TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dandy

CTDWAT: TNA Edition

Wow, that has to be the most retarded reason to bury someone. I can see if TNA was just a little angry and they jobbed them to the Dudleys, and their push kept going, but to bury them for months? That's insane.

Actually it's not. The Guns refused to bleed. They didn't have the blade, they could have went up to the Dudleys and say "Hey could you bust us open hardway? They want us to bleed." but the Guns didn't. Instead they didn't want to put over the Dudleys in the hardcore match by bleeding even though the Dudleys were gonna put over the Guns in the feud the two teams were having.

That was just a bad move on the Guns part. It really was.

But the flip side is, haven't they been punished enough now? I mean for their first error in judgment, they have been paying forever. It SEEMS like TNA is finally starting to lift that punishment a little and I hope so. Now if they do it again, I just don't know what will happen but I'm guessing the TNA roster page would be two people lighter.

I think it really depends on the match and the level of violence needed. I've harped on WWE of late for not having enough bladejobs in vicious brawls like Edge/UT HIAC or various HBK/Jericho matches. Those matches in my view required blood due to the hatred of the participants. But a Machine Guns vs. Dudleys match? Who would care if there was blood in that or not? I can see why guys would refuse to disfigure themselves over a match that no one would remember tomorrow.

In fairness it was the blowoff to a months long feud that was MCMG's big break in TNA and which the Dudleyz had made them look pretty good. At the time we all figured it was the move that rose them up the card and to the tag titles before the bleeding thing derailed that.

I think whether the Guns refusing was grounds for punishment comes down to reasonable expectations. Should the Guns have presumed they would bleed at some point? Should TNA have presumed that the Guns would bleed in their win to make the Dudleyz look good? Were the Guns wrong to steadfastly refuse? All that probably depends on internal stuff so who knows? I know bleeding a hardcore blowoff match with the Dudleyz doesn't strike me as an unreasonable request. I wouldn't want to cut myself open or let someone else do it but then again I wouldn't want to jump off a ladder either or go through a table either.

I'm also of the opinion that the Guns left the doghouse awhile ago (since they're domination of the X Cup) and have just been treading water since. I don't think TNA is "punishing" them anymore. I just don't think they have them in their current stories so they're stuck wrestling matches with guys who have something cooking and putting them over. The one match in recent memory that just seemed out of left field was losing to BG James and Eric Young but that seemed to be what started this losing streak and the frustration that is building to a heel turn. My guess is TNA has plans for them post-BFG as part of this big story but until then they're just cooling their heels and TNA figures they might as well put others over and slow play this heel turn.

The Guns-Dudleys feud featured a candy shop as a key venue and revolved around fat jokes. It did not in any way warrant a blade job from anyone involved - especially the guys who were opposed to gigging.

Except they used a hardcore match to end the feud. Blood could have been used.

Sure, it could've, but it wasn't a blood-worthy feud. It was four guys cracking jokes for months, with the occasional "serious" act thrown in - like 3D attacking Shark Boy. Having blood in this feud would really just be having blood in a match for the sake of having it since it was so silly. Plus, 3D's done so much bleeding in TNA that this feud actually stood out more because they didn't.

Sure, if they'd gigged, it could've led to the Guns being taken as a serious act (like the Midnight Rockers after the Showboat bloodbath with Rose and Somers), and they seemingly wouldn't have been buried for months, but there's no guarantee of that - TNA's been known to be hot and cold about pushes anyway, and Shelley and Sabin remained over even with the burial attempt. In a few months from now, the Guns could easily be back in the tag title mix, and be in it without having to worry about their faces being willingly disfigured.

If I remember right, the main reason they didn't want to bleed is because whatever PPV the match was on already had another hardcore match and a first blood match or something. It would have meant nothing for them to bleed.

If I remember right, the main reason they didn't want to bleed is because whatever PPV the match was on already had another hardcore match and a first blood match or something. It would have meant nothing for them to bleed.

Even though we are in the day and age when a bladejob doesnt draw as much sympathy towards the babyfaces as it was once was (that Midnight Rockers example is a perfect one of how it worked wonders back in the day), I think given how that match was laid out, it would have totally made sense for both of them to be a bloody mess in that match (was it Slamiversary? Can't even remember) in order for them to really "earn" that win, in a kayfabe sense.

