TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Boon

The NBA Offseason Thread

If anything I think what Brand did was actually worse because he essentially destroyed the Clips by agreeing to opt out so that the team could sign Baron, then when they did he bailed on them for about the same money, and then Maggette left right afterwards. Had Brand not opted out, the team would be in a much better position. What's up with the Dukies not being loyal to their word on these things?

I've been hearing on the radio people comparing the Elton Brand stuff to what Carlos Boozer did to the Cavs a few years ago. Difference is, while it is sort of odd that he would leave after seemingly opting out to allow them room to sign Davis, Brand did have the right to opt out of his contract. Boozer was still on his rookie deal, and it was the team that held the option there. They had apparently worked out a handshake deal or something, where the team would let Boozer out and then sign him to a long-term deal, and then Boozer turned around and took a bigger offer from the Jazz. Which I've never really thought less of him for, but I guess I can see why people would. I just don't think Boozer and Brand are the same situation.

Well, it's not quite as cut and dry as you make it sound. Elton Brand did hold the option to opt out, but he told the team when he opted out that he'd accept less than a max deal if they were able to get another star player. They were able to do that after he seemingly convinced Baron Davis to bolt from a playoff team to come to town. Then he bailed on both Davis and LA at the last possible moment. According to an article from Yahoo Sports today, he didn't give the Clippers a chance to match the deal offered by Philly (which Sterling would have done).

But hey, at least he didn't fuck over a blind guy on the way out of town. That Coach K sure pumps out some respectable kids, no?

Guest !!!

Well, we know what a respectable guy Coach K is.

He's actually a cocksucking piece of shit!

I've been hearing on the radio people comparing the Elton Brand stuff to what Carlos Boozer did to the Cavs a few years ago. Difference is, while it is sort of odd that he would leave after seemingly opting out to allow them room to sign Davis, Brand did have the right to opt out of his contract. Boozer was still on his rookie deal, and it was the team that held the option there. They had apparently worked out a handshake deal or something, where the team would let Boozer out and then sign him to a long-term deal, and then Boozer turned around and took a bigger offer from the Jazz. Which I've never really thought less of him for, but I guess I can see why people would. I just don't think Boozer and Brand are the same situation.

Well, it's not quite as cut and dry as you make it sound. Elton Brand did hold the option to opt out, but he told the team when he opted out that he'd accept less than a max deal if they were able to get another star player. They were able to do that after he seemingly convinced Baron Davis to bolt from a playoff team to come to town. Then he bailed on both Davis and LA at the last possible moment. According to an article from Yahoo Sports today, he didn't give the Clippers a chance to match the deal offered by Philly (which Sterling would have done).

But hey, at least he didn't fuck over a blind guy on the way out of town. That Coach K sure pumps out some respectable kids, no?

Also the Boozer deal was Cleveland trying to pull shenanigans with a "nod and a wink" deal that was the Cavs attempt at working the system. The system just worked them instead.

I just read that the Clippers renounced their rights to Livingston too. Baron Davis must be thrilled about his decision to leave the Warriors.

I just read that the Clippers renounced their rights to Livingston too. Baron Davis must be thrilled about his decision to leave the Warriors.

I read that as well. It's amazing how much the Clippers have exploded this season.

Fun Fact....in the 27 years that Donald Sterling has owned the Clippers, they have only been in the playoffs 4 times.

To be fair, who knows if Livingston will ever be a factor in the league again after his injury.

To be fair, who knows if Livingston will ever be a factor in the league again after his injury.

I'm sure he won't. That was a sick injury. But with losing Brand and Magette, and acknowledging that Livingston is done, what else can go wrong?

Two things:

1 - The Clippers had to renounce their rights to Livingston to have enough money to pay Baron and make an offer to another free agent (originally Brand, but now Smith or Okafor). Davis had to know that long before he signed on.

2 - Livingston would have been on the hook for something like $5 or $6 million dollars this year and he still hasn't received a medical clearance to play. He is still working with the team and will likely sign a one-year deal at a discount while he trys to rehab his knee. The likelihood of him coming back to contribute is very slim though. I don't think there are many people who think he'll ever make it back.

Some tidbits from HoopsHype:

Roger Mason Jr. has agreed to a 2-year deal with the Spurs.

Dee Brown signs a two-year offer sheet with the Wizards.

