TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Al Giardello

Post here if you dislike Will Ferrell...

I didn't think Will Ferrell would bring out such passion in people. I think he's ok, but I don't get the worship at all.

Go fuck a picnic table, anti-semite.

Ok, that's enough.

I decided not to close it, but quit with the attacks. I guess I'll just have to warn those who don't listen.

OR...I guess I'll move it and you guys can go crazy. If that's what you want.

Ahh c'mon, in no way do I think he's an anti-semite. It was a joke. Jericho is a solid dude, I'm sure of it.

Hahaha anti-semite... I should have paid closer attention to your name before I wrote "you and your ilk." Oops. :D

Bill Murray was hilarious in Groundhog Day (and "What About Bob?"). I also enjoy the works of Peter Sellers and Mitch Hedberg. Curb Your Enthusiasm, early 90's SNL and Kids in the Hall are great shows.

For the ones you didn't already mention, I like Dave Chapelle, Chris Farley, Steve Carell, Adam Sandler (before Little Nicky), David Spade (with Farley), Eddie Murphy (80's only), Dan Akroyd (80's only), Chevy Chase, Russell Peters, and Jerry Seinfeld.

God, has a normally funny person (Adam Sandler) ever done anything less funny than Little Nicky?

I think Sandler's done a lot worse than that. Mr. Deeds, Click and 8 Crazy Nights are three that I can think of off the top of my head that were way worse than Little Nicky. In fact, I don't think Sandler's done a good straight comedy in years. I used to love Sandler's movies and I saw them all on opening weekend but he lost me around the time of Mr. Deeds. Click is when he really lost me though. I don't know if I'll ever even rent one of his new movies again after that piece of shit.

And if you really want to see normally funny people slumming, rent Envy. I can see that Black and Stiller were going for something different but god that movie was so flat and lifeless.

Hahaha anti-semite... I should have paid closer attention to your name before I wrote "you and your ilk." Oops. :D

Bill Murray was hilarious in Groundhog Day (and "What About Bob?"). I also enjoy the works of Peter Sellers and Mitch Hedberg. Curb Your Enthusiasm, early 90's SNL and Kids in the Hall are great shows.

For the ones you didn't already mention, I like Dave Chapelle, Chris Farley, Steve Carell, Adam Sandler (before Little Nicky), David Spade (with Farley), Eddie Murphy (80's only), Dan Akroyd (80's only), Chevy Chase, Russell Peters, and Jerry Seinfeld.

God, has a normally funny person (Adam Sandler) ever done anything less funny than Little Nicky?

And here I thought I was the only one who hated that film. Perhaps I was a little hasty in my judgment...of the jews. :D Yeah, I really wanted to like it but they were trying too hard with such a horrid script. It was a total waste of Harvey Keitel.

Click was a decent comedy, I had a couple laughs and the concept worked. Mr.Deeds was at least partly funny. The foot fetish jokes were the highlight. I loathe the majority of musicals so I can't accurately judge 8 Crazy Nights.

I'll give him this much: He's funnier than Will Sasso-or anyone else who came out of MadTV. That's not saying a whole lot, but hey, he's still funnier.

Go fuck a picnic table, anti-semite.

Ok, that's enough.

I decided not to close it, but quit with the attacks. I guess I'll just have to warn those who don't listen.

OR...I guess I'll move it and you guys can go crazy. If that's what you want.

Ahh c'mon, in no way do I think he's an anti-semite. It was a joke. Jericho is a solid dude, I'm sure of it.

Ok, I just didn't want things getting out of hand.

I like Will Ferrell, but his act is getting a little thin. I think he just needs to step away for a year or two and then come back, wasn't there a thread about Pitch a Will Ferrell movie here? And it all boiled down to chauvanistic ______ learns a lesson in life?

Stranger Than Fiction was _awesome_, and it shows that I think his style humor is more effective when it's subdued, or only has flashes of over the top antics, like when he's trying to get the voice to talk after he learns of his imminent demise.

As for comics I don't get why they are considered hilariously funny, Dave Chappelle is at the top of the list. I can't remember anything he's ever done that made me laugh. Ever.

FUCK YOU AMERICA, YOU BLOODY WANKERS, YANKS R SO STOOPID

Dude, what the fuck? Did USA just stomp on UK in a soccer game or something? And what the hell were you talking about when you mentioned how Britain only exports its dumbest comedy? Pretty much the only English comedy that your average Joe American has probably heard of is Monty Python anyway.

As for Ferrell, meh. I actually liked his work on SNL the best, as I think he does way better in a five-minute skit than in a two-hour movie. I liked Anchorman a lot, but the great supporting cast there didn't hurt; Talledega's wasn't quite so good, and I thought it was sorta forgettable. Bewitched was a little better than expected, I thought it was gonna suck hard, it just turned out to be generic. And while I liked Stranger Than Fiction, I couldn't help but have this feeling that this was an Early Jim Carrey Serious Role, kinda like Truman Show, which let Ferrell play a more ordinary leading role but still do a lot of his usual broad schtick.