Like some have already said, given the fact the idea out of all of that was to actually put them over strong against the Duds, I think it was something that shouldn't have even been fought by either of them. They were getting pushed and were penciled to get the win convincingly (which was slightly changed more to elevate Lethal with the victory because of the bleeding refusal).....bottom line is they shouldn't have rocked the boat there.

There was a barb wire match between Abyss and Judas Mesias booked for that show but it was lower on the, pre taped, and (if I remember correctly) kinda tame and forgettable. I also think it was Judas' last match in TNA after his injury had stalled the angle and he then returned to a dead feud that had lost all interest. If I remember correctly there was so little interest and heat on that match that he was basically gone from TNA before it even aired.

I just went back and read some of the notes and posts from that time on this board and I don't see anything about the Guns objecting because of that match. Just them objecting and some theorizing that Shelley had vowed never to blade and that they were both students of D'Amore who doesn't like to blade. But I have no idea if any of that is true and certainly something could have been said.

That being said I think the case remains the same as it did that day. Since we have no idea how TNA or the Guns handled any of this it doesn't seem terribly reasonable to judge the decision. You can easily interpret it as TNA making a very common request of the Guns that seemed logical from the feud and then passing, or the Guns making a very reasonable denial of something TNA just expected them to do without ever talking about it.

Its all a matter of opinion but the classification of that feud as a forgettable joke now just seems like hindsight to me. While the feud dragged a bit longer than I thought it should (as many TNA feuds do) and there was a very questionable sidetrack with Devine winning the X Title that was a feud I largely enjoyed and definitely remember getting a lot of positive talk about. After a long time of being boring that was the first time I really remember enjoying the Dudleyz in TNA with them getting some of their heel ability going. MCMG were hot and were booked very strong against the Dudleyz and most figured they were headed for the tag belts after. The feud was largely built on the Dudleyz waging brutal assaults on the Guns, Lethal, and other X wrestlers. The whole thing was basically the first heel run for Team 3D in TNA and turned them around in my eyes, while also raising Lethal and the Guns up.

Of course that all amounted to nothing when the Guns went into the doghouse and Lethal lost all momentum with the horrible Val/Dutt story. But at the time I definitely had very little complaint about that feud and... I don't know. It just seems like its become an instinct to look back on any past TNA story and just say "Yeah, horrible booked, every looked bad, no one cared" whether its true or not. And this feud is probably easy to do that with since the Guns ended up doing nothing for the 8 months that followed. But classifying the feud as a bunch of jokes and an occasional attack on Sharkboy doesn't seem to fit with my memory of the Guns going through a bunch of tables, Team 3D trying to break their hands before the Ultimate X match, Devine looking like he might be dead a number of times, and one really cool segment where the Guns and other X guys put the Dudleyz through tables (at least I remember them coming out with the tables... I THINK they put the Dudleyz through them).

Actually I've been trying to remember what the "candy shop" that was a key venue was and I have remembered it as AFTER the MCMG feud. MGFanJay's comments sound as if he's confusing the Curry Man/Shark Boy feud that followed with the MCMG feud that caused them to have to "make weight" and led to months of a feud that was almost entirely joke.

Yup...that would appear to be the case - I confused one feud for the other, although the 3D-Guns one still had the burial of the X division and the Guns cutting fat jokes hurting whatever drama could be built up. I still don't think that the Guns should've bladed against their will (or bled against their will in the case of having a 3D member do it - which would likely not end well, especially if Ray did the cutting) - if they don't want to slice themselves up, they shouldn't have to.

The Guns seemingly knew it was just a mid-card feud, and since this feud just setup a joke-heavy 3D-Shark Boy/Curry Man feud, what would it have really accomplished? They would've gotten sliced up by guys who faced another team (a complete comedy act) in a fish market street fight a month later.

One problem with 3D in TNA is that their comedy acts one month and then a serious one the next - while it's nice to have talents that can work as both, it limits how seriously fans can take them (or Angle, who also suffers from this problem in TNA and did so in WWE as well).

