Sign in to follow this  
AnnieEclectic

ChocoSocko Roundtable: The Deep South

You Must Choose!  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Dirty South - Awesome or TL;DR

• Awesome
    • TL;DR

While I'm more white trash than southern (more of a midwestern thing), I also am the target of a lot of abuse. But I don't really care. The north has it's own stereotypes, they're just more subdivided... in New England, they're a bunch of drunk Catholics who beat their wives and have a thousand babies... in Chicago they're fat, mustachioed incompetents who can't talk and worship Mike Ditka... in Montana they say "Oh ya, you betcha." and can't read past a second grade level... in Washington they never take a bath and play guitar all the time even though they suck... and in San Francisco we do nothing but eat tofu and suck dicks.

Whatever... don't get indignant about the South. Even though I have, at best, a hodgepodge accent, nobody ever gives me shit about it, if they mention it at all, it's in a charming/endearing way. If you actually go to the north, nobody really cares. Fuck what they say on tv.

But having said that... to say that the south isn't more racist is a blatant lie.

Yeah, racism exists in the south. And? You seem to be making the case that it's still a lot worse in the south than anywhere else, and I have yet to see any sort of proof about that. Especially since the racial situation gets better, not worse, over time with every passing generation.

Jingus, you constantly use straw man arguments in these situations.

I was responding to Ripper's comment that bigotry wasn't more of a problem in the South. I think I made a decent case that it wasn't, but whatever. I never said that it hasn't gotten better, or that the North didn't have racial problems of its own--in fact, I clearly stated that it did in my post.

As far as "proof" that racism is a bigger problem in the South than the North, I could probably dig up economic or criminal justice data. What sort of thing are you looking for? It just seems pretty asinine to think that, given its history of more virulent racism, and the success of seemingly racist tactics in Southern electoral politics, race isn't a more major issue in the South than in the North.

I don't know if your comment about the persecution of the beleaguered Southerner was a response to my post or not, but please:

Southerners are just about the only subculture in America whom it's perfectly acceptable and PC to mock

You're kidding here, right?

Just one example of mocking a subculture that I'm at least somewhat a part of:

And another example of marginalizing a subculture that I'm a part of:

http://www.mndaily.com/articles/2006/03/24/67686

I'll be okay, though.

For all the racism stuff, forget it. I'm tired of arguing it, and nobody's gonna change their minds.

I don't know if your comment about the persecution of the beleaguered Southerner was directed toward me or not, but please:

Southerners are just about the only subculture in America whom it's perfectly acceptable and PC to mock

You're kidding here, right?

No, I'm not kidding at all. While everyone makes fun of everyone at one point or another, the South seems to be the only entire region and demographic which it's okay to make fun of. If you tell a joke about Bubba from Alabama, nobody gets mad. Why is that? "Bacause it's true" is not an acceptable answer. Meanwhile, Michael Richards uses the n-word in an untelevised standup performance, and it becomes a media firestorm. And please spare me the standard "OH NOES you poor oppressed white majority, you've got it SO BAD" crap. Yes, I'm completely aware that the country is still mostly controlled by rich christian white males; as Dave Chappelle's White Pixie said: "Just remember, you still run the god-damned world!" It just annoys me that a joke about rednecks being dumb inbred hicks isn't considered to be just as offensive as some joke about black people really loving fried chicken. We are striving for equality here, right?

Yeah, Jingus, it's ok to make fun of everybody. Sure, somebody might get offended, but nobody that matters. Michael Richards fucked himself over with his bullshit "Afro Americans" apology.

This is a very brutal culture.

Look at Tropic Thunder... blackface in a mainstream comedy... what a time to be alive!

PC is dead... I called it here and now.

PC is dead

God I hope it is, within my lifetime at least. I want to be able to call someone a nasty name regardless of their race, gender, handicaps, or any other variable.

The Deep South offers:

Moonshine

Meth

Relaxed views on bestiality

Ripper

The Ying Yang Twins

Yeah, I'd definitely give it a vote of "awesome"

This is an issue not just in the south. It is a problem in the Great Plains and the Upper Midwest as well.

I am also surprised to find out that beastiality is not that big of a deal in the south. Who knew?