And good news, Ripper...Tyronn Lue says he may be signing with the Suns!

Considering that they could/should have cut bait on him last year, I don't see the benefit of doing it now especially when they've already lost two of their starters. This is looking like a team that will struggle to win 20 games next season at this point. If Josh Smith goes there he's a moron because Atlanta is a playoff team while the Clips will be picking in the top 5 next year and the year after that and the one after that.

Well, Rick Sund came in and decided that apparently a 37 win team was PERFECT as he retained all the players (minus Salim Stoudimire) and the coaches. With Woodson at the helm, they might not be a playoff team again. But yeah, he would be dumb to go to the clippers.

Although I think Okafor might go and that will get the Clipps some more wins before he and Kaman run into each other and miss the rest of the season.

While I don't think the Clippers will be great, if Mike Dunleavy opens up the offense with Baron, Thorton, Gordon...*talks under his breath* mobley and tim thomas...I think they could be okay.

I mean a starting line up of Kaman Thomas, Thorton, Mobley(to start off the year) and Davis isn't that bad. Better than the Ellis, Maggette, Jackson, Harrington, Biedriens(maybe) lineup they will be troting out in Oakland.

And yeah Al, I saw that Tyronne Lue story...well at least they have a guy that will ONLY pass to Shaq...because that is what they needed....a slow, can't play D on anyone, over dribble the ball without doing anything give the ball only to one guy back up point guard.

According to the Sacramento Bee, an Odom-for-Artest swap has been put on the table by the Lakers. They said the Kings had not responded yet as of Tuesday night, but would likely try to get the Lakers to take on Kenny Thomas's salary, as well.

Didn't the Maloofs once nix a deal involving Mike Bibby because they didn't want to do business with the Lakers?

Nick (NYC): With Elton Brand's departure from the Clippers, Zach Randolph's stock just went up. Can you see Randolph going there for maybe Eric Gordon, DeAndre Jordan, and cash? Remember Clips are under the cap so they don't have to match salaries.

:lol:

Guest !!!

Dee Brown is still around! Awesome.

The heart and soul of the Illini team that almost won it all but didn't!

Nick (NYC): With Elton Brand's departure from the Clippers, Zach Randolph's stock just went up. Can you see Randolph going there for maybe Eric Gordon, DeAndre Jordan, and cash? Remember Clips are under the cap so they don't have to match salaries.

Take away the Gordon part, and honestly it would make the Clippers a better team. Zach randolph or Tim Thomas....I mean I think that is a no brainer

Actually, I think if the Clippers could lure Okafor away from Charlotte, and use part of their MLE (if they have it, I don't know) to sign a solid swingman off the bench to replace Maggette, they wouldn't be too much worse off. It wouldn't have to be a guy as good as Maggette, I think someone like Fred Jones would be adequate. Or maybe Bonzi Wells, although that would be a higher risk because of the baggage he carries.

I think Randolf is a better option than Okafor since, you know, he is going to get hurt again. and again. And then somemore after that.

Take away the Gordon part, and honestly it would make the Clippers a better team. Zach randolph or Tim Thomas....I mean I think that is a no brainer

Well, obviously. I was more laughing at the Knick fan thinking they could actually dump Randolph's contract on the Clippers and get back two lottery talents in return.

EDIT: And yes, I know Jordan was drafted in the second round, but he was projected as a top 10 pick early on, and wound up slipping because of character issues or something.

Dee Brown is still around! Awesome.

The heart and soul of the Illini team that almost won it all but didn't!

It's not the Dee Brown that did the Cover His Eyes Dunk back in the day, like Czech said its a different one.

According to the Sacramento Bee, an Odom-for-Artest swap has been put on the table by the Lakers. They said the Kings had not responded yet as of Tuesday night, but would likely try to get the Lakers to take on Kenny Thomas's salary, as well.

Didn't the Maloofs once nix a deal involving Mike Bibby because they didn't want to do business with the Lakers?

Kenny Thomas can replace Ronny Turiaf.

Kenny Thomas can replace Ronny Turiaf.

kennythomas.jpg

No way. Ronny could never pump his own gas.

jwest is an Illini fan, I think?

Yeah. I don't really pay as much attention to basketball as I do baseball or football, so I guess I kind of figured he was out of the league by now. I'm happy to see he's at least on a team, even if he's pretty much a career bench warmer.