The feud wasn't intended to set up a comedy feud for the Dudleyz, though. That may have been the direction they were headed but the Guns and Lethal were clearly being put over (against a higher caliber of opponent than they had ever faced in TNA) with the feud. If the Guns felt that they were just going no where after the feud so it was pointless, so be it. But the on screen booking seemed to suggest otherwise as did the rumors on the web. By all accounts the Guns WERE getting a push that was stalled thanks to their decision to refuse TNA's request. And really, even though Lethal's TNA career didn't do so well after that TNA did seem to WANT to do something good with him with the Dutt/Val stuff. It just wasn't any good. So the feud wasn't meant to make Team 3D strong, they already were. The blood was merely to add to the match, the Guns' performance, and to make the battle look larger to maybe save some face for the Dudleyz in taking the loss.

The Guns did cut fat jokes on the Dudleyz but I really don't see how that ruins the drama of a feud. Every one from HHH to Jericho to Edge to Cena mocks their opponents during their feuds. Comedy happens to be a strength of Shelley and was the reason he started getting over in TNA in the first place with the Paparazzi stuff. So I actually thought that them letting the Guns cut promos on Team 3D was a good thing. I certainly understand your point about the full blown comedy that guys like 3D and Angle sometimes get into but this wasn't that. It was just the mocking that so routinely takes place in wrestling to make the heels look like fools. Most of that feud was built on the Dudleyz attacks on X wrestlers, the Guns finding ways to get revenge, and the variety of matches they competed in.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Guns SHOULD have bladed. If they don't want to, they don't want to. I certainly wouldn't (but again, I wouldn't want to do most of what they do) and I certainly wouldn't suggest a wrestler doesn't have the right to refuse. And I have no idea if TNA had made a fair or reasonable case or if they had a right to assume the Guns would do it. But I think the request was 100% reasonable. Blood happens in the midcard and these were midcarders. The feud was built on violence even if there were elements of comedy mixed in (unlike the feud that followed for the Dudleyz that was built on comedy even if there were elements of violence mixed in). And when booked in Street Fight with a legendary hardcore team to blow off a 4 month feud blood seems perfectly reasonable to me.

It was the Guns right to refuse and right or not it was TNA's right to stop pushing them when they proved "uncooperative." But I personally have no doubt that if they had bled they would have saw an increased push and a tag title program in the last 8 months (especially since the division was up in the air for the next few months before LAX took the gold back and then Beer Money formed).

All the arguing I think is missing one key point: it has nothing to do with blading or whether it would've been a good decision or not. TNA told its employees (well, "independent contractors") to do something, and the employees refused. Thus, being a company run mostly by wrestlers, and wrestlers tending to be petty vengeful immature human beings, it disproportionately punished the Guns for their "disobediance". That's just how it is in wrestling: if you don't have major backstage political clout, you do what you're told Or Else. A very similar thing happened a few years back when the Naturals refused to get their hair cut short, if you remember that. The specifics of what they refused weren't important, it's the fact that they aren't "team players" who obey every word the promoter speaks.

Bingo.

Now. I don't wanna get into a whole dissertation here on Team 3D/MCMG, because I don't have five paragraphs to dedicate to the subject, so I'll keep it short. What the fuck do the Dudleys deserve anymore? They're 20 time tag champions over three promotions and ten years time. In these three promotions and ten years, they have done absolutely nothing to freshen up their act, which was stale what, five, six years ago? Don't get me wrong, I was a Dudley fan pre-2002. It's 2008, gang. If you think Team 3D means anything to the future of TNA, let alone means more than the Guns, then you probably pine for the days of a Kevin Nash booked WCW.

Bottom line: It is their time to be putting people over. If they wanted blading in that match that would have meant something, then they should have given them to Brothers Ray and Devon and pointless lackey Johnny Devine.

Hey, why the hell is Devine carrying around a singapore cane AND Shelley's Paparazzi cam? I realize he was shoehorned into that angle near the end, but it doesn't mean anything anymore other than "He hit him with that signature ________, DW! To the back with JB!"

Team 3D DID put people over in that feud. They lost clean to the Guns multiple times and were going to lose the blowoff match. The point was that the Guns were being put over so the blood was just to hammer home the brutality of the match, hopefully adding some extra gravitas to the match and maybe saving a little face for the Dudleyz (who as it turns out were about to spend a couple of months being mocked for their weight and hitting a pair of clowns with fish).

