TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

UFC 85 - Bedlam

That stoppage was much better. Good performance by Bisping, now it's time to step up at 185.

But, this has been a not very good show, and I'm glad I didn't order it.

That stoppage was much better. Good performance by Bisping, now it's time to step up at 185.

But, this has been a not very good show, and I'm glad I didn't order it.

yeah, not a killer show. Even a solid main event couldn't turn this into a buy for me

Poor Matt. I don't put much stock in that win, but that said, Hughes did, uh, nothing. But what can you do when Alves comes in four pounds over?

Good knee.

Poor Matt. I don't put much stock in that win, but that said, Hughes did, uh, nothing. But what can you do when Alves comes in four pounds over?

Good knee.

I still picked Hughes to win the fight. I always had him as the guy right behind GSP until someone else beat him...and someone else did

Good knee.

Please don't act like this was a big disadvantage for Hughes to overcome... This wasn't the 1st time Hughes had to deal with a fighter not being able to make weight (Joe Riggs), and in all honestly... 4 pounds isn't that much of a difference the way you are making it out to be. I think Thiago is just a better, more hungier fighter then Hughes is at this stage of his career.

Was Hughes at least competetive in the fight or was he dominated?

Complete domination

Wow, I guess that "Dead man walking comment" was right.

This really makes the potential Serra fight a lot more interesting. Hughes is too great to have his legacy tarnished by a loss to Serra but I know he could never live with that defeat as his swan song.

Was Hughes at least competetive in the fight or was he dominated?

Complete domination

Wow, I guess that "Dead man walking comment" was right.

This really makes the potential Serra fight a lot more interesting. Hughes is too great to have his legacy tarnished by a loss to Serra but I know he could never live with that defeat as his swan song.

Alves takedown defense was on point today, Hughes was only able to takedown Alves once, and that was from a kick Alves threw and he caught the leg. Even with top position Hughes couldn't do anything, Alves looked very comfortable off his back... And eventually scramble his way back to his feet... Hughes poses no really threat to Alves...

I really think Alves/GSP would be an explosive fight... Style wise, I believe Alves has a great chance to upset GSP and take his title if he can make weight.

Good knee.

Please don't act like this was a big disadvantage for Hughes to overcome... This wasn't the 1st time Hughes had to deal with a fighter not being able to make weight (Joe Riggs), and in all honestly... 4 pounds isn't that much of a difference the way you are making it out to be. I think Thiago is just a better, more hungier fighter then Hughes is at this stage of his career.

Can't really say whether or not it was that big a disadvantage, but I do think Thiago is a better and more hungry fighter. Four pounds is quite a bit to overcome, IMO. Especially for a guy whose talent has regressed like Hughes has.

I still think Alves needs to make weight in another fight before taking on GSP. He'd definitely be in line had he came in on weight.

You guys are killing me with the spoiler text. Stupid iPhone browser can't read it.

Leites/Marquardt sounds like it was a good fight.

Nah that's ok. I'll just read the thread when I get to work Monday. Only three more weeks without Internet.

We should probably discuss if its even warranted though. I say no but I can see why others might. Sometimes you just forget its a European show and stumble into the thread and then the show is ruined.

This is far from the last UK show so maybe we can come to a consensus before the next one.

Alves was fucking huge. No question he put on any weight he cut. I despise the practice of cutting 20+ pounds to get to a weight class below you. A few pounds I can see, but Rogan was defending Alves saying that he weighs around 200 normally, but cuts down to 170...then why the *FUCK* is he going down to Welterweight? Fight at LHW or MW. I just find the whole idea of cutting 20+ pounds to be insane, and for lack of a better word, pussying out. You hate the idea of being a "small man" in a division so much that you put your body through hell just so you can be the "big man" of a division. It's retarded. Weigh-In fighters as they get to the cage. Then if you cut 20 pounds, you'll DIE in the ring. Alves looked gigantic against Hughes, and I do think the weight played a factor. Even if they weigh the same at their "normal" weights, Alves already had a head start to gaining his mass back. I have no question in my mind that he weighed more by the fight.

