TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Boon

The NBA Offseason Thread

Imagine how bad the Nuggets' defense is going to look now. I understand this was a salary move, but wtf, Denver.

Seriously, Camby was the second worse defender on the team behind Anthony. He really really REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY sucks defensively.

So the Clippers basically traded Brand and Maggette for Baron Davis and Marcus Camby. I would have done that deal in a second.

So they traded a fragile guard that doesn't play D and feels he should be a centerpiece in the offense for a fragile big man that doesn't play defense that feels he should be a bigger part of the offense....

I give you Brand/Davis...maybe (although Brand > Davis and I love Baron Davis) but maggette for Camby is a pretty lateral move.

Do people realize how HORRIBLE that frontline is going to be defensively now. Stat people will see "hey, they have the number one and number two shotblockers in the league". People that have watched them play will know that opposing big men are going to average 80 points a game against them next year.

Camby is not as good as he once was, but at least he is a bandage on the hemorrhaging wound that is the Clippers franchise.

The trade is actually for the right to swap second-rounders, so the Nuggets aren't even getting an extra pick out of it.

What happened with the Clippers' talks with Okafor? I still think he would have been a better option than the much older Camby.

Ripper is emphatic about Camby being a shitty defender, and it's just not true. Eddy Curry is a shitty defender. Camby has long, disruptive arms and is a GREAT weakside/help shot blocker. He's stronger than he looks, but he's not strong enough to be a great low post defender. He's got good timing and some burst making plays on the ball, but he's not laterally quick enough to be a great rotational defender. But he is a great shotblocker with long arms and a great instinct for the ball, and that alone makes him a positive contributer on the defensive end. And he's a great defensive rebounder.

You don't think the fact that NOBODY played perimeter defense for the last couple years didn't expose Camby's weaknesses to the highest degrees possible? When you ask a guy to be the sole protector of the rim, the primary rebounder, account for the other team's best inside player AND make rotations to the outside when guys get lost on screens, of course he's going to get beat a lot, it's too much to ask of all but a few players. Camby should be planted underneath to challenge at the rim and grab boards, he shouldn't be asked to do much of anything else, and whether it was personnel or the fact that Karl hasn't managed to put together a good team defense in a dozen years, don't put all that on Camby.

And for a second round pick? What a ridiculous deal for LA. Even if you have questions about how well him and Kaman will be together, which I do, that's a steal of a trade.

Denver should seriously consider giving up and rebuilding immediately, I can't foresee them being a contender before Iverson is over the hill, might as well trade him before he loses his shit, and trade Anthony before he has another thuggish incident (underground gangster rap video, marijuana, on court fight, DUI....we're probably looking at a gun charge, stat rape/infidelity or the first NBA steroid bust next) and the Nuggets fans turn on him.

I don't feel like getting in an argument about it, seeing as I stated my point all throughout the season about how bad Denver's defense was and was proven right...

But Camby and Kaman both cannot guard a Western Conference center. They aren't a good defensive team with or without Camby. It's a good trade still, just not a trade that helps them on the defensive end in any way. Can't wait to play them.

Just have to remember that they only gave the right to swap picks.

The trade is actually for the right to swap second-rounders, so the Nuggets aren't even getting an extra pick out of it.

What happened with the Clippers' talks with Okafor? I still think he would have been a better option than the much older Camby.

I think that the Clippers didn't want to waste all their salary cap to sign Smith or Okafor ( since that would have probably been the only way they could get them) because they really aren't worth it. Plus the Clippers only have like 8 or 9 players under contract and need money to sign other players. Also with Thomas, Mobley and Camby coming off the books in 2010 the Clippers will have a shot to go after the big guns during that summer.

Not a bad move for the Clippers. They're better with Camby than they were without him. It's been such a topsy turvy summer for the Clippers, so for them to get something out of the whole Brand-departure is something at least.

Ripper is emphatic about Camby being a shitty defender, and it's just not true. Eddy Curry is a shitty defender. Camby has long, disruptive arms and is a GREAT weakside/help shot blocker. He's stronger than he looks, but he's not strong enough to be a great low post defender. He's got good timing and some burst making plays on the ball, but he's not laterally quick enough to be a great rotational defender. But he is a great shotblocker with long arms and a great instinct for the ball, and that alone makes him a positive contributer on the defensive end. And he's a great defensive rebounder.

You know who else is a great weakside shotblocker and defensive rebounder? Amare Stoudimire. Do you realize how much he sucks defensively?

