TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewTS

Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe

No, this is not a hoax. It's an actual crossover game (supposedly they're shooting for a T rating and little blood/no gore) featuring a sagging franchise desperately trying to be relevant...and...another sagging franchise desperately trying to be relevant but failing except for Batman.

However, still--Unreal 3 engine! It should look good at least (in a gritty Gears of War way).

Official site (just a splash screen for now) : http://worldscollide.com/

Anya is relishing the meltdown currently going on amongst diehard MK faithful.

Guest Smues

I'm very interested, but the T rating you speak of makes me think it won't be any good. If I can't rip Batman's head off then what is the point?

I'll take this as a chance to play as DC characters in a potentially playable game.

Yeah, I don't really care about the lack of blood and gore, I'm mainly into it because of the DC involvement. I am pessimistic, though. How the hell are they going to handle Flash and Superman?

Now where's my Marvel vs Capcom 3.

I'll take this as a chance to play as DC characters in a potentially playable game.

Justice League Heroes was playable. It was just kind of a crappy version of X-Men Legends.

I am pessimistic, though. How the hell are they going to handle Flash and Superman?

Magic.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/mor...amp;mode=recent

... The game's story is still being kept under wraps but, generally speaking, a cataclysmic event causes the DCU and MK universe to start merging. This provides the perfect setup for the game's story mode, which will offer two perspectives on the situation. You'll be able to play through two separate storylines, one from each side, which lay out what the heck is going on.

The cataclysm in the story is driven by magic, which is a handy device that is tapped for the gameplay. The mystic elements that run through the story help keep the fighting balanced as it helps make a conflict between Superman, whose only vulnerability is magic, and characters like Sub-Zero and Scorpion, actually make some sense

As if sweating the roster and story weren't enough, Boon and his ambitious team have opted to revamp the whole fighting system for MK's next gen debut...The multiple fighting styles and weapon systems from previous games are out, and a more-visceral, brutal approach to fighting is in. MK vs. DCU will introduce several new elements that the team is hoping will make battles more dynamic. The three major ones that are ready to be discussed are Klose Kombat, Freefall Kombat, and stage interaction. Klose Kombat is a mode you'll initiate which pulls in the camera in close and has its own separate mechanics. Basically, when you initiate the mode you'll be the aggressor and your opponent will be on defense. In this closer view you'll be able to attack your foe's upper body with different types of blows for a set period of time, the exact duration of which is still being ironed out. To keep things fair, your opponent will be able to perform a number of different defensive moves to dodge your attacks, provided they're fast.

Freefall Kombat is another change of pace, tied in part to stage interaction. The mode is another player initiated sequence which is kicked off by you flinging your foe off a stage. Unlike previous games you won't just follow them down or watch yourself drop. Instead the camera willl come in and you'll be able to fight on the way down. You'll have a slightly tweaked set of possible attacks in this mode, much like Klose Kombat. From what we've seen, it appears your big motivation in these sequences is to gain the advantage on the way down and land on your opponent, for an added damage bonus. Part of this mode is tied to the stages, which appear to feature a different basic design than the previous games. The fighting areas will be a bit wider, to support throwing your opponent through walls and, in some cases, much taller, to allow enough time for fighting during freefall. Since these new elements should definitely change the flow of battle, the team is spending a lot of time figuring out the right amount of time for them to last. In addition, the fighting moves of the MK cast are getting an upgrade to let them go toe-to-toe with established and powerful characters like Superman. A more potentially controversial change to the system is the game's fatalities. According to Boon, there will definitely be fatality-like finishing moves, but they may not be called fatalities.

Comic fans should be pleased to hear that the team is looking at some of the iconic design work from Alex Ross, and other acclaimed artists who've put a distinctive stamp on the DC heroes, as inspiration. From what we've seen, it's paying off, as some of the unrevealed characters look fantastic. As far as the stages go, you can expect to see a mix of Mortal Kombat's traditional "Outworld" environments and iconic DC locales mixed together to serve the game's story.

I forgot about Heroes. I heard it was merely average, like Batman Begins, but you take what you can get. IIRC it was Batman Vengeance or Rise of Sin Tzu that was about as well received. I haven't played either one anyway, but if there's a Heroes 2 then I would give that a shot.

Magic.

Oh. I mean gameplay wise. I can't see how they can adapt either one properly.

If it can can be as much fun as a Marvel vs Capcom game, I really want this game. However if it plays like Marvel Nemesis...I'm going to be so fucking pist.

I forgot about Heroes. I heard it was merely average, like Batman Begins, but you take what you can get. IIRC it was Batman Vengeance or Rise of Sin Tzu that was about as well received. I haven't played either one anyway, but if there's a Heroes 2 then I would give that a shot.

Magic.

Batman Vengeance was so, so close to being *good* it's pitiful. The fact that they got all of the Batman TAS voice cast on hand, put together some really cool cutscenes, and tied it all together in a well-produced package nearly makes the game worth it by itself.

