TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Boon

The NBA Offseason Thread

He's a legit 6'9. And he'll probably grow to 6'10. His game is centered around the basket. He's strong enough to play in the post, and he's not quick enough to play defense on SFs. You make it sound like he's Kevin Durant. He's like KG's size just a few inches shorter, and KG does fine posting up.

And what I mean by that is that Drew Gooden is a Kevin Garnett type "post" player. yeah, they have their back turned to the basket when they catch the ball, but they are jump shooter or face up, go by the guy players. Niether are the type of post players that you need in Chicago because neither actually demand a double.

Pax knows he can't draft Tyler Hansbrough, right?

I will not renege my stance that this whole system of 1000 number permutations with weighted probabilities taking place in a secret conference room is stupid, and they should just draw index cards out of a sombrero in plain view.

No, that's insanely dumb. The draft is designed to help the worst teams get better, and if the team picking number one has twice as many wins as the team picking number two, there's something fucking wrong with the system.

Beasley won't demand a double?! You're crazy.

I mean, dumb coaches will double him, but no coach worth a damn.

To get doubled you need to be able to dominate. Which is why guys like Garnett doesn't get doubled, because he isn't dominant. Don't get me wrong, I don't think that guy is in this draft.

But Beasley isn't going to be able to back down any PF's in the NBA. He just doesn't have the bulk. He is going to have to face up, take fade aways, and basically out athlete people. And that is the absolute opposite of what the Bulls need.

Wait, how the hell did the Bulls get the #1 pick? After the Bobcats got #9, the guy said this puts the Bulls in the top 3.

How'd that work out?

Um... I THINK that they finished with the 9th worst record, and they only lottery off the top three picks, so once you didn't see Chicago at nine, you knew they had one of those lottery'd picks.

That doesn't make any sense.

Wait, how the hell did the Bulls get the #1 pick? After the Bobcats got #9, the guy said this puts the Bulls in the top 3.

How'd that work out?

Um... I THINK that they finished with the 9th worst record, and they only lottery off the top three picks, so once you didn't see Chicago at nine, you knew they had one of those lottery'd picks.

Sure it does: the actual lottery is to find out who the top three picks will go to. All the rest go in reverse record order. Chicago had the ninth-worst record in the league, which means that:

1) They could have had pick# 1, 2 or 3 by "winning" the lottery,

2) They could have had pick# 10, 11 or 12 in the near-mathematical impossible scenario that three of the teams that finished with better records all "won" the lottery, or

3) They would have had pick# 9.

There was no possible way for them to finish with the 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 13th or 14th picks; they would have either won the lottery, or they would have ended up with the pick their record dictated... unless, as mentioned above, three of the teams that finished 10-14 ended up with the 1st, 2nd and 3rd picks. Which is almost impossible.

Clear as mud?

How'd that work out?

Just because you don't get it doesn't mean it doesn't make any sense.

Unless you're talking about the idea as a whole not being logical... in which case... meh.

How'd that work out?

What doesn't make sense?

Only the top three picks are lotteried. So everything from 4-14 is descending order from team's record. ie if the worst team in the league doesn't get a top 3 pick, they get #4.

Who do the Bulls currently have at point? It'd be cool to have D-Rose play his home team

How'd that work out?

Unless you're talking about the idea as a whole not being logical... in which case... meh.

It didn't make sense to me because I didn't know just the top 3 were the lottery. I thought there was more to it. That is all.

Thanks.

Who do the Bulls currently have at point? It'd be cool to have D-Rose play his home team

Wilbon was all about that on PTI. But it didn't make much sense because even though Hinrich had a horrible year, he isn't that bad.

Guest Desensitized

I will not renege my stance that this whole system of 1000 number permutations with weighted probabilities taking place in a secret conference room is stupid, and they should just draw index cards out of a sombrero in plain view.

No, that's insanely dumb. The draft is designed to help the worst teams get better, and if the team picking number one has twice as many wins as the team picking number two, there's something fucking wrong with the system.

The draft is designed to help bad teams get better, but the lottery is designed to prevent teams from tanking for draft position. Right now, there's a lottery to determine the top three picks, but it still rewards teams for tanking by giving them a better chance to get a top pick. It's a compromise that totally undermines the premise of having a lottery in the first place. They got it right the first time: just draw the teams in reverse order. Either you just give the worst team the first pick and so on down the line, or you go back to a true lottery. Pick a lane.

Guest Desensitized

The draft is designed to help bad teams get better, but the lottery is designed to prevent teams from tanking for draft position. Right now, there's a lottery to determine the top three picks, but it still rewards teams for tanking by giving them a better chance to get a top pick. It's a compromise that totally undermines the premise of having a lottery in the first place. They got it right the first time: just draw the teams in reverse order. Either you just give the worst team the first pick and so on down the line, or you go back to a true lottery. Pick a lane.

