TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dandy

One Word Bandit

This gimmick is spamming. Stop, like, now.

I have no problem with stopping this at all, because I regretted saying I would do it for a month almost immediately. I told that to many people, including a few of the mod staff. However, how exactly do you classify this as spamming? I figure when you guys got together to figure out how you could officially get me to stop posting one word responses, you settled on "spamming" as the rule I was breaking. I bet you neglected the offer from one of the moderating staff to order me to stop so it would give me a way out. While I considered that (as I hated going through with the one word posts at least 5 times a day), I politely declined because I didn't want that moderator to look like he was abusing his power and have posters complaining about it. When I brought that up, he told me to just tough it out and keep posting. That was close to an hour before your mandate to stop. Also, you posted yesterday that I would not be gulaged or banned for what I was doing.

So, I have a couple of questions and points that I feel are valid:

1. At what point did this become spamming? Up until yesterday it was not spamming, right? But as of today, it was. What specifically put it over the top?

2. Apparently, one word responses are spamming, right? So will everyone be warned in the future if they only post one word? How many can they post before they are spamming?

3. How many words does it take to reach the minimum limit before a post is a spam? If there is a certain number of words we can agree on, that would be nice.

4. What if someone started posting 32 word replies every time they posted. Is that spamming? They are doing the same number over and over again, right? If an exact high number of words for each post is not spamming, but one word is, we arrive back at the exact number of words that constitutes spamming.

5. Before we bring up that this is a gimmick that was used outside of the NSFW area of the forums, allow me to bring up the Wilford Brimley gimmick (a gimmick that I think was awesome, by the way). He posted, as a gimmick, outside of the NSFW area. Was he spamming? If he does it again, should he be banned or gulaged? Maybe we should give him an ultimatum publicly? Here is one example for you: http://forums.thesmartmarks.com/index.php?...t&p=2676940

6. We have brand new updated rules here at TSM. I see spamming is a bannable offense. Now, I stopped as soon as I was warned about this, but just for clarification, maybe we should include a definition of what spamming is. I would be very interested to read this so I will not spam on this forum anymore.

I think we will set many precedents with the answers we give here tonight. Some of you, not all, are particular about not getting called out on mistakes that the moderating staff makes, and hate to have those mistakes pointed out. I am thinking of this in advance, so I would just like to have these questions or points answered or validated with this matter so that won't happen in the future. If we can get some set rules about what spamming consists of, surely no one can complain about spamming in the future. Thanks!

Ummm... Shut the fuck up?

Just bringing up valid points, am I not? Like I said, I have been wanting to stop posting like that for a while. ANyone that thinks differently should try it.*

*Do it on another board, though.

Ummm... Shut the fuck up?

Just bringing up valid points, am I not? Like I said, I have been wanting to stop posting like that for a while. ANyone that thinks differently should try it.*

*Do it on another board, though.

No need for a fucking essay... It's not that serious.

No need for a fucking essay... It's not that serious.

No, not serious at all. But, we are setting a precedent here, though, so these questions do need to be answered at some point.

No we're not. These mods are bunch of fruits, as I've pointed out, and will do as they please now and in the future, regardless of any rules and/or precedents. Just like Nazi Germany.

Guest Public Account 3

Dandy you asked us how to get out of doing this retarded gimmick and we gave you a way out. You said you were worried about other posters causing drama over it but you're the one trying to cause drama. Stop whining about it.

This gimmick is spamming. Stop, like, now.

I have no problem with stopping this at all, because I regretted saying I would do it for a month almost immediately. I told that to many people, including a few of the mod staff. However, how exactly do you classify this as spamming? I figure when you guys got together to figure out how you could officially get me to stop posting one word responses, you settled on "spamming" as the rule I was breaking. I bet you neglected the offer from one of the moderating staff to order me to stop so it would give me a way out. While I considered that (as I hated going through with the one word posts at least 5 times a day), I politely declined because I didn't want that moderator to look like he was abusing his power and have posters complaining about it. When I brought that up, he told me to just tough it out and keep posting. That was close to an hour before your mandate to stop. Also, you posted yesterday that I would not be gulaged or banned for what I was doing.

So, I have a couple of questions and points that I feel are valid:

1. At what point did this become spamming? Up until yesterday it was not spamming, right? But as of today, it was. What specifically put it over the top?

2. Apparently, one word responses are spamming, right? So will everyone be warned in the future if they only post one word? How many can they post before they are spamming?

3. How many words does it take to reach the minimum limit before a post is a spam? If there is a certain number of words we can agree on, that would be nice.

4. What if someone started posting 32 word replies every time they posted. Is that spamming? They are doing the same number over and over again, right? If an exact high number of words for each post is not spamming, but one word is, we arrive back at the exact number of words that constitutes spamming.

5. Before we bring up that this is a gimmick that was used outside of the NSFW area of the forums, allow me to bring up the Wilford Brimley gimmick (a gimmick that I think was awesome, by the way). He posted, as a gimmick, outside of the NSFW area. Was he spamming? If he does it again, should he be banned or gulaged? Maybe we should give him an ultimatum publicly? Here is one example for you: http://forums.thesmartmarks.com/index.php?...t&p=2676940

6. We have brand new updated rules here at TSM. I see spamming is a bannable offense. Now, I stopped as soon as I was warned about this, but just for clarification, maybe we should include a definition of what spamming is. I would be very interested to read this so I will not spam on this forum anymore.