However, the gameplay misses the mark by quite a bit. The biggest offense is that the batarang is completely worthless and that necessitates you running headlong into gunfire. It's supposed to be used by throwing it *at a gun-holder's hand* to disarm them. That's it. You can't throw it at their head, back or waist and do anything. Plus, there's no auto-lock for their hands. You have to go into FPS mode, manually aim, and throw. If you're too far, you'll probably miss (but they could still hit you). If you're close enough to actually hit their hands, just jump kick them or beat the hell out of them. The batgrapple controls were nifty and the actual melee combat was okay. It's worth picking up now for a few bucks, but the cutscenes are by far the best part. The controls feel a little loose and sloppy, but the cape glide helps alleviate that a bit.

Sin Tzu is a beat 'em up, and a mediocre one at that. It has the good cutscenes and voice acting like in Vengeance (it's also from Ubisoft and may have been the same team), and you can buy more moves and upgrade abilities, but there's nothing exceptional about it at all. Plus, God Hand has made nearly every 3D beat 'em up obsolete. I'd much rather play Final Fight Streetwise over Sin Tzu anyday--it's not nearly as tedious.

I played enough of Justice League Heroes to feel satisfied with it. I liked what I played, but I just didn't feel the need to play 3-4 more levels of it. It's solid, but not exceptional.

Batman Vengeance and Rise of Sin Tzu are completely different on GBA. Vengeance is a crappy wannabe of Adventures of Batman and Robin on SNES (it even tried to rip off Trouble in Transit with a Spy-Hunter style level), and Sin Tzu is a pretty darn good platformer/action game.

The same way Capcom did for X-Men vs. Street Fighter.

In addition, the fighting moves of the MK cast are getting an upgrade to let them go toe-to-toe with established and powerful characters like Superman.

You know, personally I'd kinda like to see a Smash Bros- or Jump Superstars-style for DC Heroes. I dunno why, but it feels like that system work the best for the whole thing. *Shrugs*

At any rate, I'll be excited to see what they do with the Green Lanterns.

Wow, that looks awesome!

I demand a Babality where you turn Batman back into a child and then shoot his parents infront of him.

batmanrp7.jpg

Bump.

Was reading up on this...apparently, the MK characters DO still use their fatalites. DC Heroes just pummel people unconscious. I think DC Villains have fatalites too, but not certain.

Also, renders of the four announced DC characters in the game:

Superman

Batman

Catwoman

The Flash

Also, there's a rumor Lobo might be in the game...

EDIT: Just re-read...Captain Marvel is also a confirmed character for the game.

Guest Smues

Yeah MK characters have fatalities, so my desire to rip Batman's head off may be fulfilled, meaning I'll get this game. I don't expect this to be a blow away awesome game, but if they can make the combat just passably decent it'll be well worth it for the characters.

Yeah MK characters have fatalities, so my desire to rip Batman's head off may be fulfilled, meaning I'll get this game. I don't expect this to be a blow away awesome game, but if they can make the combat just passably decent it'll be well worth it for the characters.

If the head-ripping-off is a fatality...I wonder if they'll have a special animation when used against masked heroes where you remove their mask after ripping off the head.

Don't expect dismemberment or head ripping. I saw a few fatalities already:

http://www.gamespot.com/video/943566/61942...stage-show-demo

Superman has Sheeva's "pound you into the ground like a spike" finish, and Scorp takes off his mask and lights you on fire, but there's no explosion/bones, you just fall down.

There's a *lot* of recycled moves. Supes has ice breath that basically works like Sub's freeze, Flash has a Kabal style dash, Batman smokebomb teleports, etc.

Basically, if you can think of a move in the older games that would be logical for one of the DC characters to do, bet on it being here.

So, Wonder Woman having you GET OVER HERE with her golden lasso or something--well, bet on it. :P Although they'll probably try to reuse moves for MIA characters. I larf at the notion that the animation is ground-up new for this game.

Was kinda hoping that the second Scorpion/Flash match would show Flash's special...but I guess they wanted to save some stuff.

EDIT: Also, since Cap-Mar is in in the game...I could picture his finisher being lifting the opponent up, yelling SHAZAM, and letting the lightning bolt strike that person.

EDIT 2: Shazam, bitches.

Guest Smues

Well that's sad, but I guess lighting Batman on fire will be good enough.

Well that's sad, but I guess lighting Batman on fire will be good enough.

What is your vendetta against Batman?

Guest Smues

I don't really know. I've never been a huge fan of Batman, but for some reason ever since this game was announced I've just had the massive urge to kill him over and over. Hopefully when the game comes out I get it out of my system.

Next they need to do Mortal Kombat vs. World Wrestling Entertainment. Ripping off HHH's head would NEVER get old.

How about a rehash of the previous PS2 games, in case you missed them?

Er, I mean, re-release: http://kotaku.com/5029291/mortal-kombat-ko...n-coming-to-ps2

And back on topic, Joker and Green Lantern are confirmed, along with Jax and Kitana.

No word on which GL.

http://kotaku.com/5029247/green-lantern-jo...niverse-line-up

Ed Boon from Midway and Jimmy Palmiotti of DC Comics announced four new additions to the Mortal Kombat Vs. DC Universe roster at Comic-Con today, including Green Lantern and The Joker from the DC side, with Jax and Kitana returning on the MK side. Boon also announced that Mr. Palmiotti himself would be squirreled away in the game as an unlockable character. He'd be very well hidden, Boon said, with a Johnny Cage-like model shown on screen.

SWEET! Captan Marvel is in the game! I am so going to use the Kingdom Come style attack to all my opponets.