As long as we're naming comedians that we hate, I've never, ever understood the appeal of Adam Sandler. In just about everything I've seen him in, I just sit there in pain, imagining someone else playing his part and doing it much better. (With the odd exception of Anger Management, which by some bizarre satanic miracle I actually enjoyed.) Another one: Tim Meadows. Never once laughed at the Ladies Man or anything else he's ever done.

I think Anchorman is fantastic. I didn't hate him in Talledega Nights. Other than that I don't think I've watched another one of his comedies.

I will echo something said earlier in the thread though...he was great in Stranger than Fiction.

*shrugs* I liked him on SNL alot.

Especially the dysfuntional family scene with Sarah Michelle Gellar. That always kills me.

I don't get 'Anchorman' at all. That's my main gripe with this guy. Just Catchphrase after catchphrase. Nothing in between.

I agree. Catchphrases is lazy writing, and can only be done if the actor can pull it off properly. (See Dangerfield, Rodney).

I'll give him this much: He's funnier than Will Sasso-or anyone else who came out of MadTV. That's not saying a whole lot, but hey, he's still funnier.

Frank Caliendo is talented. He isn't particularly funny, but the man is talented. Artie Lang was on MadTV, he was pretty funny. Bobby Lee is a good stand-up, though I might be biased 'cus I opened for him a couple times.

I didn't mind Mr. Deeds, but I didn't see Click or Eight Crazy Nights (I know!)

All I know is this, the weird retarded act really bugged the hell out of me in Little Nicky, which is sort of weird, I guess, considering it didn't annoy me in The Waterboy.

And those of you who NEVER thought Sandler was funny, I invite you to go back and watch Billy Madison again. Maybe you don't love him in it, but the movie is fucking great. I saw it when I was little, thought "Huh, that's pretty funny" and then watched it again last year and there was shit I never noticed before. Hillarious!

Sandler's worst movie BY FAR is Mr. Deeds. Little Nicky wasn't that great but there were some real funny parts and the ending is so absurd and random that I can't ever hate it.

8 Crazy Nights was just a longer/much cleaner version of a sketch on his "Stan and Judy's Kid" album. I don't even really count it as one of his films as it was just him and his buddies messing around trying to cash in on the holidays.

Anger Management is not great but there are some moments that keep it in the "watchable" category.

Mr Deeds on the other hand has no redeeming qualities. It's just awful on every level with Sandler trying to be cute and warm instead of being funny. When the movie ended I tried to rationalize it by thinking of of a few scenes that were kind of funny but I couldn't.

Haven't see Click though.

Billy Madison remains by favorite Sandler movie all time. I don't care what anyone says that movie is just fucking funny

How the hell does this warrant a thread?

Because it provides a discussion which is what a forum is about.

And for the record, I thought Anchorman was decent.

I just think he's overexposed. Plus he's the same character in every movie, but he's a funny guy if they cut back a bit on his movies, and change the stories up a bit.

He was pretty funny in Wedding Crashers too.

I think that he's more of a product of type casting than just signing up for movies. Everybody's gotta work in Hollywood. I'm not his agent, but I'd blame it on type casting. That being said, everything after Anchorman just got progressively more embarrassing.

Anchorman and Ricky Bobby had me rolling, Semi-Pro....not so much.

I did enjoy Stranger Than Fiction a lot though.

People keep mentioning STF as his "Jim Carey" roll and I'm beginning to wonder if that may be what happens to Ferrel down the road. I mean would Carey be caught dead doing a movie like Ace Ventura these days? Probably not.

I'm just wondering if Ferrel does another like STF and we look down the road 10 years and realize he'll never do anything like Anchorman again.

For the record I like all comedy from low-brow to stuff that goes over most people's heads. I just like to laugh and I find myself amused by a lot. I do enjoy most of that "Frat Pack" work.

I like Little Nicky, and I don't like any Sandler movies besides Madison and Gilmore. I really don't know where all the hate came from.

For the record, my favorite comedies ever are Billy Madison and Kingpin, so that's pretty much where my head's at. I don't think that's the most flattering thing to say, but I've expressed enough intelligence in other areas that I'm ok with saying it.

Although, Semi-Pro was a little different than Anchorman and Talladega Nights for me. I mean Will Ferrel wasn't even the main character. The movie felt more centered around Andre Benjamin and Woody Harrelson with Ferrel doing his crazy stuff in the background.

being an 80s child, there is a special place in my heart for The Wedding Singer...other than that, I have no use for Adam Sandler.

EDIT: I take that back, I liked Big Daddy.

hmm...Adam Sandler.

Billy Madison is good.

Happy Gilmore is less good...but still alright.

Wedding Singer is awesome.

Big Daddy had a few moments that I liked...it's watchable.

Little Nicky is horrible. So is Mr. Deeds.

Never saw 8 crazy nights or Anger Management.

i actually saw Click and didn't hate it. It wasn't good...it wasn't bad...it was just there.

I thought Click was pretty funny, but it was mainly the Sean Astin stuff that had me rolling.

And I've always been a bigger fan of Happy Gilmore over Billy Madison.