TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dandy

CTDWAT: TNA Edition

Would the Black Machismo gimmick annoy people less if Jay Lethal used it as just a nick name and wrestled like Macho Man, instead of acting like Macho Man?

That would make him look like he's not creative in the ring because he's stealing an old school wrestler's moveset.

Although he does actually use Macho's moves now with the punches and Flying Elbowdrop finisher anyway.

Would the Black Machismo gimmick annoy people less if Jay Lethal used it as just a nick name and wrestled like Macho Man, instead of acting like Macho Man?

I've been saying that for a while now. He can keep the nickname, but just slowly stop doing the voice and mannerisms of Savage and he'd still be over.

I'm still in the mind set that he's not annoying. I still like the gimmick. Sure it's wearing a little thin, but his music is awesome.

The Black Machismo gimmick isn't annoying. The impersonation is almost dead on. He just needs to incorporate "Yeah~! Uh-huh~!" more into his promos.

He would have to be out of the XDivision for a while. He'd be a believable guy to challenge for the belt since he's pulled big upsets before. But if the question is whether he'd be believable as champion it would take more than just dropping the impersonation. I think he would need to have a good long feud with someone (Christian perhaps? or Angle) that he wins before they could consider giving him a run.

The size thing is always going to be a hinder on him and all the other guys that size. I know it's nice to think that size doesn't matter...but honestly the first time you see Rey Misterio holding the World title it looked ridiculous. Styles has the same problem...and he's got a lot higher pedigree in the company than Lethal does which has lead to all of his title reigns being afterthoughts.

He's certainly got the talent to overcome that though.

The latest Observer has notes on Jeff Jarrett's return, which is currently being advertised for TNA"s UK tour. "The PC way" of describing Jarrett's return is that they didn't want to waste it to where it wouldn't have maximum value, when it's simply that Jarrett didn't want to be wrestling and either not be champion or not be in the mix for the belt. When Angle had the belt and wasn't losing it for a while, Jarrett didn't want to come back in be a victim-of-the-month since the plan was after Angle's long run for Joe to get a long run. By January, with Kurt being involved in the Karen storyline (which is planned to run and run), things look better for Jarrett in being able to return in the fashion in he wants to. Dave then speculates that Jarrett could make an unannounced return, not a match, at Bound For Glory, since TNA want BFG to be there Wrestlemania and want lots of major stuff coming out of it.

Is Russo still with TNA?

What, the "Bimbo Brawl" wasn't enough of a clue?

Meltzer:

-- The 6/5 TNA Impact drew the lowest rating of the year with a 0.86 rating and 1.1 million viewers, although it was going up again the opening game of the NBA finals. The show did a 0.52 in Males 18-34 and 0.74 in Males 35-49, A match between Velvet Sky and ODB drew a modest 13,000 extra viewers. What followed was the lowest rated quarter hour for TNA in over a year. Eric Young looking for Elvis, a taped Sting interview, and a Jay Lethal bachelor party segment lost 128,000 viewers and did a 0.70 quarter hour, the worst quarter hour rating in over a year. The X-Division King of the Mountain match featuring Kaz, Chris Sabin, Curry Man, Jimmy Rave, and Johnny Devine gained 64,000 viewers. The Awesome Kong vs. Daffney match gained an astounding 320,000 viewers, one of Impact's biggest rating growths of the year. An Abyss promo, Joe-Nash confrontation and another bachelor party segment gained 26,000 viewers. Kip James & James Storm & Lance Hoyt vs. LAX & Matt Morgan plus a Steiner & Williams promo and the Kurt & Karen face-off lost 154,000 viewers. The main event pitting Styles & Tomko gained 26,000 viewers and finished at 0.92.

SIGN DAFFNEY, GODDAMMIT.

I've been silently hoping for a JJ return, but I don't want him with the title. The only guys right now that have a realistic shot at being Champion, that I think I might enjoy is Booker T or AJ Styles. Nobody else on the roster really screams champion like them 2 right now. I kind of hate the way AJ and Booker are being booked, but they still make the storylines their in work. Booker is the #1 contender, yet Joe is more focused on Nash. AJ gets his ass kicked every week, while Kurt and Karen argue over some shit. What make this feud even more stupid is Angle can barely move and seems to break something every week. You'd think they'd just go with AJ/Tomko until Kurt is 100 percent, you can still have the feud without Kurt having to wrestle, just put him in Tomko's corner and put Karen in AJ's corner.

Is Russo still with TNA?

What, the "Bimbo Brawl" wasn't enough of a clue?

