TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The Poulan Weedeater Offseason Bowl

The creation of the offseason college basketball thread made me realize I forgot to create an offseason college football thread like three months ago, so better late than never. My not so bold prediction for this year is that Georgia is going to fuck everyone up.

Here's your non-traditional, non-conference games of note. Well okay not all of them are noteworthy and I probably missed a few.

August 28th

N.C. State at South Carolina

August 30th

Alabama vs. Clemson (Atlanta)

USC at Virginia

Michigan State at California

Utah at Michigan

Oklahoma State vs. Washington State (Seattle)

Hawaii at Florida

September 1st

Tennessee at UCLA

Fresno State at Rutgers

September 6th

Miami at Florida

Cincinnati at Oklahoma

Oregon State at Penn State

Mississippi at Wake Forest

September 12th

Kansas at South Florida

September 13th

Arkansas at Texas

Oklahoma at Washington

Virginia at Connecticut

Ohio State at USC

Oregon at Purdue

Wisconsin at Fresno State

UCLA at BYU

California at Maryland

September 17th

Kansas State at Louisville

September 18th

West Virginia at Colorado

September 20th

Miami at Texas A&M

Iowa at Pittsburgh

Boise State at Oregon

Mississippi State at Georgia Tech

Georgia at Arizona State

September 27th

Virginia Tech at Nebraska

Colorado vs. Florida State (Jacksonville)

Fresno State at UCLA

South Florida at N.C. State

October 23rd

Auburn at West Virginia

Why? Why do they keep having these neutral site games? I can maybe understand for big rivalries, but for nonconference games?

Why? Why do they keep having these neutral site games? I can maybe understand for big rivalries, but for nonconference games?

ONE of those is a nuetral site game, the other two certainly aren't, which makes it even more weird, in my opinion. I mean, Qwest might hold more people than... whatever WSU's home field is called, but Jacksonville isn't holding more than FSU. Weird.

ONE of those is a nuetral site game, the other two certainly aren't, which makes it even more weird, in my opinion. I mean, Qwest might hold more people than... whatever WSU's home field is called, but Jacksonville isn't holding more than FSU. Weird.

Well they aren't neutral site but usually they call it a neutral site even when it's in the same town. I mean come on. You could have UCLA play a home game vs. a non-conference foe at the Coliseum and they'd call it a neutral site despite the fact it's right there. At least that's how I've always seen it done.

But the point is, why can't we stay at home stadiums? And why are Clemson and Alabama playing in the state of Georgia?

I'd also like to agree with Bored's statement about Georgia fucking some people up. They were pretty scary good at the end of last season, even if they were playing the JV in the Sugar Bowl.

When teams play in "neutral" stadiums, they can get away with charging more money for tickets.

Why is Clemson/Alabama in Atlanta? You can read the details here, but the short form: the Peach Bowl committee was looking for a big game to host and open the season. The money, excitement for the fanbase, and attraction of national exposure--the teams haven't played each other since 1975--got Clemson involved. Central Florida asked to get out of their 2008 game against Clemson (or Clemson bought them off), and they replaced them with South Carolina State so they'd have an easy win to make up for a possible season-opening loss. Neither Clemson nor Alabama would have been willing to play that game at the other's stadium without a return game, so the neutral site made sense.

I think it's cool, even if a few smaller schools probably got dicked around as a result of the negotiations. The Peach Bowl is a great venue for big-time regional games, so I think it's pretty cool for them to do a showcase game every year.

Meh, everytime UT comes to play Rice in Houston they hold the game over at Reliant. Like people have said, it gets them an out to charge more money and well.. it also gives them a chance to play in an NFL stadium once every two years..

Did anybody catch Tebow's dad on TV just now spouting off bible verses?

"What do you think of your son being in the national spotlight?"

"I'm glad it gives him a national platform to honor Jesus."

Bowls, bowls, everywhere! We've got some new ones - the St. Petersburg Bowl and the Congressional Bowl, bringing the total tally to 34. The St. Pete Bowl essentially replaces the PapaJohns.Com bowl as Shitty C-USA team vs. Shitty Big East team, because the Pizza Bowl cut a deal to replace its C-USA team with an SEC team. So, the SEC becomes the first conference to get 9 automatic bowl bids. Were this only in place last year, we could have had the thrill of seeing 6-6 South Carolina vs. 6-6 Louisville! These ESPN-owned bowls are terrible.

I actually think the Congressional Bowl in D.C.--a service academy vs. an ACC team for now, ideally a service academy vs. ACC/at-large in the future--is a great idea and would be an awesome replacement for either of the miserable west coast ACC bowls. Given the huge Army/Navy/Air Force presence around DC and the proximity of most of the ACC teams, that would actually be a bottom-tier bowl game that could move 40,000-50,000 tickets a year no problem.

