Sign in to follow this  
AnnieEclectic

ChocoSocko Roundtable: The Deep South

You Must Choose!  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Dirty South - Awesome or TL;DR

• Awesome
    • TL;DR

Personally, I find the Deep South repugnant. Not the people necessarily, one of my most respected friends lives with her g/f in the South. Dunno how, but they do. More the culture.

Cons:

-Bigotry - while the South can't lay claim to inventing bigotry, they're quite good at it. It's also practically a cultural cornerstone thanks to plantations and slavery but I think we've all been through enough remedial-level history to get this point.

examples - David Duke ran for governor of Louisiana. I'm sure there's better, but possibly not funnier.

-Weather - Hailstorms and Dust bowls and Tornadoes, oh my! Hot, humid, sweltering, and that's what I thought of North Carolina in the winter! Eww.

examples - so, how're those floods in Arkansas and Tennessee doing?

-Food (health)- I'll save most of this for below, but if you want healthy, southern-style food is not your first place to look.

Pros:

I won't be a total bitch about this, NO place is completely devoid of positives.

-Food (taste)- god DAMN can Southern folk cook. Sure, it's a heart attack waiting to happen, but mmmmmm. I haven't been to a southern person's house who cooked their own food that didn't taste spectacular.

-Football knowledge - Now I'm more of a pro gal (when you root for UNC, you kinda have to like the pros more) but you will NOT find a more knowledgable and crazy football fanbase than the southeast. Mostly on the high school/college level as I bet even Ripper would find more Bulldog fans than Falcon fans, but when I want to know something about football, I ask one of my Southern friends. They always know.

So - I open the forum to... uh... the forum.

Laughable to think that bigotry happens more in the south than in the northern states.

Also laughable to say the weather here is worse than say...the midwest? And I am sure blizzards are the bestest ever.

I say your views are probably skewed because people down here look down upon claiming to be something you aren't. If you are looking for someone to lie to you to keep you happy, you might just want to keep it moving.

Laughable to think that bigotry happens more in the south than in the northern states.

I didn't say "More". I didn't say it happens "A lot".

I said they're "Good at it".

Case in point - a KKK rally in the South will probably go off without a hitch all around. Free Speech protected, the people who like them listen, the people that don't protest, everyone goes home. There's actually nothing wrong with this intrinsically. I don't agree with the Klan, but they have as much right as I do to talk.

Up here? You get three guys in hoods in an empty college square getting pelted by 24 students with 2 dozen eggs each. A total debacle.

Also laughable to say the weather here is worse than say...the midwest? And I am sure blizzards are the bestest ever.

My other point - you're right about the midwest, very similar weather. I'm not a fan of that area either. However here's how I see weather phenomenon between the two areas:

Blizzard - you can walk in it.

Tornadic storm - you can walk in it. Until a signpost is driven through you.

Point for the snowflakes there.

Now of course these are my opinions, and my opinions in no way makes it fact. I'm just curious to see what it comes to.

I can tell you that the weather in the midwest absolutely sucks. It's either too hot or too cold or we'll have a week where it's 35 monday, 75 tuesday, 35 Wednesday, 65 Thursday, 40 Friday. That's not an exaggeration either.

The books of Edward Lee will ruin the Deep South for anyone.

The Deep South offers:

Moonshine

Meth

Relaxed views on bestiality

Ripper

The Ying Yang Twins

Yeah, I'd definitely give it a vote of "awesome"

Blizzard - you can walk in it.

Then it's not a real blizzard. In a true blizzard, the snow and wind is so blinding that you can not see more than a few dozen yards around you. If you keep your eyes shut and uncovered, the snow and ice will freeze them shut within half an hour. In 1888, 200 people died in the middle of New York City from a blizzard. Reliable forecasting prepares people nowadays but if you get caught in one, the shit is deadly.

I can tell you that the weather in the midwest absolutely sucks. It's either too hot or too cold or we'll have a week where it's 35 monday, 75 tuesday, 35 Wednesday, 65 Thursday, 40 Friday. That's not an exaggeration either.

Amen, brother. But I really rather like my tiny little existence here in the midwest. I feel safe. :)

I think people that have all these horrible things to say about the deep south are because of stereotypes. "this one time I rode through alabama and it was horrible so the south sucks."

I find the people here more likable and nicer (seriously, after you have been in another state for a few years and come back south, you have to get used to people waving and saying "Hi" to you).

Another thing, if you are from a small town like me, you get equal education. Large cities, you will get a crappier education due to your living conditions. Here, you can live in the projects and you pretty much have to go to the same school as the Mansion dwellers because there were no private schools and only one High school.

Also, sure, there are plenty of racist, but there are plenty of non dumbasses because of the opportunity for diversity. Once again, we have the mansion dwellers hanging out with the project dwellers because people just become friends because they are kids in the same grade schools. Great opportunity to get rid of the racial bias' that people have about people of other races because they don't actually know any.

