TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tbondrage99

Comic creators you love

We can talk about the creators that we hate all day long but what about all of those other guys out? What about the guys who are the reasons that we buy comics in the first place.

Frank Miller: For the most part you can never go wrong with Frank, despite All Star Batman & Robin. For me its hard to tell do I love his writing more or his art? But hey I don't have to decide he does both and is one of the best at either.

Robert Kirkman: Up until Invincible I never heard of the guy but since then, well lets just face it the guy can do no wrong, plus he has the best Zombie story going ever... and I'm not just talking about comics on that.

Brian K. Vaughn: Since discovering BKV I haven't been able to skip one of his books. Thats quite the statement since I hate Buffy with a passion, yet there are now some Buffy comics in my collection.

John Romita Jr.: I find when people talk about there favorite artists they, and often times myself, forget about Romita Jr. The guy is one of my favorites but always seems to be lost in the mix, when people start talking about there favorites. Well not this time. Romita Jr. is one of if not my favorite artist to work on Spider-Man ever. Usually when I think of Spidey, its Romita Jr's. Spidey that I think of.

These are just a few of the guys out there that I love just to get the ball rolling. What about you guys who do you go to the comic stores and shell out your hard earned cash every week for?

Geoff Johns. It's an obvious one, but frankly I think he can essentially write any DC Comics character and have them come out looking better. He also has a knack for taking dorky comic book concepts and making them incredibly cool (The latest arc of Action Comics being an excellent example), and his revisionist take on different franchises and ability to create interlocking threads (For example, Color Girl in the Subs is channeling the emotional power that Power Ring users use). He's probably my favorite writer right now.

Grant Morrison. His crazy concepts and stuff make for great reads. His current Batman arc is fantastic, Seven Soldiers was great, and I can't wait for Final Crisis.

Greg Rucka. The master of political intrigue, even better than Brubaker. Checkmate is one of the most intelligently written books on the market, with dozens of characters with distinct voices throughout the series.

Jim Starlin. I love his ability to create cosmic epics and his art style has an old-school flavor to it that I love. A big plus for the writer/artist title as well.

Ed Brubaker. A man who can weave an excellent noir tale and one who can invigorate most franchises. Iron Fist is brilliant, Captain America is brilliant... just everything he touches feels human and believable.

Matt Fraction. I have no clue where he came from, but his work is some of the best stuff out there. He's like Marvel's version of Grant Morrison, really, as he has a mastery of taking wacky concepts and making them awesome.

Warren Ellis. Super-science speak = great. His Ultimate Human series is great, Thunderbolts is even better. His ability to make comic book science sound believable is an achievement in and of itself.

Jack Kirby, Frank Miller, Erik Larsen, John Romita, jr. and sr., tim sale, mike mignola, joe maduriera, Robert kirkman, walt simonson, and about 100 others.

Greg Rucka. The master of political intrigue, even better than Brubaker. Checkmate is one of the most intelligently written books on the market, with dozens of characters with distinct voices throughout the series.

Pity he's leaving the series, though. I've thoroughly enjoyed his run.

I like JRjr, but I think that he's not that great with the faces. Still, brilliant artist, and very very good at storytelling.

George Perez, who I think is batshit crazy at times because he likes to draw hundreds of characters at once. He's got my respect for being at a Hobbystar con where the power went out, but he still did sketches for people, and while he charged for those sketches, that money went to the CBLDF.

Warren Ellis. Super-science speak = great. His Ultimate Human series is great, Thunderbolts is even better. His ability to make comic book science sound believable is an achievement in and of itself.

And of course, Nextwave was fucking brilliant.

Outside of the usual suspects, Dan Slott has come a long way from writing the Ren and Stimpy comic. I can't imagine that Avengers: The Intiative would've been as good in another person's hands. He's also had a good handle on the ex-New Warriors (not really surprising given that he was working with Fabian Nicieza during his NW run).

Jack Kirby - Arguably the most influential artist in comic book history, and still one of the most exciting.

Dave Gibbons - Did an incredible job on Watchmen.

Garth Ennis - I'm honestly surprised that he hasn't been mentioned already.

Alan Moore - Ditto.

Frank Miller - Before Dark Knight Strikes Again...

Grant Morrison - Did a better job with the JLA than anyone that I can remember, except for maybe...

Keith Giffen J.M. Dematteis (sp?) - Granted their Justice League was filled with perennial B-heroes, but the stories were well-written, funny and the characters were easier to relate to.

Kevin Maguire - I like his art.

Steve Dillon - Ditto.

Jack Kirby, Frank Miller, Erik Larsen, John Romita, jr. and sr., tim sale, mike mignola, joe maduriera, Robert kirkman, walt simonson, and about 100 others.

Also:

Stan Lee, Steve Ditko, Dave Gibbons, alan moore, George Perez, Carl Barks, Bill Watterson, Herb Trempe, John Buscema, Sal Buscema, Roy Thomas, barry windsor-smith, jim lee, mark bagley, brian michael bendis, grant morrison, frank quitely, Rob Liefeld, dan green, scott williams, terry austin, john byrne, Marv Wolfman, Gerry Conway, Art Adams, Carl Burgos, Kurt Busiek, Chris Claremont, Steve Epting, Garth Ennis, Michael Golden, Mark Gruenwald, Mark Millar, Todd McFarlane, Jae Lee, Joe Kubert, Andy Kubert, Adam Kubert, Sam Keith, Klaus Janson, Alex Ross, Greg Rucka, John Severin, lynn varley, Bill Sienkiewicz, Marc Silvestri, Joe Simon, Joe Sinnott, Jim Starlin, Jim Steranko, Roy Thomas, Mark Waid, Al Williamson, Wally Wood, larry hama...

And thats still just the beggining of the list, still...

Keith Giffen J.M. Dematteis (sp?) - Granted their Justice League was filled with perennial B-heroes, but the stories were well-written, funny and the characters were easier to relate to.

That was the beauty of their Justice League books. With a cast of b-list characters they had a lot more room to explore and develop personalities.

With Vaughan and Kirkman, I'll read anything they write. I can't say that about many others. Morrison and Ellis, maybe, but that's still just a maybe.

Judd Winnick's a guy I'll always give a chance based on past work no matter how many times he's dissapointed me.

The Batman/Gardner fight was still one of the funniest things ever in a Justice League book...

Excuse me, but two words: Sucker punch.

Walt and Louise Simonson are not only great talent, but they are also super nice at conventions to fans.

I like Michael Turner a lot as a cover artist, and he is another great person to talk to at cons. He signs everything and engages you in conversation.