Camby's shotblocking is window dressing. This is basketball. You have to actually defend instead of just going for a block on the weakside 5-6 times a game. Like guys like Kaman, Amare, Eddy Curry and Andew Bogut, he just WATCHES the pick and role. LIke if his man sets the pick, he seriously doesn't even try. He does this lame step out thing and just watches his man go to the rim and score. Its pathetic to watch. Bogut does it in spurts now. Amare does it until he feels like playing D. Camby and Kaman will do that shit from tip off till game on the line.

Camby can't guard back to the basket guys. They back him down and score. Easily. Like, as if a guard is on him. He is a BAD low post defender. He can't defend face up bigs. they just go right by him like he is standing in cement.

The only thing Camby's time in denver has done is inflate his shot block numbers because of bad perimeter D. Camby is a monster defensive rebounder, a shakey offensive player(one that feels he should take more shots) and a bad defender.

I do agree though, for a second round pick, its a steal. If nothing else, it will make Clippers fans feel a little better. Until the season starts.

You know, I too have a game that involves little other than making wide-open threes. Too bad I'm not friends with LeBron James, maybe I could have got a five-year contract like Daniel Gibson did today.

The big loser in this deal may be the Hawks' Smith. A restricted free agent, Smith has seen the market for his services dry up quickly. Philadelphia was believed to be the front-runner, but the Sixers pivoted and spent their money on Brand. After dining with Clippers coach Mike Dunleavy last week, it appeared the Clippers were preparing to make an offer. But in trading for Camby, they can no longer come close to offering Smith the kind of megadeal he's seeking.

Smith's options are now limited. Memphis is the only team with enough free-agent money to make a serious offer, but the Grizzlies recently made a commitment to Marc Gasol and have given no indication that they are interested in Smith.

The Hawks would likely raise the five-year, $45 million offer that Smith turned down last summer, but money will not be the only factor in the 22-year-old power forward's returning to Atlanta. As I reported in Sports Illustrated during last season, league sources said Smith would not be interested in returning to the Hawks if the team retained coach Mike Woodson, who recently signed a two-year extension. The two have butted heads frequently in Smith's four seasons, and sources said the relationship is beyond repair. With a dearth of offers, Smith may change his tune, but having a volatile relationship on such a young team may not be in the Hawks' best interests.

A more appealing, but less plausible scenario could be for Smith to sign the one-year qualifying offer with Atlanta and try his luck in free agency next season. But after putting up staggering numbers last season (17.2 points, 6.2 rebounds and 2.8 blocks per game), Smith will likely be looking for the security of a long-term deal.

If he wants it, he'll get it. It will just be less appealing than the one he thought he was getting when he entered free agency. He can thank the Sixers and Clippers for that.

It should be pointed out, though, that the author (Chris Mannix) wrote a similar article to this last summer, and no one else has really picked up on this story throughout the last year. I'm not sure how much coverage this is getting in Atlanta, but is it possible the author has an agenda here, because you'd think that this would have gotten some mention before now, given the Hawks' playoff run and the fact that Smith was probably the top free agent of this class, at least before Elton Brand opted out.

You know where Smith would fit in great? Indiana. Still need a young PG, Hawks? Have we got a deal for you!

Sad to see James go elsewhere, but at the same time I don't think it will hurt the Celtics TOO much. He was undoubtedly the key bench player for that team but they maybe can get by with Giddens and Walker getting more minutes than planned.

The big loser in this deal may be the Hawks' Smith. A restricted free agent, Smith has seen the market for his services dry up quickly. Philadelphia was believed to be the front-runner, but the Sixers pivoted and spent their money on Brand. After dining with Clippers coach Mike Dunleavy last week, it appeared the Clippers were preparing to make an offer. But in trading for Camby, they can no longer come close to offering Smith the kind of megadeal he's seeking.

Smith's options are now limited. Memphis is the only team with enough free-agent money to make a serious offer, but the Grizzlies recently made a commitment to Marc Gasol and have given no indication that they are interested in Smith.

The Hawks would likely raise the five-year, $45 million offer that Smith turned down last summer, but money will not be the only factor in the 22-year-old power forward's returning to Atlanta. As I reported in Sports Illustrated during last season, league sources said Smith would not be interested in returning to the Hawks if the team retained coach Mike Woodson, who recently signed a two-year extension. The two have butted heads frequently in Smith's four seasons, and sources said the relationship is beyond repair. With a dearth of offers, Smith may change his tune, but having a volatile relationship on such a young team may not be in the Hawks' best interests.

A more appealing, but less plausible scenario could be for Smith to sign the one-year qualifying offer with Atlanta and try his luck in free agency next season. But after putting up staggering numbers last season (17.2 points, 6.2 rebounds and 2.8 blocks per game), Smith will likely be looking for the security of a long-term deal.