I certainly understand why people think that the Guns had a right not to blade, that TNA overreacted to the whole thing, or even how the blood was unnecessary in general. But the feud was done to pretty clearly put the Guns over and raise them up the ladder so I don't get why that's still a matter of contention. And while its purely opinion right up until the end of the match where the Guns disappeared I thought the feud was doing a very good job.

I guess it's pretty stupid from both sides, considering that it is wrestling. I still say, if you want blood to mean something like that, you probably shouldn't book multiple bloodbaths in one night. Then again, this is the company that has not one but TWO special enforcers in two different matches on one show.

I can see it from both sides. On one hand, blading really is a relatively minor thing in the big picture; god knows why the Guns are apparently just fine with risking life and limb doing high-flying bumps onto concrete, but are apparently all outraged and terrified of poking themselves with a glorified pinprick. On the other, TNA as usual displays all the booking skills of an senile manatee by demanding that these guys bleed in a "street fight" taking place after a no-rope barbed wire match. That's pretty much the definition of "we can't follow that!" right there.

Glenn Gilberti via Wrestlezone Forums

whoever has the answer to the question, "Where does wrestling go next?" holds the golden ticket. it's just my not so humble opinion that my generation knew how to interact with the target demographic better than the guys today. When I wrestled we were visible in the clubs and lived rock star lifestyles. I hate to say it, but most of the guys today are nerds, in a sense. Nerds aren't tv stars. Today's wrestlers go back to their rooms and play video games. I think it's a talent issue more than anything.

you're missing the point. our generation of wrestlers drank beer, hit every strip joint in the country, and got vip treatment at all of the best clubs. today's wrestlers read comic books and play video games.

you're missing the point, too. chicks dig stars. chicks dug us. these guys today don't even go out looking for them. i mean, jesus. tna had a house show in SOUTH BEACH AND NOBODY WENT OUT AFTER THE SHOW!! ARE YOU FRIGGIN' KIDDING ME?? NO ONE WANTED TO SEE WHAT THE GIRLS LOOKED LIKE IN ONE OF THE HOTTEST CITIES IN THE WORLD??? don't blame creative for not making stars, because you have to know how to act like one first and foremost. even Shia Lebouf gets alot of ass, and look at him. the wrestlers in the monday night wars promoted themselves. we were seen. we got over by tv exposure in the ring and word of the mouth out of the ring. you just don't see that anymore these days. that's the reality of this business. having 4 star matches is completely irrelevant in the big picture of becoming a tv star.

first of all, nobody i hung with did coke. but to put things in perpective, me, kidman, and jericho were on the dating game, i was on vh1 3 different times, the travel channel, etc... you can't cross-promote the guys today. they're just not that entertaining. for crying out loud, just watch spin cycle! a show where you can be funny and act however you want to. there's a reason why wresting is not cool. kids that played video games, read comic books, and played on the computer, all of a sudden started watching a bunch of little guys wrestle on the internet and japanese wrestling tapes and figured , "Hey! I can do that!" And that's what you're looking at on tv these days. most of the guys don't even like sports! I'll never forget when we were in nashville, and amazing red has his earphones on listening to a cd before his match. i grab it to hear what he was listening to. guess what it was. if you guessed japanese ring entrance music then congratulations. The best part of this new vs. young angle is when the vets start getting stiff on the mic against these younger guys. could be some really funny promos.

everyone is completely missing the point. today's wrestlers act like kids. they play games. i'm not talking about partying like rock stars. i mean let's be honest. take the mid card from wcw or wwe in 1999. let's line them up against the midcard of tna and wwe today and say, "fight. for real." in the typical fans eyes, who do you think would win? it's not even close. it'd look like men versus boys. that's the point i'm trying to make about the business today

That's not too bad. I got used to the two entrances, but I wasn't a big fan of it. I did like that LAX came out in their own entrance.

source: Lords of Pain via Wrestling Observer Newsletter

TNA star Booker T has plans to picket a Houston sports bar called Vito’s Deck House because he believes they discriminated against the Christian faith.

On Sunday afternoon, Booker T and Marty Wright (a.k.a. WWE star "The Boogeyman") went to the sports bar to watch an NFL game. Wright, who was wearing the cross, was asked to take it off by the bartender, or leave. According to the bartender, it was a violation of the bar's dress code.

