TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nightwing

NHL Offseason Thread

We signed Denis Gauthier!

I like that. Building a group of tough Mofo's at the back. If nothing else, we'll fight and claw when losing every game.

I'm shocked that none of the big names went right away ... Campbell, Hossa, Sundin, Jagr, et al.

Especially because the Post had that rumor about Boston offering Hossa 12 years & $100million.

If you believe the stories, people are offering ginormous money at Mats Sundin, including one offer in the $10m/year range (presumed to be Rags or Habs).

Maybe that alleged 12/100 offer isn't as nauseating as I'd thought.

Tampa signed Kolzig too. Yeesh.

Not only that, but Washington signed Theodore. So where does this leave Huet, Colorado?

I'm shocked that none of the big names went right away ... Campbell, Hossa, Sundin, Jagr, et al.

Especially because the Post had that rumor about Boston offering Hossa 12 years & $100million.

Haha Jeremy Jacobs would never allow THAT!

So where does this leave Huet, Colorado?

Ha, Raycroft.

The Leafs gave JEFF FINGER a 4 year at 3.5 million per deal. What the fuck is wrong with this league?

Blackhawks signed Huet. That's the piece they need to get into the playoffs.

Darcy Tucker goes to Colorado...

I'm a big Kolzig fan and I hope he does well in Tampa Bay. Washington should have resigned him.

Yes and this league is messed up with all the money being thrown around.

Conkin signed with Detroit for 750k which is acceptable. Conlkin was solid last season.

A few observations.....

I like Toronto picking up Cujo for under a million as a backup, even if he is "washed up". I've always loved the veteran backup goalie, and he will help Toskala out, even if I do hate the Leafs. With that being said, LOL @ 3.5 for Jeff Finger. Ottawa has a very suitable backup replacement to Emery with the Auld signing. Auld is the perfect backup goalie in the NHL.

With regards to my own team, i've been listening to Edmonton radio and the latest rumor is Lowe offering 7 years at 70 million for Hossa. Even if it is an overpayment, Hossa IS the guy that Ales Hemsky needs. I doubt it happens but I can dream.

LOL @ Campbell being a 7.1 million dollar player.

I think we'll be hearing from Czech a bit more in the regular season.

I heard about the Nucks wanting to sign Mats to a two year, 20 million contract.

Chicago is going to be a team to look forward to next year. I can allready see a Chicago/Detroit conference finals.

We might trade for the Bulin Wall as part of a salary dump. Easy way to get Chicago's first, cause they won't be under the cap unless they ditch him.

I'm happy with what we've done today, but I still hate Lombardi with a passion. He fucked up last offseason and the one prior to that so badly that I don't think we'll ever recover. His plan of holding every pick in the 2010 draft is a fucking failure. God forbid we field an NHL team.

Brian Rolston is now a member of the New Jersey Devils. A four year, 20 million dollar contract for the form Wild captain.

They'll be regretting that in two years.

In related news, Marian Hossa just put the down payment on a rocket car and solid gold house. Campbell somehow fleecing 7.1 million out of Chicago and Rolston being paid 5 million a year until he's 39, Hossa could feasibly take the max (ha ha) contract 11.3 million.

Rangers re-sign Rosival, 4 years 20 mil.

I like Rosival a bunch, but 4 years 20 mil? What the fuck? He's not worth that much money. Money we need to re-sign Jaromir Jagr, perhaps? Or Sean Avery? or Brendan Shanahan?

Having said that, if we didn't sign Rosival we'd be pretty much fucked. Campbell and Liles both have new homes, and there's not much left. If we can get Redden without over paying him I'd like that, but I don't want to break the bank over that guy.

With the whole deja vu movement going on in Toronto sports, I half thought the Leafs would sign Felix Potvin to a deal today.

I'm very concerned about who's going to back up Gerber with all of the goalie signings elsewhere today.

The Islanders sign Streit to 5/20.5 contract. One would assume that they're hoping he can bolster their powerplay, but then one would assume that if that were true, Streit would come with Markov and Kovalev.

Rangers re-sign Rosival, 4 years 20 mil.

I like Rosival a bunch, but 4 years 20 mil? What the fuck? He's not worth that much money. Money we need to re-sign Jaromir Jagr, perhaps? Or Sean Avery? or Brendan Shanahan?

Having said that, if we didn't sign Rosival we'd be pretty much fucked. Campbell and Liles both have new homes, and there's not much left. If we can get Redden without over paying him I'd like that, but I don't want to break the bank over that guy.

Redden to the Rags for 6/39.5.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

Professional sports, huh?

My internet has basically been down all day, so I missed a lot of the "Real-Time" coverage that I can't get due to ESPN being a bunch of douchebags who like to wank off to what Gilbert Arenas is or isn't doing today. Unfortunately, none of them realized that unless he is growing new knees, it really doesn't matter all that much.

But wow. Seriously, this looks like it was a feeding-frenzy. Wings resign Stuart, which was a great move as he's a perfect 3rd/4th defenseman and ideal to be skating alongside Kronan the Barbarian. And we net Conklin for 750k? Perfect. I would have liked to see another scorer, but I'm perfectly fine with this result on just the first day: No overspending, and picking up no-brainers.

If what we've seen so far is the going rate on players (especially defensemen) I hope Chiarelli has already gone home. As it is though, he had a conference call set up with various media types that has now been postponed for almost four hours. Either he's kept them all on hold just to see if he could or he has something to announce.

The Islanders sign Streit to 5/20.5 contract. One would assume that they're hoping he can bolster their powerplay, but then one would assume that if that were true, Streit would come with Markov and Kovalev.

I'll echo this: I'm going to miss Streit, but the Isles need plenty more.