Sadly, the Rocky Mountain Bowl in Salt Lake City was vetoed. Another day, Rocky Mountain Bowl. Another day.

Here's an early season spotlight at the interesting FCS/FBS matchups for the 2008 Season. Nice to see some really legit interesting games.

Week 1

Eastern Kentucky (9-3) @ Cincinnati

Appalachian State (13-2) @ LSU *Easily the match-up of the week*

Delaware (11-4) @ Maryland

McNeese State (11-1) @ North Carolina

Northern Iowa (12-1) @ BYU

Week 2

Norfolk State (9-4) @ Kentucky

Richmond (11-3) @ Virginia

Week 3

Southern Illinois (12-2) @ Northwestern

Delaware State (10-2) @ Kent State

North Dakota State (10-1) @ Wyoming

Week 4

Wofford (9-4) @ South Carolina

Massachusetts (10-3) @ Texas Tech... damn! This should be interesting, esp. with QB Liam Coen for UMass.

You know, I wouldn't be surprised to see App State/LSU get the Gameday treatment to start the season. Champion vs. champion, obviously the huge storyline of "can the little guys upset another juggernaut in Week 1?", and the fact that people who watch D-I games actually might know Armanti Edwards after last year. The other biggest matchups are Clemson/Auburn (which isn't at a campus site) and USC/Virginia (which will likely be a drubbing and might not be necessary since USC plays Ohio State in probably the year's marquee game a week later).

How good's UMass? Can they keep Texas Tech under 70 or is Crabtree going to go for 300 yards against them?

You know, I wouldn't be surprised to see App State/LSU get the Gameday treatment to start the season. Champion vs. champion, obviously the huge storyline of "can the little guys upset another juggernaut in Week 1?", and the fact that people who watch D-I games actually might know Armanti Edwards after last year.

I'm curious to see how they do with the loss of WR Dexter Jackson who was a key weapon vs. Michigan.

How good's UMass? Can they keep Texas Tech under 70 or is Crabtree going to go for 300 yards against them?

UMass is solid although I think this year they'll be relying on the arm of QB Liam Coen to ride them to victories since RB Matt Lawrence graduated. They held Boston College to 24 points last season although they are prone to allowing offenses to explode at times.

I can see Texas Tech putting up 42 or 49 points although it wouldn't surprise me to see UMass finish with around 28 or so themselves, maybe higher if Coen's on his game.

In other thrilling bowl news the Cotton Bowl received approval to move next year's game to January 2nd which dwindles the number of January 1st bowl games next year to five. Joy.

In other thrilling bowl news the Cotton Bowl received approval to move next year's game to January 2nd which dwindles the number of January 1st bowl games next year to five. Joy.

Ugh..this is terrible news.

According to various media reports, LSU coach Les Miles has kicked uber-prospect QB Ryan Perriloux off the team.

The story appears to be that Perriloux wasn't doing what needed to be done to participate in football at LSU (likely skipping classes and/or failing out, as this should be spring semester exam week at LSU).

This was something long in the making, at least since he and two of his buddies got into a brawl with bouncers at a club managed by some people I know from HS during the off-week before the Alabama game.

At least this happened *BEFORE* the season and not *DURING* the season, which is what I expected given that this guy is a chronic dumbass.

According to various media reports, LSU coach Les Miles has kicked uber-prospect QB Ryan Perriloux off the team.

The story appears to be that Perriloux wasn't doing what needed to be done to participate in football at LSU (likely skipping classes and/or failing out, as this should be spring semester exam week at LSU).

This was something long in the making, at least since he and two of his buddies got into a brawl with bouncers at a club managed by some people I know from HS during the off-week before the Alabama game.

At least this happened *BEFORE* the season and not *DURING* the season, which is what I expected given that this guy is a chronic dumbass.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

Oh that is just hi-fuckin-larious.

(I apologize about this, as a Longhorn fan I can only laugh and laugh)

What a bust Perriloux was...

Rivals.com had him rated 5* in 2005 as the best Dual Threat QB ahead of...

- Chase Daniel: 3* and 6th

- Casey Dick: 3* and 13th

- Matt Grothe: 3* and 24th

- Justin Willis: 3* and 28th

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

Oh that is just hi-fuckin-larious.

(I apologize about this, as a Longhorn fan I can only laugh and laugh)

If you still want him, you can have him... he just needs to sit out a year for a transfer.

However, I'm thinking that he'll probably end up at a Louisiana-based I-AA school so that he can start immediately. Maybe Southern U., if he wants to stay in Baton Rouge, or either McNeese St. or Northwestern LA if he wants to play on a I-AA tournament team.