Booker got upset and asked to speak to the manager. The manager explained that it was a violation of the dress code. Booker asked where the dress code was posted at, and as it turns out, it wasn't posted anywhere. Booker refused to leave and told Wright not to leave.

Police were called and police officers told Booker and Wright to leave the premises. Booker said he saw two other patrons at the bar wearing crosses and they were not approached by management and told to leave. Although, the two patrons left the sports bar when they saw Booker and Wright being kicked out over Wright wearing the cross.

Booker has a protest scheduled and he hopes it gets as much publicity as possible to inform people about the sports bar suppressing people's freedom to express their belief in God.

Interview with Sting by The Sun I found on gerweck.

Sting: Give me some respect

HE’S the current TNA world heavyweight champion, an icon of the wrestling business and simply one of the greatest grapplers of all time.

Yet Sting feels he is not shown enough respect – both by the young guns of his current group and the business as a whole.

Below, in another world exclusive SunSport interview, the Stinger talks about his true feelings behind TNA’s current old school v new school feud, why he’s never gone to the WWE despite many attempts by Vince McMahon to hire him and how he definitely plans to retire by the end of 2009.

You are currently the leader of TNA’s faction of veterans against newer stars like Samoa Joe and AJ Styles. How much of the storyline is based on real animosity between the two sets of stars?

A huge part of it. When I came back to wrestling, after WCW folded, I did have a choice. There was WWE and there was TNA.

I would have probably gone into the WWE if it was about money. I came here very humble, believe me.

But I wasn’t welcomed with big, wide open arms from everybody.

I didn’t know it was going to be that way, but it was. It would surprise you if I named some of the guys that didn’t receive me that well. You’d never guess.

There are a lot of the young guys that want us ‘dinosaurs’ to move out of the way, once and for all.

And you know what? I can sympathise in some ways. I can.

When I was a young Sting, back in the day when it was Ric Flair, Macho Man Randy Savage, Hulk Hogan, Dusty Rhodes, The Four Horsemen and all those guys, I had those moments of frustration. But I still always respected what they did.

So yes, there’s a lot of realism in this story.

So do you feel there is a lack of respect sometimes towards veterans in the wrestling business as a whole?

That was starting to happen back towards the end of the WCW days when wrestling exploded and became so mainstream.

There’s a mentality out there, guys that just believe that it’s a matter of coming up with some weird personality to grab attention and then they can be a pro wrestler. But there’s a lot more to it than that.

A lot of them came in expecting the big contract. It was like: “I have arrived and I want to sign on the dotted line for the big bucks. I want to fly on the jets and have the limos come pick me up and I want people to ask me for my autograph.”

Those are the guys right there that I think just don’t have the respect.

When I started we drove all over the place. It was 300+ days a year, sometimes you were wrestling in front of a few hundred people for a $50 payoff.

For a TV taping I got $25 when I first started. When you are working that much and working in front of small crowds you’re learning the craft. And one thing you are learning is respect for who went before you.

You mentioned the old days of WCW, and there is an interesting parallel with what we are talking about here at the moment. They had the New Blood v Millionaire’s Club angle which was met with a lot of criticism. Do you think this is a fresh take on it and will it work?

That’s a really good question. I’ve never heard it asked quite like that, it makes me even think. I don’t know. Only time will tell.

I do believe it’s different. We do have the past, whether or not you are the younger generation or you are my generation - old school, new school, whatever – you’re still going to look and remember what happened with WCW.

Even me. I’m not pointing the fingers. I was part of it. I was in with the whole bunch of us, and what happened, happened. Nobody wants that to be repeated.

You are famous for being probably the one top wrestling star of the last 25 years never to have worked for the WWE. Did Vince McMahon ever try to sign you?

Yes, I was really close at least three, four times over the years.

A few times in the early 1990s, when I chose TNA and once at a real key moment when WCW had overtaken WWE as the No1 group in wrestling. And I was pretty much at the peak of WCW, in their peak days.

I forget how many weeks in a row WCW beat them in the ratings wars but it got really bad for WWE - WWF at the time. That was a key moment, and I was really close to jumping.

What stopped you going to the WWE?

