TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Naked Snake

Splatterhouse is making a comeback

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3167518

EGM Heads to the Splatterhouse

Retro revival blowout in the June issue.

By Philip Kollar, 04/22/2008

Splatterhouse is arguably the first survival horror game ever. Sure, it was a bit heavy on the horror and light on the survival, but it's hard to come up with an earlier example of a game with as much bloodshed and terror as this arcade beat-em-up. Purveyors of violence and filth that we videogame folk are, we couldn't be more excited to present the exclusive reveal of Namco Bandai's next-gen resurrection of the Splatterhouse franchise in the upcoming June issue of EGM.

But that's not even all! In addition our world exclusive first look at Splatterhouse, we've got updates on Bionic Commando, Street Fighter IV, Tecmo Bowl, Golden Axe: Beast Rider, Sonic Unleashed, Alone in the Dark, Alien Crush, Space Invaders Extreme, and Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix (including the first look at a popular red-haired baddie). Heck, we have even more than that. Retro is the flavor of the season, and EGM has all the scoops you need to get full

There's a Kotaku update that the developer is going to be Bottlerocket, the maker of Mark of Kri and Rise of the Kasai (good in my book, just not very Splatterhousey).

Also--a peek at Rick's character model: http://kotaku.com/383407/more-splatterhous...tails-bleed-out

Coincidentally, a few days ago I got my PSP hacked and have the Splatterhouse games on it (well 2 and 3--I'm going to look into MAMEing the arcade original).

Well, I got the new EGM in the mail, and here's the gist.

Sequel? Prequel? Remake? Other? : Remake. Rick is trying to save Jennifer, their Prof. Dr. West is either unwittingly or semi-wittingly behind this. Rick was left for dead until he found the mask/the mask found him. Creatures from beyond our realm called the Corrupted are falling out of portals and all hell is breaking loose.

The gameplay appears to be 3D action, with a fair share of other twists (there are traditional 2D sections as well, though). Naturally, weapons are in and will be used to dismember all manner of demon and undead (confirmed: cleaver, 2x4, shotguns so far). However, now you can collect "necrotic energy" from enemies and use them to fuel your Berserker mode, and Rick can also use it to raise the dead and make allies for himself (and solve a few puzzles along the way).

Also--about weapons: you not only pick them up from the environment, but enemy body parts can sometimes be used as weapons. You can rip off a monster head and throw it at enemies like a fastball, as well as use dismembered enemy limbs to bludgeon baddies with.

Rick has sort of a recharging shield to protect himself from damage--but with a twist: when he takes damage his body is often torn up and wounded. Some screens show chunks of missing flesh, and at one point his whole left arm is gone save for the bones and a few remaining muscles and tendons. However, the mask's power provides Rick with a healing factor, and he will regenerate in real time.

There's also Devil May Cry 4 style "jump nodes" used for platforming sections, and it appears these will often have more of a 2D perspective, and you will face enemies while dealing with them. Also, you can take advantage of the surroundings to perform "splatter kills," using environmental hazards to destroy baddies as well.

There's quite a few screens as well in the EGM issue. The look of the game seems Unreal-like, but no mention of any engine was mentioned. Overall, a good bit of info I'm glad to say, and I want to see the game in action soon.

Generally in survival horror, if you consider it a genre, you're controlling a weak character, often with limited resources, and facing legions of undead or otherworldly baddies--but often the best route for dealing with them is avoiding rather than confronting them. Plus, you'll often have to find and use various widgets and stick them in whatsises to proceed. Bad controls and limited perspective are often exploited to make the experience more harrowing. Silent Hill and RE1 is survival horror. RE4--many would say not.

In Splatterhouse 2K8, you're pretty much an unstoppable ass kicking machine capable of ripping of demon heads and limbs and bludgeoning baddies with them, and the name of the game is destruction and carnage. It's an action game with horror trimmings.

I don't see much correlation between them.

However, I recommend checking out 1up's Retronauts Podcast, episode 29, where they try to define the genre and isolate it's basic components. Although honestly it's less of a genre, and more of a way of saying "Resident Evil clone," because after that game and its use of the goofy-sounding term, people have often tried to pigeon-hole horror themed games into it.

yeah, that was pretty much my take on it....I figured it involves exploration, conserving supplies and ammo, solving puzzles and what not.

If they're calling Splatterhouse survival horror, shouldn't we call Castlevania that as well?

The OP in the thread mentioned that it was "arguably" the first survival horror game, which is like saying that Zelda was arguably the first RPG, personally.

Splatterhouse has always been something of a curiosity for me. The gameplay isn't exactly arresting, but it still manages to capture your attention with the other stuff, character design, setting, gore, etc. I'm very curious to see how it does in an action realm that already seems saturated with the same kind of stuff from God of War, Devil May Cry, etc.

Oh, I see.

Looks like Kollar isn't listening to Retronauts. There are early examples that are far more fitting (on Atari, of all things!).

Although the original Splatterhouse games do have several unexpected moments that can catch you by surprise and kill ya before you have a chance to react (bosses sometimes have one final, nasty surprise after you think they're dead).

The OP in the thread mentioned that it was "arguably" the first survival horror game, which is like saying that Zelda was arguably the first RPG (video game), personally.

Well if you discount Wizardry and all of its sequels and clones...it still doesn't work. :P

If this is a remake? Does that mean we'll get a proper version of the church boss battle?

Storywise it appears to be a remake. I wouldn't bet on seeing the locations and bosses carried over exactly. The screens show what appears to be a destroyed chapel but I don't think we'll have the same boss if so.

As long as we get the dude with chainsaw hands. Then I'll be a happy man.