(SWAC schools like Southern don't play in the I-AA tourney because they make too much money with games like the Bayou Classic (Southern vs. Grambling at the Superdome), the SWAC Title Game, the Heritage Bowl, etc. They compete for the Sheridan Poll title, aka the "Black National Championship", instead of the I-AA title.)

BTW, my initial thoughts of his dismissal being grade-related are supposed to be wrong.

The current rumor, which no one will confirm because it will impact his NFL draft prospects, is that he failed three drug tests.

EDIT-

Scratch that... WAFB 9 (CBS Baton Rouge) and ESPN are reporting that Perriloux failed a drug test. There goes my "no one will confirm it" comment.

Hell no I don't want him at UT.. he can stay the fuck in Louisiana for all I care.

I just laugh because he's thought he was going to be some mega-star and start at LSU his first year on the team but could never keep his ass out of trouble.

I could see going the Southern or Grambling route as that'll atleast give him one national TV game to try and showcase himself.

Grambling State could probably use him more... Although they have Sr. QB Brandon Landers on their team but he struggled last season (56% and 23 TD vs. 18 INT).

Southern, honestly, probably wouldn't start Perriloux if he transferred. QB Bryant Lee was a Sophomore last year and went nuts (66% with 23 TD vs. 4 INT in 303 attempts). Lee is for all intents and purposes the unquestioned starter there and I doubt he'd be benched for Perriloux, esp. given the issues surrounding Perriloux.

Rhett Bomar was disappointing at the FCS level considering his hype too... 59% with 10 TD vs. 6 INT despite averaging 32 passes a game.

I just don't see Perriloux being dominant at this level, especially with his lack of experience (79 passes on a stacked team which he won't find at the FCS level) and drug issues.

The current rumor at the ESPN site has him transferring to Alabama A&M.

I don't know anything about that team, but the school sounds like a HBCU (historically black college/university).

The thing is with the transfer to FCS thing is he'd have to sit a year under the current rules too. I'm pretty sure they redid that. So his options are sit a year in FBS/FCS, transfer to Division 2 or NAIA since D3 doesn't do scholarships.

There's a LOT of NAIA schools with reputations for taking legal troubled football players from the higher schools.

Teke, Alabama A&M is a HBCU from the SWAC.

So Teke, what does LSU have in the tank at QB at this point?

It seems lately they've just been able to stick someone in there and do ok so I don't forsee too much trouble.....unless Periloux was their plug in guy.

The thing is with the transfer to FCS thing is he'd have to sit a year under the current rules too. I'm pretty sure they redid that. So his options are sit a year in FBS/FCS, transfer to Division 2 or NAIA since D3 doesn't do scholarships.

There's a LOT of NAIA schools with reputations for taking legal troubled football players from the higher schools.

Teke, Alabama A&M is a HBCU from the SWAC.

I just looked up the SWAC history and realized why I couldn't place them...

They're the last team to join the SWAC, in 1999, which was after I stopped caring about who belonged to the conference.

So Teke, what does LSU have in the tank at QB at this point?

It seems lately they've just been able to stick someone in there and do ok so I don't forsee too much trouble.....unless Periloux was their plug in guy.

They've got Andrew Hatch, a transfer from Harvard, who was on the team last year as the 3rd string QB.

If Perriloux hadn't been re-instated by the SECCG, he'd have started against Tennessee instead.

They've also got Jarrett Lee, a redshirt freshman who was highly recruited out of Texas, and an incoming freshman who was highly recruited as well.

As far as LSU's *need* for QBs goes, it's not as great as it would be for other teams, IMHO. The engine of LSU runs off running backs and they have a BIG stable of them that they've returned from last season.

LSU's QB only needs to be a Trent Dilfer style of "game manager" in order for the team to win... Historically, LSU won their two titles with less-talented white QBs (Matt Mauck and Matt Flynn) who were game-managers rather than with their more-talented and more-athletic predecessors (rocket-armed QBs Rohan Davie and JaMarcus Russell).

Also I believe in terms of transfer rules, if the school you're transferring too has a major not listed at your prior school (which you then sign up for), then sitting one year gets waived but don't hold me to that.

Alabama A&M's been solid since Anthony Jones' arrival in 2002 (consistently at 7-4 or better).

They are in need of a QB but don't have much in the way of offensive weapons.

RBs Ulysses Banks and Anthony Green combined for 1,336 yards (5.57 YPC) but both are around 5'7" or 5'8" in height.

WR Thomas Harris is their only threat at receive with a 17.8 YPC but he's slight (listed at 6'0" and 171 lbs.)

The only upside for Perriloux is that Kelcy Luke had 490 touches (101 carries, 389 passes) so he could get a chance to show off his wheels there.