TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

2008 Stanley Cup playoffs - round deux

Funny how the same four seeds went through in each conference...

EASTERN CONFERENCE

(1) Montreal Canadiens vs. (6) Philadelphia Flyers - Montreal swept season series 4-0

Thursday, April 24 -- Philadelphia at Montreal, 7 p.m.

Saturday, April 26 -- Philadelphia at Montreal, 7 p.m.

Monday, April 28 -- Montreal at Philadelphia, 7 p.m.

Wednesday, April 30 -- Montreal at Philadelphia, 7 p.m.

*Saturday, May 3 -- Philadelphia at Montreal, 7 p.m.

*Sunday, May 4 -- Montreal at Philadelphia, 7 p.m.

*Tuesday, May 6 -- Philadelphia at Montreal, 7 p.m.

(2) Pittsburgh Penguins vs. (5) New York Rangers - New York won season series 5-3

Friday, April 25 -- NY Rangers at Pittsburgh, 7 p.m.

Sunday, April 27 -- NY Rangers at Pittsburgh, 2 p.m.

Tuesday, April 29 -- Pittsburgh at NY Rangers, 7 p.m.

Thursday, May 1 -- Pittsburgh at NY Rangers, 7 p.m.

*Sunday, May 4 -- NY Rangers at Pittsburgh, 2 p.m.

*Monday, May 5 -- Pittsburgh at NY Rangers, 7 p.m.

*Wednesday, May 7 -- NY Rangers at Pittsburgh, TBD

WESTERN CONFERENCE

(1) Detroit Red Wings vs. (6) Colorado Avalanche - Detroit swept season series 4-0

Thursday, April 24 -- Colorado at Detroit, 7:30 p.m.

Saturday, April 26 -- Colorado at Detroit, 3 p.m.

Tuesday, April 29 -- Detroit at Colorado, 10 p.m.

Thursday, May 1 -- Detroit at Colorado, 10 p.m.

*Saturday, May 3 -- Colorado at Detroit, 1 p.m.

*Monday, May 5 -- Detroit at Colorado, 10 p.m.

*Wednesday, May 7 -- Colorado at Detroit, TBD

(2) San Jose Sharks vs. (5) Dallas Stars - Season series split 4-4

Friday, April 25, 2008 10 p.m. Dallas at San Jose, 10 p.m.

Sunday, April 27, 2008 9 p.m. Dallas at San Jose, 9 p.m.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 7:30 p.m. San Jose at Dallas, 7:30 p.m.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 9 p.m. San Jose at Dallas, 9 p.m.

*Friday, May 2, 2008 10 p.m. Dallas at San Jose, 10 p.m.

*Sunday, May 4, 2008 9 p.m. San Jose at Dallas, 9 p.m.

*Tuesday May 6, 2008 10 p.m. Dallas at San Jose, 10 p.m.

I have watched maybe 10 periods of hockey this season but I'm going with chalk in this round with Dallas probably having the best chance at pulling off an upset. I hope the Rangers can advance, but Pittsburgh is the type of team that will end up beating them in 6 with almost all of the games being decided by how well they can score. I don't see them winning a game without scoring at least 3 goals, and if they allow 3 that's almost a certain loss.

(1) Montreal Canadiens vs. (6) Philadelphia Flyers: Montreal in 6. The Flyers aren't that tough, but the Canadiens are apparently not that good, either. They need to show a bit more heart to have a chance of getting to the Cup.

(2) Pittsburgh Penguins vs. (5) New York Rangers: Rangers in 7. I think I'm going to end up regretting that pick, but I feel like the Rangers have the advantage in playoff experience and are just a stronger team. Their defense is tough and their goalie is more clutch than Fleury.

(1) Detroit Red Wings vs. (6) Colorado Avalanche: Detroit in 6. That's my conservative estimate. Nashville (And the Central in general) gave the Wings a lot more trouble than other teams did. The Wings will win, likely dominate a bit, but the Avs are good enough to take one or two.

(2) San Jose Sharks vs. (5) Dallas Stars: San Jose in 6. Probably the best series of the first round, or at least could be the most entertaining one. Dallas showed life, but that was against an Anaheim team that couldn't buy a goal. I don't think Turco is going to hold up well against a deeper San Jose team, though Dallas has been showing a lot of life.

What I think:

Habs in 6

Rags in 7

Wings in 6

Sharks in 5

The "what I'd want" would be the same, except substitute Penguins for Rangers, and increase each series to a full 7 games.

What I think:

Habs in 6

Rags in 7

Wings in 6

Sharks in 5

The "what I'd want" would be the same, except substitute Penguins for Rangers, and increase each series to a full 7 games.

You'd pull for the Habs?

With the exception of Sharks in 6, I have the same picks.

Thought this post should go here, and not in the first round thread.

Flyers were 4-0 against Buffalo in the regular season in 2001, and lost in the playoffs to them in 6. Hope that history repeats itself as the Flyers go past the Canadiens.

You'd pull for the Habs?

With the exception of Sharks in 6, I have the same picks.

Reason #1:

Reason #2:

Reason #3: Philly's douchebag fanbase that pulls the "this isn't figure skating" card anytime their team cheapshots another player. The Broad Street Bullies shtick was Ok when it was part of a very talented team. When it's a group of head-hunters & Danielle Briere (not a typo) it's another story.

As much as I hate the Habs, they didn't try to cripple any Bruins this season. Plus, I think it'd be more fun to watch the Montreal fans react when their team lost in the ECF or the Cup ... losing in the second round wouldn't have the same heart-wrenching awesomeness.

My brother saw James Duthie shaving and changing in a Swiss Chalet bathroom in Pickering today.

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, but I think it's a funny story that sort of fits in here.

Until that last incredible save, I think Biron played the worst period a goalie ever had without giving up a goal.

Hopefully as the game wears on Stevens doesn't shorten his bench as Thoreson and Downie were cycling like monsters.

What a good game between the Wings/Avs. I'm looking foward to the rest of the series :)

And seriously Johan Frazen is going on the back of my red wings jersey so I'll have Yzerman, Datsyuk and Frazen

I don't remember seeing a luckier comeback in a long time. Kudos to the refs. Someone explain to me how Kovalev's stick was below the crossbar, because I saw his stick was clearly above it. And I'm not one to constantly harp on bad calls because it happens to every team, but how can that replay not be conclusive?

The call on Richards was a bad break, but from behind him I can see why the ref would think it was a trip.

But I do want to know how they could say "conclusively" that the puck was not hit with a high stick. At best you can say the replays were inconclusive, so the call on the ice stands.

Yeah, and that's what I think the call had to be, was inconclusive....but the stick was clearly above the crossbar at the time it hit the puck. It wasn't level with the crossbar. He hit it with his blade and then the blade came down on the crossbar. I think they just didn't want to start another retarded Habs fan riot.

Did they say that on the broadcast? Must have missed it. I cannot fathom them gaining conclusive evidence it wasn't a high stick. Clear as day, and just a bad, bad missed call. I can't say it cost the Flyers the game, because they could have scored again after that if it was a no goal, but man, the refs are wiping me out with so many of these calls in the first two rounds.

I too am expecting huge things from Kovalev.

But I wanted mostly to say as a habs fan I am really impressed with the Kostitsyns thus far.

And regarding the highstick, do they call it as when the stick makes contact with the puck, or when the puck leaves the stick.

Because if his blade hit the cross bar and thats when the puck left the blade you cant call it a highstick because ultimately his blade would be even with the bar.