We also have awesome beaches. Yeah bitches, miami counts.

And our strip clubs are 100% nude. Fuck you guys and your topless bars.

And for the bigoted deep south, Atlanta is the San Fran of the East coast. The gay and lesbian community is HUGE down here.

Guest blame that goot.

you're right about the midwest, very similar weather

I don't even have a song to debunk that. Fuck the heck are you talking about?

Amen, brother. But I really rather like my tiny little existence here in the midwest. I feel safe. :)

Don't ge me wrong, I love Omaha, but I hate getting sick every other week due to constantly changing weather.

I love that song.

You would be shocked how many people COMPLETELY miss the point. Its almost like they don't listen to the intro or the second verse.

it's like that in New England as well. we'll have four seasons in a week. it's amazing.

they go all the way up here. at least i know they do in Mass. or at elast, at Ten's showclub on Salisbury Beach <3

I've never seen a topless strip club. All the ones I have been to have been 100% nude, and most of those were in central Illinois.

Personally, I find the Deep South repugnant. Not the people necessarily, one of my most respected friends lives with her g/f in the South. Dunno how, but they do. More the culture.

Have you ever been to the South? If so, for how long? Where do you live, and where else have you lived in the past? Just curious.

-Bigotry - while the South can't lay claim to inventing bigotry, they're quite good at it. It's also practically a cultural cornerstone thanks to plantations and slavery but I think we've all been through enough remedial-level history to get this point.

That's your debating point? "They had slavery 150 years ago, so they're racist"? You sound kinda like someone who's never had to deal much with racism or racists in your personal life.

examples - David Duke ran for governor of Louisiana.

And he lost. He's also run for President several times. OMG, the whole country is racy1st!!!

-Weather - Hailstorms and Dust bowls and Tornadoes, oh my! Hot, humid, sweltering, and that's what I thought of North Carolina in the winter! Eww.

Hailstorms and dustbowls are very rare. Tornadoes somewhat less so, but they get as many if not more of those on the great plains. Hot and humid... so what? I'd rather be sweating than freezing. And it gets cold enough at times, it's dipped below zero degrees Farenheit a few times during my tenure in TN.

examples - so, how're those floods in Arkansas and Tennessee doing?

How about those horrific earthquakes out West which hardly ever happen down South?

-Food (health)- I'll save most of this for below, but if you want healthy, southern-style food is not your first place to look.

Only if you insist on having old-fashioned greasy fried Southern cooking. In some places, you'd have to really search to find a restaurant like that. Southerners pretty much eat the same McDonalds that the rest of the country does.

-Football knowledge - Now I'm more of a pro gal (when you root for UNC, you kinda have to like the pros more) but you will NOT find a more knowledgable and crazy football fanbase than the southeast. Mostly on the high school/college level as I bet even Ripper would find more Bulldog fans than Falcon fans, but when I want to know something about football, I ask one of my Southern friends. They always know.

No. The football fanatics in Texas far, far out-crazy the ones in the real South.

Case in point - a KKK rally in the South will probably go off without a hitch all around. Free Speech protected, the people who like them listen, the people that don't protest, everyone goes home.

No. The KKK was founded in the town of Pulaski, TN. A few years back, they tried to do a march there for their anniversary, and the town government banned them from setting foot in town.

We have to hear it on the news to know they happened down here.

You ain't feeling a earthquake round these parts.

Oh and cost of living...another plus

How about those horrific earthquakes out West which hardly ever happen down South?

Bad ones rarely happen here, either.

I know for a fact that Charleston SC is sitting smack dab on the Woodstock fault line.

The South has Sonic burger.

There's a Sonic in Delaware and we're getting both a Sonic and a Checkers here in town.

Hooray Jingus, debate points :)

Once I'm get my dinner I can reply but for the 'out of curiousity' part, while not nearly enough to say I really know what it's like, but I did live in North Carolina for 2 years, and visited florida and alabama once, and could not tell you a lot about either visit honestly. Just family down there.

Nor should I say that the consensus will be horrible. This is just my perception - and it could be waaaaay fucking wrong. Probably is!

But, the best way to learn is to challenge, for me. People tell me why I'm wrong, and maybe I'll find out I am. :)

mmm Thai food.

Guest blame that goot.
There's a Sonic in Delaware and we're getting both a Sonic and a Checkers here in town.

How can you care about food and be excited for Checkers?

The South has Sonic burger.

Sonic Burger... not that great.

Cracker Barrel? HELL YEAH!

The Deep South gets an awesome for Cracker Barrel ALONE! Also once when I was in Raleigh and my flight home got cancelled due to shitty weather and after an hour of bitching at the airlines I talked them into comping me a room there was a Cracker Barrel next door to the hotel and after telling the waiter what happened he got me free ice cream because he didn't want me to think badly of North Carolina.

FREE ICE CREAM PEOPLE! FREE!