TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Buzz

Mick Foley

I've gone back and watched a lot of Foley's run from around Mania 22-Summerslam that year, and have to say I enjoyed it quite a bit. I know some think that he's become a parody of himself since "retiring" at the hands of Triple H. So with that being said I just wanted to know how everyone feels about Foley.

Did you like how his "retirement" was handled?

How'd you like his run as commissioner?

Did you like his short run with Randy Orton in 2004?

Did you enjoy his 2006 work?

Would you be interested in a more serious Foley if he wanted to come back ever full-time or close to it?

He needs to stop wrestling. Forever. When was the last time he actually "won a feud?" After a while, fans can't take him serious against an opponent. You can only put over so many wrestlers. After a while, it won't mean anything anymore.

I like Foley on the mic. Never really came across as anything *too* special in the ring to me imo - although his match with Randy at Backlash 04 was really awesome, along with his match at ONS 06 with Edge against Dreamer and Funk. Other than that, yeah. Foley's great on the mic though, and I wouldn't mind seeing him stealing Coach's spot on SD as the color commentator. I mean, it's not like he can do any WORSE...

I've always been a fan of his since one of the first memories I have of watching wrestling is Cactus Jack beating up his tag-team partner on World Championship Wrestling in the early part of 1990.

To answer the questions:

- I like the fact he went out initially with two very strong matches at the Royal Rumble and No Way Out in 2000. I didn't like him popping up in the main event of Wrestlemania a month later, however. I know he always wanted to headline it, but it severely cheapened the "retirement" match.

-I loved it. Him making Edge and Christian's life a living hell was absolutely hilarious at times.

-I don't remember much of it to be honest.

-I do know the match with Edge at Wrestlemania was a sick brawl so I'll give him points for that.

Would you be interested in a more serious Foley if he wanted to come back ever full-time or close to it?

-I'd be totally into him again if he came back as psycho Cactus Jack. One of my all time favorite angles was during the 2000 Royal Rumble build to the match with Triple H. Foley, as Mankind, says he can't participate in the match, and Triple H starts getting cocky. Foley then says he found a replacement... and starts taking off the Mankind attire to reveal the Cactus Jack shirt. The crowd reaction and Triple H's facial expression were absolutely golden. It was an incredible set-up to what would be just a sick, sick brawl at the PPV.

Yes. If not for WrestleMania 2000, I dare say that it was better handled than Ric Flair's. I went there.

It was great. Babyface authority figures are better than heel ones. If you can't tell, I'm a big Foley fan. A HUGE Foley fan, to put it lightly.

Ummm...I have to think of a way to answer that. Yes, I liked the match at Backlash that they had. At the same time, this angle got me to quit watching wrestling out of anger that Foley was spit on by Orton. I know how dumb that is.

Haven't seen it. Can't say.

Ha. Hell yes. 6 PPV's per year would be enough to keep me interested, but at the same time, WWE can't really afford to put someone on that limited of a schedule. It isn't good for business, and it wouldn't be good for Mick's body to be having that many matches. As mentioned, if he ever were to come back on that type of schedule, a psychopath is the best place to take his character. Obviously, Cactus Jack.

I could go on all day about how much I love Foley...but I won't.

The I quit match with Ric Flair is one of my favorite matches from either guys, just thought It'd throw that out there for those Foley fans who haven't seen it yet. Good stuff. The Vengeance match between the two wasn't much of anything though.

I've gone back and watched a lot of Foley's run from around Mania 22-Summerslam that year, and have to say I enjoyed it quite a bit. I know some think that he's become a parody of himself since "retiring" at the hands of Triple H. So with that being said I just wanted to know how everyone feels about Foley.

Awesome. Going back to Cactus Jack and nearly killing Hs was awesome at the 2000 Rumble and NWO.

It was ok - make a few gags, get the better verbally of the heels.

Loved the build - getting thrown down the steps at the Garden, the match at Mania and finally the Backlash bloodbath.

Hell yeah - the stuff with Edge at Mania 22 was fantastic. The ECW build was great. The first match with Flair was weird ... the second was awesome. I am a Foley mark.

Only if he got into shape ... a Cactus Jack run would be GREAT as long as Mick had the anger to pull it off. Not really interested in cuddly mick gets beat up by heel, gets angry, becomes Cactus Jack for a match, blah blah. I WANT Cactus to be the bad guy.

I think his multiple retirements and constant cheap pop appearances are starting to wane on the crowd, he seems to get a lesser reaction every time he appears.

I think his multiple retirements and constant cheap pop appearances are starting to wane on the crowd, he seems to get a lesser reaction every time he appears.

