TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest (Loggins Name)

Airbag/How Am I Driving?

Phhf. It was a thread with Noah Fentz arguing about some dumb shit with a bunch of people stupid enough to try and bother to argue with him.

Wait a couple days and another one'll materialise all by it's self.

Has anyone encountered a problem when initially visiting the main page where you get a message telling you that "Acrobat Reader cannot open these PDF files in a web browser" or something? I've gotten it on computers that are not my own, like library computers and so forth, and I was wondering if anyone else has had this come up. It could just be me.

Yes. It was on another computer. It would try to install acrobat reader every time i would click on the TSM logo up top.

This whole forum is practically "anything goes." Beyond spamming and shit like that, the only things that aren't tolerated are gross stupidity or willful obnoxiousness.

Guest Vitamin X
Well that's BS. Marvin has been grossly stupid in CE for a long long time now.

Touche. I really can't explain that one.

My hands are tied when it comes to that. 909, Czech (through bob barron, anyways), and Agent are all in support of Marv to some degree, and just having everyone else ignore him, which I sort of agree with. I didn't want to bring this up publicly, but I think it's bad enough now that we took the CE/Sports mask off him that I felt the need to air that out. Either ways, I think it's kind of a lot like the wp syndrome; maybe he's not so bad if everyone could just ignore him, but him being in some threads just completely fucks up the discussion in there and it turns into MARVIN YOU'RE SUCH A RETARD, DUDE SHUT THE FUCK UP, etc.etc. for a while, and to be honest, they're entirely right.

The catalyst for bringing him back was that alf wanted to run the fantasy draft and it'd be easier if Marv could just post there. I'm actually in favor of creating a Fantasy Sports sub-folder to keep that sort of discussion (as well as draft threads and all that) out of the main folder, but haven't heard much from the staff regarding that idea. If anyone has an opinion on that, let us know. As for Marv, the only thing I could do is to knock it off, start deleting posts, or just throw the filter back on him. I'd just ban him otherwise because I'm as sick of his shit as anyone else here, but some might find that too extreme.

Thoughts, anyone?

EDIT: Alternate idea- I am strongly considering going through the campaign thread, carving out all the Marvin posts and the reactions/discussions regarding them, and splitting that out into a new thread either in CE or elsewhere on the board, and if Marv wants to post about politics, he can do it in there. Yay/nay?

That was my idea!

I call the thread "Marvin's musings".

Anyway...he's impossible to ignore.

You're in there discussing something and then he does a run in and you have to read stuff like him thinking the economic crisis popping up after Romney wasn't campaigning anymore was a part of a plan.

How do you expect people to NOT respond to that? Where does that have anyplace in the CE folder?

Marvin's fucking retarded musings...that's where!!!

Guest Tzar Lysergic

For the record, I was officially grouchy because I just worked 116 hours in the past 8 days. My panties are now clean and fresh. Bob, I was sorry I was mean to you, and you can make fun of that Noah gaywad in the folder all you want.

It's all peaches and cream, dudes.

I think it's better for everyone to make Marvin look really, really retarded. Like last night.

Or make him talk to himself through the use of the ignore feature. That's a good one too. And really funny.

Well that's BS. Marvin has been grossly stupid in CE for a long long time now.

Touche. I really can't explain that one.

My hands are tied when it comes to that. 909, Czech (through bob barron, anyways), and Agent are all in support of Marv to some degree, and just having everyone else ignore him, which I sort of agree with. I didn't want to bring this up publicly, but I think it's bad enough now that we took the CE/Sports mask off him that I felt the need to air that out. Either ways, I think it's kind of a lot like the wp syndrome; maybe he's not so bad if everyone could just ignore him, but him being in some threads just completely fucks up the discussion in there and it turns into MARVIN YOU'RE SUCH A RETARD, DUDE SHUT THE FUCK UP, etc.etc. for a while, and to be honest, they're entirely right.

The catalyst for bringing him back was that alf wanted to run the fantasy draft and it'd be easier if Marv could just post there. I'm actually in favor of creating a Fantasy Sports sub-folder to keep that sort of discussion (as well as draft threads and all that) out of the main folder, but haven't heard much from the staff regarding that idea. If anyone has an opinion on that, let us know. As for Marv, the only thing I could do is to knock it off, start deleting posts, or just throw the filter back on him. I'd just ban him otherwise because I'm as sick of his shit as anyone else here, but some might find that too extreme.

Thoughts, anyone?

EDIT: Alternate idea- I am strongly considering going through the campaign thread, carving out all the Marvin posts and the reactions/discussions regarding them, and splitting that out into a new thread either in CE or elsewhere on the board, and if Marv wants to post about politics, he can do it in there. Yay/nay?

A) The Fantasy Sports sub folder is actually a good idea.

B) We're what, 6 weeks at most from calling an end to the Campaign 08 thread (assuming 2 weeks of after election discussion) so I dont see why theres such a need to do anything regarding that when it will end in a few weeks anyway, although we probably wouldnt be too far away from a Campaign 2012 thread considering how long the 08 thread has been going.

Marvin's a dumbass, but I don't believe we should start banning or restricting where people post because their views disagree and/or piss off a lot of the posters.

This is a forum that should be about promoting discussion, we shouldn't be telling people they can't post here if their views conflict or are deemed "stupid" by the majority.

Also, I don't think he's so bad in the sports folder. He's a homer for his teams, good for him. So is everyone.

