments are somewhere around two or three years old at this point and it is and will always be a complete and total stalemate. Both sides will always think they are correct, will always do things that annoys or upsets the other side, and outside of fleeting glimpses will never truly be at peace with each other until everything explodes.

Guest Teal-y Dan

Yeah, in spite of all the praise along the lines of "the gulag is great, guys, put more people in there to see what happens!", it seems like what DOES happen is Leena saying Of course they would put you in here. But, that is because Slovakia is the worst mod ever. 20 POINT INFRACTION., so instead of feeding a gazelle to a lion, like someone said, the lion and gazelle just sulk together. It wasn't intended to be any sort of serious punishment. I'll probably end up scrapping the whole thing if one more person gets sand in the vagina over it.

The only logical solution would be to add another folder called Solitary Confinement for each individual that misbehaves while in the Gulag.