Meltzer:

-- The 6/5 TNA Impact drew the lowest rating of the year with a 0.86 rating and 1.1 million viewers, although it was going up again the opening game of the NBA finals. The show did a 0.52 in Males 18-34 and 0.74 in Males 35-49, A match between Velvet Sky and ODB drew a modest 13,000 extra viewers. What followed was the lowest rated quarter hour for TNA in over a year. Eric Young looking for Elvis, a taped Sting interview, and a Jay Lethal bachelor party segment lost 128,000 viewers and did a 0.70 quarter hour, the worst quarter hour rating in over a year. The X-Division King of the Mountain match featuring Kaz, Chris Sabin, Curry Man, Jimmy Rave, and Johnny Devine gained 64,000 viewers. The Awesome Kong vs. Daffney match gained an astounding 320,000 viewers, one of Impact's biggest rating growths of the year. An Abyss promo, Joe-Nash confrontation and another bachelor party segment gained 26,000 viewers. Kip James & James Storm & Lance Hoyt vs. LAX & Matt Morgan plus a Steiner & Williams promo and the Kurt & Karen face-off lost 154,000 viewers. The main event pitting Styles & Tomko gained 26,000 viewers and finished at 0.92.

SIGN DAFFNEY, GODDAMMIT.

I wonder what time the game started and what Impact was showing when halftime started.

I don't care if Jarrett does get the world title back. Watching him get a strong face reaction when he had his brief return last year was just mindbogglingly awesome. I thought he was a guy that people just wouldn't cheer...and even when they had Lockdown out of Orlando he was over. I think there is an interesting story in Jarrett and a quest to get back to the top as a face. I've always liked Jarrett.

Off topic of that...I want Booker T to win the title just because his character is TREMENDOUS right now as a heel. He's just ridiculously entertaining right now.

Ultimo Guerrero talked to the Mexican Press today about wanting to work a couple months full time in TNA. If this happens, I might have to go to a TNA show for the first time. I hope he squashes Christian Cage and Rhino all in two weeks.

I haven't watched TNA much at all this year, caught a few PPVs, think I'm stuck back in April still, what am I missing?

Joe getting punked out week after week then kicking arse on PPVs.

The world X cup = MCMG are winning again.

Kurt/Karen/Styles love triangle which also features Christian/Rhino/Team 3D/Beautiful People and Tomko.

A fued between Jay Lethal and Sonjay Dutt over So Cal Val.

Kong killing "fans".

I think that's about it.

They did start admitting it, in like the second or third week. They played it off like indy wrestlers wanted to get in on the fan challenge thing and were lining up to get a shot at Kong and a TNA contract. As usual, the women's division is bizarrely booked way better than the rest of the company.

They did start admitting it, in like the second or third week. They played it off like indy wrestlers wanted to get in on the fan challenge thing and were lining up to get a shot at Kong and a TNA contract. As usual, the women's division is bizarrely booked way better than the rest of the company.

I like that idea much better then the fan runs in and pins the champion storyline. I think that is one thing that TNA has done very well. They know that the internet is around and that fans will find out that said fan is really a wrestler, so why not just tell us right away. Plus it brings some sort of credibility to the storyline.

If TNA could find a way to make their male world champion as important as their female world champion AND promote both, my god they would be in business!

I know they have the ability to do it, the TNA World Title was actually interesting and exciting less than a year ago. The promotion thing, not so much. But making the belts mean something? They used to be really good at that.

TNA's men's division reminds me of an old Saturday Night Live skit, Celebrity Jeopardy. "Phil Donahue" rambles on and on instead of answering the question each time and finally Trebeck begs him "I know you know the answer, just say it!" The talent is there now, Mantel and Russo, anybody else helping, ought to know what to do with it by now especially since the women can be added at any time to fill up dead spots in the show. It seems like they're so close to breaking through but I've thought that before.

Has anybody read about serious discussion of a weekly Knockouts show on Spike. One hour on Wednesday night, Tuesday night after ECW, whenever, I'd watch. I don't hear any puppies chants on TNA and the heat is good to very good so the women and bookers appear to have gotten it over. There are only a couple of minor things I'd do different, I'd have built up Moose a little more before having her go over Roxxi and ODB in back to back weeks and yes I understand the ECW brawl is her match. I'd give all the wrestlers except Kong, ODB or anybody else with a similar title a last name, Gail Kim and Angelina Love sounds a lot more legit than Moose or Roxxi. Natalya instead of Nattie Neidhart, Mickie instead of Mickie James are annoying too.

And here I was hoping his wife's death would make him a changed man. So much for that nonsense.

This is one of the dumbest things I've read

Perhaps one of most bizzare random news items in a long time....from this week's Observer.....

"Lethal and Dutt have an idea of bringing in Iron Sheik, since they are big fans of Sheik, and using him as a rapper who would introduce Booker T."

Seriously, WTF?!! I'd have to see such madness first before I would completely dismiss it as the most off the wall idea I've heard a company considering doing, or being suggested to do by other workers.

Perhaps one of most bizzare random news items in a long time....from this week's Observer.....

"Lethal and Dutt have an idea of bringing in Iron Sheik, since they are big fans of Sheik, and using him as a rapper who would introduce Booker T."

Seriously, WTF?!! I'd have to see such madness first before I would completely dismiss it as the most off the wall idea I've heard a company considering doing, or being suggested to do by other workers.

I'd have to watch too. Maybe that's a rib to whoever reported it.