TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nightwing

NHL Offseason Thread

My wife and I decided to use our frequent flyer points on our flight to Vancouver last month, and pay cash for our flight to Miami last winter, instead of the other way around as we were planning (how expensive could a domestic flight be, right?). I figure we saved about $600.

Flying to Seattle and then commuting is definitely the best option. A bus ticket to Vancouver is under $100, and the bus station isn't far from GM Place or downtown.

I'm still debating whether to go. I don't make or have a lot of money which is the big drawback obviously. But Trevor Linden's my favourite player and I always said I wanted to see them retire #16 in person, and now it's happening.

I checked amtrack, it's $60 roundtrip Seattle to Vancouver, so I'm exploring my options.

People have said, is it worth (x) amount just to see this, and that's the thing: is it? I've never seen a Canucks home game before and I went to the game where they honoured Sittler and the Knicks game where they retired Ewing's #33 and those were just incredible moments

Northwest has $391 to Seattle, and I'd go from Monday to Thursday, taking a redeye back Friday morning.

Of course, first I have to get a ticket to the game.

My friend put it best saying: When else will you get to see this?

Funnily enough, I know the Canucks' president's brother, but I don't think that will get me far

I'd do it. You don't get many chances to see moments like that. Money's just money, you'll get more of it eventually.

I still regret not being able to get a ticket to see Gretzky's last game in Canada.

Do it. If you decide down the line "Hey, money's tight, maybe I shouldn't have", it's a life lesson. If you decide not to go now, you're missing out. Do it.

Hell, I'm a Habs fan, and I'd love to be there when they retire Linden's number.

Mathieu Schneider was waived by the Ducks.

He cleared waivers. If he goes on re-entry waivers, I'd fully expect Tampa to pick him up for half price.

Bergeron has been practicing, is cleared medically and ready for camp to start. He's back to his normal weight and has been cleared for contact since the first round of the playoffs last year. There were rumors of him looming for games 5, 6 and 7, but the Bruins played it safe and kept him out.

He's on for opening night. I'd guess with some combination of Kobasew, Kessel or Lucic.

I saw that, but if Afingenov going to have another lackluster start, he'll be traded before Christmas

I've been wanting them to dump Afinigenov for the last two years. It isn't because he'll disapear from score sheets for long stretches...it's because the motherfucker kills more rushes by putting himself offside than ANYONE in the NHL. He also loves to turn the puck over...and since he can't play even the slightest bit of defense...that's not so good.