TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Corey_Lazarus

What is the best match in TNA history?

Yeah, I realize that this could be just a fluff topic, and if so, I have no problems with it being closed or merged with the "Random Thoughts" thread, but I think we can actually get a solid discussion going here.

TNA has had a few really, really good matches in its nearly 6 years of being in business. From the amazing Lynn/Styles/Ki series to the XXX/AMW feud to the first showdown between Raven and Jeff Jarrett, all the way to the Joe/Styles/Daniels feud and the Angle/Joe series in late '06/early '07, and of course the Christian/Rhino matches. But what is, in your opinion, the BEST match in TNA history? What match has TNA produced that made you point at it and go "THIS is why I watch TNA"? It can either be the blowoff to a long feud or just a fantastic spotfest, a great brawl or a technical showcase. The only thing that matters is that you believe it to be the BEST that TNA has to offer. Below are some questions to guide you, but I know most replies will be just answering those questions.

1. What is, in your opinion, the best match that TNA has produced thus far?

2. What makes it better than everything else you've seen from TNA?

3. How does it stack up against other great matches you've seen from different companies?

4. Does any grouping of workers (not including those in said match) under TNA contract now make you think that another match of this calibre could be produced anytime soon?

5. How would you rate this match on the IWC star scale? The PCN 1-10 factor?

Maybe I should reply to this myself, eh?

Samoa Joe vs. AJ Styles for the X-Division title, TNA Turning Point '05.

A sense of real, true drama. The fans were entirely torn between the two competitors, as AJ Styles has been the face of TNA since its inception, the number one reason TNA fans watched, and Samoa Joe had been on a role since debuting a few months prior, especially after the Unbreakable Triple Threat match two months earlier stole the show and set a new standard. This match is just beautiful. Joe's brutal treatment of Styles makes Joe seem like a true monster, and Styles consistently getting back to his feet following every attack of Joe's put him over (even more than his three years prior with TNA) as somebody who will not just lie down when he's in a fight, especially for the title HE made worth something (the X-Division title). The end sequence was perfect, as Styles had been coming back and reversed (IIRC) a Muscle Buster attempt into a roll-up, but Joe then pulled Styles down into the Coquina Clutch. AJ, refusing to let Joe decisively beat him again, would not tap out, nor would he yell "I quit," and passed out in the hold, allowing Joe to win but without the satisfaction of knowing that he pushed Styles beyond his limit.

3. How does it stack up against other great matches you've seen from different companies?

It's not as great as the best match I've ever seen from RoH (Danielson/McGuinness from Driven), nor is it as emotionally satisfying as Ric Flair's retirement match this past WrestleMania or Benoit's win at WM20, but it is solid enough to justify it stacking up against the bulk of the WWF/WWE's "greatest" matches. There is emotion, there is solid wrestling, and Styles sells his ass off to make Joe look like more of an unstoppable monster than he has ever since the 3-way feud between Joe, Styles, and Daniels ended.

4. Does any grouping of workers (not including those in said match) under TNA contract now make you think that another match of this calibre could be produced anytime soon?

Honestly? No. The closest grouping I could think of would be Kurt Angle and Samoa Joe, but like the question states these matches are thrown out due to Joe's involvement. The best chance at having a better match than this in TNA anytime soon would be to have a rematch with AJ ditching his chickenshit heel schtick (however great he may be at it) and going back to being the standard-bearer of the X-Division.

On the star scale, I'd give it a solid ****1/4. The work was solid throughout, phenomenal at times, but a few minor slip-up's and pacing issues keep it from being a perfect 5. On the PCN scale, I would say I enjoy it about 9.25/10, as it's quite a thrilling match, and Styles continuing to get back to his feet and fight back despite being entirely outmatched by Joe adds an element of surprise and intrigue, especially since Styles was not one to lose on a regular basis.

I will expand my answer to hit the points you mentioned when I get home later from work, but my favorite match in TNA history is Sting vs Angle BFG.

Sting vs Angle BFG 07.

I've seen some great matches in TNA mainly featuring Joe, Styles, and some of the other X-Division crew. However, this match just had something special to it. I think both guys tried to really push each other during it. Sting always does things he doesn't need to such as the dives to the floor, but taking that 450 Knee Drop and being able to continue after being smashed in the face with a bat on accident without flinching kind of added to it. I know both were "botches" or accidents btw. When Sting resigned I had two hopes for the run. That his matches all atleast be decent and that he turn out one more good-great match. This match was it.

