TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Paul E.

Top 10 Favorite Musicians of All Time

The majority of the people I've met who actually follow that "ghetto" shit are fucking welfare leeches. Few actually understand what an education can bring, and it just seems to me that the bulk of rap glorifies "easy money" via drug deadling, theft, etc.

Really though, a lot of the best rap does do that, but that's like rock glorifies drinking and casual sex. There's rap about a lot of stuff.

You know what there's not enough of, though? Satanic rap. There's barely any.

Really though, a lot of the best rap does do that, but that's like rock glorifies drinking and casual sex. There's rap about a lot of stuff.

You know what there's not enough of, though? Satanic rap. There's barely any.

MC Lars (flat-out hilarity with a solid vocabulary and nice fucking samples and beats)

Hahaha are you serious about this? "Nerdcore" rap is the worst shit ever.

Sorry, but I'm not from "da hood, y0." I don't care for ugly faces and big fat asses, I don't want to "get crunk," and I don't do drugs. I believe in a hard day's work for my pay, I believe in mutual respect amongst my peers. I believe in talent above marketing. I'm familiar with Star Wars, indie horror/sci-fi, and punk rock. If rap is meant to be the "music of the people," why would I listen to a bunch of men who don't look, talk, or act like I do, let alone have entirely different belief systems, ramble on about topics I have little care for? The few rap artists I do listen to are either better-than-average at what they do (Ice Cube, Wu-Tang Clan, Public Enemy, Run-DMC) or have something about them that I can associate with. I'm a white nerd from the suburbs. So why the motherFUCK would I want to listen to a hundred thousand different people rhyming about how the "white man has got me down" (Immortal Technique, anyone?) or about "backin' dat azz up." MC Lars speaks to me. He, along with other rapcore artists, take rap music for what it was meant to be: fun. There's a quote from Run-DMC that I can't find, but the summation of it is that 80's MCs would do party-rap because they didn't want to be reminded about the world of shit that they lived in. Plus, how many rappers do you know could take the Scorpions' "Rock You Like A Hurricane" and sample it into a dance beat? How many could do rhymes about Edgar Allen Poe one minute, and then break into ones about depiction of Hell throughout literature? Shit, how many rappers actually even KNOW what the fuck Dante's Inferno actually is?

Ok then...

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I'm coining a term for Corey going off the deep end in a post, as he's done it a few times.

An Orglazm.

Guest Teal-y Dan
Sorry, but I'm not from "da hood, y0." I don't care for ugly faces and big fat asses, I don't want to "get crunk," and I don't do drugs. I believe in a hard day's work for my pay, I believe in mutual respect amongst my peers. I believe in talent above marketing. I'm familiar with Star Wars, indie horror/sci-fi, and punk rock. If rap is meant to be the "music of the people," why would I listen to a bunch of men who don't look, talk, or act like I do, let alone have entirely different belief systems, ramble on about topics I have little care for? The few rap artists I do listen to are either better-than-average at what they do (Ice Cube, Wu-Tang Clan, Public Enemy, Run-DMC) or have something about them that I can associate with. I'm a white nerd from the suburbs. So why the motherFUCK would I want to listen to a hundred thousand different people rhyming about how the "white man has got me down" (Immortal Technique, anyone?) or about "backin' dat azz up." MC Lars speaks to me. He, along with other rapcore artists, take rap music for what it was meant to be: fun. There's a quote from Run-DMC that I can't find, but the summation of it is that 80's MCs would do party-rap because they didn't want to be reminded about the world of shit that they lived in. Plus, how many rappers do you know could take the Scorpions' "Rock You Like A Hurricane" and sample it into a dance beat? How many could do rhymes about Edgar Allen Poe one minute, and then break into ones about depiction of Hell throughout literature? Shit, how many rappers actually even KNOW what the fuck Dante's Inferno actually is?

crowpro.jpg

crowpro.jpg

I don't care for ugly faces

irony

I legitimately laughed out loud at Laz's mug... I would have in any context, but after that? Nigga please.

That picture should become a new non sequitur reply, like I occasionally did with Ducktales pictures.

Wait, what were you saying about ugly faces anyway, Corey? Like... monkey noses and catfish lips?

Sadly, I think between that post, the "at least Hitler did some things for his people" comment, and admitting he cried at the end of Click, that maybe Laz has gone off the deep end for good.

Eh, I'll throw mine in

10.) Peter Christopherson

9.) Ennio Morricone

8.) Richard H. Kirk

7.) Kevin Shields

6.) Chuck D

5.) Prince

4.) Miles Davis

3.) Brian Eno

2.) David Bowie

1.) James Brown

anyone still have that old laz pic? he looked like a blend between a nazi youth and trenchcoat mafia.

mc lars is so awful. like take atmosphere and subtract a million

Fuck it, I know i'm gonna get hated on for my list, but dammit...Fuck it.

In no Order:

Ian Curtis (Joy Division)

Johnny Cash

Pete Doherty

Nick Cave

Bob Dylan

David Bowie

Iggy Pop

Eazy-E

Notorious B.I.G.

Flight of the Conchords (Bret and Jemaine are one solid unit, so they count)

That's actually pretty good, except I know nothing about Flight of the Conchords. No Pete Doherty for me either, but the rest are favs of mine as well.

Flight of the Conchords are a New Zealand comedy folk-duo band (and they claim they're the 4th biggest in NZ, where they also invented rap) who had a show on HBO for a spell.

They're really deadpan, write ridiculous lyrics, and are just really funny.

See, I know I'm going to be the only one who likes Pete, but it's all because of The Libertines. His new hijinx? I feel sorry for him, but that's not why I'm a fan.

3. Mindless Self Indulgence

Fuckin' right, man! While they are by no means the greatest band of all time or anything like that, they are spectacular. I've been a fan for a few years, but I've recently been listening to them a lot more frequently and grew to enjoy them even more. There's really no way to describe Mindless Self Indulgence other than, "It is what it is," but what it is is done in the most entertaining way possible.

Have you ever heard Jimmy Urine and Steve, Righ?'s side project, The Left Rights?

MSI is very juvenile and extreme, and The Left Rights is basically that idea taken as far as it can go (the story goes that the album originated with the girls in the band being disgusted by and wanting nothing to do with some of the guys' ideas... those ideas became The Left Rights)

Essentially a concept album about taking a shit. There is a very small window of people who will "get it", but to them, it's fuckin' sweet. And even if not... it's one of the most batshit insane things around.

I'll list mine in no particular order...

Weezer

Eminem

Radiohead

Smashing Pumpkins

O.A.R.

The Flaming Lips

The Beach Boys

Incubus

The White Stripes

Ozzy

On the matter of Rap music, it's a matter of personal choice. It's perfectly fine to not like the music, but it's not fair to discredit the artists (well most of them). Eminem has more musical talent than so many rock artists. He's one the same poetic level as Edgar Allen Poe. He's a lyrical genius. Not to mention, he was able to take his raps, rhymes, hooks etc. and reach out to so many people and convey a message. You might not like Eminem's sound or genre, but theres no doubt that the man is a musical genius with the talent level that ranks among the elite.

In no order ...

Aphex Twin

Bon Scott (AC/DC)

Greg Ginn (Black Flag)

Burzum

Chris Doherty (Gang Green)

Charles Mingus

Bill Stevenson (Descendents, ALL, Black Flag, now the Lemonheads)

Trey Anastasio (Phish)

Ian Mackaye (Teen Idles, Minor Threat, Embrace, Fugazi)

Wattie Buchan (the Exploited)