I think Mavin should just be banned from the CE folder. I'm less annoyed by him everywhere else, but he's intolerable there, especially with his constant derailing the Election '08 thread. I have no problem with different political opinions, but this is beyond that-he knows he's pissing people off (he can claim that he's not trying to, but it's obvious that the opposite is true), and no matter how many times we tell him to stop, he won't. So to repeat myself, ban him from the CE folder, and allow him everywhere else.

Maybe he's looking forward to Worst Poster Tournament '09.

I'm sorry...but the last 2 things he "added" to the CE folder were to jump on Obama is a terrorist and that the economic crisis was planned due to Romney not getting the nomination.

There is such a thing as too fucking stupid.

And that whole "ignoring" thing doesn't work. There's too many people in there...when he says something that goddamned dumb...someone is going to respond.

I don't see how posting whatever nonsense you want everywhere is some right that needs to be protected.

Actually I was wrong. He also added a joke about the 1799!! presidential election...and a complete misunderstanding of the point of a video.

He's like a running joke to the rest of the posters in there...but I don't think they're finding him so funny anymore.

And that whole "ignoring" thing doesn't work. There's too many people in there...when he says something that goddamned dumb...someone is going to respond.

Here's another thing: the more annoyed people get with him, the more obnoxious he acts. It's like wildpegasus, only less creepy: whereas WP relied on disturbing stories like benchpress fucking, daddy's cock, covering his eyes from a Playboy, and an incestuous lapdance, Marvin uses cheap talking points as a means to get a rise out of people. And just like WP, it works every time.

I think Mavin should just be banned from the CE folder. I'm less annoyed by him everywhere else, but he's intolerable there, especially with his constant derailing the Election '08 thread.

Again, the guy should be allowed to have his viewpoints and his opinions, no matter how out of touch they may seem. And if people want to debate him go ahead. I think what's worse than Marvin posting is when people just fight with themselves to see who can go OH MARVIN YOU STUPID quicker.

It's like with INXS and C-bacon. I didn't have a problem with either of them, and I didn't agree when INXS got banned. And with c-bacon, it was so annoying that guys like lovecraft would climb over themselves to point out how stupid they thought he was rather than addressing his points or ignoring him.

no matter how many times we tell him to stop, he won't.

Why should he listen to you guys? He's posting stuff relevant to the topic at hand, no matter how off-base they may seem.

So to repeat myself, ban him from the CE folder, and allow him everywhere else.

I don't agree with folder specific bannings in general.

but the last 2 things he "added" to the CE folder were to jump on Obama is a terrorist

You may disagree with that or find it foolish, but it's been an issue that's come up the last few days. Just because he agrees with it doesn't mean he's bad for posting it.

I just think people should be allowed to discuss and post their own viewpoints, no matter how stupid other posters may think they are without fear of banning.

At least Marvin stays on topic, unlike wp

Guest Vitamin X
At least Marvin stays on topic, unlike wp

This isn't necessarily true though, bob. A lot of the things he posts probably go way off-topic, but at least I'll give Marv credit in doing what he does very well in avoiding the banhammer- he doesn't engage absolutely anyone else in flaming. This is something that I have to give him pretty good props for because a lot of posters- from Dama to EHME to WP and beyond- engage the other posters in that and that REALLY derails a thread and builds up a strong case against them.

I would have to take a slight issue with what the Ombudsman said in, "This is a forum that should be about promoting discussion, we shouldn't be telling people they can't post here if their views conflict or are deemed "stupid" by the majority." As it has been mentioned already, it's not that his views conflict- 909 and this new guy panthermatt are certainly on the conservative side, as are you no matter how infrequently you post there- or that he is deemed stupid by the majority, it's that his views ARE stupid. The guys on his side of the party fence would probably agree, but you're certainly right in that the other posters engage him so much more to the point where that has become more annoying than the drivel he posts. Which is why I'm considering splitting that stuff off into another thread, or just moderating that topic just a bit so it can stay on topic rather than turn it into Marvin Gets Flamed For Being a Dumbass 2008 with occasional political commentary.

A lot of the things he posts probably go way off-topic, but at least I'll give Marv credit in doing what he does very well in avoiding the banhammer- he doesn't engage absolutely anyone else in flaming. This is something that I have to give him pretty good props for because a lot of posters- from Dama to EHME to WP and beyond- engage the other posters in that and that REALLY derails a thread and builds up a strong case against them.

It seems like he's staying on topic for the most part, but a megathread like Campaign 2008 can go in so many different routes

as are you no matter how infrequently you post there

I would post more, but even I can't believe John McCain is running our president, so I don't have much to add. I'm a Huckabee guy myself, though I like Sarah Palin a lot for some reason.

it's that his views ARE stupid.

I don't disagree, the collapse happened b/c Romney dropped out killed me. I still think he shouldn't not be allowed to post just because people think his views are stupid.

or just moderating that topic just a bit so it can stay on topic

While CE is supposed to have limited moderation, I don't think I'd have a problem with that. If people want to dissect and dispute his posts, I don't think that should be an issue, but if people just go on and on about how dumb he is, then that's not good for anyone.

If you want to split off his stuff, good luck- I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

It's my understanding from the Grungy Punk fiasco that new members are supposed to be automatically flagged as larvae but aren't, meaning someone with admin powers has to notice it and assign them the "larvae mask".

Guest Czecherbear

I really don't think it's worth it to restrict people from full participation because they're new. Some of the people I'd restrict from full participation have been here for seven years.