Not so much a Southern thing as just any isolated rural area where there's more livestock than available women. Refer to the "Fucking Wisconsin" thread for some examples.

I always thought Meth was more of a Missouri drug. I know it's bad in a lot of the smaller towns and especially up by Kansas City. :huh:

But yeah, I don't give a fuck who anyone is... I'm still going to make fun of them.

Meth is everywhere. But to me, it will always be associated with Florida. Mainly cause that's where I was when I was doing it. But I did it in Kentucky too.

I, for one, am glad that my state hasn't been grouped in with the South.

Southern Missouri may as well be an extension of north Arkansas

Wow, I'm totally with Ripper on this one. And I thought Jingus made some good points too.

Though I suppose that's not surprising, since I'm a Virginia girl and I spent a lot of my childhood in Louisiana.

PS. Y'know the real reason why we Southerners are less racist than you Yankees? Because down here we actually have to live with black people. As MikeSC once noted, in someplace like NJ, you can take an hour-long stroll down the boardwalk without ever seeing a black person. Here, you can't. Being a racist is pretty much the fast lane into irrelevancy.

Guest Tzar Lysergic
Agent, you've said you've been to all lower 48? What did you think of Oregon?

My favorite part of the country, actually. The entire Pacific northwest. The weather suits me and the people I met were better than OK. I was also surprised and fascinated by rainforest in North America. Same trip, I went up running around the Cascades and went back east by way of Glacier and Montana missile silos.

Worst is Mississippi, and it's not close. I don't care for the east coast, either. Pretty much everything including and between DC and Boston can go fuck itself. Some of the touristy shit and out of the way places were good, but I'd never live there in a million years. Don't fence me in.

The Oklahoma panhandle is pretty miserable too, ditto much of Kansas and Nebraska. No wonder they're all drunks and tweakers.

My favorites:

1. The Pacific Northwest.

2. Rocky Mountain States.

3. The Southwest.

4. The Mason Dixon line.

5. Deep South other than Mississippi.

Fuck these:

1. Mississippi

2. DC to Boston

3. Meth Plains

4. Rust Belt Midwest

5. Most of Florida

I'll agree that the Pacific northwest is pretty awesome. I also love Texas, Louisiana, southern Virginia, Iowa, and rural Wisconsin.

Georgia is WAY too muggy for me, though. Those Battle of Atlanta tournaments were almost unendurable.

The armpit of Florida (aka, "The Nature Coast") is home to some of the seediest hicks I've ever met.

And I agree with Ripper, especially when he brought up the fine city of LaBelle, which is deep south from the Swamp Cabbage Festival every year (Most recent SCF...and no, they're not my pictures).

Florida is a unique state because you can go from a city like Miami or Orlando, both hot spots of hipness or whatever, drive a few miles and you're in the fucking STICKS talking to Nadine at the Hess Express. You have hispanics working in country/western stores, hicks owning wildly successful businesses and you're able to buy homemade sweet tea and boiled peanuts from just about any gas station on a state road.

Georgia is WAY too muggy for me, though. Those Battle of Atlanta tournaments were almost unendurable.

isn't louisiana at least as muggy as georgia in the summer? i grew up on the savannah river, and on a trip to new orleans in july i vividly remember it being way hotter, wetter, and more oppressive than what i was used to.

Also odd of Florida was the in the middle of white trash, meth invested home for me, was the best Chinese food I've ever had in my life. And I've been around, I've had some good stuff. That place is seriously the top reason I'd want to ever go back there, well... maybe tied with seeing some of my family. Also up there is the chance to throw your dick in some 16 year old and have nobody care, and my old bukakke crew.

The nudist colony where my grandparents lived supposedly had scat parties, although I never tracked them down... Used to be a good metal scene, though my brother tells me it's gone downhill...

Actual, it is kinda fun. I was just miserable while I was there... but that was cause of myself, not my surroundings.

This is Tampa and surrounding rurality I'm talking about, for the record.

PS. Y'know the real reason why we Southerners are less racist than you Yankees? Because down here we actually have to live with black people. As MikeSC once noted, in someplace like NJ, you can take an hour-long stroll down the boardwalk without ever seeing a black person. Here, you can't. Being a racist is pretty much the fast lane into irrelevancy.