If he wants it, he'll get it. It will just be less appealing than the one he thought he was getting when he entered free agency. He can thank the Sixers and Clippers for that.

It should be pointed out, though, that the author (Chris Mannix) wrote a similar article to this last summer, and no one else has really picked up on this story throughout the last year. I'm not sure how much coverage this is getting in Atlanta, but is it possible the author has an agenda here, because you'd think that this would have gotten some mention before now, given the Hawks' playoff run and the fact that Smith was probably the top free agent of this class, at least before Elton Brand opted out.

When he wrote ther article last year, Smith called it crap. This year, his father has said it was crap.

Josh Smith is a target for made up stories. Peter Vescey told the story about how Josh threatened to "bust a cap" in a bartender for not serving him alcohol when he was under 21 and that Josh Childress had to restrain him. Some douche from the Pistons told this story about how Zaza pachulia pinned him against a locker for cursing at him and told the story of how Josh cursed out Tyronne Lue or something like that.

All of the stories were proven false, by others present there (not the teammates, who also said they were bullcrap). I swear. You flip off ONE crowd and bear a strange resemblance to Game and all of a sudden you are a out of control headcase.

You know where Smith would fit in great? Indiana. Still need a young PG, Hawks? Have we got a deal for you!

Oh to dream, the impossible dream....

Seriously, though. Where does Smith end up?

Oh, and I hated James Posey in the Finals for some reason, and now he pairs up with one of the guys I absolutely love in the NBA, Chris Paul. I might have to change my tune.

Smith probably ends up staying in Atlanta with a deal a bit better than the $9 million per he was offered last offseason. Free agency has played out to a point where Atlanta's in a solid situation now; they can get him below max but still give him enough money to keep him happy and keep him in town another 5 years. Maybe $60 million? If they blow it and he ends up on a one-year deal, I fear for Ripper's well-being.

Thank you Bucks for saying the only thing they needed with their horrible backcourt defense was more horrible backcourt defense. At least he didn't sign with the Suns.

And Smith will probably be in Atlanta, although I have no confidence in management to give him a fair deal and he might opt for the one year qualifier. While that is usually risky, when you are 22 with enourmous upside, you can afford that risk.

My real worry is them low balling Josh Childress and him leaving for someones MLE(I mean, seriously, Desagna DIOP was able to get a full MLE...Childress should be able to).

Darius Miles had a good workout with the Mavs the other day and is close to sending a 9 million dollar fuck you to Portland if he gets signed somewhere.

I personally would like to see him in Phoenix, unless Porter is going to give Alando Tucker some PT this year. I don't want Grant Hill playing 6 million minutes this year.

Also, I would like to see Boris Diaw traded to New York because he is about to have a HORRIBLE season. I know Kerr wouldn't do it as a fuck ya to Mike D'Antoni, but he still could be a very special player in the NBA with a starting gig.

Lakers won't match for Turiaf, so he will be a Warrior.

Oklahoma City signs C.J. Miles to an offer sheet.

Oklahoma City Thunder is the newest rumor name. I hate it.

Keep team mascot names plural, and keep them things that can have mascots. How do you have a thunder mascot? Or a thunder logo? Or do you have a lightning logo that probably rips off Tampa's hockey team and pretend nobody will notice the difference?

I was pumped about the Barons, too, that mockup jersey was badass :(

Matt Barnes will sign a one-year deal with the Suns.

The Nets are getting Keyon Dooling in a sign-and-trade with Orlando for the $3.3 million exception they got in the Jason Kidd trade.

Has anyone else seen the new story on Josh Childress? I was just reading sports stuff on Yahoo and came across an article that is saying that Childress is a possibility to jump from the NBA to go play in Europe next season. Olympiakos is offering him a 3 year, $20 million deal that would also be tax free.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Amen...o&type=lgns

yeah, he is gone.

And they are probably going to lose Smith, learn nothing from any of this and not extend marvin this offseason. My team is owned by complete and total dumbasses.

At least you can root for PHX too.

I still have yet to determine who to adopt momentarily. I just know it can't be the Blazers (too much bad blood) or any California team.

At least you can root for PHX too.

I still have yet to determine who to adopt momentarily. I just know it can't be the Blazers (too much bad blood) or any California team.

If you are taking suggestions, I'd say New Orleans. Fun young team, not a lot of fans in the general public and not too likely to get broken up anytime soon. Although, they could be seen as part of reason the Sonics were taken away (giving OKC the feeling they are owed a team), so that may not help their cause for you either.