How'd that work out?

It didn't make sense to me because I didn't know just the top 3 were the lottery. I thought there was more to it. That is all.

Thanks.

Wilbon was all about that on PTI. But it didn't make much sense because even though Hinrich had a horrible year, he isn't that bad.

He ain't that good either. Rose looks like he could be better...now.

Guest Desensitized

Yeah, John Paxson's cabana boy can feel free to move on. He's not a piece of a winning puzzle at all.

Trade him to the Heat for their 2011 1st round pick and Ricky Davis. Then have the Bulls take a restraining order out on Ricky D from coming within two miles of their locker room.

I'm amazed the Bucks didn't end up #2 behind the Bulls, just to further bury the Pacers in the Central. This sucks

OK, here is the first mock from Chad Ford.

1. Chicago - Michael Beasley, PF/6-10/235/19/Kansas St.

2. Miami - Derrick Rose, PG/6-3/205/19/Memphis

3. Minnesota - Brook Lopez, C/7-0/260/20/Stanford

4. Seattle - Jerryd Bayless, PG/6-3/190/19/Arizona

5. Memphis - O.J. Mayo, SG/6-4/195/20/USC

6. New York - Danilo Gallinari, SF/6-9/212/19/Italy

7. LA Clippers - Russell Westbrook, PG/6-3/189/19/UCLA

8. Milwaukee - Eric Gordon, SG/6-4/215/19/Indiana

9. Charlotte - Kevin Love, PF/6-10/275/19/UCLA

10. New Jersey - Anthony Randolph, PF/6-11/220/18/LSU

11. Indiana - D.J. Augustin, PG/6-0/180/20/Texas

12. Sacramento - Darrell Arthur, PF/6-10/225/20/Kansas

13. Portland - Joe Alexander, SF/6-8/220/21/West Virginia

14. Golden State - DeAndre Jordan, C/7-0/255/20/Texas A&M

15. Phoenix (from Atlanta) - Donte Greene, SF/6-10/225/20/Syracuse

16. Philadelphia - Marreese Speights, C/6-10/245/19/Florida

17. Toronto - Robin Lopez, C/7-0/245/20/Stanford

18. Washington - JaVale McGee, PF/7-0/237/20/Nevada

19. Cleveland - Kosta Koufos, C/7-0/265/19/Ohio St.

20. Denver - Ty Lawson, PG/5-11/195/20/North Carolina

21. New Jersey (from Dallas) - Chase Budinger, SG/6-7/205/20/Arizona

22. Orlando - Brandon Rush, SG/6-7/205/22/Kansas

23. Utah - Roy Hibbert, C/7-2/275/21/Georgetown

24. Seattle (from Phoenix) - Serge Ibaka, PF/6-10/220/18/Congo

25. Houston - J.J. Hickson, PF/6-9/240/19/NC State

26. San Antonio - Nicolas Batum, SF/6-8/210/19/France

27. New Orleans - Bill Walker, SF/6-6/235/20/Kansas St.

28. Memphis (from LA Lakers) - Nathan Jawai, PF/6-10/270/21/Australia

29. Detroit - Chris Douglas-Roberts, SG/6-6/195/21/Memphis

30. Boston - Ante Tomic, C/7-2/237/21/Croatia

D'Antoni choosing the Bulls over the Knicks looks even more ridiculous now.

Unless Lebron can be had in two years.

The two teams that would also be attractive for James would be New Jersey and Chicago. The Knicks better be on the cusp of something success-wise when they make a pitch for LeBron, or they're going to be left in the dust by Jersey and Chicago's rebuilding projects.

EDIT: I think it was Pat Forde who just mentioned Durant, Gay and Wade being "mesmerized" by Jay-Z's presence at the lottery.

Guest Desensitized

After last year's debacle, I wouldn't be shocked to see Paxson draft Kevin Love #1 overall.

It doesn't matter, though. I don't think Rose or Beasley is the type of transcendent player that can bring the Bulls back out of the doldrums in one year. Don't forget, this team still doesn't have a coach yet. I expect the draft to be mishandled, the coach to be inadequate, ticket prices to be raised, national coverage scaled back, and anything else that the Bulls can do to piss off the fanbase. I expect another lost season in which the Bulls become a complete afterthought. The Black Hawks will be the hotter ticket next season.

I was gonna say, I'd be hard-pressed to find a team who's more likely to screw up the #1 pick than the Bulls this year. Normally I'd default to Minnesota, but it would have been easy even for them this year.

Guest Desensitized

I'm still keeping an eye out for Hansbrough changing his mind about college. Tell me why I shouldn't.

I'm still keeping an eye out for Hansbrough changing his mind about college. Tell me why I shouldn't.

I think it's too late to enter the draft