TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
UZI Suicide

Stone Temple Pilots

I don’t get why this band gets so much flack. I’ve always wondered this and with the news of their reunion tour, it’s on my mind again. In STP’s heyday, the band was constantly ridiculed by critics and hailed as “pretenders to the throne” of Nirvana and Pearl Jam.

Granted, they didn’t, um, “revolutionize” rock music like Nirvana supposedly did, but STP was still a pretty damn good band that people judged way too harshly.

I mean, all they did was sell like 20 million records and churn out hit song after hit song. Unless you’re just not a fan of the genre, I don’t get how people can objectively listen to songs like “Interstate Love Song”, “Plush”, “Creep”, “Big Bang Baby”, “Sour Girl”, “Lady Picture Show”, “Sex Type Thing”, “Vasoline”, etc. and just be like..”Man, this blows.”

They weren’t the best band of the grunge era and they had PLENTY of faults but I think a lot of people are way too bias against STP and overlooked some pretty decent mid 90’s rock music.

They were one of the better big nineties alternative rock bands, in terms of having a good run of single at the very least. I'd take them in a second over Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, or Alice In Chains.

Big Bang Baby does kinda suck, though.

I have a soft spot for Soundgarden, but other than that I echo Coat. STP pretty solid band for the times, although I never really heard alot of people trashing on them either.

Any alternative rock band that came out during the era that STP broke out in was labeled a Nirvana and/or Pearl Jam rip-off so that arguement never held any ground to me.

But yea, always been a fan of STP and I wish I still had my old cell phone which had an awesome polyphonic ringtone of "Sex Type Thing".

Didn't help that when Plush came out everyone thought at the time it was Eddie Vedder doing a side project, then it was confirmed that STP was is own band.

Sour Girl blows.

I think they get shit on because before there were 5000 bands that sounded like Pearl Jam, they were Pearl Jam imitator #1. And once you get that tag as a ripoff, it's hard to get rid of it. I liked "Interstate Love Song". Other than that they never impressed me much.

I just think everything they've done is terrible and annoying. Also...

I mean, all they did was sell like 20 million records and churn out hit song after hit song.

That doesn't mean anything. You may as well be bringing up Nickelback or something.

Guest Teal-y Dan

"Interstate Love Song" and "Plush" are good '90s alternative rock singles. That's the extent of my knowledge and interest w/r/t the Stone Temple Pilots.

they were a pretty good band, lost among the shuffle of mediocre "grunge" bands back then.

Weiland is in my death pool though. i see him going the way of another lead singer of another mediocre grunge band... Lane Stanley.

actually, i used to confuse Stone Temple Pilots with Alice in Chains all the time. i still do occasionally.

they were a pretty good band, lost among the shuffle of mediocre "grunge" bands back then.

Weiland is in my death pool though. i see him going the way of another lead singer of another mediocre grunge band... Lane Stanley.

actually, i used to confuse Stone Temple Pilots with Alice in Chains all the time. i still do occasionally.

mediocre grunge band? YOU TAKE THAT BACK!

I'm just wondering what the future is now for Slash and Velvet Revolver...

I hated the hell out of Nirvana but they grew on me a little, STP started to get better once they found their own voice so to speak, and even though I hated Man in a Box to start, I got into AIC almost immediately. I fucking love Jerry Cantrell's guitar work. Not a lot of flash, just solid.

I'm pretty sure I am the Manchurian Candidate since every time I hear Plush I feel like killing somebody. "The dogs begin to smell her"? Fuck you.

The guitar sounds like somebody took the speaker from an amp and housed it in one of those gimmicked WWE trash cans. Sweet Christmas I hate STP.

Along with Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots were really foreshadowing what mainstream rock music was to become in the next decade and beyond. If you listen to 99.5 "The Hog" or Rock 101 sometime, it seems like every band sounds like a sludgier, angrier, and less tuneful version of Stone Temple Pilots.

AIC Mediocre? Shenanigans I say.

Seriously. To call AIC mediocre is bullshit to the nth degree. AIC was in a league of it's own.

To be fair, STP was formed in 1987. Pearl Jam in 1990. Something tells me that Weiland wasn't or isn't trying to sing like Vedder. That said, I've never seen the comparison as IMO they sound NOTHING alike.

aic was garbage. are we really going to say that aic was better than nirvana. stp, too? sometimes i wonder. big time wondering happening right now.

go listen to drain you and clense yourselves from the dirty sins of this thread