I think we will set many precedents with the answers we give here tonight. Some of you, not all, are particular about not getting called out on mistakes that the moderating staff makes, and hate to have those mistakes pointed out. I am thinking of this in advance, so I would just like to have these questions or points answered or validated with this matter so that won't happen in the future. If we can get some set rules about what spamming consists of, surely no one can complain about spamming in the future. Thanks!

So is this your new, new gimmick now?

You talk as if you weren't someone that admitted this was a terrible idea yesterday and you simply wanted a way out that wouldn't make you lose face.

And weren't you just a mod, like, three weeks ago? So why are you trying to portray yourself as one of the oppressed when you were the one to volunteer to step down from your title?

I figure when you guys got together to figure out how you could officially get me to stop posting one word responses, you settled on "spamming" as the rule I was breaking.

No, I thought of that one myself. I thought it was clear by me not using Public Account that it was my decision.

It could either be called spamming or trolling. You know, had you kept this in the NSFW area, I would've never said anything at all.

I don't feel like answering a questionnaire right now, but I will anyway.

Around post #20. As for what specifically put it over the top...the new rules? I was waiting until they were posted before doing anything.

No, one word responses are not spamming, but you know, when someone posts NOTHING BUT one word posts, yes, I think it's spamming. As for how many they can post, if you do it down here and only down here, I really don't care how many. 20 or so in a row is what I'd call spamming.

I answered that question as best as I could in the post above.

Are they posting a complete thought? Do their comments constitute reasonable discussion?

I already thought about getting rid of it. If they make another post outside of the NSFW area, I probably have to, based on things we've discussed in staff about gimmicks. Unless, you know, it's something that pertains to discussion, like that post you linked to. Then I won't do anything for a bit. Well, that's your warning, guy!

Spam is the posting of advertisements, abusive, or unneeded messages on Internet forums.

There you go. Picture spamming (as we've seen in the past) is something that will be dealt with ASAP, so that people know in the future.. To clarify.

As for what I said, no, I didn't really want to suspend you, ban you, or anything like that. As for this

Also, you posted yesterday that I would not be gulaged or banned for what I was doing.

New rules weren't up, and honestly, I didn't know they were going to be up so soon. I said my spiel about the rules, and others hashed out the details, while I disappeared for most of the weekend. Honest truth. As I said, I didn't want to make a decision, warning, whatever, until the rules were posted. When they were up, I would've had to do something about it. Sorry.

I didn't want to really answer your questions, because I know I'll be complained at for taking this too seriously or whatever. If that's what happens, then oh well. But I did, as best I could, because that's what you wanted. As far as your comment about people on staff not liking being called out, it doesn't bother me. I don't mind being blamed for everything. I'm a big boy, I can handle myself.

I'm going to move this to site feedback, because this is likely going to become a discussion about the rules.

Unneeded messages

On that subject, AWF is back for his monthly visit of pointless comments about how ashamed he is in the WWE folder. I mean, I guess he's on topic and all but that's just one of those posters that somehow irritates me for unexplainable reasons.

Guest College Party

Well, this turned out to be some thread, didn't it. I'm sure you were at least happy that you could point out two "bad decisions" in one day, though. That doesn't happen often!

So is this your new, new gimmick now?

You talk as if you weren't someone that admitted this was a terrible idea yesterday and you simply wanted a way out that wouldn't make you lose face.

And weren't you just a mod, like, three weeks ago? So why are you trying to portray yourself as one of the oppressed when you were the one to volunteer to step down from your title?

No, I stand by the fact it was a bad idea. That never changed. The problem lies elsewhere. I did entertain the thought of a way out, but that was not how this was presented to me at all. I was specifically told "the others decided to tell you to stop. it's a team thing." If it really was a way out that you guys wanted to give me so bad, I believe the mod in question would have said, "hey, we're going to give you a way out."

I'm not on some crusade to make the mods look bad, NYU. The fact of the matter is, it was retarded to classify that as spam, and by following the answers that 909 gave, any posts that is unneeded is spam. I was making a point. The talk of gimmicks outside of NSFW is cute considering Czech "spammed" the board as ForumPro. What it boils down to is this thing wasn't liked, so it was stopped. If that would have been the reason given, I wouldn't have cared two shits. Basically, who you mods crappin?***

***Not all mods.

Guest College Party

Ugh, go back to posting one word at a time, Jesus fucking Christ.

I don't want to do that. You know I am not bitching about whether I am able to do that or not. I explained my stance.

What it boils down to is this thing wasn't liked, so it was stopped.

Actually, I liked it.

Guest Vitamin X

Does anyone remember Seven Word Bandit? (Or was it five? three? I forget, but I'm pretty sure it was seven) That was a good, pretty creative gimmick. This thread reminded me of him temporarily, but then it got all off course with the bickering. I don't think Dandy was spamming, as he wasn't postwhoring EVERYWHERE with the one word thing, and I don't think I'd even notice it if it wasn't for this thread and all the talk I heard from the other mods.

Whatever, guys. Let's just all get along, shall we? This is ridiculous.

It was 7 word bandit. I always thought it was a Kinetic gimmick. It was always executed well.

Random Trivia---While revamping the main page for TSMpedia, someone requested that I add gimmick accounts as a category. I put 7 Word Bandit on there and edited his profile to say "His posts always consisted of seven words." I thought it was apropo.