TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nightwing

NHL Offseason Thread

Charter finally got around to adding the NHL Network to my cable service.

oh my god what have i been missing

Bertuzzi is placed on waivers.

The Tampa Bay Lightning traded a fourth round pick to have negotiating rights to talk to Ryan Malone and Gary Roberts.

Bertuzzi is placed on waivers.

You're a day late. He cleared them, and will become a UFA. I'm not surprised he didn't get picked up from waivers; his stock has dropped pretty considerably, and I wouldn't take him at 7.4 a year either, but he'll get picked up if the price is right.

Avery wants 4 years, 16 million. If he hadn't already burned this bridge I would seriously consider giving it to him. Overpayment sure, but fans always like him and he sells tickets.

As much fun as that would be, any resources for the Flyers need to go to the blueline. Especially if Hatcher is not coming back. They have plenty of forward depth, but beyond Timonen and Coburn there are a lot of 4/5/6 type defensemen.

i bet bertuzzi goes to the leafs and avery to the flyers

That wont surprise me to see Bertuzzi to take over the Power Forward position in Toronto. He'll fit the team nicely if Sundin stays in Toronto.

I can see Avery going out West, possibly to Calgary or Chicago.

The Kings traded Visnovsky for Jarrett Stoll and Matt Greene. What an awful deal.

I think I'm a Blues fan now. Oh wait, they have Andy Murray. Maybe I'll follow the Mullet.

Ok, not really. But this is a BUTT ass trade. Only thing that could make it nice is that we now have to spend a bunch to get to the cap floor. Hossa or Campbell ftw. Originally I didn't want to sign either one of those, but we really need to get to the cap floor. We need a #1 defenseman more, so Campbell, yeah. Not that I think it'll happen. I like both Oilers involved, but dude.

Lastly, this could mean that rumors are true, and that we will take Derian Hatcher and Glen Murray along with both the Flyers and Bruins first round picks in order to give them some cap room. We reach the cap floor doing that.

Yeah, good call. I like both Oilers that you got, but Visnovsky might be the league's most overlooked player...........

Hey, if it worked once, why not try it again? Ryan Malone, for whom the Lightning traded a pick to negotiate with, is a Bolt. They've done much the same with the Wild to talk to Brian Rolston now.

What's with trading the negotiation rights? Don't teams know that people are negotiating with these guys anyway before July 1?

That's what I thought, but Tampa's first pitch has worked on two of the three guys so far, and it still might work on Rolston. Can't argue with results, especially for a single draft pick.

They could with that top six:

Prospal-Lecav-St Louis

Rolston-Stamkos-Malone

And it's not like their bottom 6 is total garbage either...Halpern, Jokinen, and Oullet are solid players. Tampa looks pretty impressive to me, despite their terrible coach.

At the very least, I think they've shown the fans that they really do care enough to make some big moves and try to drastically improve the franchise. Can anyone fault them for that?

Hossa would make a great late birthday present.

Depending on where you read, Hossa is either very strongly considering Boston or hasn't given them a second thought.

Make it happen, Pete.

onpoint-header2.jpg

I'm impressed by the (additional) firepower and (additional) leadership added by Tampa, but I agree with RB. Their problems have clearly been goaltending and defence (and to a degree, coaching): None of which they've addressed. Barry Melrose's mullet is awesome, but that don't pay the pickle man. Moreso, it's becoming increasingly likely they won't have their best defenceman as of midnight.

On the other hand, I was underwhelmed (at least compared to a top-heavy offence), by the goaltending and defence of Pittsburgh and Detroit last September. We'll see, but I'm still thinking 'nay'.....for now.

Tampa doesn't even have enough cap room to keep Boyle, as he is getting shipped around looking for offers. The best goalie in Free Agency is Cristobal Huet.

However, Brooks Orpik, Mark Streit and Ron Hainsey can be picked up for a reasonable price on defence

They have the cap space. They have 11 forwards, 8 defensemen, and 2 goalies signed with a cap hit of about 45.5. With the ceiling at 56, they can sign Rolston and Craig...and they'll still be in good shape. They won't sign Rolston though.

Next year might be a problem. They'll trade Boyle, but cap room is no issue.

Tampa doesn't even have enough cap room to keep Boyle, as he is getting shipped around looking for offers. The best goalie in Free Agency is Cristobal Huet.

However, Brooks Orpik, Mark Streit and Ron Hainsey can be picked up for a reasonable price on defence.

Edit: Disregard. 909 corrected it.

And I'd say, just on paper, that Emery's the best goalie on the market.

Alex Auld impressed me in limited time last year in Boston, and has been a decent starter in the past. You're not going to win the Cup with him in between the pipes, but he's good enough to hopefully keep the score down while all that firepower racks up the points. And he'd also sign for short money.

And while it's barely "NHL Offseason News" ... raise your hand if you saw Ray Bourque on Main Street today while walking to get your morning coffee. Wait, why am I the only one with his hand up?

The Oilers are making some trades. Joni Pitkanen was traded to the Hurricanes for Erik Cole and Raffi Torres went to Columbus for Gilbert Brule.

Let's post a free agency rundown!

Curtis Joseph to Toronto for a year

Devils sign most of their dudes except for Brylin, so far

Brad Stuart re-signs with Detroit at 4 years, 3.75 per (good, he sucks, didn't want him back)

Devils re-sign Bryce Salvador

Pascal Dupuis stays with the Pens

Caps re-sign Mike Green to a 4 year 21 million dollar deal (holy fuck we are headed to another lockout this is getting out of hand)

Rene Bourque got traded to Calgary for a pick

Radim Vrbata signed with Tampa

That's all right now. With Stuart gone, we're going to have to pay four million to someone else in addition to what Blake's getting...I'm pretty happy about that.