TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MrRant

The Sonics' Pending Move

I can't speak for Browns fans but as an Oilers fan, the Texans will never... NEVER be the Oilers.

The Oilers were our team, it was the history of Bum Phillips, of "Luv Ya Blue".. hell, of Buddy Ryan decking Kevin Gilbride in the mouth on national television.

They moved and now they're the Titans. Try as hard as they do, the Texans aren't the Oilers. They try all of these "battle red" and "steel blue" days to get the crowd involved, but its forced. I don't need to be told what colors I should wear to a game.

It's not the same though Bro. The Titans took the color/name etc. The Browns still had everything that made them, "The Browns" I think that should Seattle get a similar deal to Cleveland, the naming rights, colors, and a promise that they can have a team within the next x years it'll feel the same to the fans.

I'm not from the area, but I'd nearly forgotten that the Browns moved to Baltimore, I think an expansion Sonics or a relocated team to Seattle five years down the line would lead to the same thing in most fans eyes.

Honestly, I think it's beyond words how fucked up this whole situation truly is.

Correct me if I am wrong here, but wasn't Clay Bennett's arena proposal somewhere in the neighborhood of $500 million? And weren't the Muckleshoot Tribe offering to finance an arena?

How did older Browns fans take the move?

I could see a lot of older fans lose interest because it isn't "their" Sonics. Even if we had kept the Oilers name and colors, I think.. no, I know there would've been a group of fans that wouldn't have supported the team because "their" Oilers play in Tenn. now.

To some of the younger fans, those in the 30's, I could see it not really mattering because they either didn't have enough time to bond with the team or they've got enough time ahead of them to bond with the new iteration of the team.

I could see a lot of older fans lose interest because it isn't "their" Sonics. Even if we had kept the Oilers name and colors, I think.. no, I know there would've been a group of fans that wouldn't have supported the team because "their" Oilers play in Tenn. now.

To some of the younger fans, those in the 30's, I could see it not really mattering because they either didn't have enough time to bond with the team or they've got enough time ahead of them to bond with the new iteration of the team.

A friend of my brother's was a huge Oilers fan, and then he became a Titans fan... but he lives in Vancouver, Washington.

My impression from living in NE Ohio for 4 years is that most pepole are over the move, but pissed off Model's Ravens ended up winning a Super Bowl. Just another chapter in the Cleveland sports curse. By the time I went to school out there in 2001 there seemed to be less hatred towards the Ravens as I felt was justified.

Sonics to give Seattle $75 million to leave.

It also says that Clay wouldn't have to pay the full amount if the city gets another team. Sounds like Seattle keeps the name/history/etc I imagine.

Still, it's a sad day to know that there will not be any Sonics basketball for the immediate future.

I'll miss the calls of SUPER... SONICS by the crowd and Kevin Calabro on the tube.

Wow, the Seattle fans on ESPN.com are downright nasty.

I'm getting tired of people blaming the city as if we're to fault here. Whatever, we showed we're an NBA city already and we'll keep proving it.

Also, I love how the people at ESPN's comment boards make things up. One guy said the Hornets did nothing but complain about OKC. HA! The Hornets loved it here and they'll still say it to this day if asked. Chris Paul always talks about how much he liked OKC. Oh and an official from the Hornets called the radio today to congratulate OKC and talk about how much we deserve this.

What's the word on color scheme and new name for the OKC? If in fact Seattle keeps the colors/naming rights.

There Bennett just said he has reserved the colors and name for a future team in Seattle. He also said they'd leave the original banners and championship trophy behind too.

But, he said OKC will have all the Sonics records and will keep them. But, if a team moves into Seattle they can have the records too. I hope if that happens then OKC drops the history.

Man, so much venom directed at OKC. I love the completely wrong assumption that all NBA players will hate it here and want to leave immediately. :rolleyes:

You can take down your Celtics avatar now.

And why is that? Because I'm happy the Sonics are coming? Does that mean I have to become a Sonics fan? I don't think so. I can just go to enjoy basketball. NBA games are fun to watch, and I'll be going to enjoy a basketball game. I'll also definitely go when the Celtics come to town and be front and center in my Celtics gear.

Oh and Howard Schultz's lawsuit is the biggest crock I've ever seen. He's just trying to save face in the city of Seattle. Bennett's lawyers whipped Seattle's lawyers asses and I hope they do the same to Schultz.

ESPN's Lester Munson thinks Schultz can win, but ESPN has been pretty anti-OKC in this whole deal.

And why is that? Because I'm happy the Sonics are coming? Does that mean I have to become a Sonics fan? I don't think so. I can just go to enjoy basketball. NBA games are fun to watch, and I'll be going to enjoy a basketball game. I'll also definitely go when the Celtics come to town and be front and center in my Celtics gear.

That's what I've got a problem with, personally. You're getting a team..time to support the team and go because you're supporting that team, not because "Oh hey.. there's basketball in town tonight! Let's go down and watch us some roundball.." seriously.

I don't want you to get to Marvin levels..but fuck Boston.. fuck whomever else and just root for the OKC Sonics or whatever they're going to be called.

Yeah.

Fuck that other team in their ear. No matter who it is. Soon as the NFL comes back to LA, the Jags are ditched. If that's the mentality of other Oklahomans...they don't deserve a fucking team. And surely that's most people's problem with this move.

Everyone's mad because of that, and, well, we're talking about the Sonics here. Not some not do a thing club like the Clippers, Grizzlies, or Bobcats. The Sonics are pretty important to the fabric of this league. To see them up and leave is wrong, whether the NBA expands back there or not.

You've got a pro sports team in Oklahoma. Be proud. Support it.

Guest Smues

I'm confused, if you get a local team when you had none you're not allowed to root for the team you've rooted for in the past? If Anchorage magically got a baseball team I'm not going to magically drop the Braves because I suddenly have a team in town. Doesn't mean I wouldn't go to most/all of the games, but they don't get #1 status just by being close by.

In fairness 909, if the NFL comes back to LA, it will probably be the Jaguars.

I think it will. Just sayin' if it wasn't...

Man, I gotta get season tickets.

Oh, tell me how my ass tastes.

I'm excited from a new uniform/logo standpoint. It will be fun for 10-30 games. After that? I hope this franchise fails and Dama gains a bunch of weight or something. Fuck... OKLAHOMA CITY! MEMPHIS! ITS THE NBA ON NBC!

That's what I've got a problem with, personally. You're getting a team..time to support the team and go because you're supporting that team, not because "Oh hey.. there's basketball in town tonight! Let's go down and watch us some roundball.." seriously.

I don't want you to get to Marvin levels..but fuck Boston.. fuck whomever else and just root for the OKC Sonics or whatever they're going to be called.

Ummmm yeah........being a fan of a team doesn't exactly work like that big guy.

I love the Celtics, it's not a switch I can just turn on or off.

Yeah.

Fuck that other team in their ear. No matter who it is. Soon as the NFL comes back to LA, the Jags are ditched. If that's the mentality of other Oklahomans...they don't deserve a fucking team. And surely that's most people's problem with this move.

Everyone's mad because of that, and, well, we're talking about the Sonics here. Not some not do a thing club like the Clippers, Grizzlies, or Bobcats. The Sonics are pretty important to the fabric of this league. To see them up and leave is wrong, whether the NBA expands back there or not.

You've got a pro sports team in Oklahoma. Be proud. Support it.

That's idiotic.

Dama is just supposed to ditch the other team that he's emotionally involved in b/c a new team moved into his state?

He can proud that a team is moving to Oklahoma, yet still root on the Celtics.