There was always something in me that thought that Vince McMahon wanted me more to undermine WCW than he wanted me as a talent. I just always believed that.

I saw a lot of guys from WCW that went to WWE and that happened. Anyone who made it to a higher level within WCW and then tried to jump over – it just didn’t work.

The other thing was that WCW ended up giving me what I wanted in my contract.

We truly believe that Sting is up there with Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair and Steve Austin as one of the greatest of all time. However you rarely feature highly in polls and Halls Of Fame. Do you think not working for WWE has harmed your legacy in the wrestling business?

I’m not going to try and cover it up – there’s no question that is the case.

WWE are a worldwide, huge, massive machine and always have been.

The guys that have had any kind of run up there are now recognised all over the world.

If there was something missing in my career, that would be it.

What do you think is the one step TNA needs to take where you can get to the level to go head-on with WWE?

The only thing I can do is look back on track record and what I have seen work in the past. And what I have seen work in the past was names.

When Lex Luger jumped ship he was set to be on WWE Raw, but there he was on WCW Nitro. That created such a buzz. Then soon after that Scott Hall and Kevin Nash joined WCW and this momentum just built and built and built.

With Kurt Angle, and now Mick Foley, I believe there are going to be more people watching TNA.

The other thing I’m hoping for is a bigger commitment from our channel Spike TV and seeing them even further step up to the plate.

I hope I don’t get in trouble for saying that – this might be the last you see of me on TV!

After the big Ric Flair retirement this year, people were saying that Sting would be the next to hang up his boots. Is that something you are thinking about?

Yes, because I cannot go on much longer. I don’t want to embarrass myself, or embarrass Spike or embarrass TNA.

We all know it’s a wave that is coming in to shore. I don’t know when exactly it will hit, but it’s gonna hit.

I thought probably this year. Actually it’s over the last couple of years it seems the thought has been in-and-out, in-and-out, in-and-out these thoughts of retirement and everything else but under the circumstances I think that I want to stick it out for one last – and this is THE last – hurrah.

I don’t know when it will end for sure, but as long as I stay healthy into 2009. But how far into 2009 I don’t know.

What do you want to achieve in that time for both you and TNA?

I want to protect wrestling and TNA so we don’t se another WCW story. I want to start laying the foundations now with some of the younger guys.

Despite everything, the Samoa Joes, the AJ Styles, they are the future. I’m not, they are.

And I honestly do want some of the younger guys to remember and look back and reflect and say: “You know, he really wasn’t out for himself.”

Is there anyone, in TNA or the rest of the world, who you look at and think: “Before I retire, I really want a match with that guy”?

In TNA, I’d love to have a match or two with AJ. I’ve just had my first one with Joe. I think another one with Jeff Jarrett would be good.

Outside of TNA, I’ve always thought Undertaker v Sting would be really something.

And we just did this huge autograph session and I had so many wrestling fans come and say: “How about one more match with Ric Flair?”

I think I could be 80-years-old and they’d still be saying that.

Is Tomko still with TNA? I haven't seen him around since Joe beat him in that gauntlet match on Impact several weeks ago.

IT'S STILL REAL TO ME, DAMMIT

Whoa. How did I miss this. I mean, it's one thing to enjoy a life of drug use and promiscuous sex, but it's another to insist that's what everyone else should be doing for the sake of the business.

nobody i hung with did coke.

Blatant bullshit. He's best friends with Raven, for fuck's sake. RAVEN! One of the most openly admitted drug addicts in this entire industry! The rest of this pile of stupidity is just questionable opinions, but don't claim that you never knew anyone on coke when you worked for WCW for a goddamn decade.

Too bad for Pat Kenney.

According to PWI:

HUGE BACKSTAGE ACQUISITION FOR TNA

by Mike Johnson @ 2:19 PM on 11/3/2008

TNA has hired William Goertel, who oversaw World Wrestling Entertainment's graphics department for about a decade, this week. Goertel left WWE about seven months ago. His hiring is considered a huge backstage boost within TNA among management.

Definitely a good thing for the company. One of my long-standing complaints about TNA is that their production is terribly inferior when matched against WWE. This is a step in the right direction.

Speaking of Disco Dumbass, the major news sites are reporting that he and Pat Kenney have been released for 'budgetary reasons'.

Don West should have been released.