TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Paul E.

Top 10 Favorite Musicians of All Time

I think individual musicians only-not solo career, just their role as whatever--is a lot more interesting for this topic than full bands, so:

Prince

Tom Waits

Bowie

Dylan

Eno

Sam Cooke

Andrew W.K.

Joe Strummer

Bernard Sumner

Morrissey

Guest Tzar Lysergic

You like Andrew WK more than Miles Davis?

Maybe I misread your theme.

Yeah, I do. Miles is great but Andrew W.K. wins my heart. There's no question Miles is a better musician--in terms of importance/relevance/mastery of craft, he probably beats everyone on my list but maybe Dylan--but I don't like him better. If I had to swap someone out for Miles on that list, it would probably be either Morrissey or Joe Strummer. I would attribute the fact that Miles/Coltrane/etc. haven't booted one of them to my lack of familiarity with their overall catalogs. I've really only given a serious listen to 3-4 of each of their albums, to my detriment.

Andrew W.K. is my huge outlier for musical credibility. The guy somehow has found the resonating frequency of my brain and pounded it into pleasantly overproduced submission. But, I'm happy to know I'll always have PLAGIARISM!!! on my side.

1. 2pac Shakur
  2. Dr. Dre
  3. Slim Shady
  4. Kanye West
  5. Nikki Sixx - Motley Crue
  6. Axl Rose - GNR
  7. Jim Morrison - The Doors
  8. Elvis Presley
  9. Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings
  10. Method Man - Wu-Tang Clan

somethin' like that. Shit is hard, son. (nh)

I'm havin trouble narrowing down some spots, like Johnny Cash, Joe Budden, Rakim, Freddy Mercury, Jim Steinmen with Meatloaf, Biggie, Jay-Z and NaS (who's the best emcees?) Bon Jovi, Marvin Gaye, John Lennon - The Beatles, Bob Marley, Jimmi Hendrix, Ozzy, Pharoe Monche, 50 Cent, Snoop, and a ton of others.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Guess I'm outnumbered. He's fun as all hell, but I'd never rate him that highly.

My list for individuals

Dylan

Miles Davis

Tom Waits

Jeff Tweedy

Warren Haynes

Duane Allman

Michael Stipe/Mike Mills

Ben Folds

David Lowery

Page/Plant

No particular order.

Budden's musical output over the last few years has been tremendous. It's all underground, and mixtape shit Mood Musik 3 is getting released as an official cd being sold in stores now.

Dude is nice with it. Mood Musik I, II and III are the most consistent albums I've heard in a minute.

http://www.datpiff.com/Joe-Budden-Mood-Muzik-3-mid9261.html

Check dude out, if you like emotional shit with lyrics about everything from drug addiction, mental health, depression, bi-polar, prescription medication,rape, aids to just straight dope punchlines, Budden does it all. And he's doin' it better then most right now.

As far as picking individuals from a group, it's obv Lemmy from Motorhead, but I really can't pick a favorite from GnR and the Crue. I love them all.

It's actually a trick I use to pick up chicks: find out which member of Motley Crue to act like (it's never Mick Mars). Pretty much every girl will fall for one of them.

As far as picking individuals from a group, it's obv Lemmy from Motorhead, but I really can't pick a favorite from GnR and the Crue. I love them all.

It's actually a trick I use to pick up chicks: find out which member of Motley Crue to act like (it's never Mick Mars). Pretty much every girl will fall for one of them.

That explains all my problems.

:lol:

I'm so stealing that trick.

I've already started on a chart matching potential bitches to the member of the Crue that I think they would favor, based on their (the bitches) personalities.

I might make a game of it for the entire summer. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Limey fairy and bookish fruitcake, respectively.

touché, salesman.

My list's pretty much the same as Edwin's, only stuff like Dylan and Sam Cooke would probably get swapped for stuff like Mark E Smith and Russell Mael. Too predictable to bother with the whole thing.

Oh, and as for picking one member of a band, I went with the dudes that wrote most of the lyrics and songs, or the dude that was the main attraction of the group. Nikki for the Crue, Axl for GNR, Morrison for the Doors, Meth 'cause he's my favorite member of the Clan. But, the entire group has to be factored in as well obviously.

First ones that pop into my mind

Ronnie James Dio

Stevie Wonder

Tech N9ne

Atmosphere

Mighty Bosstones

Lupe Fiasco

Duran Duran

Johnny Cash

Del tha Funkee Homosapien

Jedi Mind Tricks

The one guy I always forget in these things is Ray Charles... and I listen to him as often as my Top 3... so yeah, I'll take out the Mighty Bosstones, and add Ray.

