TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Ghost of bps21

TSM Profile: Christian Cage

It's that time. We'll move up the card a bit this week. Before Angle...before Sting...TNA made a different "major acquisition".

Christian Cage

IMG_0979.jpg

Name: Christian Cage

Height: 6'1''

Weight: 240

TNA Debut: November 13, 2005

Accomplishments: 2x NWA World Heavyweight Champion, 3x WWE IC Champion, 9X WWE Tag Team Champion, WWE European Champion, WWE Light Heavyweight Champion, WWE Hardcore Champion

Background: Arguably the first person to choose to leave WWE and make TNA his home, Christian debuted as a face and unseated Jeff Jarrett for his first World title. Cage has said all along he made the decision to come to TNA because he fealt he was never going to get the chance to be at the top of the card in WWE. He would eventually turn heel (where he's more natural) and capture a second NWA title. He's back to the face side now after memorable feuds with Rhino, Joe and Angle.

Points for Discussion: Well...he wanted to be a top guy and he has been for 2 and a half years now...what are your thoughts on his TNA tenure thus far? Thoughts on the Christian Coalition that saw the debut of Tomko and the new character start for AJ Styles? Best matches (regardless of what Truthiness will no doubt be telling us in this thead)? His near 2 year streak of being unpinned and unsubmitted? How would you compare his ring work now from before he left WWE? His promos now that he is a focus of a company?

When I started watching again late last year, I was surprised to see Christian on TNA, but oddly pleased that he was apparently doing well. I'm most amused by the Evanescence rip-off they have him using for a theme song, but that's TNA.

In a strange way, I think it's what I'd do with him if I were putting together a new promotion and I landed him. More or less.

Christian was one of those people that I felt the WWE really missed the boat with and was really happy to see he'd jumped.

Do I think he was pushed too quickly? Yes he was, a slow build to his fist title win would have been better, but who can forget the image of him celebrating with the title with the Impact Zone in the ring lifting him aloft? His face run dried up pretty quickly and was in dire need of a heel turn which was his best run in the company thus far - his fued with Joe was amazing.

But what is next for the Instant Classic? Well I can see another title run in him, but I'd kind of like to see an end to his Sting fued that never really got going.

As for Tomko and Styles, intially, I wasn't over enthused with Tomko debuting due to his lackluster run in the E, but he has improved leaps and bounds and his now one of the best guys in that position. Styles on the other hand, and I don't think many people agree with me here, has improved even more in his new role because he's finally interesting to watch. Styles from 04-05 was "just another X divison guy who occasionally broke the glass ceiling" but now he has a charcter and one that he does very fucking well.

I, personally, agree with you about Styles.

From the start of TNA until they started adding in bigger name talent (like Christian and Sting) AJ was kind of THE guy. And that was based solely on his ring work. It was well deserved...but he HAD to add another dimension or he was just going to be outclassed by the rest of the guys. I think the early emergence of Joe is really what made that obvious. Joe had that something on top of his work that made him stand out...AJ didn't. He's played his bufoon role really really well...and now when he does move up to the next level again (obviously when his character matures to the point)...I think people will be more apt to buy into it. It looks like there going to do it with Angle...and that's really good because Angle's the guy at the top.

To bring it back to Christian...before AJ joined with Christian I remember the two had a ppv match and I remember watching it and thinking...AJ doesn't LOOK like he's on that level. I'm glad they took steps to refresh him...cause the workrate is always there.

I remember when Christian was getting his push in WWE, it was mainly due to the fact that the fans were behind him. One of his last matches was the three way with Cena and Jericho. EVERYONE was behind Christian getting the title, and WWE blew it. I was happy when he jumped to TNA. The initial face run was obvious since the fans loved him, and wanted to see him win. I thought that his heel run was needed as he is a great heel. I think that this face run is working fine, and is going to work as TNA actually built him up as someone you want to see win. The only thing he needs to do is get a new finisher. I HATE the Unprittier as a finisher as it takes too long to set up, and is too easy to reverse. He needs a more impactful move.

Being a big Tomko fan all the way back to when he was Bane in OVW, I was always behind him in WWE (also, in Japan as I am a HUGE Albert mark). TNA did what WWE couldn't do, and that's make Tomko someone that the fans care about. I like AJ and have from the dying days of WCW when he was teamed with Air Paris. That being said, I love his gimmick right now. They did the right thing with him by making him Christian's lacky. He was able to work with someone that is very good on the mic, and I think that has rubbed off on him. His feud with Angle should be great.

I was very happy that TNA utilized Christian the right way by giving him a truly memorable title win by defeating Jeff Jarrett and getting a good run out of it. Otherwise, he still would've been floundering around in WWE going nowhere. Hell, when they moved him to SD, I thought he still had a chance, but they wouldn't even give him the U.S. title so I don't blame him for jumping at all. He's done very well for himself.

I liked Christian a lot in WWE. Edge and Christian were one of my favorite tag teams when I was younger during the attitude days. I also loved the Christian/Tomko/Trish stable after Mania 20. Going to TNA has helped him a lot. He could never been WWE World champion but he made a good TNA world Champion. Plus, I think the smaller size of TNA has helped get him more over. With that said, I hate him as a face. He's a way better heel.

He's been used much better in TNA than he was in 2005 in WWE. However, I also like him better as a heel because he acts too nice as a face, and that's not what he's suited for since he's better at being cocky. Christian apologizing to Rhino just to get him on his Lockdown team doesn't make sense considering they beat the hell out of each other two years ago.

That rip off music is actually a rip off his wwe theme...that was from a band ripping of Evanescence. It's twice removed at this point...