I'd put it in both men's top ten matches in their career, although I'm sure others will disagree. I'd probably put it in my top thirty matches. There is just so many great matches and workers and variance in opinion that it's hard to say how it stacks up to others. I personally find Sting and John Cena to be good workers, and many would disagree with that.

I'm looking forward to Sting vs Samoa Joe and Sting vs Christian if either happens. They have the opportunity to reach the same quality for me. But to answer the question correctly, there are so many great talents in TNA that just need some serious nurturing to grow or produce something classic. Even a guy like Tomko has grown since his bland WWE days. With the proper build and opportunities I could see him putting out something memorable.

It wasn't a flawless match or anything, but much like the Flair retirement match recently. This one had an emotional value to me. Sting is my all-time favorite and I was sure he was losing and retiring at the hands of Angle. I got to see him win the belt in Plymouth, MI the year before and thought that'd be his last World Title. So it was cool to be proven wrong. One of the few matches recently I've been emotionally invested into. I'd give it 4 stars or 8/10.

Christopher Daniels vs. AJ Styles vs. Samoa Joe from TNA Unbreakable, 09/11/05.

The match is all business, with the emphasis on athletics. It's everything that TNA should be.

No prolonged rest holds or slow spots. They were out to recruit new fans with this one.

4. Does any grouping of workers (not including those in said match) under TNA contract now make you think that another match of this caliber could be produced anytime soon?

For all I know every TNA PPV has a match that blows this one away, but the creative team killed all of the faith that I had in the product a long time ago.

I would give it **** 1/4.

Jerry Lynn vs. Lo-Ki vs. AJ Styles, early weekly PPV for X title. This is on the Styles DVD, but it is not the ladder match.

There are other matches that are better known and seen by more people, but that match was revolutionary when I first saw it in 2002. It was a statement of purpose from early TNA that "this is what we're about." It also invented several of the wild 3 way spots that TNA has done since.

I haven't seen enough great ROH to say but it's much more athletic and exciting than most WWE stuff. Some aspects remind a bit of Lynn's earlier ECW work with RVD, but those matches had more of a mean streak.

Sure, they do matches similar to it all the time, but the immediacy and trailblazing aspect of the match can't be duplicated. We've seen the same spots plenty of times since.

I'll say ****3/4. It was damn near a perfect match for the time period, the only minor deduction is that the finish was a little strange with the ref bump and all. PCN I'll say 9/10.

James Storm vs. Chris Harris Texas death match

These 2 were the best thing about TNA and North American Tag teams for awhile as AMW. They constantly put on good matches, and made other tag teams in the company look good. They had tremendous chemistry, and were a perfectly fine "southern Tag team". When they finally broke up, it should've mean big things for both guys. Harris should've gone on to be a top face, Storm should've gone on to be a top heel, but this is TNA the only sure thing about the company. Is they would surely fuck up anything. The angle stated off pretty good. Storm took out Harris with a beer bottle, and fucked up Harris's eye. The rest of the story should've written itself, but again this TNA.Somehow this ended up in to a blindfold match at Lockdown 2007. This was not only a horrible match, it was probably the worse match in the history of TNA, and this is a company that has a reverse battle royal mind you. The match was just plain awful.

Than Sacrifice 2007 came around I not only did these 2 erase the blind fold match from the record books. Not only did they steal the show (which wasn't really That hard to do). They put together the best match in the history of TNA (again not hard to do) and in the top of my favorite matches of 2007, these guys just had a awesome match, and it was like they went though their whole history in those 20 minutes, it was just magical on every level. The hate was there, the story telling was there, ever high spot mean something, and every big move had meaning. They use the rules of a Texas death match as perfect as I seen it done. I'd put it up there with anything Lawler/Dundee, or Watts ever did. The match should've been a blow off to a 5 year history of a team, and the start of 2 promising careers. Harris should've gone on to be a top face; Storm should've gone on to be a top heel. The history with TNA was there, they were both over huge, but you know...its TNA

It's right up there with the best matches of 2007 from every company I've seen, that's including WWE, ROH, NOAH, NJPW, and Chikkara.

4. Does any grouping of workers (not including those in said match) under TNA contract now make yo think that another match of this caliber could be produced anytime soon?

Storm is still there. He has what it takes to have another match of that caliber, but I don't think it'll ever happen in TNA again.

10 easily

They also had the 2nd best match in TNA last year on impact a few weeks later.