TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Boon

The NBA Offseason Thread

^ Agreed. Kobe seems more real. He's not looking to make friends or endorsements (even though he's got them). Win some games, and ask questions later.

I disagree. Look back to that Yankees-Indians game in October, when he showed up wearing a Yankees hat in Cleveland. Sideline reporter (I think it was Sager?) was like "wait, what are you doing, shouldn't you be supporting the hometown team?" and LeBron was like "pffff I don't care I like winning teams like the Yankees and Cowboys" and then a bunch of Clevelanders totally lost their shit that their franchise athlete couldn't be arsed to show some civic pride, and everyone else just kind of rolled their collective eyes. Jordan was stage-managed to be perfect; it wasn't till much later that all the cracks started developing. With a 24-hour sports news cycle and the beloved sports-focused spin-off of a Manhattan gossip site, no athlete's missteps or indiscretions will ever be masked or managed ever again.

See, I'm not sure I'd characterize "I'm wearing a Yankees hat because I only associate with WINNERS" can really be considered a misstep or an indiscretion, at least not on the level of, like, Michael's gambling/womanizing/psychotic competitiveness. Wearing a Yankees hat in Cleveland is obv. totally tone deaf, but the impulse behind it (to associate with "winners") is pretty clearly the same one that drives shit the Bron/Jay-Z relationship. It all seems calculated to position LeBron as some kind of titanic global icon, one who's basically indifferent to petty things like regional loyalty.

Guest Cal Moriarty

It's certainly a p.r. misfire when you're in a Great Lakes town that takes its sports very seriously. (As if Miami would give a fuck.) And like I said, yeah all that stuff with M. Jeff is worse, of course, but it was pretty well kept under wraps for some time. When he was a Global Icon, we never gave any thought to him banging whores or clocking Steve Kerr. That sort of thing was unconscionable. He was Michael Jordan. He was perfect; he could do no wrong. Maybe that antihero Barkley or those thugs on the New York Knicks, but not Michael. I see your argument that the whole "LeBron brand" may be somewhat calculated, but compared to Jordan's marketing, that's just some minor positioning and posturing here and there, rather than the complete fabrication of a paragon that nobody could ever possibly be. I like Alfdogg's assessment: Kobe has Jordan's competitive drive but not his marketing machine, LeBron has the machine but not the drive. That's not to say LeBron is dogging it out there, but we're talking about some real Type A shit, that pervasive overwhelming desire to succeed that most people can't even conceptualize, much less possess.

Josh Smith has signed a five year, $58 million offer sheet to play for the Memphis Grizzlies (!). The Hawks have one week to match the offer. They've previously indicated that they'd match any deal, but I wouldn't put it past that ownership group to screw this up.

All the more reason why the NBA needs to push Chris Paul as the new superstar. I mean, no one gave two shits about the Bulls before Jordan and after Jordan. Paul could have a similar, but a much smaller... smaller effect for the Hornets.

Josh Smith has signed a five year, $58 million offer sheet to play for the Memphis Grizzlies (!). The Hawks have one week to match the offer. They've previously indicated that they'd match any deal, but I wouldn't put it past that ownership group to screw this up.

Gotta love the Hawks ownership. Push your best player out so far, he'd sign with the worst team in the league just to get out or get a new contract.

Ok is Lebron seriously talking about Europe or was it just some offhanded comment he made like "Yeah I'll play in Europe....if they gave me 50 million!" *much snickering and elbowing follows* And now ESPN is just running with it and completely overblowing it?

Gotta love the Hawks ownership. Push your best player out so far, he'd sign with the worst team in the league just to get out or get a new contract.

They might only win like 35 games but a starting five consisting of Mike & OJ & Rudy & Josh & Darko would be crazy entertaining.

Ok is Lebron seriously talking about Europe or was it just some offhanded comment he made like "Yeah I'll play in Europe....if they gave me 50 million!" *much snickering and elbowing follows* And now ESPN is just running with it and completely overblowing it?

They were talking about Kobe taking $50 million to play in Italy on PTI today as well.

EDIT: And I guess Dwyane Wade's been talking about it too.

Josh is not going anywhere until his contract is up. After Childress bolted, Josh is one of the main reasons people come to watch the Hawks at all.

