TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

2008 Stanley Cup playoffs - first round

I liked Avery's little stunt on Brodeur tonight, even if it was extremely unsportsmanlike. I can see them calling that a penalty now though. And holy shit what happened to the Flames?

Make that 3.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I made my last post on the previous page. I'm glad to see the Sharks getting some scoring in pretty quickly here.

Hopefully they can get at least 1 or 2 more past Kipprusoff before the end of the period.

I didn't watch Game 1, but Montreal isn't showing me much of anything in this series so far. Boston seems to be able to attack their zone fairly often and they have done absolulely nothing with their power play (which they lead the league in this year, I understand).

Make that 3.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I made my last post on the previous page. I'm glad to see the Sharks getting some scoring in pretty quickly here.

Hopefully they can get at least 1 or 2 more past Kipprusoff before the end of the period.

Hopefully they can play a full 60, I fully expect the Flames to turn up the pressure at one point.

I didn't watch Game 1, but Montreal isn't showing me much of anything in this series so far. Boston seems to be able to attack their zone fairly often and they have done absolulely nothing with their power play (which they lead the league in this year, I understand).

Boston should be ahead 2-1. I don't like having to cheer for the Bruins, but I guess it's better than the alternative.

I only saw the second period, but they didn't look good defensively at all - I can recall three times where there was a Bruin(s) in front of the net alone. The PP has been disappointing (it was indeed the league's best), but penalty killing has been surprisingly good across the board so far.

San Jose, as just shown on HNIC, has a toilet seat hung in their dressing room, with someone's picture underneath it. They won't say who. Ron Wilson thinks it's him, and that he'll be flushed if the Sharks don't get through this series. I wonder if we'll see a Rachel Phelps cut-out in Round 2.

Oh yeah, Marc Savard is no longer my boy for the next 2-7 days.

I have to wonder if Keenan will put Kiprusoff back in if the score at least stays the same. I think they've only got one shot on CuJo so far, so it's not like he's the reason they're playing better.

This is probably the last game Boston will win out of the series.

Montreal really should have put the Bruins out of their misery tonight. Now they have confidence, Kovalev is frustrated and the Bruins are starting to figure things out.

Oh, by the way:

2004: (2) Boston v. (7) Montreal

Game 1: Montreal @ Boston - Boston 3-0

Game 2: Montreal @ Boston - Boston 2-1 OT

Game 3: Boston @ Montreal - Montreal 3-2

Game 4: Boston @ Montreal - Boston 4-3 2OT

Game 5: Montreal @ Boston - Montreal 5-1

Game 6: Boston @ Montreal - Montreal 5-2

Game 7: Montreal @ Boston - Montreal 2-0

2007: (1) Montreal v. (8) Boston

Game 1: Boston @ Montreal - Montreal 4-1

Game 2: Boston @ Montreal - Montreal 2-1 OT

Game 3: Montreal @ Boston - Boston 2-1 OT

A pattern is starting...

Montreal really should have put the Bruins out of their misery tonight. Now they have confidence, Kovalev is frustrated and the Bruins are starting to figure things out.

Oh, by the way:

2004: (2) Boston v. (7) Montreal

Game 1: Montreal @ Boston - Boston 3-0

Game 2: Montreal @ Boston - Boston 2-1 OT

Game 3: Boston @ Montreal - Montreal 3-2

Game 4: Boston @ Montreal - Boston 4-3 2OT

Game 5: Montreal @ Boston - Montreal 5-1

Game 6: Boston @ Montreal - Montreal 5-2

Game 7: Montreal @ Boston - Montreal 2-0

2007: (1) Montreal v. (8) Boston

Game 1: Boston @ Montreal - Montreal 4-1

Game 2: Boston @ Montreal - Montreal 2-1 OT

Game 3: Montreal @ Boston - Boston 2-1 OT

A pattern is starting...

Well Tom Kostopolous is the Habs leading scorer in the playoffs so far. :huh:

If the Sharks and Anaheim get knocked out in the first round, the cup is coming back to the Eastern Conference/

You're kidding, right? If they both get knocked off, I'm pretty confident that the Red Wings could face any team in the East and be the favorite going in. There isn't a team that is better coached, deeper, or has more experience in the playoffs.

I'm not counting the Sharks out yet, though I did bet against them in my predictions. The Ducks are in a whole different boat, but the Sharks still have decent chance right now.

Legace on Avery tonight: "He looked like he was conducting a marching band." :D

Bettman already said that they are going to be talking to the officials about that, so don't plan on seeing this any more

So, Montreal dominates game one, is borderline overmatched in game two (but get, arguably, lucky with a win), and then completely overmatched in game three, and yet you'll say it's the last game that the Habs will lose? I'm not so confident that I think the Bruins will win the series, but I am willing to stick my neck out and say that another win or two is likely.

And - having said that - I wouldn't be stunned to see Boston win the series. The Bruins are trending up right now ... the Habs are not.

And a question for those of you from north-of-the-border ... it seems, to my biased eyes, that the Habs are diving to an extreme degree in this series, especially in game 2. The smallest tap has them flying to the ice as if they were shot. Is this getting any attention up there, or is it me being a biased Boston-fan and thus it's not really that bad?

I haven't heard anything yet, but I'm sure Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun or Damien Cox of the Toronto Star has mentioned it.

But at least we don't have Mike Riberio act anymore.

I haven't heard anything yet, but I'm sure Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun or Damien Cox of the Toronto Star has mentioned it.

As shitty his act in Game 3 was four years ago, he scored 35 this year. It wasn't a bad deal when it happened, but Dallas made out like bandits, regardless of how we feel about him.

As shitty his act in Game 3 was four years ago, he scored 35 this year. It wasn't a bad deal when it happened, but Dallas made out like bandits, regardless of how we feel about him.

I think he only scored 27 or so this season.

And got a big ol' $5m/season contract for his efforts.

I think the only one that made out like a bandit is Mikey Ribs. 5 years at $5m for a guy that only averaged about 15 goals a year before this one year? If he turns out to be a one-year wonder, Dallas will rue to the day that it made out like a bandit, IMHO.

Legace on Avery tonight: "He looked like he was conducting a marching band." :D

Bettman already said that they are going to be talking to the officials about that, so don't plan on seeing this any more

The rule's already been changed. It's now an unsportsmanlike minor.

Is it just me, or is TSN picking up the US feed more than usual this year. I know they usually do when the game is on NBC, but it seems like we've been seeing a lot more VS this season. I think I've only seen Cuthbert and Healy do 2 games so far.

Is it just me, or is TSN picking up the US feed more than usual this year. I know they usually do when the game is on NBC, but it seems like we've been seeing a lot more VS this season. I think I've only seen Cuthbert and Healy do 2 games so far.

I noticed that too, and it's distressing - Cuthbert is one of my favourites ever.

Who does the NBC games with McGuire? I've heard him a few times so far and don't recognise him.