And Mike Swick may be one of the most boring fighters in UFC right now, and one of my most hated. It made me so angry when he went from clinching and running away, to losing a point...and then deciding to FIGHT in the third round against Davis. I hate that "I have to win, so I'll just do nothing this round!" mentality you see in 10-9 fights. Swick knew he won, so until he lost a point, he didn't even try to fight in Round 3. Neither man showed me anything. Rogan and Goldberg flipped out on how Swick was controlling the fight, but all he seemed to do was more or less hold him down and grind him. This fight, and the Burkman fight have killed any faith I had in Swick. He used to be fun. I just don't get this "I have to win at any cost!" mentality fighters have. You won't get a title shot if all your fights are boring. Look at how long Jon Fitch had to go before he got a title shot, and Swick isn't that good.

Show was okay...Wiman & Tavares was by far the best fight of the show. Worst was probably Swick/Davis because Swick just made me angry.

I still think Alves needs to make weight in another fight before taking on GSP. He'd definitely be in line had he came in on weight.

If Koscheck beats Lytle at UFC 86, him Vs. Alves would be a great fight.

Ok, no need for spoilers. The show has had both it's PPV airings.

I actually really liked this show. I think it was because some guys I didn't like (Vera, Marquardt) lost. Although both losses were dubious so they weren't all that good.

I had to take issue with Mr. Nate the Great saying he wants a rematch with Silva and he knows he can beat him. Hello? I'm sorry but I didn't think you looked all that great the first time you two fought! Even when you had him on his back he seemed to be in more control. I heard Nate say he'd never lose to Silva again. That's a big claim. I remember Lutter saying the same thing. I think Silva would still hurt them both.

This turned out to be a very solid show, even though it didn't have the big names of 84 I found it just as enjoyable.

- To all bitching about the Vera fight, blame Vera for doing absolutely dicknothing from the bottom. I fucking can't stand it when fighters put themselves in bad positions, do nothing to get out and then bitch about not being hurt. Werdum was laying into him and Vera did NOTHING to get out from under. I like Truth and all but he needs to step back and take a look in the mirror when he's addressing blame here.

- It really sucks England doesn't have an athletic commission otherwise I'd say Nate should be filing a report to get that decision reversed. Doesn't take away from what was a good fight and hey, anytime we see a full-on piledriver in a fight I'm a happy camper.

- I don't know why Hawk is crying over Swick's performance, he basically shut Davis down completely and used his size and reach very well. Sucked to see Marcus lose but I like Swick so it's not terrible.

- DAMN did Bisping look good there. Awesome killler instinct when he was throwing down from on top, fantastic ground and pound.

- Hardonk earns the love of anybody who hates Eddie Sanchez for making us sit through his last fight.

- DOUBLE PUMP KNEE. Gee Christ Alves looked scary here, those shots he threw from on top were fucking lethal. I don't see what the whole debate over the weight thing is, unless all of it settled in his knees.

- Matt Wiman? Seriously? I don't know who he KO'd but it certainly wasn't the fighter who came close to beating Tyson Griffin.

Quick thoughts:

- While normally I would easily agree with the Werdum/Vera stoppage, the incosistency of G&P stoppages lately is driving me nuts. Vera may have seen the end of the round using Lauzon's mounted-turtle defense.

- While I agree that Marquardt losing based on a questionable point deduction sucks, I think some people are underestimating how much that knee changed the fight when bitching about Leites' performances over the rest of the bout.

- It wasn't a great fight, though I honestly can't fault Swick for fighting like he did against Davis. If anything, I'm more peeved at Davis for having no discernable gameplan.

- Bisping looked as good as expected, but he's on crack if he thinks his wrestling is anything resmbling good at this point.

- Hardonk may have beat Sanchez, but for a striker with no ground game, getting dropped twice by Eddie's loopy punches should put an end to any ideas of him being relevant in the division.

- Does Alves beat Hughes even minus the weight issues? Probably. But it's ridiculous to act as though Alves' stature at WW doesn't benefit him a great deal.

- Props to Wiman for hanging with Tavares on the mat better than I thought he would, but (apologies to EHME's feelings) his stand-up still sucks. Thiago seemed to be winning the exchanges, but Wiman simply benefitted from being a bigger, stronger guy (a la Maynard/Edgar). I still say he gets beaten up if he tries standing with most LW's in the UFC.

Thinking back on it, if there had been more then 10 seconds left in the round we'd have easily see Nate get another point taken away due to the piledriver so I suppose it balances out the incorrect point deduction.