This news is probably known by everyone, but it wasn't posted yet, so I figured I would throw it into discussion:

Clippers are making moves, they traded a second round pick to Houston for Steve Novak and also signed "White Chocolate" Jason Williams. Seems interesting that the Clippers are signing two members of the 15-win Heat team in Williams and Ricky Davis before him.

Fransisco Elson will be joining the Bucks.

Nothing too exciting.

J-Will is a solid pickup considering he'll only be the backup point to Baron Davis. Despite having a rough start to the offseason, the Clips look like they should be decent next year.

They were talking about Kobe taking $50 million to play in Italy on PTI today as well.

EDIT: And I guess Dwyane Wade's been talking about it too.

Just a way to try and squeeze more dollars out of the teams.

On an Olympics-related note, anyone see Ricky Rubio completely own the Chinese point guard in OT yesterday? That kid is at least going top three in next year's draft. He's great.

Patrick Mills is my favourite Aussie basketballer in quite some time. Quicker than the hiccup, as JR would say.

Guest Vitamin X
On an Olympics-related note, anyone see Ricky Rubio completely own the Chinese point guard in OT yesterday? That kid is at least going top three in next year's draft. He's great.

Seriously! and he's not even 18 yet!

Three-team trade just hit ESPN

Mo Williams to Cleveland

Luke Ridnour, Damon Jones, Adrian Griffin to Milwaukee

Desmond Mason, Joe Smith to OKC

That deal makes some sense for all 3 teams. Milwaukee needed to shed some salary, Mo Williams is probably overpaid, and they got back a couple of expiring contracts (Jones, Griffin) and an ok replacement. Ridnour has his faults but he's a good distributer who could compliment Redd/Jefferson like he did Allen/Lewis in Seattle. And he's only on the hook for 2 years. Plus, you know, they signed Tyronn Lue, and Tyronn Lue gots to play.

OKC made themselves a better team by adding Smith and Mason, and they're both expiring contracts too, so they're in prime free agency position over the next couple years and the lure of the "new" franchise should be able to net them a star player.

And Williams is a big upgrade for Cleveland. He can be the #2 scorer and reliable shooter that LeBron needs. It's not the elite sidekick that he ultimately needs, but it's a much better fit than Larry Hughes was.

Guest Vitamin X

Oh GOD fucking DAMN IT. What LLGC said up there.

Blazers’ Roy to have knee surgery

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP)—Portland Trail Blazers guard Brandon Roy will have arthroscopic knee surgery to repair a tear in the meniscus of his left knee.

Am MRI, taken Tuesday revealed the tear, the team said Wednesday. Surgery is scheduled for Thursday.

Trail Blazers team physician Dr. Don Roberts will perform the surgery at Southwest Washington Regional Surgery Center in Vancouver, Wash.

This, of course, naturally comes the day after Oden is participating in full workouts. Let's hope Roy gets back quickly.

Zach Randolph, Darius Miles, Greg Oden and now Brandon Roy, one of Portland's stars undergoing knee surgery seems to be an annual thing in recent years. I just hope Roy's isn't as serious as the others were.

I talked to my school's athletic trainer (coach's perks!) earlier and he said Roy has two options with this injury, which doesn't really range in severity:

1. Repair the tear completely, sidelined 4-6 months. He won't be "as good as new", but it's better than the second option...

2. Remove the meniscus completely, sidelined 6-8 weeks at most, but risk future knee surgery (the big risk being microfracture) because there would be no cartilage. I didn't ask, but I guess they would have to remove both from his knee in the surgery since they'd be useless without the other.

Guest Vitamin X

But wait! A report from the Portland Merc, just because I like their reporting style better:

Don't panic! Here is the report from O beat writer Jason Quick:

Roy will need 4-to-6 weeks to recover from Thursday's arthroscopic knee surgery according to team athletic trainer Jay Jensen ... [snip] ... "He will definitely be playing by the time the season starts,'' Jensen said.

Also if you want to read more about the situation both Hoops World and Blazers Edge have excellent takes on the saga of Roy's wounded knee. In the future, I think the Blazers should get a punch card for their player's knee surgeries. Sort of like what you get at Quiznos. Once they get that 12th surgery, the 13th one is free. Plus they'll get a delicious toasted sub as well.

The Artest trade is now official; the Rockets also got the rights to Sean Singletary and Patrick Ewing Jr.