TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

Fuck Apple

Bet some of you didn't ever expect to see this thread.

Last night right after the GSP/Serra fight my connection cut out. No big deal. I reset my router. Didn't work. Reset the cable. Didn't work. So I restart my computer and now all of a sudden I have "no airport card installed." I googled this problem (on my damn phone) and see that it's happening to tons of people after upgrading to Leopard. Well - it just happened to me completely out of the blue.

I call Apple support and they give me some restart tips to maybe get it to work. All these things accomplished was also wrecking my speakers, which now also no longer work.

I go to Best Buy - buy an external hard-drive...back up the entire system. Erase and re-install Leopard as a last resort and still nothing. So the hardware for my internet and sound just spontaneously fried. I was this close to selling my MacBook on eBay and going back to PC but wait - I used Time Machine to back up all my files - so if I ever want to see any of my music/photos or school documents ever again I need to suck it up and pay the $400 to get this shit fixed because Time Machine backed up files are only Mac compatible!

I'm not sure if I'm just whining or not but my god, I'm so angry about this right now.

Make a tech support appointment and take it to an Apple store. They might be able to help you.

I was initially surprised to read that Time Machine backups don't create a file you can use on a different computer, but then again, AAC doesn't play on a Zune.

Guest Vitamin X

Mik, when you need some help getting some tips on going back to a PC, let us know. I'll be glad to help.

Well, it's going to the Apple Store today but it's already done. He told me over the phone that if the stuff he recommended didn't work then the only thing they could do was replace the hardware.

The nearest apple store is over an hour away so just another headache.

I wish Steve Jobs was here right now so I could fellate him and thank him for all the work that he has done for this country.

Guest Danny Dubya v 2.0

You'd be surprised at the number of people that claim to use OS X just because it's UNIX-like under the hood and they can still hold onto all their favorite apps.

And indeed, fuck those hipster duopolists. Though I do thank their Webkit people for putting pressure on Firefox to perform better. But that's about it.

Did you upgrade to Leopard or Archive and Install to Leopard? The upgrade has the ability to fuck things up on an epic scale.

What kind of resets did you do before the speakers went out?

I say "Fuck Apple" like everyday.

Yeah because a PC never breaks down or anything...

And $400 for speakers and the airport? Just buy some external speakers and a USB Adapter. Bang, you have sound and internet for about $60.00.

At my university I knew so many hippy dumbshits who would rail against the capitalist way and decry conspicuous consumption. But then show up with a brand new overpriced Apple laptop each year bought to them by their rich parents and cart around like 12 fucking iPods.

Yes, I know I added nothing to this thread.

Even more now -

I'm currently in a lab full of middle school kids trying to get a fucking QuickTime plugin to work properly. After a period's worth of painful scrambling, it turns out the site can't handle 30 comps from a middle school going there. Seriously.

Fuck Apple AND WGBH.

Fuck windows while we're at it.

Mole, both of those items sort of defeat the purpose of a laptop. I'm not carrying around external speakers and a USB wireless card.

Either way - I dropped it off two days ago. It's already been mailed to Texas, repaired, and on its way back to me via FedEx, so don't fuck Apple in that regard.

Andrew - I have no idea what happened. I upgraded to Leopard directly when it came out but it wasn't a software issue. My logicboard was fried. I have no idea how it happened. But I exhausted all the software possibilities and none of those "fixes" worked for me.

Either way, I'm happy now. Don't fuck Apple.

They don't cost 400 dollars to repair or anything though.

Hell, you can buy a new one for 400 bucks. 400 bucks on a mac gets you a mouse.

Mole, both of those items sort of defeat the purpose of a laptop. I'm not carrying around external speakers and a USB wireless card.

Well, the speakers yes, but not the USB card. They are about 2 inches long.

Yeah, but it's a piece of crap and you'll be buying another one in 2 months.

I have never had a PC for under 4 years. And that whole "easily upgradeable" thing rules.

Macs are pretty pc's that cost more with less software

In terms of hardware, there really isn't much different. Only Macs cost twice as much for the same performance. And are prettier. And not as upgradeable.

All that's pretty true. I think I've said it before, but I really only choose a Mac because of the OS. I prefer it to Windows that much that it's worth whatever premium I pay on top of the PC. Security and effortless use would probably be a distant second.

FWIW, I'm typing this on my own computer which I dropped off in Syracuse on early Monday. It got delivered to me, fixed, at 9:30 AM this morning. Less than 48 hour turnaround from Syracuse to Texas back to me in Ithaca, including repairs.

Guest Vitamin X

You do get pretty good customer service for the money, I'll give Apple that. Their so-called "geniuses" in the stores are anything but, however.

The chain of command for me pretty much goes:

Windows XP > Ubuntu or OpenSUSE >OSX > Leopard > Vista. I think most other knowledgeable PC folks feel the same way.

As for Apple fanboys bitching about a PC's durability- *guffaw*. Listen, I don't mind Apple products and all, and I think they're great for looking all. But Apple is just a fashion statement- Windows are made for getting anything done. The only people who get shit happen to them have a. bad hardware b. don't take care of their PCs (and considering the PC market is so much larger than the Apple one, there's more likely to be malware plus incidents occuring) c. Go for the cheapest shit possible, and pay for it in the end. I could build an XP or even Vista machine that's six times better than any iMac for the same price.

Andrew - I have no idea what happened. I upgraded to Leopard directly when it came out but it wasn't a software issue. My logicboard was fried. I have no idea how it happened. But I exhausted all the software possibilities and none of those "fixes" worked for me.

I knew it wasn't, I was just hoping to get a better idea of what happened. However, often the upgraded OS doesn't play well with the upgrading System files, and you end up having to Archive anyway. I've run into cases where some resets will pick up an Airport card that isn't being recognized. Honestly, they probably should have gone straight to the Apple Hardware Test based on the original symptoms.

Either way, I'm happy now. Don't fuck Apple.

There's always room for Fuck Apple!

As for Apple fanboys bitching about a PC's durability- *guffaw*. Listen, I don't mind Apple products and all, and I think they're great for looking all. But Apple is just a fashion statement- Windows are made for getting anything done. The only people who get shit happen to them have a. bad hardware b. don't take care of their PCs (and considering the PC market is so much larger than the Apple one, there's more likely to be malware plus incidents occuring) c. Go for the cheapest shit possible, and pay for it in the end. I could build an XP or even Vista machine that's six times better than any iMac for the same price.

So true. Hell, screw building your own--if you go to any reputable manufacturer's site, and Configure to Order, you'll be able to put together a machine with superior specs to any comparably-priced Mac for about half the price. Hardware craps out, though, no matter who makes it.

The antivirus stuff is honestly 90% Security Through Obscurity. The "Macs don't crash" myth is one of the biggest loads of bullshit around, though; no matter how you define it.

You do get pretty good customer service for the money, I'll give Apple that. Their so-called "geniuses" in the stores are anything but, however.

There's good and bad, however the geniuses aren't as bad as the dumbshit salesman who either lie their asses off or say something regardless of the actual truth to make a sale. Never, ever listen to a salesman for anything technical.

Guest Vitamin X
The "Macs don't crash" myth is one of the biggest loads of bullshit around, though; no matter how you define it.

osx_crash.jpg

You said it.

mac_crash_2[2].jpg

Man, and when they crash, they crash hard too.

In Washington State - the sales tax alone on a MacBook Air can get you an Asus eeePC tax included. And the eeePC runs more and has extra USB ports to boot! I want one so badly. Swap out linux distros on the fly with 8 gig SD cards? Sign me up!