Christian's TNA theme is more of a ripoff of "My Last Breath" by Evanescence than of his last WWE theme. It's pretty much the exact same song without lyrics.

I'm oddly not surprised. Wow.

Angle's current TNA theme is the best. It makes me happy for some unknown reason.

Angle's is a rip off of Tom Cochrane's "Lunatic Fringe".

(Unless of course it's been recently changed, I haven't watched for a while).

It's still the same, but, along with the trend of "Everyone must have lyrics to be cool", I feel ift was ruined with the addition of rap lyrics.

Cage has done a great job in TNA. He is thoroughly entertaining and it's almost surreal to watch guys like Sting and Nash play the enforcer to his leader roole and let him do ALL the talking. They will literally stand on the side and keep their arsm crossed with an intense stare.

I legitimately buy him as a main event level performer, but wish, as stated before. that he dropped the finisher and got a better one that IS NOT a reverse STO.

I see this run as an eventual ploy to walk back into the WWE in a higher spot with Edge being in the top teir and him being able to shine elsewhere.

I see this run as an eventual ploy to walk back into the WWE in a higher spot with Edge being in the top teir and him being able to shine elsewhere.

I dunno about that.

More specifically, I don't know if WWE would WANT him back. I mean, he did pretty much bad mouth the company on PPV during his debut.

...course this was around the time they did that skit with "Dr. Vince"

Yeah...but he also showed up for their taboo tuesday show because he was one of the polling options...and his contract had already expired.

I think they're on real good terms.

However, Christian signed a new 2 year deal with TNA when his first 2 year deal came up...so he's not just using TNA for anything...and seems to generally like it there. I think it's been a great move for him. His matches with Rhino, Joe and Angle have been some of thebest stuff he's had in his career.

I just can't imagine guys not having this itch to hold the world title in the most prestigious and important wrestling company in the world. That's not necessarily saying a whole lot about the WWE, but never taking a legit shot at it (He'd have a more legit shot, IMO, being a if not "the" top guy in a rival comapny with national exposure). Before his career is said and done, unless TNA overtakes WWE in ratings, buyrates, etc. I'd see him wanting another crack at the WWE title.

That rip off music is actually a rip off his wwe theme...that was from a band ripping of Evanescence. It's twice removed at this point...

Christian's TNA theme is more of a ripoff of "My Last Breath" by Evanescence than of his last WWE theme. It's pretty much the exact same song without lyrics.

Either way, fuck Evanescence, they suck.

I never understood what WWE supposedly missed out on with Christian. He was ok on the mic, acceptable in the ring, and that is all. If WWE missed out huge, that would mean TNA gained something huge, well we all know TNA hasn't really done anything big. Christian was a mid carder in WWE and came to TNA and went straight to the main event, and got a few title runs. Business didn't get any better, buyrates are the same, and the ratings are the same.

I've never seen what was so special about Christian.

He was someone the WWE fans really got behind. Not on the level of Eugene or Hornswoggle, but on a level that he deserved a shot to see what he could offer on the next level in WWE. They didn't give him that chance. That's what they missed out.

He was someone the WWE fans really got behind. Not on the level of Eugene or Hornswoggle, but on a level that he deserved a shot to see what he could offer on the next level in WWE. They didn't give him that chance. That's what they missed out.

Yeah, but they still went on to have 3 very good years without him (last year was their most profitable). If WWE missed out on what Chistian had to offer. I would have to think TNA found out what Christian could deliver if given a big push. He didn't really deliver much; he's basically the same character now that he was in WWE in 2005. WWE didn't really miss out on much with Christian. There are about 14 people in WWE who are better than Christian, and are getting pushed accordingly. Some already have top spots, some of them are upper mid carders, and will be for life, and some will be pushed to the moon one day. They all can fill the role Christian had with the company and are better workers in my opinion.

I think it would have been interesting to see what would have happened if WWE had got behind Christian when the fans did and given him a strong push. It's possible that he would have been one of those guys who the fans get behind in wanting them to reach the top but when they get there, the support drops off, for whatever reason. Whatever would have happened can be speculated on, but we'll never really know. At the very least, I think he'd have ensured a strong upper midcard position where he could slip into the top level mix when needed.

As for Christian's talent and ability, I don't see him as main event player. I see him as a better version of Jeff Jarrett, where he's good at everything, sometimes really good, but not at the main event level on any of it, at least at the major league level. He's the utility guy who stays strong near the top of the card, usually beats the guys below him but puts them over when they're en route to the top level. He'll be over enough where he's a good opponent for a top face in the TV main event, but rarely in a main event match on PPV; when it happens, it'll be to make up for the shortcomings of whoever else is in the match, and to carry the workload.

In WWE, he'd be Umaga, who's kept strong unless it's against the real top guys or next hot thing, when his role would be to ultimately put the other guy over. Which I'd peg as the right spot for Christian.

He didn't really deliver much; he's basically the same character now that he was in WWE in 2005.

I agree to some extent, but I will give Christian credit for at least keeping his gimmick fresh by changing his catchprase or handle.

One of my favourite Christian moments was when he had a match against Batista in England just after he won the World title and got a bigger reaction than the entire roster. It was really funny to see Christain posing on the top turnbuckle facing the crowd cheering loudly for him and for him to ask "what the fuck?!"

By the way, let me just say that "if you don't know, now you know" is one of the stupidest catch-phrases ever. I don't even get what it's supposed to mean. I've always been a fan of Christian and I've been trying to like him lately, but he's really nowhere near as good as a face as he is as a heel.

He's one of the ten wrestlers I'd take to start a company, using only WWE and TNA guys. I think he was criminally underused in the WWE, and he's a legit player in TNA.