TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nightwing

NHL Offseason Thread

It's not "funny" like "ha ha" funny.

I'm happy with the Joe Colborne pick. Not to say that the knuckledraggers at the Bruins board are.

Anyone else who posts at HF...how is your teams board? The Kings board is full of drooling retards with hard-ons for 17 year olds.

Not many on there understand how important it is for the team to have a player or two over the age of 25.

I hate a majority of the posters on the Bruins board there. There are some intelligent folk, but a majority of them are the kind of fan who only seems to exist to complain.

Ducks owner Henry Samueli pleaded to one felony count of lying to the SEC regarding stock backdating. He will be sentenced on August 18 and is looking at 5 years probation and 12.25 million in fines.

Good move to lock him up. What they need now is to find a replacement for Steve Sullivan, who probably isn't going to play again, and certainly not at Steve Sullivan levels if he does. They were 16th in GA and 15th in GF, and they're certainly not going to accomplish anything being perfectly middle of the road like they are now.

Melrose is announced as Tampa's coach, Kevin Wellwood and Andrew "Waste of a Calder" Raycroft go on waivers, and the Bs resign Mark Stuart to an undisclosed deal.

And Darcy Tucker has been bought out of his contract.

BUT WHO WILL BRING THE INTENSITY TO THE LEAFS!?!?!?!?!?!!??!

Mark Stuart was re-upped for 2/2.6, cap hit of 1.3 million. I think Chiarelli looks at it as a trial contract. If Stuart keeps progressing as he has the last two seasons, he will be locked up in Boston for a loooong time. He's starting to develop into the physical shutdown defenseman that they were hoping for when they drafted him.

Last I heard (in the playoffs) he was cleared to practice. It's going to be interesting what Chiarelli does with him since his 4.33 million dollar cap hit is something that might hinder Chiarelli from making a free agent signing. Between Fernandez and Murray the Bruins have 8.483 million tied up through this upcoming season. That's Hossa money.

I'm happy with the Joe Colborne pick. Not to say that the knuckledraggers at the Bruins board are.

Add niskie & cnnsi's Allan Muir to that list of knuckledraggers. The guy plays Thornton's game, but with less skills (and, arguably, softer). And we all know how well Thornton's style of play went over in Boston. The pick, for me, goes against the 'physical, initiating contact' style of player that Chiarelli had been targeting.

And in response to:

Anyone else who posts at HF...how is your teams board? The Kings board is full of drooling retards with hard-ons for 17 year olds.

Not many on there understand how important it is for the team to have a player or two over the age of 25.

&

I hate a majority of the posters on the Bruins board there. There are some intelligent folk, but a majority of them are the kind of fan who only seems to exist to complain.

I started to dislike most of the people on the Bruins board so much that I moved on to the bostondiehards site. Most of the better members from the Bruins board are there, and they've done a good job of keeping bigger idiots out. I'm at the point that most of my hfboard posts are in the non-sports folders. (max, let me know if you need a link to the BDH site)

I should have read further down the thread before posting ^ ... sorry for the consecutive posts, y'all.

Last I heard (in the playoffs) he was cleared to practice. It's going to be interesting what Chiarelli does with him since his 4.33 million dollar cap hit is something that might hinder Chiarelli from making a free agent signing. Between Fernandez and Murray the Bruins have 8.483 million tied up through this upcoming season. That's Hossa money.

I don't trust Timmy Thomas to repeat last year's success. Having a good platoon is going to be key this year, and while MFMF is going to get paid more than a "platoon goalie" should, I feel more comfortable with Thomas/Fernandez than I would with Thomas/Auld.

I personally like the fact that Fletcher is cleaning house. Get rid of that old mentality from the previous regime and rebuild now. Hopefully within a few years they'll have a different attitude on that team and in that locker room. No more babies and their stupid no trade clauses.

Over 40% of his goals as a Maple Leaf has been on the PP. If your team is struggling on the PP, then you might want to add him, but to actually look for points? Third liner at best.

News and notes of the day.

Vincent Lecaviler signed a nine year/77 million dollar contract with Tampa Bay.

Brian McGratten has been traded to Phoenix. Expect his friend and former teammate to join him.

Kyle Wellwood has been claimed off of waivers by Vancouver.

I think it depends on the player.

There are, maybe, 10 or so "franchise" players that are worth that much money. VLC, I'd say, should be considered a franchise player and thus is deserving of the contract. The problem is that players that AREN'T franchise players are being treated as such. This off-season, for example, will probably include Hossa (who I don't consider a franchise player) getting paid like one.

Plus, it kind of makes sense to lock up someone like Ovechkin or Lecavalier to a contract like that, before the salary cap goes up (and thus the player-salary ceiling goes up, too).

Martin Straka is returning to the Czech Republic to play in the Czech Elite League. I wonder how much more of that we'll see.

Not a done deal yet according to his agent. In other news the Flames placed Anders Eriksson, Rhett Warrener and Marcus Nilson on waivers. I could see someone picking up Nilson. The other two, not so much.