TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

Japanese MMA Thread

I'm PVR'ing it tonight and yeah, I'm in the same boat because I usually wake up and instantly type in MMAJunkie.com. Mirko/Overeem, you're right is a pick 'em simply because when both guys show up in form they're great fighters but if the Overeem that fought Nogeuira and the Cro-Cop that fought Kongo show up they're flaky as shit.

Not going to say anything for anyone who hasn't seen or read spoilers...but not a good show. From the minute the show started, something felt off, and it never got really going.

The fact that there was TWELVE fights didn't help either.

Cro-Cop/Overeem no contest was fucking bullshit. Overeem looked like a tank, for one, and two he was destroying Cro Cop with those knees until he went low a few times. Just a shitty, shitty way for the fight to turn out.

Mousassi as champ is fine by me, but I hated the ending to the final. It was a sick upkick and all but fuck... it just seemed so random.

Seriously, though, Akiyama is the fucking best. The opera music, the choreographed moves planned to elicit boos, the rope jump at the end of the music... he's the best. Somebody needs to send Josh Koscheck a DVD of all of Akiyama's entrances and crowd reactions ASAP.

But yeah, this was the worst of the DREAM cards.

Yeah, I recorded the wrong showing and ended up recording the condensed replay at 4:30 PM. Due to my schedule this actually worked out as the best solution.

Here's EVERYTHING you missed:

Overeem shows up with about 20+ pounds of extra muscle which he uses to manhandle Cro Cop. He has Mirko on his back a lot... working him over. Busted him up under his left eye and was pretty much handling him on the ground. They get to their feet and Mirko lands a pretty nice body kick, goes for a headkick and Overeem catches the leg and takes him right back down. More GnP from the top. They stand...Overeem hits a vicious knee to the midsection that looks like it hurt Mirko... he goes for another one and hits nuts. 5 minute pause or so. They get back and Overeem clinches again and hits another two-three solid knees that looked like they damage Mirko before he hits balls AGAIN... no contest.

Pretty much all Overeem, legally or illegally.

Jacare/Mousassi was pretty much Jacare going for takedowns... once on the ground he was utilizing some GnP to look for subs but didn't really come close to landing any. Both guys were about 100% fresh and Jacare had Gegard on his back... he went for some punches from a standing position... Mousassi whiffed on the first upkick and hit the second one flush on the jaw to KO him instantly. Jacare just slumped down to the ground like he'd been shot. And that's the end of the show.

The big loser last night, in my opinion, was Manhoef. When I was watching his entrance I was thinking... man, this guy could be a friggin' megastar in the US. And then he goes out and gets tooled quite handily. Oh well.

Here's a question for those who really know about Japan much more then I do... is Akiyama respected but booed (kind of like a good wrestling heel... you think he's great but boo him because it's part of the fun) or do they just flat out hate this guy?

I think it depends on the fan, really. I'm sure there are die-hard Sakuraba fans around that would be pleased as punch if he got run over by a car and I think there's also fans who've in a sense forgiven him for his transgressions but still pay in the hopes that he gets his ass kicked.

Still, best entrance in MMA.

It's not just because what he did to Sakuraba. That didn't help, but that isn't the full reason why Akiyama is booed.

Akiyama is a Korean who is legally Japanese. Kind of like Pro-Wrestlers like Riki Choshu. Rikidozan and Akira Maeda. When Akiyama did that to Sakuraba, he was "outed" as a Korean, and a huge public outcry/media blitz took place. Japan and Korea have always been enemies, and on both sides there is alot of hatred.

So, when Akiyama gets booed, it's part past transgressions, part act, and part racism. It's not as awesome when you know everything. Yet it still is, because the man milks it.

As for Overeem/Mirko...Overeem was winning, but I don't think that means Overeem was a lock. Mirko wasn't looking good, but Overeem has a history of gassing. With his mass, and his pace, he could have gassed out. In any case, he needs to learn how to fucking aim those knees. He hit Mirko *ATLEAST* four times I saw in the groin, with the last being an absolute monster right to the nuts. Mirko was on the ground crying over how much it hurt. There was no way Mirko would/could have continued from that.

Because Overeem wasn't trying to do it. The one that really dropped Mirko was an absolute monster where both threw knees. Mirko's legs were apart because of it, and Overeem just...*WHAM*, right up the alley you could say. Before that he only hit one clean one, and a couple grazes. But that final one...My god. They said Mirko's ball was *INSIDE* him.

Mirko got lucky that the ref caught it, because Overeem immediately nailed him, threw him with a slam and looked to kill him. He didn't seem to care at all that he crushed his manhood. Even while Mirko was crying, Overeem came off like a dick. He didn't seem to care at all...and then cut a promo like he won.

Fedor smiled at Mirko's misfortune. Not like "Hah, served him right!", but more of the "football in crotch" variety of groin related humor.

Fuck ya'll :)

K1 Premium Dynamite 2008- Dec 31'st, Japan

Mirko Cro-Cop vs Alastair Overeem II- Mirko has told a Croatian site that this is on

J.Z Cavalcante vs Joachim Hansen II (Rumored)

Japanese NYE show:

Middleweight: Kazushi Sakuraba (24-11-1) vs. Kiyoshi Tamura (32-13-2)

Lightweight: Joachim Hansen (19-7-1) vs. Gesias Cavalcante (14-2-1)

Thread has been changed from the DREAM grand prix thread to the Japanese MMA thread.

There aren't many of us who are participating in this thread anyway so might as well just consolidate it.

Yeah, I'm not too happy about this. Japanese MMA is dying, but there's still more then just one subject here. K-1, NYE, how Sengoku's going to bomb like fuck soon, etc, etc. Plenty of topics. Not *MY* fault if ya'll are North American biased.

But I shall go with it.

K-1 World Grand Prix is this week. This is my favorite event every year. Great action, great drama, and legitimately the top fighters within the company fighting it out to decide who's the top guy for the year.

The major hook this year? No Semmy Schilt. Peter Aerts managed to outpoint him in the elimination show. That should increase interest dramatically.

Peter Aerts vs. Badr Hari

Errol Zimmerman vs. Ewerton Texeira

Gokhan Saki vs. Ruslan Karaev

Remy Bonjasky vs. Jerome LeBanner

There's no reason to miss this show either. HDNet are airing it. Which means you will be readily be able to find streams or even torrents after it ends.

I've watched the K-1 finals live several years in a row now. Do not miss this show.

K-1 Grand Prix Finals is on tonight. Anybody gonna stay up and catch it? I'm looking forward to this one more than any GP since '02 with Sapp and Hoost; lots of interesting match ups and a good mix of vets and fresh blood. Really, really looking forward to the Aerts/Hari showdown.