TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Carnival

Atmosphere

Any fans? If so you might want to check this out.

I think it's ok so far.

I'm not really diggin it too much. WAY too slow of a tempo. What is he? The "311" of rap?

This is something of a new sound for Atmosphere. In the past, Slug has often rapped angrily about a girl named Lucy which earned him the label of 'emo rap.' I disagreed with that label, but whatever. There have also been guitar-riffs and live instrumentation used considerably over the last few years. This seems to be a move, if only for this one album, towards a more cohesive "jazz" sound. This album reminds me of Jack Kerouac reading over Steve Allen's piano and I really like it.

How did I not see this thread before? I have heard a couple songs, but not the whole album. Thanks, Ethan!

Also, Atmosphere is great. And unlike most hip hop acts, they are amazing live.

I'm sorry, but how any human rap fan can dislike atmosphere is BEYOND me.

Atmosphere is great. Really one of the few remaining things that hip hop has going for itself. Haven't heard anything beyond You Can't Imagine How Much Fun We're Having, though I really thought that album was a weak effort.

Overcast! is just an indie rap masterpiece, and Seven's Travels is even better in some ways.

I haven't checked out any of Slug's side projects yet. Anybody know if they're any good?

i think people's judgments about atmosphere pretty much summarizes their musical tastes. bad/good. matt young chiming in only solidofies that point. and carnival. i forgot about him. just awful.

psssh they haven't done a Lillith Fair in like ten years. You got to update your insults, Cheesla!

By that same logic shouldn't you ask erm... that GUY to change his sig? The song is kind of old I'm told.

Insults? Pffft. I was just busting balls. But thanks for helping out.

I've been stuck listening to the song "You" quite a bit. A strong hook and a tight bassline. Me likes.