Also, I actually considered this, and it sort of plays into why I think racism is worse in the South than the North (for the record, I think racism is getting better everywhere, but there's a ways to go... everywhere. I do my part by constantly using the word "nigger", so it loses the power it once had)... in the North, white folk may be unfamiliar with black folk, and therefore uncomfortable or wary of them, but in the south, they can outright hate them.

In the North it's like "OMG, a black person! What do I do?!? This is like what I've seen on TV!" In the South it's like "Filthy nigger."

Irrelevancy? Maybe... but there's a surprising number of people who are comfortable with that. I mean, if nothing else, Marn is rich... that's a completely different dynamic. That's country club shit. I spent my formative years in a trailer. My people will still burn a cross. That shit ain't happening up north.

isn't louisiana at least as muggy as georgia in the summer?

Dunno about Louisiana in general. I was just south of Baton Rouge. It was pleasant year-round.

if nothing else, Marn is rich... that's a completely different dynamic. That's country club shit.

True.

I spent my formative years in a trailer. My people will still burn a cross. That shit ain't happening up north.

I beg to differ.

you know, i have to agree with this. about the lack of black people, i mean. the only black people here are from Haiti. i don't see any other black people. but i do see puerto ricans, mexicans, dominicans, indians, greek, iranians, koreans, vietnamise.... oh, and sometimes, i even see white people~!

Group protests at Cobb bar, calling Obama T-shirts racist

Mulligan's selling shirts with 'Curious George' picture

By CHRISTIAN BOONE

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 05/13/08

Marietta tavern owner Mike Norman says the T-shirts he's peddling, featuring cartoon chimp Curious George peeling a banana, with "Obama in '08" scrolled underneath, are "cute." But to a coalition of critics, the shirts are an insulting exploitation of racial stereotypes from generations past...

...Mulligan's has carved a provocative niche in an increasingly multicultural area, thanks to its owner's ultra-conservative political views. If you live in Marietta, it's impossible not to know what's on Norman's mind, as he posts his views on signs in front of Mulligan's...

Norman said he sees nothing wrong with depicting Obama as Curious George. "Look at him . . . the hairline, the ears, he looks just like Curious George," Norman said. He said he did not design the shirts himself but bought them through a Web site...

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/cob...igans_0514.html

:huh:

I thought David Archuleta was Kinetic and EHME was (no longer is) David Aceveda?

As for the South, I've only been to tourist attractions in Florida (none which would really qualify as the Deep South), and Atlanta for like a minute (airport), so I can't really make a call here.

It's nicer than West Virginia, I can tell you that much. People are pretty passionate about football. I mean, you're going to see the occasional lynching, sure, but so what? There are days in the winter when it's 65 degrees outside!

Group protests at Cobb bar, calling Obama T-shirts racist

Mulligan's selling shirts with 'Curious George' picture

By CHRISTIAN BOONE

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 05/13/08

Marietta tavern owner Mike Norman says the T-shirts he's peddling, featuring cartoon chimp Curious George peeling a banana, with "Obama in '08" scrolled underneath, are "cute." But to a coalition of critics, the shirts are an insulting exploitation of racial stereotypes from generations past...

...Mulligan's has carved a provocative niche in an increasingly multicultural area, thanks to its owner's ultra-conservative political views. If you live in Marietta, it's impossible not to know what's on Norman's mind, as he posts his views on signs in front of Mulligan's...

Norman said he sees nothing wrong with depicting Obama as Curious George. "Look at him . . . the hairline, the ears, he looks just like Curious George," Norman said. He said he did not design the shirts himself but bought them through a Web site...

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/cob...igans_0514.html

lol, he does resemble Curious George.

I've only been through West Virginia once, but it was enough to get me to agree that Atlanta > WV. Except for the traffic. Atlanta traffic must be seen to be believed. That shit's scary.

:huh:

I thought David Archuleta was Kinetic and EHME was (no longer is) David Aceveda?

As for the South, I've only been to tourist attractions in Florida (none which would really qualify as the Deep South), and Atlanta for like a minute (airport), so I can't really make a call here.

I did that on purpose.