TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

24/7 Shorties

I haven't been this excited since, well, I found out Pee-Wee Herman was straight.

Darth: I think anytime something from a PPV is shown on 24/7, it's off of a DVD. The Mania DVDs have several odd music edits that were never, ever edited off any future releases so that may be why.

Was Jimmy Snuka really the best opponent they could think of for Rick Rude? It would be like Jericho facing Charlie Haas at WrestleMania this year (legend storyline aside, of course). Also, you gotta love the Superfly no selling the Rude Awakening. I bet that went over well backstage.

They were repackaging Rude, Snuka had the name, they didn't want to put Rude over too strongly because most of the other babyfaces they had plans for, there you go.

So yes...

I haven't been this excited since, well, I found out Pee-Wee Herman was straight.

Darth: I think anytime something from a PPV is shown on 24/7, it's off of a DVD. The Mania DVDs have several odd music edits that were never, ever edited off any future releases so that may be why.

Thanks. I know a lot of TV on DVDs have edited music to cut down on cost but it's always frustrating when it comes to wrestling.

About Rude, I think this is the problem Warrior had when he became champion. By the time he had become champion, Hogan had destroyed the credibilty of most the major challengers. Dibiase, Savage, Hennig, etc. That left Rude, who Warrior had already feuded with the previous year and who was coming off beating a washed-up Jimmy Snuka at Wrestlemania. Rude was pulled out of the mid-card for that feud.

A good example of how Hogan ruined a lot of Warrior's opponets...during Survivor Series 90, it was annoucned that Warrior would defend his title against Ted Dibiase on NBC's The Main Event. So, you would think the company would have kept Dibiase strong at the Survivor Series. Nope! After being the sole survivor of his earlier match, he's pinned cleanly by Hogan during the final elimination main event. Meanwhile, Rick Martel (whose is a hot but mid-card feud with Jake Roberts) is allowed to keep his heat by intentionally getting himself counted out. With opponents like this, it's no wonder Warrior's title reign was a flop.

Watching Hogan and Warrior again...

-Forgot that moment where Hogan had Warrior in a front headlock and Monsoon said that move could be extremely painful, leading Ventura to say "Of course. Just ask Richard Belzer." That definitely couldn't have been Vince telling him to say that.

-Something I didn't notice as a kid but that Canadian crowd was louder for Hogan. I'd say it was 55/45 Hogan to Warrior.

Who is Big Sky? Did Vince have any interest?

A guy named Tyler Mane. He never worked for Vince. He was in WCW in 1989 as Woman's bodyguard for a short time, then disappeared to Puerto Rico and Japan before coming back in 1993 as Big Sky. His second run was just as short as the first one and he retired from wrestling in 1996 to pursue acting. His highest-profile role was Sabretooth in 2000's X-Men, a role that was originally meant for Kevin Nash but he couldn't take because of WCW conflicts.

He pretty much sucked as a wrestler.

Who is Big Sky? Did Vince have any interest?

A guy named Tyler Mane. He never worked for Vince. He was in WCW in 1989 as Woman's bodyguard for a short time, then disappeared to Puerto Rico and Japan before coming back in 1993 as Big Sky. His second run was just as short as the first one and he retired from wrestling in 1996 to pursue acting. His highest-profile role was Sabretooth in 2000's X-Men, a role that was originally meant for Kevin Nash but he couldn't take because of WCW conflicts.

He pretty much sucked as a wrestler.

He plays Michael Meyers in the Rob Zombie Halloween movies.