I agree completely. He's actually painful to watch in his cameo appearances anymore. He's turned into a caricature or a cartoon character. Original Japan/ECW Cactus Jack would want to put current Mick Foley out of his misery. I loved Mankind and ECW Cactus Jack, however if I never saw Mick Foley on WWE programming (other than a HOF spot) I wouldn't miss him at this stage.

When he's involved in a program with someone (like Orton, Edge and Flair) it works.

But it seems that they are all to willing to book him just for the sake of having Foley around.

-I loved it. Him making Edge and Christian's life a living hell was absolutely hilarious at times.

I agree - this was a great era, IMO. I think one of the lines was something where Foley said "You bet your sweet assess..." and Edge remarked to Christian how sick it was that Foley thought they had sweet asses. Classic shit right there.

I also enjoyed Foley's heel run in 2006, at least, what I saw of it.

1.) The RR and NWO matches were classic. However, they should've done the retirement thing for Wrestlemania. Using it for NWO cheapened it at Mania.

2.) The Commissioner run was fun. The constant bickering with Edge and Christian in the office was hilarious.

3.) The Backlash 2004 match was worth Foley's comeback.

4.) Absolutely. The Wrestlemania 22 match with Edge was my favorite match of the PPV. I didn't care much for One Night Stand II, but the Flair feud was great.

5.) I dislike Mick Foley for showing up just for the sake of showing up and not really contributing anything, but I wouldn't mind Foley coming back to work matches with new talent or physically feuding with McMahon because as somebody said, it'll be good because Foley will put his heart and soul into it.

I think one of the lines was something where Foley said "You bet your sweet assess..." and Edge remarked to Christian how sick it was that Foley thought they had sweet asses. Classic shit right there.

Actually, it was Kurt Angle who said that.

I did, and I didn't mind the WrestleMania 2000 main event, either. But the NWO match was what really put over Triple H as a legitimate main-eventer.

Loved it. It didn't hurt that it was the summer of 2000, when WWE was arguably at its best creatively.

Mick Foley made Randy Orton a star.

Foley lost me when he did the promo with Muhammad Hassan, invoking names of soldiers and participating in WWE's horrid attempts of being culturally relevant on a hot-button issue. I've never been a fan after that.

I like him as a wrestler and I like the actual guy. I guess I find him kind of boring as a retired wrestler who talks regularly, though.

On the other hand, he often doesn't get anything other than bad one-liners when he does show up. He showed up on a Raw during the period where Trips was in Evolution and wearing suits and glasses to the ring all the time, and they both lit a fire under each other's asses; with Foley getting into the throaty-scream style promo he's famous for and Trips actually getting pumped up and doing something more interesting than the constant "here is the list of guys I've beat" promo he was doing on an almost weekly basis. You could practically see the adrenaline starting to flow.

So basically, I think he's alright, but his on-camera class clown persona has really taken a nosedive for the mundane, probably because Al Snow is gone and there's nobody for him to really play off of.

1.) The RR and NWO matches were classic. However, they should've done the retirement thing for Wrestlemania. Using it for NWO cheapened it at Mania.

2.) The Commissioner run was fun. The constant bickering with Edge and Christian in the office was hilarious.

3.) The Backlash 2004 match was worth Foley's comeback.

4.) Absolutely. The Wrestlemania 22 match with Edge was my favorite match of the PPV. I didn't care much for One Night Stand II, but the Flair feud was great.

5.) I dislike Mick Foley for showing up just for the sake of showing up and not really contributing anything, but I wouldn't mind Foley coming back to work matches with new talent or physically feuding with McMahon because as somebody said, it'll be good because Foley will put his heart and soul into it.

I think one of the lines was something where Foley said "You bet your sweet assess..." and Edge remarked to Christian how sick it was that Foley thought they had sweet asses. Classic shit right there.

Actually, it was Kurt Angle who said that.

Was it really? Was it around the time that Foley was Commish? Maybe that's why I'm associating them, lol.

Big fan. Because he's really a really creative guy who made it on that creativity and on a willingness to do whatever it took. He's not muscular, he's not a body builder and yet he's one of the most over guys ever. That's really great, to me. He also seems to be a genuinely good guy, which is also nice.

The retirement match at NWO with HHH was one of the most intense match experiences I've had as a viewer. I really wanted him to have the belt going into Mania and I didn't see the retirement coming. I was pretty sad about that.

I haven't seen much of his work after that as I wasn't watching regularly, being at school.

