TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Matt Young

Madden, NFL Head Coach, and NCAA Football 2009

I think one thing they need to do when selecting your play is go back to the old way where once you pick the formation it gives you an option with each button to press on the controller for any given play, instead of the newer way which highlights the play you want.

It's ok when playing online but when you are playing a friend in person, all they have to do is watch you pick your play and it makes it extremely harder.

All you have to do is hold down the A (or I'd presume X on PS3) button on the play you want, then move the cursor to another play. your original play will be chosen. It's in the manual.

Head Coach is a blast, but my love of the Draft setup has been somewhat quelled by the fact that I've gone through it about 8 times and therefore have a general idea of who's a good player, who's a good prospect and when they'll go in the draft. It's not as much fun when you know that Matt Ryan's not worth drafting because you can get Woodson or Johnson with better potential in the 4th round or later (Woodson went undrafted once, and then the last playthrough the Cowboys got him in the 3rd round, so who knows.)

I just had an insane AFC Championship game against the Chargers. I was down 14 with just under 1:30 to go, and then came back to win 41-38 in OT. Fucking crazy. Trent Edwards finished with 461 yard passing, but also threw a pick-six that haunted us the entire game.

Have any of you guys (who still play) NCAA 09 managed to get the secret achievement for it?

I gotta say, it's one I didn't expect.

throw the ball away on 4th down

Yeah, I knew about that long ago thanks to the internet. Doesn't get you any points, though.

I never heard about it.

In fact, I have yet to unlock the Madden 09 secret achievement for that matter. I don't even know what it is.

1. Create a player named John Madden.

2. Create a player named Bones Jackson and assign him to the Bears.

3. Check http://www.xbox360achievements.org/ in the future. They usually have achievement lists before the games even come out.

Have any of you guys (who still play) NCAA 09 managed to get the secret achievement for it?

I gotta say, it's one I didn't expect.

throw the ball away on 4th down

Yeah, I knew about that long ago thanks to the internet. Doesn't get you any points, though.

Yeah it does. It's a 5 point achievement.

..I think.

somewhat madden related...sums up some of the issues ive had with madden 09...

link

Guest Vitamin X

If anyone saw Rodgers' pass to James Jones this past week, I had a play that was eerily similar to that.

http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/654075

And then, here's just an awesome bomb to Greg Jennings..

http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/654251

Shame though, I lost that game on a last second field goal. For some reason my AI pass defense is fucking ATROCIOUS. I think Kerry Collins (KERRY COLLINS!) had only like 4 incompletions the whole game. And you can't blame it on me, I was playing on the defensive line and actually getting some hits on him and sacks. I think my guys dropped like 4 easy picks too, a couple which could've been returned for touchdowns.

Guest Vitamin X

Oh, and there's also a REALLY FUCKING TERRIBLE game freezing bug in Madden as well. I've had it happen to me about 4-5 times already, although thankfully it usually happens early in the game, like on the first drive or something. There's no solution other than to reboot the 360. It's the only game I ever have it happen to me on, too.

Quarterbacks in these games are too damn accurate. You shouldn't need to play around with the sliders this much to make it interesting. Defenders in NCAA routinely get beat on the easiest of patterns, they drop INTs when they hit them in the chest but they can make spectacular leaping ones from linebacker left and right (linebackers seem to have ten time better hands than cornerbacks) and it's overall just annoying how I can hit the third string quarterback from La Tech and he'll still constantly throw a perfect strike between two defenders.

I mean damn, the quarterback from TAM went 19-for-21 passing. And that was with mixing coverages, blitz packages, press, drop back, man to man....no one is that damn good. Not even Peyton Manning. Even a crazy swirling defense confuses him from time to time. Not the quarterback from Texas A&M.

I'm winning my games but that is getting a tad frustrating. It seems the computer AI gets smarter but mine got dumber. I don't get it.

Guest Vitamin X

Yeah even in THIS GAME ADAPTS TO YOU Madden, I've found that it's ridiculous how bad the pass coverage AI is. In the aforementioned game, Collins only had 4 incompletions, over 400 yards and seemed to get a first down without any problem. At least the thing that really lost it for me was throwing 3 really stupid picks, and I still almost beat the CPU at the end- he won on a last second field goal, 30-28. Yet my pass defense is STILL set as "All Madden".. just because *I* can play awesome coverage as a LB doesn't mean my AI can, though!

I also think the AI coverage is ass. It's like you shouldn't even bother calling zone or man because your guys will let receivers get wide open regardless.

The only thing I have been able to do is play middle linebacker and cut off the middle cause they will throw passes down the middle for completion all day. Of course, that means I can't blitz cause the AI doesn't cover the middle and I get burnt. Not only that but it's annoying to play coverage all the damn time because my AI doesn't know what the hell they are doing.

I swear, I'm about to just start simming defense and be offense. I'm tiring of it.

Guest Vitamin X

Playing defense is the funnest part of Madden, personally. So that's what makes it really frustrating in particular.

Yeah, I'm pretty tired of the Robo QBs myself. I'm already not very good on defense anyway, I don't need to be picked apart by some shit ass backup QB. I especially hate when I blitz a guy perfectly and almost nail him, but of course he throws off his back foot to some wide open guy at the last second. If I tried that shit, it's a spectacular leaping interception by a linebacker.

On the other hand, defending the run is sometimes almost comically easy. There are times I let the running back gain a few extra yards before tackling him so that his YPC goes from completely horrible to just pretty bad. The QB is picking up the first down 9 times out of 10 anyway, so why not?

Guest Vitamin X

The amount of dropped picks does annoy me, but then again, it would be too unrealistic if they were all caught as well. Even with multiple dropped "gimme" picks per game, I still wound up with way more INTs than any other team last year. Hell, McGee, McKelvin, and Greer were #1, 2, and 5 for defensive player of the year, all because of their picks.

Oh, and there's also a REALLY FUCKING TERRIBLE game freezing bug in Madden as well. I've had it happen to me about 4-5 times already, although thankfully it usually happens early in the game, like on the first drive or something. There's no solution other than to reboot the 360. It's the only game I ever have it happen to me on, too.

What is the glitch? The only one I've experienced is the 4th quarter field goal glitch online.

Guest Vitamin X

It's happened to me quite a few times, including the first day I got the game. It just freezes up somewhere at the beginning of the game, and then I have to go and restart the 360. Other people have been reporting this as well.

Guest Vitamin X

It just jams and sits there until I restart. I don't know how much clearer I can say it. The game and I suppose the system freeze up, and I have to restart. It only happens with Madden, never seen it on any other game so it has to be an issue with them, and from what I saw on the patch that's supposed to be coming out soon, it's been happening to other people as well.