Del tha Funkee Homosapien

Great choice! He'd probably make my top 20, and - were I to sample more of his work - might even overtake Big Boi as my favourite rapper.

Steve Harris (penned the best Iron Maiden songs, and the only original member left in the band)

Bruce Dickinson (more for his solo output, especially Accident of Birth and Chemical Wedding)

James Hetfield/Lars Ulrich (strictly for their 80's output)

Rob Zombie (when he wrote for White Zombie the songs resulted in being their best, ie. Astro-Creep, and I still think Educated Horses is magnificent)

Jeff Hanneman (wrote the best Slayer tunes, you can thank him for the bookends of Reign in Blood and most of their noteworthy tunes, and thank King for Diabolous and God Hates Us All)

Jerry Only (Danzig may have been the base of the Misfits, but Jerry wrote the music, and Graves-era Misfits, when Jerry was writing pretty much everything, is waaaay better than solo Danzig)

Tom Petty (only pop-y rock I can listen to)

Dave Brockie (he has the "serious buffoonery" thing down perfectly, and it shows outside of Gwar with DBX as well)

Jello Biafra (Dead Kennedys are probably the best punk band of the 80's not called The Misfits)

MC Lars (flat-out hilarity with a solid vocabulary and nice fucking samples and beats)

Steve Harris (penned the best Iron Maiden songs, and the only original member left in the band)

Bruce Dickinson (more for his solo output, especially Accident of Birth and Chemical Wedding)

James Hetfield/Lars Ulrich (strictly for their 80's output)

Rob Zombie (when he wrote for White Zombie the songs resulted in being their best, ie. Astro-Creep, and I still think Educated Horses is magnificent)

Jeff Hanneman (wrote the best Slayer tunes, you can thank him for the bookends of Reign in Blood and most of their noteworthy tunes, and thank King for Diabolous and God Hates Us All)

Jerry Only (Danzig may have been the base of the Misfits, but Jerry wrote the music, and Graves-era Misfits, when Jerry was writing pretty much everything, is waaaay better than solo Danzig)

Tom Petty (only pop-y rock I can listen to)

Dave Brockie (he has the "serious buffoonery" thing down perfectly, and it shows outside of Gwar with DBX as well)

Jello Biafra (Dead Kennedys are probably the best punk band of the 80's not called The Misfits)

MC Lars (flat-out hilarity with a solid vocabulary and nice fucking samples and beats)

Wow. I'm usually the only person who thinks that. Good job verbalizing it.

Hahaha are you serious about this? "Nerdcore" rap is the worst shit ever.

Sorry, but I'm not from "da hood, y0." I don't care for ugly faces and big fat asses, I don't want to "get crunk," and I don't do drugs. I believe in a hard day's work for my pay, I believe in mutual respect amongst my peers. I believe in talent above marketing. I'm familiar with Star Wars, indie horror/sci-fi, and punk rock. If rap is meant to be the "music of the people," why would I listen to a bunch of men who don't look, talk, or act like I do, let alone have entirely different belief systems, ramble on about topics I have little care for? The few rap artists I do listen to are either better-than-average at what they do (Ice Cube, Wu-Tang Clan, Public Enemy, Run-DMC) or have something about them that I can associate with. I'm a white nerd from the suburbs. So why the motherFUCK would I want to listen to a hundred thousand different people rhyming about how the "white man has got me down" (Immortal Technique, anyone?) or about "backin' dat azz up." MC Lars speaks to me. He, along with other rapcore artists, take rap music for what it was meant to be: fun. There's a quote from Run-DMC that I can't find, but the summation of it is that 80's MCs would do party-rap because they didn't want to be reminded about the world of shit that they lived in. Plus, how many rappers do you know could take the Scorpions' "Rock You Like A Hurricane" and sample it into a dance beat? How many could do rhymes about Edgar Allen Poe one minute, and then break into ones about depiction of Hell throughout literature? Shit, how many rappers actually even KNOW what the fuck Dante's Inferno actually is?

Bad day. Straw. Camel's back. Dig?

EDIT:

That, and I hate rap in general. Part of it comes from everything I'm exposed to daily from it being utter shit, and another part of it comes from everybody that I've been told "is good" that I haven't just discovered on my own is just a whitey-hating Malcolm X wannabe.