TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nightwing

NHL Offseason Thread

Since we are nearing the end of the second round so soon, I figured I should make this. Any awards talk, trades, Free Agent signings, speculation on Brunnstrom and Toronto's GM position goes here.

Brunnstrom picked the right day to be at a Wings game. 13 Points including 8 goals from Swedes might be enough to convince him that Detroit is the place to be. Hopefully we'll hear soon.

No way, he's going to Vancouver with four other swedes. They might as well call themselves the Sweden Canucks.

Pat Quinn speculation is rampant around here.

To what end?

To the end of my Senators fandom, it looks like. There's speculation he may be the new head coach.

Yah these rumors are killing me. Although I really liked the Tortorella rumor that's been going around.

Pat Quinn speculation is rampant around here.

To what end?

To the end of my Senators fandom, it looks like. There's speculation he may be the new head coach.

Yah these rumors are killing me. Although I really liked the Tortorella rumor that's been going around.

Tortorella would be OK. I really like the Pat Burns rumours, though, if he's up to it.

Isn't Pat Burns still part of the "New Jersey Family"? I know he's working as a scout (or something comparable) and had thought that he'd declined the chance to interview with other teams in the past. Not sure if it's true or not, but for some reason I remember reading that he was content with his role with the Devils organization.

But hearing Sylvester talking is awesome.

I'd try to get Dale Hunter from the London Knights to take over the coaching position in Ottawa. The name escapes me but who was the coach for the Avs when they won the second cup?

No way, he's going to Vancouver with four other swedes. They might as well call themselves the Sweden Canucks.

Nope. He was very tight with Dave Nonis...Nonis actually went to Sweden to visit Brunstrom last year, Nonis promised that he'd play with the Sedins, etc. Then a week or so before he was going to sign, Nonis gets fired. The new Canucks GM hasn't spoken to Brunstrom at all. He almost certainly isn't going to come to Vancouver now.

Heck, it seems like most of those Swedish players on the Canucks may be gone by the end of the summer. Naslund may or may not resign, and the Sedins are rumored to be on the trading block. Alex Edler (a Swede) is one of the Canucks top trading chips, and if they all go then Ohlund might waive his no trade clause.

Guest College Party
But hearing Sylvester talking is awesome.

I'd try to get Dale Hunter from the London Knights to take over the coaching position in Ottawa. The name escapes me but who was the coach for the Avs when they won the second cup?

Bob Hartley. Didn't he just get fired or hired in Atlanta?

Let's talk Calder Trophy some more. Kane or Toews. Toews had 24 and 30 with a +11 in 64 games, Kane had 21 and 51 with a -5 over the full 82. Now I know that Kane has more points, but if you look back to January, the loss of Toews is what really made the wheels just fly off the tracks for this team. If he got through the year without being injured, this would've been a playoff team. Both players are fantastic, but you can tell that Toews is going to be the leader of this team for years to come. I have to give the nod to him.

Somehow its gonna be a split and both Toews and Kane will win, and next year both would be out with season long injuries after the first eight games.

2 things. What's the big deal about this Brunnstrom guy anyways? I remember reading stats on him and they weren't all that spectacular. Someone also told me he is DEMANDING to be put on a 2nd line with whatever team he ends up with.

Secondly, I can see a team throwing an offer sheet at Joni Pitkanen this year just to spite Lowe, which I won't really mind. He's a good puck mover and goes to the net but he's injured more than Kevin Nash. He packed up and left the World Championships this week and his coach had a few firing shots. I'll gladly take a 1st and 2nd rounder to get him off our hands.

From what I've heard, the whole "I want to be playing immediately" is something that was generated around him, not by him. He's denied it and was recently interviewed, saying that he wasn't the next "Sidney Crosby" and that he wasn't even sure that he was ready for the NHL immediately. He looks like he could be a great player, but everything got overblown when they started seeing what he could do and boasting him as the big Free Agent.

I was wondering the same thing about Brunstrom. Even with his quotes mentioned above, a pre-signing tour is at bit presumptious, isn't it?

Fabian Brunstrom also sounds like the name of an agent, as opposed to a player.

Guest College Party
Fabian Brunstrom also sounds like the name of an agent, as opposed to a player.

Nah, sounds more like a model.

Secondly, I can see a team throwing an offer sheet at Joni Pitkanen this year just to spite Lowe, which I won't really mind. He's a good puck mover and goes to the net but he's injured more than Kevin Nash. He packed up and left the World Championships this week and his coach had a few firing shots. I'll gladly take a 1st and 2nd rounder to get him off our hands.

I don't think a GM would make a move like that. It's one thing to really want a guy, and potentially be willing to overpay him to fill a need. But if the main reason is to just fuck with a GM for payback, or as punishment for a perceived deviation from a "gentlemen's agreement", it's bad business.

Having another team add extra salary AND lose draft picks? Win/win.

Guest College Party

The Blackhawks moved their radio coverage from The Score to WGN, and fired Dan Kelly from the TV booth, meaning they're going to rehire Pat Foley. Rejoice, Chicagoland and Canada! I don't know if this means they'll go back to one broadcast booth like they did before they fired him (I hope they don't: John Wiedeman is one of the best radio guys in hockey), but it's still a major improvement.

So long, Paul Maurice...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=237026&amp...s=topStory_main

It's interesting that the Leafs would fire the coach before making a decision on the new GM (who, presumably, would make his own decision on Maurice), but I guess no one was under any illusions that Maurice would ever survive until the end of his contract, no matter who the new GM was.

I'm surprised John Tortarella is not fired yet.

Anyways since the Leafs are going into a time warp, maybe they should bring back Rick Vaive.

Tortorella hasn't been fired yet?

It'd be cool to see him in Ottawa. I'd give everything I own to be a fly on the wall during a Tortorella-Murray argument.

Shame Ray Emery wont be there. That'll make some interesting TV.

Maybe Ottawa should get Maurice and Maurice could make Ottawa into the playoffs again. I can just see the expression on Bob McCowen if this actually happen (and his reply also)

So long, Paul Maurice...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=237026&amp...s=topStory_main

It's interesting that the Leafs would fire the coach before making a decision on the new GM (who, presumably, would make his own decision on Maurice), but I guess no one was under any illusions that Maurice would ever survive until the end of his contract, no matter who the new GM was.

I heard they figured the new GM would want his own coach, and it was fairer to Maurice to let him go now so he has at least a shot at an NHL-level position next season, rather than waiting to sign a GM and then getting rid of him...which shows exactly how long they intend to search. Basically they'll probably piss away the summer trying to lure Scotty Bowman out of retirement, fail, and then just throw money at anyone who will listen until one signs.