Mostly, yeah. He got to go out in a relatively classy, hi-profile manner, and help cement the new rising star's main event status. (Of course hindsight would show that to be maybe not such a good thing, especially how ungrateful HHH seems about it.) The Wrestlemania thing was kind of cheating, but it was basically a going-away present to Mick, and he really did retire afterwards, so I don't have a big problem with that.

Of what I remember, it was pretty amusing. Funny skit stuff with Edge, Christian, Angle, etcetera. Didn't like it so much when he tried to get involved with serious angles like Who Ran Over Austin and such.

Brilliant shit. It pissed me off so bad when they first had Orton spit in his face and Foley just walked away, but it was just part of one long awesome buildup. The Evolution/Rock&Sock match was a hundred kinds of fun, and the sickening Backlash bloodbath imho got fans to really take Orton seriously as a top guy for the first time.

Hells ya. It seemed like Foley went a decade back in time and was the old ECW Cactus Jack once again. Not one, not two, but three classic insane brawls (Mania, ONS, and Summerslam) and a whole lot of great promos thrown in for free.

No. He's so physically beaten up, he should never ever come back fulltime. Just let him do his couple matches per year, and everything will be fine. Someone mentioned how Foley's returns are only really worthwhile as long as he's seriously feuding with someone, and not just showing up for the hell of it, and they're right. Foley in an vicious blood feud with Orton, Flair, or whomever is great, but Foley just showing up to pointlessly squash Carlito or get killed by Umaga or engage in shenanigans with the midget... who cares. It makes his occasional appearances less special when they're wasted on crap like that.

It was very well done, and even though it was nice to see him back for one last match at Wrestlemania, I'd have preferred it if his match at No Way Out was the last one of his full-time run.

It was fun for a while, but it lost a lot of steam near the end.

Yes. The 3-on-2 match at Wrestlemania was ok, but the match at Backlash was really good, and the promo he did in the lead up to it where he was holding the barbed wire baseball bat, was incredible.

The stuff with Flair was great, but the ECW stuff did nothing for me.

No. He has nothing left to offer, no 'rub' to give. His time is over, and he needs to stay home.

It was handled very well, and I never minded the Mania match as much as other people did.

2000 wasn't my favorite period, but Mick was fun as Commish. He made me laugh regularly and that's always good.

No, and I've honestly never gotten the love for that Backlash match or the build-up for that matter. On the plus side, I loved the "barbie" promo leading into the match, and Rock-n-Sock v. Evolution was cool

-I never got a chance to see the Flair matches, but yeah, Mick's 06 run was fun. The Mania and ONS matches were great (even if the booking between those two matches was kinda off), and I liked his attempts at cheap heel heat (The "Stephanie McMahon" comment at ONS had me rolling).

It's real hard for me to take Foley seriously anymore, even his good work, after having seen the real person behind the Cactus Jack persona. That, and like Mole said, his coming back to put people over all the time, while admirable, takes a lot of shine off his legend. He had a good run, but I could do without seeing him on TV again.

Mick Foley is easily one of my personal favorites of all time. He was willing to risk his life in order to entertain the average fan, and I can't help but respect that. His mic is amazing, even though he loses most of his feuds he is still able to put over talent based on his mic skills alone.

Here's a question. How many people read Mick Foley's Hardcore Diaries? I highly recommend it, not as good as his first two, but definitely a good read, if only to see how sad the WWE writing team truly is.

I actually liked it better than Foley Is Good. It had less filler thrown in to pad stuff out (Top 10 Roller Coasters, the endless PTC diatribe, etc), and Bitter Mick tends to write more entertaining and personal stuff than Content Mick does, and you could tell in Hardcore Diaries that he definitely had some bitterness to work out.

Yeah I enjoyed Hardcore Diaries a lot more than Foley is Good since it gives a good insight into the creative team circa 2006 and the whole build to the ONS PPV.

Not really. It's one thing to put HHH over on the way out, but Foley jobbed....then jobbed again and retired. Then unretired and jobbed again. I personally think a guy who is really retiring shouldn't lose a retirement match, since if he loses we all expect him to come back for revenge.

It was fine. I really enjoyed his silly skits with E & C from back in 2000. His various other runs as commish, like in 2001 near the end of the Invasion, weren't as successful.

I'm torn on this. It led to some decent stuff, especially the Backlash 2004 match. But Foley sorta made Orton a star in that feud. If you like Orton, then this is good. Otherwise....

Yes, I liked it more than the 2004 run actually. The Edge feud was odd at first but produced a great WM match. The ONS stuff was quite interesting as well, and the Flair stuff was very interesting. Only the Melina nonsense hurt his run, that angle was out of nowhere.

I don't really think he can, but if he was actually healthy and wanted to be back full time then that would be fine.